AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 4 10.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 44.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 26.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 15.79%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.63%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-22, 23:29   Link #21
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Well at least this episode will silence people saying that Yuuta is asexual. He IS thinking about doing stuff with his girlfriend, but he's just doing an admirable effort in keeping his libido in check.

It's just one of things that the two will get to, but "eventually" rather than hormone-fueled "I'm feeling hot lets do this right now" now. Which is just a mistake waiting to happen (looks at WA2).
Old 2014-01-22, 23:35   Link #22
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Well at least this episode will silence people saying that Yuuta is asexual. He IS thinking about doing stuff with his girlfriend, but he's just doing an admirable effort in keeping his libido in check.
B-but he said he doesn't need his Dark Flame Dragon.
Old 2014-01-22, 23:45   Link #23
Aquifina

Quote:

I'm boggled at how many people here interpreted what Rikka said as innuendo. Like Kanon, I didn't even think of it until you guys here mentioned it.
Same here. I think it's Rikka's way of saying she wants to be a part of Yuuta growing as a person. Unlike Yuuta, who is a very typical teenage boy, Rikka seems too shy and clueless to use that kind of innuendo.

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this episode, considering my mixed impressions of the first season, but I thought this episode very well done. Sichimiya had great chemistry with Yuuta, but the writers did not try to get some cheap dramatic tension with a clichéd love triangle. But I think that despite Yuuta's admirable declaration of loyalty to Rikka, Sichimiya isn't going to concede so easily. So we'll get some romantic tension minus an annoying and oblivious male lead. And I liked how Yuuta noticed Rikka's jealousy and actually did something productive about it.
Old 2014-01-22, 23:50   Link #24
Aquifina

Quote:

It's just one of things that the two will get to, but "eventually" rather than hormone-fueled "I'm feeling hot lets do this right now" now. Which is just a mistake waiting to happen (looks at WA2).
Also, Yuuta realizes Rikka is so NOT ready for that sort of thing. But his collection of magazines shows he's still a teenage boy.
Old 2014-01-23, 01:51   Link #25
The Green One

What? A considerate anime male lead who's understanding of his cute girl friend and is doing his best to exercise patience until she's more ready for physical intimacy? As well as promptly talk it out with her and gently reassure her when his old childhood friend makes a flirtatious gesture at him right in front of her making his girlfriend doubt him and feel uneasy.

You all say it like he's some sort of bizarre zoo animal for behaving like that.
Old 2014-01-23, 03:00   Link #26
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
I think there is a mistake in the sub at 23:35. Sophia was the one who transferred school not Yuuta..
I think you are confusing the LN with the anime. Not to take that discussion here, but i read that in chapter 3 or 4.

In the anime it's clearly stated that it was Yuuta the one who transferred. Also, i think the LN Satone seems to be different. I'm only on chapter 4 of LN 1, but the LN version mentioned and the anime version seem different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One
What? A considerate anime male lead who's understanding of his cute girl friend and is doing his best to exercise patience until she's more ready for physical intimacy? As well as promptly talk it out with her and gently reassure her when his old childhood friend makes a flirtatious gesture at him right in front of her making his girlfriend doubt him and feel uneasy.
After been annoyed at Ichika in IS, Yuuta's attitude it's very very refreshing and considerate. He's actually a stand up guy. That makes him much more unrealistic, sadly.
Old 2014-01-23, 04:56   Link #27
ices
Working Hard

^ user ultimatemegax has a comment about that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax
Note: The subs provided to the official streaming outlets by TBS (and made by Sentai) were incorrect regarding what happened in middle school. To clarify, Shichimiya left Yuuta without warning one day, which bothered him, thus the confrontation at the end to discover why she left. There's no direct pronoun, so it's an easy mistake, but it does change the context of the conversation a lot.
Also, if we think logically, it's strange that Yuuta was the one who left without saying goodbye, but that Sophia was the one explaining why he did that. And then Yuuta acts surprised by her explanation.

If we go with Shichimiya that leave Yuuta without saying goodbye, then the conversation becomes like this:

Yuuta: I forgot.
Shichimiya: Huh?
Yuuta: You never did say goodbye to me when you left, did you?
Shichimiya: Yeah.
Yuuta: You never said anything to me... when you transferred schools. You just left.
Shichimiya: That's because that would be goodbye. Once you say your farewells, that becomes goodbye.
Yuuta: Is that how it works?
Shichimiya: As long as you lived somewhere in the world... it was never goodbye. It is never goodbye until you say farewell. That is the logic of the world, and one of the natural laws.
Yuuta: You never change.
Shichimiya: I will remain unchanged for all eternity!

Ah, and I also note that Yuuta said three times in this episode that Shichimiya never changed.
Old 2014-01-23, 04:58   Link #28
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnOfEridu View Post
I think you are confusing the LN with the anime. Not to take that discussion here, but i read that in chapter 3 or 4.

