AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2004-03-22, 20:12   Link #1
eLstar
(^_^)v

One Piece - Character Discussion - Usopp

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Usopp related.

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Usopp fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

POV Thread- Yasopp, Brave warrior of the sea

Since I like One Piece so much and want to help this forum by contributing as much as I can, so to start off I made this thread.

What is POV you ask? Well just in case you don't know it means Point of View, but don't mistake this for a poll, it's a little bit different. The POV threads that I make will ask you which POV you side with. The Preferred View or The Oppositional View.

The Preffered View is the message that Mangaka is trying to convey to the readers. So don't mistake it for being what the majority of the people here believe.

The Oppositional View is exactly what it sounds like. The view of which opposes the Mangaka's intentions.

Get it? Got it? Good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so moving on. Yasopp is a brave warrior of the sea. He goes on many adventures with the Pirate "Red-Haired" Shanks as his faithful sharpshooter with his skills surpassing even some of the greats. But a long time ago, he settled down in a village with his wife and even had himself a kid. But the pirate blood in him was calling him so he decided to leave his family behind and take up pirating which is how he ended up with Shanks. His wife grew to be really ill and soon died and Yasopp's son Usopp began his infamous lying rampage claiming that pirates were coming, but in his heart he wanted to believed thatpirates really would come, and among those pirates would be his father. To this day he admires his father and longs to be a "Brave Warrior of the Sea" just like his father.

Preferred View: "Usopp is right in praising his father so much."

Yasopp is an awesome brave warrior of the sea. It’s true he is a horrible father but he’s a good guy even though he left his son and wife behind, and it’s not like he doesn’t care for them. Yasopp talks about Usopp all the time anyway, so he can’t be that bad. So therefore,

Oppositional View: "Usopp shouldn’t admire his father, he left his family behind after all"

Yasopp is a horrible person. There is NO excuse for him to leave his son and especially his wife alone on the island. No matter how good of a man he may be, he shouldn’t be a character to be praised at all. It’s a good thing Usopp has someone to model his goal after, but if he continues wanting to be just like his father then he’ll end up ditching his wife and son just like Yasopp did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I could've made a poll out of this but then many people wouldn't even bother to reply with their opinion. But anyway, go ahead and choose which View you side on. But you can only choose ONE side, not both. It does not work that way.

Personallly, I side with the Oppositional view. Why? Even though the concept of Usopp actually admiring his father instead of hating him is a unique twist, I just don't think Usopp should look up to someone who left his family all alone, and wasn't even there by the side of his wife when she died.

Last edited by xris; 2008-10-26 at 14:30.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 20:47   Link #2
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
I think yasopp is an awsome character- hes the only one who had a chance at killing luffy with out a struggle but didnt attempt it.
Lst2touchdasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 20:48   Link #3
eLstar
(^_^)v

Um...that isn't really picking any of the viewpoints. You just said you like Yasopp, do you think Usopp is better off admiring Yasopp or not?
Old 2004-03-22, 20:50   Link #4
Sethi
StormRider

Me goes for Oppositional View as well, no matter how good of a man he is, he left his wife and son just so he could be a pirate and have awesome adventures while his wife is growing their son all by herself and in the end died also his son never had a father to support him and then he loses his mother at young age as well, so i don't give a sh** how good of a pirate or man he is as far as i am concerned he's trash.
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 20:52   Link #5
Lst2touchdasky

ooo so I cant have my own view points on yassop? darn- well i guess Ussop is better off admiring Yassop, because Yassop could've killed the captain that Ussop always cowers behind.

Last edited by Lst2touchdasky; 2004-03-22 at 21:06.
Old 2004-03-22, 21:01   Link #6
eLstar
(^_^)v

Oh you can have your opinion on Yasopp, except this isn't a thread asking if Yasopp is one of your favourite characters, just whether or not you agree with the Preferred or Oppositional.

I'll explain in case you don't understand, Preferred is what Oda is trying to get the readers to agree upon. Look at how bias he is trying to make us believe Yasopp is a good guy. the more times Usopp talks about great his father is especially in the Kuro arc, the readers are being led into agreeing with Usopp's opinion of his father.
Old 2004-03-22, 21:23   Link #7
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
I'd say I have a "middle view". A view that's both "preferred" and "oppositional".

Yasopp was a pirate before marrying Usopp's matter. A pirate is a pirate, and adventure calls him/her no matter what. Usopp's mother knew Yasopp would leave her someday, it would be impossible to keep him there.
Yasopp, even though being a horrible father, is a man who should be admired, a man who follows his own path. He's trying to teach Usopp to live in his own, and encouraging him to battle for his own dreams. All Yasopp did was follow his own dreams- and that's what Usopp is doing now.

