AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-09-16, 05:26   Link #2261
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Since they share that mild resemblance with him and have no resemblance to Kanata, I'd say they're on his side of the family.
Yes, the resemblance between Yui and Soujirou is the main reason I'm leaning toward his side. Plus, the way he talks to Yui feels like they've really close, and it's a bit harder to be that close to kids on your wife's side of the family. I mean I think Yui's been spending time with ths Izumi's for a long time now, probably ever since she was in school (maybe she lived in their house when she was in HS as well, given that many students move to Greater Tokyo area for HS or College).

I think I've just figured out that the Kobayakawa girls MUST be from Soujirou's family - Why would you send your chibi-looking daughter to live with a out-of-the-cloest lolicon unless that guy is your own brother? I mean, I can just imagine what Kanata side of the family think of this otaku... I seriously doubt they would send ANOTHER one into his ... eh.. hands...
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 18:03   Link #2262
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Second Season Speculations

Okay now more REAL neta for this thread - Let's talk about Second Season possibilities. No I have not watched 24 yet and I don't plan to unless I have to, but we can always add to the speculations before and after viewing the final show.

One thing is for sure though - they moved the show so fast that the girls has to graduate now. At least the 6 3rd grade girls... BUT... I don't think even Yoshimizu even said that Lucky Star must be all about Kona-chan, no?

Well, think about it. In a slice-of-life show time-line must keep moving in a real world way so that there are neta based on the events like Hanami, festivals, etc. Thus the girls will eventually have to graduate and move on. Unlike Azumanga Daioh, where the manga ended after the main characters graduated, there are MORE girls introduced in school for Lucky Star: the Fujoshi First Graders and their Yuri Mascots. The story AND the anime could continue with THESE girls as the main characters. Kona, Miyuki, and the Twins can still show up, but the main High School characters should be the First graders. Then even more girls can be added when they move to second grade!

I love this idea a lot... because I actually love the seiyuus for Hiroyi and Patti much more (too bad Misao is graduating too... ) Oh man, just think of the Yuri jokes during the obligatory Summer Beach Episode... They just need another Tsundere to make the show work (I personally think no anime is complete without a Tsundere).

As for what happened to the girls, well, I haven't read the manga yet so I might be wrong, so I'll speculate that Tsukasa and Kona both went to the same Short Term college (like Community college in the US), while Kagami and Miyuki goes on some prestigious public school. But given the miracle of anime, the girls should probaly ended up in the same college again, since they're not supposed to be all in Katsukabe KyoEi in the first place.

So please offer your speculation on what the second season is all about. No I don't want to hear no "there's no second season" crap. Faith, people! We need to have faith!
Old 2007-09-17, 16:44   Link #2263
Claymore_Obsessed

I'd like Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa and Miyuki to be main characters once again, in college of course.

They could be in the same college, but different faculties...
I can imagine Kagamin and Miyuki in a really serious and competitive faculty while Kona-chan and Tsukasa would be in a more relaxed environment.

Of course there could be interaction with the high schoolers, for example Patty and Kona-chan share interests so they could likely meet outside of school/college.
Old 2007-09-17, 17:09   Link #2264
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... though that whole concept is anime-only, I would really like to see this gang carry on with more 'life's daily adventure into silly'.
Old 2007-09-17, 17:13   Link #2265
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... though that whole concept is anime-only, I would really like to see this gang carry on with more 'life's daily adventure into silly'.
Indeed. If we were to see anything new, then OVA finishing of the school life would be interesting.
Old 2007-09-17, 17:16   Link #2266
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Okay now more REAL neta for this thread - Let's talk about Second Season possibilities. No I have not watched 24 yet and I don't plan to unless I have to, but we can always add to the speculations before and after viewing the final show.

One thing is for sure though - they moved the show so fast that the girls has to graduate now. At least the 6 3rd grade girls... BUT... I don't think even Yoshimizu even said that Lucky Star must be all about Kona-chan, no?

Well, think about it. In a slice-of-life show time-line must keep moving in a real world way so that there are neta based on the events like Hanami, festivals, etc. Thus the girls will eventually have to graduate and move on. Unlike Azumanga Daioh, where the manga ended after the main characters graduated, there are MORE girls introduced in school for Lucky Star: the Fujoshi First Graders and their Yuri Mascots. The story AND the anime could continue with THESE girls as the main characters. Kona, Miyuki, and the Twins can still show up, but the main High School characters should be the First graders. Then even more girls can be added when they move to second grade!