In the anime it's clearly stated that it was Yuuta the one who transferred. Also, i think the LN Satone seems to be different. I'm only on chapter 4 of LN 1, but the LN version mentioned and the anime version seem different.
It's not just because of the LN.

With the way Sophia reply to Yuuta after he said that felt to me more like follow up answer to, "You didn't say goodbye to me when you left didn't you? You just left without saying a thing to me when you transferred school." Yuuta seems bitter even though he's the one who should be apologizing if he's the one who transfer. Try watch that part again and switching the pronouns from I's to you's and see if the answer makes more sense. That's just my impression and combine with Japanese conversation which tends to leave out its pronouns.

EDIT: I'm too slow. See the post above.

Last edited by teja208; 2014-01-23 at 05:02. Reason: Just saw the post above.
Old 2014-01-23, 06:19   Link #29
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
It's not just because of the LN.

With the way Sophia reply to Yuuta after he said that felt to me more like follow up answer to, "You didn't say goodbye to me when you left didn't you? You just left without saying a thing to me when you transferred school." Yuuta seems bitter even though he's the one who should be apologizing if he's the one who transfer. Try watch that part again and switching the pronouns from I's to you's and see if the answer makes more sense. That's just my impression and combine with Japanese conversation which tends to leave out its pronouns.

EDIT: I'm too slow. See the post above.
Umm, i'll rewatch it tonight. I think i was the confused one.
Sooo, to recap, Satone transferred first in the middle of middle school, and then Yuuta transferred starting high school, right? (i guess this is not spoiler since info a is from season 1 and info b is in this ep).

I hindsight, it thought that exchange was a little weird. But anyways, live and learn.
Old 2014-01-23, 06:28   Link #30
Kisumi
where's my identity?..

Beautiful episode. Completely felt in love with Shichimiya.
Something I want to highlight - the moment when Shichimiya and Yuuta were rembering their past days. I think, you can imagine what Rikka feels in that moment. She's trying to awake chuunibyou in Yuuta (this is that Dragon - his powers, I think) and she's trying very hard and she hears how he was so kakkoi with someone else. I assume it is pretty important moment to understand her.
Old 2014-01-23, 06:39   Link #31
MasterVampire

Oh come on why not a real kiss?
Old 2014-01-23, 07:53   Link #32
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I just got finished watching the episode and I am pleasantly surprised. Not for a single moment did I find Shichimiya annoying. In fact, she was actually rather cute! And that chunnibyou fight between her and Rikka was great, though Shichimiya really stole the show for me. And jealous Rikka is, of course, adorable. I really, really enjoyed the whole thing.

Waiting for the next episode is going to be tough. I'm wondering how they're going to handle Shichimiya in terms of the progression of Yuuta and Rikka's relationship. I know she's meant to serve as an element to propel it forward, but I'm curious as to how they're going to go about that without putting her into some stereotypical love triangle-esque role. If Shichimiya really holds true to her claim of supporting them, this could get pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
And I liked how Yuuta noticed Rikka's jealousy and actually did something productive about it.
This, this, this. That was SO satisfying to see.
Old 2014-01-23, 09:38   Link #33
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well have seen 3rd ep give now finally meet satone give rika well it's so on from chuu-battle & yuta as well.

poor yuta indeed give (how many times we seen jun fuku doing crossdress from MM! & we know green hair trap) but a magical girl brain bleach it.

oh nose to nose kiss doing now that bit "hmm" well more to go in it.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
Old 2014-01-23, 10:47   Link #34
Anime299

I was going to consider Satone as a possible interest for Isshiki, since I don't want to break up our main couple, but Satone doesn't go to their school, so I'm wondering how she is going to end up in the club room... Also, I'm surprised she isn't shown in the ED at all, unless that is her sillouette at the very end.
Old 2014-01-23, 11:30   Link #35
inisipis

What I like about this episode is the juxtification of the awesome magical duel between Rikka and the new girl Satone against the rather banal duel between Rikka and Kumin. The latter , due to Kumin's unknowledgeable to the gist of the game, lacks the rapid repertoire of the former even though the two 'duelist' just recently met. Just goes to show how much time and effort one builds up to be a true Chuunibyou. One that easily gets totally immersed to that made-up world in a flash.

Of course seeing a jealous Rikka is such adore, add that funny 'magical girl Yuta' makes it all entertaining repast.
Old 2014-01-23, 12:22   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This was a cute and entertaining episode, but I'm really starting to see where the chuunibyou critics are coming from.

A love triangle is fraught with dangers at the best of times, but cloaking it heavily in chuuni hijinks is truly asking for problems, in my view.

