AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-08-10, 02:45   Link #1
Ciroth
Crazi Male Neko!

Send a message via ICQ to Ciroth Send a message via AIM to Ciroth Send a message via MSN to Ciroth
Strike Witches OVA (Mecha Musume)

(i copy the image and uploaded to a photodump account so i won't be leeching... technically xD)

I don't believe many people would be familiar with this new show which should premiere on 8-11-006 according to the main website.

Homepage: http://s-witch.cute.or.jp/index.html

If you are a figure collector, you most likely know about the Mecha Musume vol 1 and vol 2 figures. (By the way, Vol 2 repaint version is on its way out).

Vol 1: http://www.konami.jp/th/figure/mecha/index.html (Out of Print)
Vol 2: http://www.konami.jp/th/figure/mecha2/index.html (Out of Print i believe)
Vol 2:: Repaint:: http://www.konami.jp/th/figure/mecha2_r/index.html (Due to be released)

(Yesh. i personally want the repaints also... but i digress)

These figures are very popular and are rare, if not hard, to find. Getting a full set of these figures is hard, since there are several variants of different figures. A full Vol 2 consists of 8 figures +1 secret, 5 is the normal set.

If you want better idea of the quality and details of the figures, click here. I'm guessing due to the popularity of these figures, they have finally gotten their own anime series. Last time i heard, Gonzo was doing the animation for it.

Official Summary/Blurb of this show in Engrish: "The world had received the attack from the existence of the mystery that appeared suddenly. Only girls who have magic can fight against them. They install arms in an own body, and fight in the sky, the land, and the sea. Fights of girls who defend the world start now."

I wonder how an anime based of figures are going to be like. Will Gonzo succeed in a good story with their amazing animation? ... I wonder... can't wait!

Facts:

Anime Premieres 8-11-06
Based off Figures ( I think... correct me if i'm wrong)
Homepage: http://s-witch.cute.or.jp/index.html#
Studio: Gonzo
Wallpapers are avaliable under the "SPECIAL" section.

NEWS FLASH! MAIN WEBPAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED JUST NOW! 8-10-06

There is a Trailer for the show!

And a lot more... xD

I hope i'm not wrong ..[After watching the trailer... it looks a bit.. strange ... lol]

Last edited by Ciroth; 2006-08-10 at 02:52. Reason: Offical Homepage just updated...
Ciroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 16:21   Link #2
Kensuke

Reposting my character list, Gonzo uses feminized names of the famous pilots for the characters. Well, in most cases, I couldn't find Mio's and Yoshika's corresponding names, I think they are two main characters, so maybe they are just "original" names, not conversions like all others.
Also, their weapons correspond their countries, for example Erica "flies" a Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6, and her weapons are MG42 and MP40.

Erica Hartmann - Erich Hartmann German. Most successful pilot of all time, 352 aerial victories.
Gertrud Barkhorn - Gerhard Barkhorn German. Second most successful pilot, 301 victories.
Sanya V. Litvyak - Lydia Litvyak Russian. Leading female pilot, 12 victories.
Francesca Lucchini - Franco Lucchini Leading Italian pilot, 26 victories.
Mio Sakamoto - ?
Yoshika Miyafuji - ?
Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke - Wolf-Dietrich Wilcke German. 162 victories.
Lynette Bishop - William Bishop Leading Canadian pilot of World War I, 72 aerial victories. (I'm not sure about this, only one I could found)
Charlotte E. Yeager - Charles "Chuck" Yeager American. 11,5 victories, shot down five enemy aircraft in one day.
Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen - Ilmari Juutilainen Leading Finnish pilot, 94 victories.
Perrine-H. Clostermann - Pierre Clostermann French pilot, 23 victories.

Well, the trailer was indeed weird, but I'm looking forward to this.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 22:46   Link #3
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

hmmm i didnt know they were making this into an anime.

most of the planes and tanks are based off german and japanese models though. i hope they dont do a remake of a world war story. japanese seem to have a habit of changing facts and that offends alot of people.

recent events in the news is where the president of japan keeps visiting that japanese war shrine. now dont get me wrong, the japanese people that bravely fought in the war need to be honored, however, notorious class A war criminals who were convicted in the japanese army should not have their names there. this is upsetting most all asian countries.

think of it like this, if germany had a shrine built for hitler and considered him some sort of ominpotent being and the president of germany offered him gifts once or twice a year, that would upset all of europe.

now to be fair in recent news, i think rhode island, or it may have been maine, they celebrate the day japan officially annouced its surrender to america, i thinks its calll V-J day. now i can see how that may offend people in japan as gloating, but thats not the purpose of the ceremony, where as visiting the war shrine has only one purpose as to give honor to the names there.

i also remember some japanese anime where they made a parody of if japan had won world war II. i havnt seen it though, so i cant comment on it.

but anyway, to stay on topic. i hope the show is good but if they base it on historical facts, it needs to stay historical. and if its a new story, it should stay a new story. i dont have any of the figures but they always did catch my eye. ive seen alot of fan creations on the series too with like battleships and stuff.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 22:54   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The problem arises because, according to the beliefs, departed souls shuck off all the errors, mistakes, and mortal attributes on death -- so there is literally no difference after death between the ancestors whatever they did in life (their karma is taking care of the rest). And since the departed made the world what it is today, one should acknowledge them whether they did good or bad.
Thats the rationalization anyway....

I suspect our "girls" will be fighting some imaginary war --- probably space aliens, the safest of all beings to "dehumanize"

(I'll give them some points for having a nice spread of Aces from a variety of countries)

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-13 at 23:19.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 23:15   Link #5
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

They're missing the Stuka ace from the roster... o well.

I will give it a shot.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 01:33   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Some of my wargames may never look the same again ...
Old 2006-08-14, 04:11   Link #7
Siegel Clyne

STRIKE WITCHES Cast and Comments on Web Newtype Hot News (08/10/06)

The same STRIKE WITCHES OVA cast revealed earlier in the quote above later showed up on Web Newtype Hot News (08/10/06), with comments about their characters and the show after a postrecording session.

Chiba Saeko and Tanaka Rie play the two "older sisters," the strict, fiery "oneechan" teacher Sakamoto Mio (age 19) and the gentle, elegant "oneesama" commander Minna-Dietlinde Wilke (age 18), respectively.

From her description, Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke sounds a lot like many Tanaka Rie characters: Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED (DESTINY), Mariel in Hanaukyou Meidotai (La Verite) / Hanaukyo Maid Team (La Verite), Mikihara Ren in Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Morganna (when she is being deceptively kind, loving and motherly, not when she is being really mean, nasty and evil) in .hack//SIGN, Commander Clodia Soult in the Blue Flow PC game, Queen Diana of Aquitaine in the Musketeer Rouge drama CDs, Princess Frolance Gemonina in the Rune Princess image album CD and video game, etc.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2006-08-14 at 05:22.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 04:14   Link #8
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
They're missing the Stuka ace from the roster... o well.
Rudel? Wasn't he supposed to have been one of the most appalling Nazis of all the Luftwaffe aces? Leaving him out would seem like a pretty good idea...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 04:29   Link #9
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Good pt. although his combat record when it comes to total tonnage and damage inflicted is ... unmatched. The tanacity of Rudel's well documented as well.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 04:35   Link #10
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

wow, the figures are amazing.

The anime looks very cool, looking forward to this OVA
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 05:05   Link #11
Anime Online

Well, it's just fiction-anime. Even if they were to do a fantasy re-enactment of World War 2 where Japan won, I don't see it any different from all those WWII strategy games that present a "What if.." scenerio that allows players to actually lead Germany to victory.

In any case, the basic premise seems to be : there'll be lots of butt kicking in this anime where the characters are based/inspired from real-life fighter aces. I hope there'll be lots of dogfights in an alternative-version of the battle of Midway or something, though this seems unlikely judging from the official summary. Oh well.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-18, 12:54   Link #12
Kensuke

Strike Witches novel: http://s-witch.cute.or.jp/novel.html#
Release date: October 1st.

That should be interesting to read. Aargh, must study japanese!

Well, I'm waiting for the anime, I hope GONZO does a good job.
Old 2007-01-04, 12:44   Link #13
Guppy

Just finished watching the OVA. Fortunately (or not, depending on your taste), it seems nowhere near as fanservicey as Sky Girls.

Spoiler for summary:
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 18:17   Link #14
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Just watched the raw. It was reccomended to me by a friend who said "If you love Nanoha and Gunslinger Girl this show will be right up your alley."

After seeing it I wonder if he watched it at all or just looked at screenshots.

So here's my opinion.

The good: The animation is extremely solid and the short training exercise is pretty good. If you are into fighter craft it's apparently pretty cool to see your favourite planes symolized by cute girls. I don't really care about planes but I do like guns so it was cool from that aspect.

The medium: Although the characters are likable and interresting it will need a TV series to sufficiently develop such a cast and still retain the story.

The bad: 7 minutes long for over $100cdn. It does come with a figure and a booklet which would make the ultra-short DVD have a solo price of about $40cdn, which is half the price of a normal jp DVD for about 1/6 the animation time. Plain and short, it's a ripoff. However, in this ocean of the internet we can assume not paying for the DVD, and with patience the book and figure will be availible (as they always are) so this may balance out to some. Additionally, to me, the girls in flight mode look pretty rediculous. I've seen many other mechagirl designs which I think would have worked better and would have still been distinguishable as specific aircraft.

Summary: I figure I'm just not in the target market for this so it's big perk of being all for plane buffs is completely lost on me, leaving it at 7 minutes of "it could have been so much better if they did things differently."
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 18:29   Link #15
cyth
Banned

Watched it yesterday.

I just feel like there's nothing to say about such a short clip. There was no real message hidden, just a really cuddly thought about friendship. The focus of the item on sale is the figurine anyway, and I'm not sure where I heard this but there's supposed to be a light novel (or a manga?) about it which might reveal more story. But who knows what the future may bring. Maybe even a TV serialization.
Spoiler:

I really really wish this to be longer. :|
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 18:39   Link #16
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I think they should've just made a Gadgetrial anime instead. It would've held the same feel, could have been tweaked to still feed the wants of the military buffs through slight character design changes and new characters, and it could work as a short so much better.

Just my two cents
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 11:32   Link #17
SomeWhiteGuy

Question; Is there a fan sub of this yet?
It seems like this has been out for a while now (Tosho shows Jan 4th)...
I'm kind of a beginner at subbing, I'v subbed Mar Awakes.Romance so far, and I have time to sub this to. But I don't wanna put my time into it if its already been done.
SomeWhiteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 00:05   Link #18
KKaze
Die 4 the good of others

If you did check your PM, I've pmed you on the fansubs.

It's great that you fansubs the prelude, but pls do make "appropriate ammendment" on your subtitles (Maany -> Many, for example).

Hope you release a v3 soon...
KKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 03:46   Link #19
Kensuke

Alright, Strike Witches is subbed by Froth-Bite.

While I enjoyed it, it was way too short, just 7 minutes and that was it? No "full lenght" episodes?
Old 2007-01-22, 14:10   Link #20
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
Alright, Strike Witches is subbed by Froth-Bite.

While I enjoyed it, it was way too short, just 7 minutes and that was it? No "full lenght" episodes?
That's what I thought, even though it was quite short it was rather nice. Too bad it was too short... Hopefully the next episodes will be longer (well we can always hope, can't we?).

On a sidenote, am I the only one having troubles with the font of FB sub?