AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2022-09-23, 00:49   Link #21
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I've got to say that I'm feeling pretty good about this one after playing around with the demo. The art direction for Star Ocean has still thrown me off, but this is just how they want to go about it.

Not sure if it's just by comparison to other demos I've tried recently, but I had a good time with this one. The characters feel ok so far. Definitely biased but loving Laeticia in the early going thanks to Inori Minase. But in general the cast seems pretty solid. Ray isn't bad either. At the very least he handles situations pretty well and thanks to having been a Captain (while he had a ship) he doesn't feel constantly overwhelmed by his situation even if he's having a tough time in general.

Definitely have to get a feel for the combat still. Though I do like the craziness that the Duma can add too it.

Just feels like it could be a solid sci-fi adventure. Kind of looking forward to seeing how this one turns out .

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2022-09-23 at 01:01.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-23, 01:42   Link #22
Sides

I like exploring the environment in the demo, especially after you get D.U.M.A. Not sure about the combat system. Basically there is no normal attacks, but once you get the D.U.M.A., it is all about crashing into enemies, hack and repeat, so don't really miss normal attacks that way.
One thing that surprised me was, the characters cannot climb ladders. You have to use D.U.M.A to fly onto higher levels, like the watchtower in the first village...

I personally like how the character models look, it is like a Star Ocean brand, since the series went 3D. Plus I like Ray's glam-rock heavy metal hairdo.

Last edited by Sides; 2022-09-24 at 12:10.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-24, 01:04   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This game definitely isn't doing anything dramatically different when it comes to the character models. I've just been bothered by it ever since they did go down that road. But plenty of times I've gotten past it. Just that it throws me off every time when coming to a fresh game in the series.
Old 2022-09-24, 09:24   Link #24
stray
Classic Tsundere

I'm kind of annoyed that the demo doesn't seem to be coming to Steam. I guess there's still a chance but it seems to be dwindling.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-26, 15:43   Link #25
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Played the demo on PS4, the frame rate is abysmal. The game's got a few other issues too (lip syncing, collision points on landing, etc.) but it's got promise. Nice skill trees, much better models than I expected honestly, a decent story as far as the demo goes and beautiful music to go with it. There's even a card game, although I didn't find a deck to actually play.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-21, 19:18   Link #26
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Whole bunch of new stuff:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
I like the new Welch. Just started Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and I'm not like that Welch design. But this one... pretty nifty.

Also looking forward to more about Marielle.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 20:33   Link #27
JagdPanther

Reviews coming out so far are reasonably good for the most part.

One of the things still unclear to me is how character recruitment will go. It seems like you'll have 8 character slots max but there are more than 8 playable characters they've unveiled. I want to pick Laeticia as my main, but I also want Marielle. I am going to go out on a limb that if Marielle is not a default ally character that she'll be linked with Ray's story (like how you could recruit Dias only if you picked Rena as your main character in SO2) given what they've shown so far in previews about Marielle and Ray.

Old 2022-10-27, 19:22   Link #28
stray
Classic Tsundere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Reviews coming out so far are reasonably good for the most part.
Ehh... they seem fairly mixed from what I've seen, though I decided to play no matter how good or bad it is. I managed to put a few hours in and its pretty okay so far, the cast is better than I expected mullets and all. I decided on Laeticia first though apparently there's no NG+ which I'd hope will get patched in at some point.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-27, 19:25   Link #29
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Ehh... they seem fairly mixed from what I've seen, though I decided to play no matter how good or bad it is. I managed to put a few hours in and its pretty okay so far, the cast is better than I expected mullets and all. I decided on Laeticia first though apparently there's no NG+ which I'd hope will get patched in at some point.
I saw a few middling reviews, but a bunch of like (converting to percentage points) 70%-80% ones.

I did see the new game plus thing; that's unfortunate.