I mean, it's like having a romance where one partner is speaking in complex code 24/7, and the other one has to interpret it all (and sometimes speak in code himself). Misunderstandings can arise even when both sides are speaking like normal people, but when almost everything is talked about in Chuunibyou code, the likelihood of misunderstandings goes considerably higher, in my view.

For example, I think that Satone gets what is really going on here, but it's hard to be 100% certain when her and Rikka are in constant Chuuni mode. But even if I'm confident on this point, it's still hard to read some of Satone's actions. I'm not sure how to interpret her "supporting" Rikka (with a handshake no less) before turning around and touching noses with Yuuta. Is she truly supporting Rikka (i.e. "I hope it works out between you and Yuuta") or is that nose-touch right in front of Rikka's eyes Satone's way of throwing down the romantic gauntlet and staking her own claim to "Hero"?

And speaking of other misunderstandings that can come from constant Chuuni use...

Quote:

I'm boggled at how many people here interpreted what Rikka said as innuendo. Like Kanon, I didn't even think of it until you guys here mentioned it.
Same here. It didn't even occur to me. Partially since Rikka strikes me as too innocent for that.

But still, what if Rikka did mean it that way? Yuuta doesn't seem to suspect that possibility at all, which could lead to him unwittingly being an unresponsive partner (in Rikka's eyes).

I know it's entertaining to watch, and the show probably won't get all that dramatic again, but Satone and Rikka really are running big risks in the way they're in constant Chuuni mode. Both of them really do need to work on developing an on/off switch.
Old 2014-01-23, 15:10   Link #37
HandofFate

So I assume "Awaken the Dark Dragon" is Rikka chunnibyou speak for Yuuta to pounce on her and have his way with her, right?

Amusing that Yuuta was affected by the syndrome from watching Satone, and Rikka was infected by watching Yuuta as a parallel.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2014-01-23 at 15:38.
Old 2014-01-23, 20:38   Link #38
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Not really. Obviously the reference is there as a private sex joke (for us and the producers, since 'Ryou' VERY often is used to describe that in 18+ doujinshis), but Rikka probably meant that she's going to make Yuuta start acting like a real boyfriend; like an actual man/male. She basically wants Yuuta to be possessive of her.

The problem is that she does not know how to express those in normal words, so she used the chuunibyou code which she was most familiar with and not shy to use - if you notice, Rikka expresses her feelings much more honestly - though she isn't aware about it - when speaking in codes.

The transition to normal language has to happen eventually, but Yuuta likely notices that currently it was the best way for them both to communicate, though I'm not sure whether it's instinct or an actual plan for him. Season 2 would likely showcase how Rikka goes out of her shell and forces herself to do things she normally won't do and the eventual outcome of that. After all, even though she overcame her trauma in Season 1, S2 Episode 1 made it obvious that she was as 'introvert' as she was before. But now she doesn't have the trauma that's holding back her growth.
Old 2014-01-23, 23:13   Link #39
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
Just goes to show how much time and effort one builds up to be a true Chuunibyou.
Funny you seem to imply that people can put effort to become delusional. I think it’s the other way around. Your heart drives your effort to act and your mind fuels your imagination that’s what being chu2byo is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I know it's entertaining to watch, and the show probably won't get all that dramatic again, but Satone and Rikka really are running big risks in the way they're in constant Chuuni mode. Both of them really do need to work on developing an on/off switch.
I agree with the risk of miscommunication/misinformation, but that’s where the fun lies. It’s where we audiences arrive to a different conclusion from interpreting the codes and discuss about them. I guess critics may want a more straightforward communication when it comes to romance, but that sort of takes away the enjoyment IMO.

While I’m still not sure about Sophia, but I believe Yuuta and Rikka understands each other even with the chuunibyou. I think critics’ fear that misunderstanding may occur between them at some point which may seems like a cheap way of creating drama between the couple. Personally, I don’t feel the series will go into that direction, but I can’t say for sure. For me, it depends on the context that causes the misunderstanding if that were to happen.

And I think most of us aren’t serious about the Dark Flame Dragon living inside Yuuta’s pants. Some RikkaxYuuta shippers may think otherwise but they’re just taking it for granted.
Old 2014-01-23, 23:39   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

I agree with the risk of miscommunication/misinformation, but that’s where the fun lies.
Oh, sure. There's certainly great comedy potential here for us as viewers.

I'm mainly just talking about this as though these were real life people. By chuunibyou critics I mean people who have been critical of Rikka's continued heavy dependence on it (to the point where she seems to not have an "off" mode at all).

I defended Rikka's chuunibyou in the past, but I'm starting to see how chuunibyou could really undermine something that's important to her - That being her romance with Yuuta.

It's fine if some drama/comedy results from this during "the journey", but I really do hope that Rikka can be more like Dekomori by the end of the show - Somebody that can turn it on and off at will.