I love this idea a lot... because I actually love the seiyuus for Hiroyi and Patti much more (too bad Misao is graduating too... ) Oh man, just think of the Yuri jokes during the obligatory Summer Beach Episode... They just need another Tsundere to make the show work (I personally think no anime is complete without a Tsundere).

As for what happened to the girls, well, I haven't read the manga yet so I might be wrong, so I'll speculate that Tsukasa and Kona both went to the same Short Term college (like Community college in the US), while Kagami and Miyuki goes on some prestigious public school. But given the miracle of anime, the girls should probaly ended up in the same college again, since they're not supposed to be all in Katsukabe KyoEi in the first place.

So please offer your speculation on what the second season is all about. No I don't want to hear no "there's no second season" crap. Faith, people! We need to have faith!
I think I'll just add to how probable it is to have a second season (although I hope it'll be shorter and different) or an OVA.

First of all, Yoshimizu Kagami has not called it quits with the manga yet. In fact, as long as Comptiq exists, he'll probably get a lot of money keeping it up. (Although personally, I'd like the author to move on to normal manga formats like Azumanga Daioh to Yotsuba&.)

Second, Lucky*Star took over Akihabara. If I'm allowed to say this is in a brutal fashion, at some point it will make no sense not to keep earning money off of this. SHnY 2 is the shining example of that. All they have to do is let it all cool down and perhaps have the second season / OVA feature the series in a more creative direction, perhaps even with a storyline (because, really, with all the character development set out, it's such a fan work heaven that KyoAni can actually jump into this too).

So here's three outcomes that I'll be interested in seeing (and really nothing else):
1) KyoAni makes a second season of Lucky*Star in a drastically different creative direction. That means either give it a storyline or make it something else other than what we're seeing right now. If I'm going to get sick of a style I don't want it to be Lucky*Star's, and I don't want it to be slice-of-life in general.

2) Like Negima, another studio grabs it and makes an alternative series out of it. As long as it's in good humor and it's done right (SHAFT, don't make it another PPD), I don't mind who gets it.

3) An OVA, preferably about the light novel.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 17:21   Link #2267
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In college? But they would have to be in the same college for the adventure to continue with each other. I can see Miyuki being in a different school, but the KEY element of LS is Konata x Kagami... I just can't see them going to the same school, unless anime miracle happened or Soujirou promising Kona a PS3 if she gets into, say, Waseda. Or I guess we can have Kagami crumbling under the pressure and they all ended up in Kyoei Daigaku in Katsukabe together. Hey it could happen.

Vexx-dono, did the manga show them graduating yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
So here's two outcomes that I'll be interested in seeing (and really nothing else):
1) KyoAni makes a second season of Lucky*Star in a drastically different creative direction. That means either give it a storyline or make it something else other than what we're seeing right now. If I'm going to get sick of a style I don't want it to be Lucky*Star's, and I don't want it to be slice-of-life in general.

2) Like Negima, another studio grabs it and makes an alternative series out of it. As long as it's in good humor and it's done right (SHAFT, don't make it another PPD), I don't mind who gets it.
I like your first idea. It seemed they were experimenting with the dramatic elements in LS; even made a tear-jerker. I'd like to see a more regular anime version of LS for the second season. It's not beyond KyoAni, as they're pushing the envelop all the time.

But your second idea me no likely. It HAS to be KyoAni and Yamakan.

I see you've just added a 3rd idea, and I just want to say that an L*S has gotten too big for an OVA. OVA is for smaller, niche series like Ichimashi, not mega-hits like L*S. Like you've said, it has taken over Akiba and may soon driven a CD of a little-known male seiyuu who can't sing to Oricon top 10. Nah, a full second TV season is a must for all the right reasons.
Old 2007-09-17, 17:34   Link #2268
GGP

i think its likely for a second season

i think its a good thing that the ending of the show wasnt them graduating because they can still be in HS for a while longer.