Nami left her sister. Sanji left Zeff, his "master". Luffy left all the people in his hometown. Chopper left Dr. Kureha alone. In other words, they left their own family. Are they trash because of that? No. All they're doing is follow their own dreams. And that's what Yasopp is doing too. Like I said before, Usopp's mother may have known pretty well that Yasopp would leave her someday. Otherwise, she wouldn't have married him at all. Yasopp's a pirate, after all.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 21:31   Link #8
wnkryo
HainShodan

I go with the preffered view becuase it suit the story better, and besides, pirate blood runs within Ussop, so it's only natural he would follow his father foot steps. I also wouldn't like the fact that Ussop has "revenge" in his goals for life.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 21:36   Link #9
Sethi
StormRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Nami left her sister. Sanji left Zeff, his "master". Luffy left all the people in his hometown. Chopper left Dr. Kureha alone. In other words, they left their own family. Are they trash because of that? No. All they're doing is follow their own dreams. And that's what Yasopp is doing too. Like I said before, Usopp's mother may have known pretty well that Yasopp would leave her someday. Otherwise, she wouldn't have married him at all. Yasopp's a pirate, after all.
The case's you just gave are a little different, sure they are following their dreams and Yassop is following is dream as well, but while Nami, Sanji, Luffy and all those persons you mentioned left adults that can take care of themselfs have support from close friends and are already doing what they desired to do, Yassop left his WIFE all by herself on the village, with his LITTLE SON that he should take care of as well, after some time her wife died and the boy had to grow all by himself without any support from his father at all, so i really don't think he has much excuses do you?
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 21:40   Link #10
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
I'd say I have a "middle view". A view that's both "preferred" and "oppositional".

Yasopp was a pirate before marrying Usopp's matter. A pirate is a pirate, and adventure calls him/her no matter what. Usopp's mother knew Yasopp would leave her someday, it would be impossible to keep him there.
Yasopp, even though being a horrible father, is a man who should be admired, a man who follows his own path. He's trying to teach Usopp to live in his own, and encouraging him to battle for his own dreams. All Yasopp did was follow his own dreams- and that's what Usopp is doing now.

You can't have a little of both. Preferred and Oppositional cancel each other out. what you did was just a contridiction. That's why I didn't leave a middle view. I predicted that you would try and worm your way out and try and do a little of both.

///_^
Old 2004-03-22, 21:48   Link #11
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranz
You can't have a little of both. Preferred and Oppositional cancel each other out. what you did was just a contridiction. That's why I didn't leave a middle view. I predicted that you would try and worm your way out and try and do a little of both.

///_^
Mean Dranz
There's no contradiction there. At least I don't think so.
So I go with the "preferred view". By the fact Usopp's mother knew Yasopp would left her someday, and she understood that quite well.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 22:00   Link #12
eLstar
(^_^)v

No, your reasoning is very good. It's just that you took both from Oppositional and Preferred view. You're not allowed to have both. This is what I meant by this isn't really a poll.

Besides your opinion DOES seem like it was leaning on the preferred side anyway.

///_^
Old 2004-03-22, 23:30   Link #13
CAPTAIN USOPP!!

Send a message via AIM to CAPTAIN USOPP!!
usopp is always right, so im gunna have to side with him admiring his dad. i want to see more yasopp and shanks in the anime, im on episode 120 or so and all i have seen are the flashbacks. plz no spoilers tho heh =D

cptusopp
CAPTAIN USOPP!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 16:23   Link #14
SurfD

Send a message via ICQ to SurfD Send a message via MSN to SurfD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lst2touchdasky
I think yasopp is an awsome character- hes the only one who had a chance at killing luffy with out a struggle but didnt attempt it.
SAYYYY WHAT!?!?!?! Where on earth did you get that idead?

I have read the translated manga to chapter 311, and seen all the KF eps, and I dont recall even once when Yasopp ever would have had the chance to kill Luffy. Hell, the only time Yasopp and Luffy were even in each others company was in the first few issues/eps of the series before Luffy even left his home town, when he was still a kid. And Yassop sure as hell wouldnt have tried to kill him then, cause Shanks would have put some major hurt on him for even thinking about it.

Unless there is some major spoilerish news from future manga eps i dont know about, I would really like to know what you were smoking when you wrote that down?

Last edited by SurfD; 2004-03-23 at 23:10.
SurfD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 20:16   Link #15
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN USOPP!!
usopp is always right, so im gunna have to side with him admiring his dad. i want to see more yasopp and shanks in the anime, im on episode 120 or so and all i have seen are the flashbacks. plz no spoilers tho heh =D

cptusopp
Nah, Usopp isn't right all the time. I think i won't benefit him thinking this way, I feel eventually Usopp might abandon his own wife and kid someday, and not all kids can be like Usopp and feel nothing but admiration for their father leaving them.
Old 2004-03-24, 07:04   Link #16
Big Hungry Joe
Baku Baku Man

Ok, I'll throw my 2 cents in. I agree with the prefered view.

When Usopps mother married Yasopp, she knew he was a nomad at heart. She knew he would end up leaving because the call of the sea would be too great. The life of a pirate was like an addictive drug, and there was no way Yasopp would be able to live the quiet life after all his adventures with Shanks. She didn't hold it against him that he left, she probably let him go.

Yasopp didn't walk out on his family to take up drinking, or to waste his life. He left to pursue the greatest dream of the people during the Great Era of Pirates. To be a pirate. Usopp's mother brought him up respecting him so Usopp wouldn't hate his father so that Usopp wouldn't grow up mad and craving for revenge against his father. She brought him up knowing that one day he would become a pirate too, and would go on adventures like his father.
Big Hungry Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 08:45   Link #17
BladeMasterZing

I have to say Yassop is a very irresponsible man.

The 2 arguments that say yassop is a great man is
1)He is a nomad at heart and his wife knows that, so its perfectly fine that he left
2)He is trying to teach Ussop how to follow his own path.

1)
His wife loves him, thats why even though she knew yassop will leave her one day to be a pirate, she still marry him and bear him a son.

This is contradict to love. If yassop wife will sacrifice the rest of her life for yassop, we should expect yassop to sacrifice something for her. So how will u like, if you love someone so much, then someday this person left ya, ESPECIALLY after you bore a son. Then you spend the rest of your life trying to take care of the son until you got sick and died while hoping your soul mate will return. If yassop is such a great man, he will not have married. Great man not only think about themselves, but also for others. Especially someone so close to you like a soul mate.

2)
Teaching ussop to follow his own path? You mean leaving him alone with his mother, join one of the most powerful pirate group and shooting evil pirates dead to sastify his nomadic heart? I always thought a father should stay by his son to teach him, how are you going to teach your son something so uncommon and sophiscated without staying by your son? Fatherless children has some mental problems that normal children dont have. Ussop happens to be very talented or it is because this is just an anime.

I think this is year 2000 ish, where woman and man are equal. Its not perfectly fine for a gentleman to desert his own wife and son. How will you like if your father is to leave you with your mother just so he can sastisfy his childlish dream of dominating something like the sea, enjoying his life. To compensate you, he will talk to his buddies about you all the time. Maybe if this is the 17th century, its perfectly public acceptable that a man can leave their family to strike it on their own in another country. As much as history proves, these men who left their hometown usually remarried and never returned. Even those that returned has sastify their lust frequently with prositutes and some had even brought another wife home?
BladeMasterZing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 09:30   Link #18
Big Hungry Joe
Baku Baku Man

The unfortunate thing in this thread is that I could only pick one side of the argument. But anyway, I continue.

Yassop was a horible father. He missed out on watching his son grow up, and has missed out on some of the best years of his life. But does that make Yassop a terrible man in general. It makes him a fool, yes irresponsible, but not a horrible person.

Unfortunately you can't explain something as irrational as love with logic. If Yassop knew he would one day leave his wife and son behind then he shouldn't have married. But for all we know Yassop may have been dedicated to stay with his wife. He was in love with her and at the time that was all that mattered. But soon he couldn't take it. The lack of excitement and adventures. Then he couldn't take it anymore, and he had to leave. I believe his wife understood this, and didn't want to keep him chained down. Maybe she thinks she was a fool trying to tame such a wild man.

Yassop is a lot of things. He is a brave sea warrior who heard the oceans call and answered it. He is also a horrible father who left behind his son, but that would still be better then taking him to the Grand Line. And he is also a fool who has tried to have it all, but in the end will probably lose it all. But I think in the end what will define whether or not he is a horrible person is if he regrets leaving his son or not, and so far its been indicated he does.
Big Hungry Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 10:22   Link #19
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I prefer the preferred view ... straight up... Yasopp booked it from his family to live out his dreams... to be a pirate... there needs to be no reasoning or justification for his actions... Yasopp just wants to live out his life the way he wants and not be tied down in some island when he can go sailing the oceans and shoot people...

so yeah... I think it's right that Usopp inherited his father's will... aspiring to become a brave warrior of the sea ...
Old 2004-03-24, 10:31   Link #20
Lst2touchdasky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfD
SAYYYY WHAT!?!?!?! Where on earth did you get that idead?

I have read the translated manga to chapter 311, and seen all the KF eps, and I dont recall even once when Yasopp ever would have had the chance to kill Luffy. Hell, the only time Yasopp and Luffy were even in each others company was in the first few issues/eps of the series before Luffy even left his home town, when he was still a kid. And Yassop sure as hell wouldnt have tried to kill him then, cause Shanks would have put some major hurt on him for even thinking about it.

Unless there is some major spoilerish news from future manga eps i dont know about, I would really like to know what you were smoking when you wrote that down?
It occured in the the episode that ussop was talking to luffy about his father- there was a flashback of Non-rubber luffy with an apple on his head and Yassop showing off his skills. Well if wanted to he could have killed luffy :fingers: