AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-04-28, 19:12   Link #141
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You can resummon Arsene in the game though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-28, 22:42   Link #142
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

One of my pet peeve with Persona series is the protagonist Personas. They are so nicely designed and thematically linked with the protagonist, but they got outclassed too fast and totally useless. Waste of good designs
Old 2018-04-29, 06:01   Link #143
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The starting persona of the protag tends to be linked to the final persona, which is usually the best persona in the game.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 06:29   Link #144
The Green One

As Persona 4 showed, the Protagonist's story is a journey. From their humble beginnings with their initial persona, to their final ultimate persona that shows them at the peak of their power.
Old 2018-04-29, 07:05   Link #145
Random14

Not bad opening, fits the whole phantom thieves theme of the series. Strange they went with that for a stinger, we already have the interrogation room for a flashforward/framing device, no need to add more.

Yay, they've started adding the Social Links, er, Confidants, though Takemi's intro was a bit odd. They rearranged things a bit, though I kind of wish they had explained more things before the boss battle rather than during it. Well, its still early so they're still covering the basic mechanics (multiple personas, fusion, etc.). And ew, forgot how ugly the boss was, but well it is that guy's sins.

I kind of wish Joker would talk a bit more, but we'll see how that goes. So that's the first arc down, they've successfully changed someone's heart, now to see how it goes from there to that interrogation room.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 10:08   Link #146
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Pretty good episode, compared to the rest:

- we got an OP!
- gun purchase, at last. Morgana's been using his slingshot for a while now anyway. Confidants unlocking make me look forward to the rest of them playing out.
- This episode had a very gamey feel to it, especially during the recruit and fusion scenes. Not sure if it's bad or good yet.
- Palace #1 CLEAR!
- Pace-wise, while they've taken the time to sit down and properly explain a lot of things, there's still that too-fast cut to what happens next. It probably can't be helped though, so I won't hold it against the show.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 11:48   Link #147
Wandering Soul

The start of Tae's confidant link is a bit weird due to how she wasn't immediately starts trusting a random kid with her experiment. The games logic just made more sense.
Old 2018-04-29, 13:17   Link #148
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
One of my pet peeve with Persona series is the protagonist Personas. They are so nicely designed and thematically linked with the protagonist, but they got outclassed too fast and totally useless. Waste of good designs
I just hate for some reason make him summon dumb looking things when there are cool things he could summon.

If he used Fairy instead woulda been nice. Nope she gets sacrificed right away
Old 2018-04-29, 15:53   Link #149
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The starting persona of the protag tends to be linked to the final persona, which is usually the best persona in the game.
This is a lie. I ask if you have ever heard of a certain persona with power charge + Hassou Tobi (or the magic equiv of concentrate+shining arrows)? Even in p3, orpheus telos has nothing on armageddon + VC

Last edited by IceHism; 2018-04-29 at 16:05.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-30, 20:24   Link #150
myopius

Reading this thread, many people seem to have played Persona 5. I've played neither Persona 5 nor Persona 4, but I loved Persona 4 The Animation.

As for Persona 5 The Animation... I loved episode 1, and episode 2 was nice, but I haven't liked the past 2 episodes as much. It feels like everything works out too conveniently for the characters. Like the way that Ann yelled at Kamoshida and made him immediately decide he should live to atone for his crimes. And concerning the one girl who tried to kill herself and is now in the hospital where she can't do sports, does Kamoshida turning himself in (reported to her by Ann) really mean much for her at this point? It does represent "hope" to an extent, but... Maybe the anime just didn't show enough detail for me to understand her character, but I feel like her character has a lot to deal with, but the narrative is breezing through it.

Is P5TA a significantly "worse" adaptation than P4TA, or is it just that I don't like Persona 5 itself as much (yet)? What also threw me off is the very end of episode 4... I know it's obvious who's in the group from the OP, but I didn't expect them to openly show the whole group like that this early in. I wonder if it was the same in the game.
Old 2018-04-30, 21:53   Link #151
Twi

Well, what would you have them do for Shiho? She already jumped and hurt herself. She's already been raped. No one else knew or if they did they didn't care enough to speak up, meaning that it would have just been something that haunted her for the rest of her life.

It still will, but them forcing him to accept his punishment means that the bastard can't do it to anyone else and gives her justice so she can at least know that these "phantom thieves" did something when no one else would.

It's not all that different from what happened in Persona 4 with the bad guy. Bringing him in doesn't bring back the woman he murdered, but it stops him from getting away with it and doing it to someone else.

And the reason Ann wanted him to live was because it was crueler than letting him die since it meant his life is basically over as a convicted rapist who abused his position.

But, you're right to an extent. The animation can't fully give you the weight of everything because there isn't enough time. This is only a 20-something adaptation of a 100+ hour game, so they don't have time to take everything slow. It was the same with Persona 4 the animation.

