Ooooo what?!

Spoiler for cause the specials aren't subbed yet as far as I know:
Old 2007-12-15, 12:40   Link #442
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
In the end, it seemed just a bit to me like Sae liked Hiro, but hadn't confessed yet, and Hiro was just oblivious to it all.
I personally like to think of Hiro as the "Wife" that Sae desires. Granted like in a lot of cases they give us enough to think certain things, but still hold back in order to make it somewhat deniable.... In short playing both sides I guess.
Old 2007-12-17, 12:24   Link #443
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
That's the amusing thing about Sae...she's very proper and "correct" at all times, and wouldn't be caught dead being thought of as not having done "normal" kinds of things like dated boys and stuff. And yet...you gotta wonder... In the end, it seemed just a bit to me like Sae liked Hiro, but hadn't confessed yet, and Hiro was just oblivious to it all.

And will this be developed in the new series, I wonder?
I doubt it will be addressed directly. If that scene at the opening credits actually occurs (you know the one), there will undoubtedly be a perfectly innocent explanation for it. I have a feeling the producers and writers are going to keep the entire situation ambiguous, refusing to contribute to the discussion while probably enjoying reading the speculations privately (but not acknowledging the same).

The most interesting thing about the way Sae and Hiro interact is the contrast it provides with the two younger girls upstairs. Yuno and Miyako may only be a year younger, but they are worlds apart as far as maturity and contact with the real world. That Sae earns her living, as opposed to being supported by an allowance from a tolerant family, is perhaps the central aspect of her character, and puts her under the sort of stress that Yuno can't imagine yet. Without Hiro for emotional support, she'd collapse (certainly without Hiro to shop and cook, she'd go hungry!).
Old 2007-12-17, 13:37   Link #444
Ziv

lol, it says here that the guy who played the principal also played Elmer Fudd, Gollum (lord of the rings), and Scooby doo in their respective Japanese dubs.

I still can't get over the fact that the same person that did Milfeulle Sakuraba from Galaxy Angel also did Sae. Their voices are worlds apart!

Last edited by Ziv; 2007-12-22 at 02:12.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 23:25   Link #445
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
lol, it says here that the guy who played the principal also played Elmer Fudd, Gollum (lord of the rings), and Scooby doo in their respective Japanese dubs.
Ruh-ro. Yoshinoya-sensei's dressed up as Frankenstein's Monster's Bride again and is trying to drive away the meddling kids.

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad costume for her. (Of course, the concept of a bad costume for Yoshinoya defies the imagination; she could toddle up hiding in a Dalek shell and still be scary-cute-hot).
Old 2007-12-18, 06:14   Link #446
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
Of course, the concept of a bad costume for Yoshinoya defies the imagination; she could toddle up hiding in a Dalek shell and still be scary-cute-hot.
At times like this, I really wish I could draw. Or that I had a machine to take pictures of the images in my mind. Because I can just imagine that. Of course, she'd still have the squeaky slippers on under the Dalek costume, so you'd hear this 'squeak squeak' as she moved down the hall. And it would be the cutest 'EXTERMINATE' you ever heard.

Then she'd get told off by the principal, who for no reason at all would be wearing a floppy hat and a really long scarf.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 12:39   Link #447
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
At times like this, I really wish I could draw. Or that I had a machine to take pictures of the images in my mind. Because I can just imagine that. Of course, she'd still have the squeaky slippers on under the Dalek costume, so you'd hear this 'squeak squeak' as she moved down the hall. And it would be the cutest 'EXTERMINATE' you ever heard.

Then she'd get told off by the principal, who for no reason at all would be wearing a floppy hat and a really long scarf.
Or a leather jacket and jumper, which when you think about it is a truly alarming image for the principal.
Old 2007-12-23, 08:51   Link #448
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Wow, this is a fully animated opening. Haruhi looks super cute, too. Niconico video: Hidamari x Haruhi

Last edited by dahl_moon; 2007-12-26 at 22:06. Reason: Changed to a youtube link
dahl_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 01:14   Link #449
Hammy
slice of life otaku

it seems the manga has been licensed

http://manga.about.com/b/2007/12/09/...a-for-2008.htm

due out in June
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 12:03   Link #450
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
it seems the manga has been licensed

http://manga.about.com/b/2007/12/09/...a-for-2008.htm

due out in June
This is good news. I just reviewed a Yen Press manga the other day for Jouhou and I found their printing, editing and translation to be quite good, if not excellent. They include colour pages at the beginning of the volume, not just the cover. The pages are cropped even less than the scanlation group did (something Tokyopop does too much is cropping pages.) There's no TL notes, but the one I reviewed really didn't need them. I can hardly wait.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 00:31   Link #451
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

I thumbed through this thread quickly but didn't find these.

Old 2008-01-18, 05:08   Link #452
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Absolutely gorgeous, thanks. My poor Hidamari Sketch manga has been sitting on my shelf waiting for me to translate it...
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 10:30   Link #453
NaweG
Just some guy

Has a thread been started yet for discussing the upcoming 360 series yet? I couldn't find one, but then my search skills aren't the best...
Old 2008-01-18, 11:44   Link #454
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

xris once showed me the Series Discussion Index which lists all the series' threads. (I once posted that I couldn't find a discussion because I didn't search correctly. I hate looking foolish like that , so now I know to check the Series Discussion Index.)

There's no thread yet for 360; perhaps you should start one.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 12:13   Link #455
Jiji
*Scanlator

<edit>
Oh brother, do I feel like an idiot. Despite searching, there was already a thread for it. It's actually kind of funny, there's now 3 posts on the first page that give *official* information. Sigh...anywho...here's the thread.

Last edited by Jiji; 2008-01-20 at 09:51.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 12:36   Link #456
NaweG
Just some guy

Thanks to both of you!
Old 2008-01-20, 05:20   Link #457
Ottocycle

The specials are subbed now, everyone!

Now for the gruelling wait for x365...
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 10:02   Link #458
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
xris once showed me the Series Discussion Index which lists all the series' threads. (I once posted that I couldn't find a discussion because I didn't search correctly. I hate looking foolish like that , so now I know to check the Series Discussion Index.)

There's no thread yet for 360; perhaps you should start one.
Quote:
I just posted a new thread for the second season here.
The Series Discussion Index only lists shows that have been fansubbed really so Hidamari Sketch X 365: Second Season isn't listed in it yet. Plus the fact that it is a bit out of date with recent new series, I'm slowly updating it from scratch but currently we have something like 1,170 entries listed on AnimeSuki and it takes time to manually check and update every series. I'm up to the letter "I" which means I've done about 480 of the 1,170 so far but since I also check and update the episode count and check for ANN, AniDB, AnimeNfo and Wiki links it's a slow process.

You will need to check (i.e. search) the Unaired forum for new threads if they are not listed on AnimeSuki or in the Series Discussion Index.

I now see that 2 DVD only episodes have now been subbed by Spoon.

Includes 2 Specials "8/11 Soshite Moto no Ichi ni Modosu," and "11/27 Soko ni Ai Haru no ka?." (taken from CDJapan)
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 09:50   Link #459
Dop
Mmmm....

Ah,
Spoiler for the specials:

Thanks to Spoon for the subs.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 13:41   Link #460
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Sentai's licensing of this show comes as a bit of surprise to me, but less so given that the manga is licensed and a third season is coming soon. The DVD Box will be out in January.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, school life, seinen, shaft, slice of life