AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-08, 17:26   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Recommend me a good XInput compatible gamepad

That isn't an xbox 360 controller. I really dislike the 360 pad's ergonomics and prefer something more shaped like a Playstation controller.

I currently have a POS Steelseries 3GC gamepad, but it is not XInput compatible (it uses DirectInput, which fewer and fewer games use these days).
Old 2012-08-08, 17:41   Link #2
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Have you thought of using a Dual Shock 3? You can use them on PCs with some software that is free. I'd have to find out what it is again.
Old 2012-08-08, 17:48   Link #3
Sides

Check the current logitech gamepads. They are shaped like the DS, but have the correct 360 button coloring, which is helpful.

Alternatively you can use the DS3 with help of 3rd party drivers. Motioninjoy, which has signed drivers, but questionable software, or Tamamy's driver, which are unsigned, but are just pure drivers, no crappy software attached.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 19:15   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

For making a Dual Shock 3 work on PC. It even emulates an XBox 360 controller for games that only support that controller.
Old 2012-08-09, 16:39   Link #5
spikexp

Been using motion in joy with a 5 $ asus USB-BT211 Mini USB Bluetooth Dongle for quite a while. Work perfectly.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 22:23   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

How responsive is that? I know that the DS3/Sixaxis work very well on the PS3, but the PS3's Bluetooth stack is optimized specifically for use with the gamepad. The Bluetooth stack in Windows 7 is more optimized for headsets, keyboards and mice, and not for gaming.
Old 2012-08-10, 05:38   Link #7
Sides

IIRC the motioninjoy software overrides parts of the windows BT drivers, but they might have changed it now. You better check on their forum, if you are using your BT for other devices.
Old 2012-08-10, 08:51   Link #8
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
How responsive is that? I know that the DS3/Sixaxis work very well on the PS3, but the PS3's Bluetooth stack is optimized specifically for use with the gamepad. The Bluetooth stack in Windows 7 is more optimized for headsets, keyboards and mice, and not for gaming.
Why not just go ahead and try it? You'll see it is as responsive as a gamepad needs to be. I'm not sure what are you referring with bluetooth '' stack '' but to play with PS3 controller on PC w/ motioninjoy you'd just use the normal USB cable that you charge the controller with.
Old 2012-08-10, 16:00   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Because just trying it involves buying a PS3 controller. I don't own a PS3, so I can't just grab one of the controllers and try it.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:30   Link #10
Sides

You should really consider the 360 style pad, because the way most games are mapped towards it on the PC. If you had a DS3 already, using the emulator would have been a cheap solution, but just getting the DS3 for that purpose is a waste of money. You better get something that is supported straight away with standard drivers, than using some wacky software.
I suggest getting the 360 pad, the hori EX2 or the Razer Onza, alternatively the logitech rumble pads, which has the DS3 shape, but standard PC(360) button-layout.
Old 2012-08-11, 17:42   Link #11
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Because just trying it involves buying a PS3 controller. I don't own a PS3, so I can't just grab one of the controllers and try it.
I have no idea what answer you're looking for in terms of 'how responsive is it'.

It works. I've been using motioninjoy with a PS3 pad for at least two years. Probably longer. With zero issues. These days, the drivers are even signed. Maybe I've been living in bizarro world, but I can't remember ever using a gamepad on the PC that had 'responsiveness' issues.

I really can't think of anything else to say.

That said, as you don't have a PS3, there's no reason to go this route, as a PS3 controller is probably at least twice as expensive as an average PC gamepad (nevermind if you're also going to include the cost of a Bluetooth dongle for the PS3 controller, though it isn't needed unless you dislike playing with cords).

Just buy any of the gazillion (slight exaggeration, but you get my drift) of PC gamepads out there. Logitech is usually a safe choice.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 02:10   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I did buy one of the "gazillion" PC gamepads. Not all of them support XInput, and therefore they don't work well (or at all) on a lot of modern games.