Last edited by Twi; 2018-05-01 at 09:59.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-30, 23:46   Link #152
myopius

Thanks. I can see how what you're describing gives more weight to everything. It's just that not seeing it touched upon in the anime itself made me feel like it had been taken for granted. I never said I didn't understand why Ann said she wanted him to live, by the way, I just said that Kamoshida's reaction struck me as really convenient.

I actually didn't realize that Shiho was raped--I thought she was just cut from the team or whatever as retaliation for Ann not meeting up with Kamoshida. Now her suicide attempt makes a little more sense to me.

Anyway, although I know the game has more detail, I'd definitely prefer not to switch from the anime to the game, so you saying "it was the same with Persona 4 the animation" relieves me. All I want is for the Persona 5 anime to convey the heart of the story as well as the Persona 4 anime, I don't expect it to carry over every line. I'm thinking that Kamoshida's various crimes had a lot of complex implications where other character's reactions to them are hard to summarize in a necessarily condensed adaptation.
Old 2018-05-01, 05:46   Link #153
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Also to be fair, the scene where she spared Kamoshida was much more powerful in the game.

In general, while I won't say the anime is shit, the game does almost everything better. Not just "in more detail", the animation is just way better, conveyance of emotions as well as evoking them in the viewer is just way better.
Old 2018-05-01, 23:49   Link #154
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well the very nature of P3, 4 and 5 will almost always mean that thew games will do it better.

If anything, it should spark viewers to buy the games so maybe we can get more good stuff 1 year later (FeMC when?).
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 00:49   Link #155
Tormenk

On the note of the games doing it better, there's this:

Mother's Basement is basing this off the first three episodes so there's no spoilers involved. I agree on almost every point he raised but most of all, the anime has huge shoes to fill in comparison to p4 because of how polished P5 is. That said, I'll still be sticking around just to see how the anime will flesh out Ren/Akira and their take on the future battles.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 12:01   Link #156
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The Persona 4 anime was at least better in conveying emotions since Persona 4 was rather limited in how expressive the little 3D models could be.

Persona 5 on the flipside, is just plain ridiculous in how expressive everyone is.

(I think Catherine was their testing ground for that kind of animation)
Old 2018-05-02, 15:03   Link #157
pervypig

^ Eh, good ol' catherine. I never got around to P4 or 5 but P3 was pretty nice. If only they did a perfect adaptation of it.
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 16:26   Link #158
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
Reading this thread, many people seem to have played Persona 5. I've played neither Persona 5 nor Persona 4, but I loved Persona 4 The Animation.

As for Persona 5 The Animation... I loved episode 1, and episode 2 was nice, but I haven't liked the past 2 episodes as much. It feels like everything works out too conveniently for the characters. Like the way that Ann yelled at Kamoshida and made him immediately decide he should live to atone for his crimes. And concerning the one girl who tried to kill herself and is now in the hospital where she can't do sports, does Kamoshida turning himself in (reported to her by Ann) really mean much for her at this point? It does represent "hope" to an extent, but... Maybe the anime just didn't show enough detail for me to understand her character, but I feel like her character has a lot to deal with, but the narrative is breezing through it.

Is P5TA a significantly "worse" adaptation than P4TA, or is it just that I don't like Persona 5 itself as much (yet)? What also threw me off is the very end of episode 4... I know it's obvious who's in the group from the OP, but I didn't expect them to openly show the whole group like that this early in. I wonder if it was the same in the game.
It's not the same but by this point in the game I was not enjoying the story that much. I just wanted to punch the screen about all the crap the game was throwing the main character. Almost everyone's a jerk to him by this point in the game, it feels really crappy.

I personally wasn't really sold on the game until the third palace rolled in and the show isn't really helping change that opinion.

But yeah, I fully agree that the game is an absolute masterpiece of animation and the show is like a cheap knockoff compared to it. The "all-in attacks" in particular look awful. Like someone mention: they would be better off just flat out capturing the game for that, it would look miles better. (Really, I can't understate how awesome some of the animation in the game is. I'm looking forward to the show ruining one of my favourite moments down the line )
Old 2018-05-02, 18:53   Link #159
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
It's not the same but by this point in the game I was not enjoying the story that much. I just wanted to punch the screen about all the crap the game was throwing the main character. Almost everyone's a jerk to him by this point in the game, it feels really crappy.
I think that's something the anime failed to convey properly, by the way. I was shocked by the way Joker was treated by everyone else in the game, especially after P4 where everybody was super nice to Yu from the get-go. They've focused too much on the Palace and Kamoshida at the expense of this.
Old 2018-05-02, 19:43   Link #160
The Green One

Thing is Yu doesn't have a criminal record like Joker does. You have to understand this is how Japanese society works. If you do something dishonorable, shameful, or don't conform to society and fit in what is considered your "proper place" you're scorned and shunned regardless if you deserve it or not.