Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-11, 02:36   Link #21
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
...otaku-style anime...
You know, I don't know what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?
Old 2004-09-11, 16:16   Link #22
mayukhers112
Mahou Shonen

I can't wait for Nyo to come out! Bandai better get off their butts and release this soon....This and Nyan Nyan Taruto. I mean, I've never seen this one...but I do have the henshin words and everything!! lol...what are their henshin sequences like?
Old 2004-09-11, 17:32   Link #23
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
You know, I don't know what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?
Generally "otaku-style" means that the show doesn't make a big effort to attract a general audience. This style is common in OAVs, like the ones based on bishoujo games.

This show specifically:

doesn't bother coming up with a gripping storyline, but allows its characters to dominate the proceedings. Furthermore, even a character-driven series can be guided by the scriptwriting, but in this show, the voice talents are relied on to fill in the characters.

goes for image songs from the voice talent. Image songs from the cast have fan appeal, but a show shooting for a wider audience will go with music which is more accessible.

goes for the sort of low-res visual style many OAVs tend to favor. Panyo Panyo and Nyo didn't go in for passersby who looked like thumbs and backgrounds out of "Harold and the Purple Crayon."

Note that none of these points touch on the otaku jokes (Bukimi, the Iron Leg Johnny cards, the shop setting et al.). "Otaku-style" doesn't require that sort of content, which is pretty rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukhers112
...what are their henshin sequences like?
Um, this is not mahou shoujo... In Nyo, Usada climbs into a cardboard box and pretends she is transforming into Rabi en Rose, but Digiko is not really amused...
Old 2004-09-11, 18:51   Link #24
mayukhers112
Mahou Shonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Um, this is not mahou shoujo... In Nyo, Usada climbs into a cardboard box and pretends she is transforming into Rabi en Rose, but Digiko is not really amused...
Oh....oops...I read a lot of places it was mahou shoujo....maybe I'm wrong...sorry....Here, I found some! ....

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rllew/di-gi-charat3.html
http://www.tcp.com/~doi/digiko/nyo/digiko.html (They have her words at the bottom, same with puchiko and Rabi's profiles)
http://www.madhousemedia.com.au/cham...gi_charat.html (scroll down down down)

And there were a couple other sites, notably one bloggish site listing Full Metal Alchemist as 'magic' and the same for Da capo. How much of Nyo have you seen, Babbito2k? I'm not disagreeing with you...I'm just asking...no hard feelings...
Old 2004-09-11, 19:37   Link #25
babbito2k
annoying white bat

2 wrongs don't make a right (Doi excepted; see below). It's too bad these other webscrawlers are too eager to use the term magical girl as they don't seem to know that it means something or what it means. One site you mentioned was written by someone who admits to never seeing the show.

Doi's site correctly puts quotation marks around the word "transform" because the magic phrase doesn't make anything happen. Check his Anime Index page and you will notice that he does not list any DGC shows among the magical girl series.

In Nyo, Digiko has a couple of toys (a cel phone and something else) in a little hip-purse or something and always says something before using them. But they work even if she doesn't say anything, and if there's a hammer in the bag it's still a hammer when she pulls it out. She can always use Megara Beam, even if it's the first thing after waking up. None of this amounts to anything more than a feeble joke about magical girl shows - I think the Rabi en Rose gag I mentioned sums it up.
Old 2004-09-11, 22:50   Link #26
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
goes for the sort of low-res visual style many OAVs tend to favor. Panyo Panyo and Nyo didn't go in for passersby who looked like thumbs and backgrounds out of "Harold and the Purple Crayon."
Yeah, but there's all sorts of weird blob creatures in Nyo, isn't there? There was the "suspisously wiggling" fellow....but maybe I'm getting mixed up.

Oh, that's right, and when those two guys who seem to be Bukimi-like "became soft" to break Dijiko's fall when Usada gave her a kick. I also need to watch these things again.
Old 2004-09-11, 23:28   Link #27
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Yeah, but there's all sorts of weird blob creatures in Nyo, isn't there? There was the "suspisously wiggling" fellow....but maybe I'm getting mixed up.

Oh, that's right, and when those two guys who seem to be Bukimi-like "became soft" to break Dijiko's fall when Usada gave her a kick. I also need to watch these things again.
Those are minor characters. I was referring to the customers and passersby in the original series, who are basically thumbs with faces where the thumbnail goes. And there's no explaining away those backgrounds.
Old 2004-09-12, 02:04   Link #28
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukhers112
http://www.tcp.com/~doi/digiko/nyo/digiko.html (They have her words at the bottom, same with puchiko and Rabi's profiles)
Jeez, this does make Nyo sound like a kid's show. And those girls from Panyo show up? ....I'm dubious about this one now.
Closed Thread