and, they could also focus on konatas cousin and her friends

or, just life in general
GGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 17:37   Link #2269
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Like Negima, another studio grabs it and makes an alternative series out of it. As long as it's in good humor and it's done right (SHAFT, don't make it another PPD), I don't mind who gets it.
Not once have i thought about Lucky Star once Shinbo gets his hands on it. There's a good reason for that --- would not work! :3
Old 2007-09-17, 18:12   Link #2270
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I see you've just added a 3rd idea, and I just want to say that an L*S has gotten too big for an OVA. OVA is for smaller, niche series like Ichimashi, not mega-hits like L*S. Like you've said, it has taken over Akiba and may soon driven a CD of a little-known male seiyuu who can't sing to Oricon top 10. Nah, a full second TV season is a must for all the right reasons.
Well, even mega-hit shows can have OVA releases, and in fact, from a marketing perspective, that's an even better time to do it. Not the "continuing a niche series" sort, though (Ichimashi, ToHeart 2, Marimite, etc.) -- either the "extra episode" type (Air, FMP:TSR, etc.), or the "prelude to the next season" type (Aria, School Rumble, etc.). That being said, I think the main reason we won't see anything Lucky Star for a while will simply be because Kadokawa won't want to cannibalize Haruhi season 2 sales, which I strongly suspect will air in April, with DVD 1 in June (the month after Lucky Star's final DVD 12). If there is another season of Lucky Star, I'd guess that you won't see it 'till sometime in 2009. We'll probably have a sense of what might be possible based on what we see in Comptiq over the next little while.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 18:21   Link #2271
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
I like your first idea. It seemed they were experimenting with the dramatic elements in LS; even made a tear-jerker. I'd like to see a more regular anime version of LS for the second season. It's not beyond KyoAni, as they're pushing the envelop all the time.

I think that first idea could be interesting, using the franchise to do a different type of show. With Kanon, KyoAni has proved that they can do an amazing job with tear-jerker that leaves a huge impact on people.

I don't think LS would be appropriate for an OVA either. OVAs seem like an afterthought most of the time. For example, if you look at the Mai-Otome OVA, it was pretty meh and just seemed like some random story thrown on at the end.

As for my predictions, I think it's certainly possible to continue with the show as it. I mean despite the feel of finality the last episode provided, they still haven't graduated yet, there are still a couple of months left. So technically they could do another 12-14 episode season with the cast as is and not have it seem too out of place. Either that or halfway through a 24-26 episode show they could have a graduation and continue with the younger group's last year, they are certainly fun to watch. However, as you said, Kona x Kagami is the key to the workings of the show, so who knows.

Either way, with a 26+ episode Clannad and another 14ish episode Haruhi coming up, another season will have to wait almost a year (or more if they decide to animate a 4th season of FMP). However, by then there will be plenty of extra manga material to work off of.
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 18:52   Link #2272
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

I love the idea of a special season of L*S, based on events on the last 2 month of school. Maybe they can do half-and-half.. part A drama, part B 4-koma style jokes we're used to. A big Lucky Star adventure with some dramatic elements.. maybe it could be about how they got into college! That would be plenty of drama there... and believe me, it is some of the most dramatic part in a Japanese person's life, that big wait for the "list". Oh That would be SUPERB. Just keep throwing a few reference bone for me and I'll be a happy camper.

I'm okay with waiting for a year for it... people have been waiting for Haruhi for more than a year now, and it's still as popular as before.
Old 2007-09-17, 22:37   Link #2273
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. Perhaps KyoAni is building itself up to the point it can actually have two shows running at the same time, which would allow a second LS to come before 2009 -- say next fall, so as not to "cannibalize" Haruhi2 sales.

2. relentlessflame's timeline for Haruhi2 looks right: broadcast next April, so that DVD1 comes out right after DVD12 of LS.

3. As usual, we are calculating based on known quantities. But perhaps KyoAni will come up with a new title for this mix.

4. I'm not hugely in favor of a second season, much as I'd enjoy more of this stuff. There's nowhere to go but down. But if there's money to be made, it's likely to happen.

5. I love Shinbou's work, but I'm not sure he has the depth for this. For some reason, this show felt emotionally deeper to me than PPD or Negima or Zetsubou. And so did SHnY. Maybe it's the material, maybe not.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 01:35   Link #2274
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

The last episode was more than great. The entire second season should be just like it. Please KyoAni/Kadokawa... just do it.. I promise to subscribe to Computiq, visit Animate/Gamers, watch and buy everything related to Harhuhi second season, including that Mikuru Tea thing, and buy every single kadokawa light novel/manga referenced. Just in fact I went out today and bought a copy of Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) manga #1!

Oh just to gloat a bit, our local Kinokuniya has a stack of the Computiq Lucky Star special issue, and I got a copy. Wohoo!
Old 2007-09-18, 01:56   Link #2275
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Frankly, I'm not sure I want Shinbo touching anything I like anymore .... I will say he did an interesting job on Hidamari Sketch but the art basis of the show allowed for that. He used a light touch on Tsukuyomi (outside of the animation subcontract crisis stuff) and his style fit PPD. I don't think he'd handle L*S well. I'll keep saying it -- Lucky*Star is NOT about references, its a set of character studies.

If they can keep the 4-koma stuff coming, I think the interest will remain. Unlike manga that finish and fade away, this depends on the author finding a variety of things to comment on with his characters.
Old 2007-09-18, 04:37   Link #2276
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:

I think I'll take my second idea back - I thought both adaptations of Negima were horrible. The first was painful (I want to rate it with Fruits Basket the anime), and the second was a good-natured experiment that fell flat in front of me. SHAFT just may be a bit too zany.

So yeah...I just want to see Lucky*Star shown in more dramatic fashion. You know...the usual school drama with friendship conflicts and whatnot. The thing about Lucky*Star is that it laid bare a whole slew of possibilities. We were also given the fully-developed characters and absolutely no idea how they became the way they are. I personally want to write a fanfic monopolizing the second year that the manga practically skipped completely, plus their childhood, which weren't really explored.

I mean of course, slice-of-life is slice-of-life and it's not supposed to be dramatic, but in retrospect, the characters seem so far too dynamic (they have long surpassed those of Ichigo Mashimaro and Azumanga Daioh) for normal people that it seemed too good to be true sometimes.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 11:01   Link #2277
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
The last episode was more than great. The entire second season should be just like it. Please KyoAni/Kadokawa... just do it.. I promise to subscribe to Computiq, visit Animate/Gamers, watch and buy everything related to Harhuhi second season, including that Mikuru Tea thing, and buy every single kadokawa light novel/manga referenced. Just in fact I went out today and bought a copy of Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) manga #1!

Oh just to gloat a bit, our local Kinokuniya has a stack of the Computiq Lucky Star special issue, and I got a copy. Wohoo!
Here's to hoping that they quickly license LS anime and manga as well as the associated figures and merchandise here in the states! I will buy some items at least to support the franchise and hopefully fuel the motivation for more anime.

I think that a 12-14 episode (1-coeur is the term, right?) season would be great, to finish off the last couple of months of the senior's year. With plenty of extra manga material to go off by the time they have an open slot for another show, they could do it well I think. I don't want this turning into some show that goes on forever though, as like Vexx, I enjoy shows that have some sort of ending and finality to them. It's one of the reasons the only long-term shounen type show I can tolerate is Bleach (which considering the manga has an end in sight).
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 03:18   Link #2278
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
Here's to hoping that they quickly license LS anime and manga as well as the associated figures and merchandise here in the states! I will buy some items at least to support the franchise and hopefully fuel the motivation for more anime.
The day that all those things happen is the same day we'll see Front Mission 5, Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 and Namco x Capcom released stateside.....which I hope would be soon, but I don't count on it for two reasons, one the cross licensing rights involved in getting all the rights to manufacture the products with all the proper and official content intact (we're almost talking Bandai or nobody here) and two the probability that licensing costs will exceed projected profits.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 07:35   Link #2279
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
The day that all those things happen is the same day we'll see Front Mission 5, Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 and Namco x Capcom released stateside.....which I hope would be soon, but I don't count on it for two reasons, one the cross licensing rights involved in getting all the rights to manufacture the products with all the proper and official content intact (we're almost talking Bandai or nobody here) and two the probability that licensing costs will exceed projected profits.
Actually, neither of those should be that much of a problem for Lucky Star. Licensing costs will be non-existant, since Kadokawa can publish it in the U.S. themselves (though Kadokawa U.S.A.), leaving only production costs. That also helps address issues of cross-product licensing, since ultimately Kadokawa and Lantis hold most of the keys to the store, so to speak (as was the case with Haruhi, for example). I don't necessarily know about figures, but all the rest of the merchandise (anime, music, games, manga) wouldn't be a licensing problem if they figured the market demand was there. Ultimately, I think that's the bigger barrier here -- though I still expect the anime will be released at the very least, and the rest would be "we'll see how it goes".
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 09:24   Link #2280
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

will Kodokawa US also publish the limited edition manga's in the US if ever? I really wanna read the light novel. Misao and Tsukasa are bloodied in the front cover. XD

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen