AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 44 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 32.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 19.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-29, 20:32   Link #221
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Chihiro subs are out!!

EDIT: Finished watching it and the game's afoot! 9/10

Next episode... the scene! (probably end on it)

EDIT 2: serious music is serious.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2009-08-29 at 23:01.
Old 2009-08-29, 20:33   Link #222
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I liked the fact that it looked like Haruhi was about to whack her in the head, stopped just short and tapped her.

You know, so they keep the requirement of Haruhi hitting her on the head without making her look like a monster.
She sure didn't hold back a little later, when she started repeatedly beating Mikuru over the head with it. Then she was in full monster mode, and that was when Serious Kyon rode to the rescue.
Old 2009-08-29, 22:35   Link #223
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I just realised something.

Remember in The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00, the camera was panning up and down after the Mikuru Beam and when Yuki was raping tackling Mikuru?

Take a closer look at Kyon's hand movements (specifically the one holding the camera) in that same scene in this episode.
Old 2009-08-29, 23:07   Link #224
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I just realised something.

Remember in The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00, the camera was panning up and down after the Mikuru Beam and when Yuki was raping tackling Mikuru?

Take a closer look at Kyon's hand movements (specifically the one holding the camera) in that same scene in this episode.
Kyon panned it down instead of up, right?
Old 2009-08-29, 23:09   Link #225
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Kyon panned it down instead of up, right?
Not really. Kyon panned it up at first, then down afterwards. What was seen in Mikuru 00 more or less fit the sequence.
Old 2009-08-29, 23:23   Link #226
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That he stops recording after the flash and then starts up again is interesting. He's also still zoomed in. His hand motions with the camera fit just about perfectly with what we see in the finished product...also Haruhi walks around Mikuru and Yuki so that when she comes into camera in the film, she comes in from the left size, even though the director's chair was off camera to the right. An accurate recreation of something they animated three plus years ago, from a completely different angle.
Old 2009-08-30, 01:20   Link #227
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
You're probably right. However, unless they drastically improve the quality of the final scene in Sigh I, the problem is going to come up the first time someone watches the DVD.
That's what the credits are for And again, unless you really are looking at them side by side... you won't really notice.
Old 2009-08-30, 05:38   Link #228
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
After watching episode 12... I don't see where Haruhi is K-Onified in this episode. Many of her facial expressions are just about identical to her facial expressions in the classic 2006 style. Also, Haruhi has regained her somewhat unique open smile, which had been Yui-fied for a while.

The only K-On-ifed element that remains is lack of line definition (such as broken closed smiles - i.e. instead of one solid line for the smile, we have a half-smile line and then a little bit more line added in after a break). Other than that (and it's not even constant - frequently, you do have line definition), Haruhi looks to be back on 2006 model to me. Aside from degree of line definition, is there anything about Haruhi's look in this episode that makes you think K-On or Yui?

As for line definition... well, it's such a small part of the artwork, that if everything else is the way I like it, I'll let it slide.

I agree with you here. However, I'm pretty much happy with the art style in this episode.
Even during K-ON, Ikeda's episodes were the most away from K-ON design and looked like Clannad, so how could Haruhi be K-ONified? She isn't under the influence of K-ON.

But, you call what we saw in Clannad a K-ONified element too? Every time people say K-ON in Haruhi threads , I didn't get the point and was confused, but I'm getting the idea of it now. K-ON itself doesn't matter, right?
Old 2009-08-30, 06:19   Link #229
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Yeah...as mixed as my feelings for this franchise have always been my opinion of it has never been as low as it's been these past couple of months. This episode doesn't really change that feeling much (at least it's not E8 wore off quickly) and frankly none of the new episodes have really been anything other than decent time passers so far. I could at least point to some episodes of the original run that were exceptional, but it seems that recently any and all creative notions and artistic (in the intellectual sense) have truly left this production duo behind. Disappointing outside of the fanservice and moe as usual for Neo-Kyoani.
Old 2009-08-30, 07:04   Link #230
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
*snips*
It's not all bad, but I do wish that the art consistency could be maintained. For example, in this episodes, there were parts that were very VERY close to the 2006 airing in terms of style, then in the next scene they change back to the newer KyoAni style.
Old 2009-08-30, 10:25   Link #231
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

I finally started picking this up again and watched Sighs. And I have to say, I like it. Yes, it's quite good.

Those were my reactions:

Spoiler:

So I rated Sighs I with 7/10, Sighs II & III with 8/10.

Last edited by Takamura Mamoru; 2009-08-30 at 14:22.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:03   Link #232
OkamiNoKaze

I think calling the style K-onified is just spillover from people that didn't like that show. And because they're appling the style of a show they hated on to Haruhi, it just makes it worse for them.
Old 2009-08-30, 13:09   Link #233
ReneeBurossamu

.... you know what I just noticed?
I've never seen Koizumi eat anything, just drink tea.
/pointless
Old 2009-08-30, 13:50   Link #234
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeBurossamu View Post
.... you know what I just noticed?
I've never seen Koizumi eat anything, just drink tea.
/pointless
Spoiler for Novel tidbits~:
Old 2009-08-30, 14:49   Link #235
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
Spoiler for Novel tidbits~:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-30, 15:10   Link #236
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I could at least point to some episodes of the original run that were exceptional, but it seems that recently any and all creative notions and artistic (in the intellectual sense) have truly left this production duo behind. Disappointing outside of the fanservice and moe as usual for Neo-Kyoani.
Why are you discrediting KyoAni for this?

This is Sighs. It is the absolute worst, most boring part of the source material outside of Where Did the Cat Go (and as much as I love that story, I'll admit that much).

There honestly isn't much they can do with this story aside from what they're doing already. This isn't like Live Alive or DoS where they have artistic freedom~ to work with.

This is still infinitely better than the original novel. And that's KyoAni's doing.

But wait. You complain about everything that KyoAni makes regardless of its qualiy.
Old 2009-08-30, 15:43   Link #237
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Why are you discrediting KyoAni for this?

This is Sighs. It is the absolute worst, most boring part of the source material outside of Where Did the Cat Go (and as much as I love that story, I'll admit that much).

There honestly isn't much they can do with this story aside from what they're doing already. This isn't like Live Alive or DoS where they have artistic freedom~ to work with.

This is still infinitely better than the original novel. And that's KyoAni's doing.
Yeah, KyoAni deserves credit for Sighs. I think that they kind of missed the boat on a couple of key bits in episodes 10 and 11, but they were bang on superb for episode 12, and overall, their work for 10 through 12 has been quite commendable.

If Kaioshin hasn't read the novels, I can understand him being a bit non-plussed, but this really is an outstanding job of taking a part of the source material where almost every central character is at his or her worst, and making it pretty enjoyable instead.
Old 2009-08-30, 16:04   Link #238
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Now don't go starting a new fetish, soon everyone will want some Mikuru spit in their tea.
Old 2009-08-30, 18:00   Link #239
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Mmh, the plot of Sighs may not be interesting, but I think certain scenes help the character development and there's a lot of great dialogue. I'm definitely enjoying it and don't think KyoAni is doing a bad job (except for the art/animation).
Old 2009-08-30, 19:29   Link #240
Jintor

It's not up to S1 quality but then again I feel a lot of you are rose-tinting S1 quality anyway (apart from backgrounds, they almost always rocked). New style is different in its own way, that way being moe-ness, which I can appreciate that not everybody likes but hell - I like K-On Kyon.
Closed Thread