AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-29, 17:39   Link #1201
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Eh. It wouldn't be cheap, but it'd be affordable. After all, if they ran out of weapons and peace broke out in the Middle East, who would we sell our weapons to?
That would be Africa. Military conflicts occur quite often in Africa, but since the US is not causing trouble there, the military conflicts and genocides are less known. Nonetheless, its military crisis in terms of size scale is probably more or less the same as the Middle East, except they don't have advanced weaponry.
Old 2008-12-29, 19:24   Link #1202
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Israel have his own weapon's industry, they don't buy everything. If I am not mistaken ,they started when DeGaule stopped the shippement of french jets to Israel.
Still, expensive costs. If they don't have free (or more free) American aid, there is more chnace they'll be forced to make a peace agreement with Palestine.
Old 2008-12-29, 21:11   Link #1203
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Still, expensive costs. If they don't have free (or more free) American aid, there is more chnace they'll be forced to make a peace agreement with Palestine.
The thing is, it's not all free. A lot of that foriegn aid given to Israel is in the form of loans that in theory need to be paid back. I say in theory, as I doubt the US is going to tell Israel to pay up if they decide they'd rather spend that money on something else. Most of the actual free weapons are small arms, which Israel is more than able to manufacture themselves. Of course France and Russia won't be as leniant when it comes time to pay their bills, but Russian aircraft for example tend to be a few million less than US aircraft in the same class.
Old 2008-12-29, 21:37   Link #1204
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Of course France and Russia won't be as leniant when it comes time to pay their bills, but Russian aircraft for example tend to be a few million less than US aircraft in the same class.
Russian aircraft are cost less to buy, but many country than did buy russian aircraft goit much problem for finding spare pieces for them. And for the french, there's last one , the Rafale, didn't even sell at all.
Israel could be better with the airplane thei build themself ot maybe the Grippen from SAAB.
Old 2008-12-29, 23:42   Link #1205
LeoXiao
思想工作

I still can't imagine the Israelis buying aircraft from Russia or China, simply on the grounds that the US might get pissed (and that Russian and Chinese stuff isn't as good).

They can manufacture their own weapons, but how would that compare cost-wise to getting weapons from foreign suppliers?

Is it (in terms of cost): US supplies>>>>russian weapons>french weapons>>home manufacturing? If this is the case Israel will probably have a much higher chance of negotiating with Hamas if US military supplies are cut.
Old 2008-12-29, 23:51   Link #1206
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I still can't imagine the Israelis buying aircraft from Russia or China, simply on the grounds that the US might get pissed (and that Russian and Chinese stuff isn't as good).

They can manufacture their own weapons, but how would that compare cost-wise to getting weapons from foreign suppliers?

Is it (in terms of cost): US supplies>>>>russian weapons>french weapons>>home manufacturing? If this is the case Israel will probably have a much higher chance of negotiating with Hamas if US military supplies are cut.
I can't imagine Israel buying arms from anyone else except the US and making its own, actually. Don't even discuss Russia, China and whatnot, I can't even think of them buying from France or Germany even. I think Israel is better off building its own, esp. when China's "newest" jet was apparently copied from Israel.
Old 2008-12-29, 23:58   Link #1207
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
I can't imagine Israel buying arms from anyone else except the US and making its own, actually. Don't even discuss Russia, China and whatnot, I can't even think of them buying from France or Germany even. I think Israel is better off building its own, esp. when China's "newest" jet was apparently copied from Israel.
I always thought they [Israel] built their own weapons?
Old 2008-12-30, 05:09   Link #1208
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
I always thought they [Israel] built their own weapons?
THEy don't do everything, but they do a lot.
Old 2008-12-30, 05:13   Link #1209
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

You know, when Israel transfers its military knowhow to China, you know it's capable of doing things.

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/arti...0861402751.asp
Old 2008-12-30, 12:23   Link #1210
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
You know, when Israel transfers its military knowhow to China, you know it's capable of doing things.

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/arti...0861402751.asp
And..?

Just because Israel sell weaponry to China does not make them capable of making military weaponry that is good? It is entirely possible that they are selling useless things.. It is common business practice when it comes to the arms trade.
Old 2008-12-30, 19:06   Link #1211
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
And..?

Just because Israel sell weaponry to China does not make them capable of making military weaponry that is good? It is entirely possible that they are selling useless things.. It is common business practice when it comes to the arms trade.
Most of what they were selling to China wasn't actually Israeli, but technology the US gave to Israel when they wanted to build a domestic fighter in the 80s The main Israeli technology in that project was avionics. Israel uses their own avionics in most of their aircraft. This sale to China got Israel kicked off of the F-35 wait list for a while, but of course they eventually got back on. That could also be why the US is insisting that the Israeli F-35s use the US avionics rather than let Israel install their own like they have in the past. Though the F-35 program risks cancellation at the moment so it could all be a moot point.
Old 2008-12-30, 21:22   Link #1212
Shadow Kira01

Congo groups: 400 massacred on Xmas day

Why does this kind of thing happen? On Xmas day too..

Where is the United Nations when the world needs them?
Old 2008-12-30, 21:35   Link #1213
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Most of what they were selling to China wasn't actually Israeli, but technology the US gave to Israel when they wanted to build a domestic fighter in the 80s The main Israeli technology in that project was avionics. Israel uses their own avionics in most of their aircraft. This sale to China got Israel kicked off of the F-35 wait list for a while, but of course they eventually got back on. That could also be why the US is insisting that the Israeli F-35s use the US avionics rather than let Israel install their own like they have in the past. Though the F-35 program risks cancellation at the moment so it could all be a moot point.
So it's just a case or unwrapping and rewrapping Xmas gifts. Like I always do when I get alcohol, especially Maotai wine.
Old 2008-12-30, 22:20   Link #1214
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Congo groups: 400 massacred on Xmas day

Why does this kind of thing happen? On Xmas day too..

Where is the United Nations when the world needs them?
Even Xmas day is a everyday. Because it Xmas, the eworld won't stop spinning and pepoles killing each others.
It a sad true, but on a other hand, would it be less tragic it those 400 victims have be massacred a others day?
Old 2008-12-30, 22:21   Link #1215
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Even Xmas day is a everyday. Because it Xmas, the eworld won't stop spinning and pepoles killing each others.
It a sad true, but on a other hand, would it be less tragic it those 400 victims have be massacred a others day?
That's life. Peace is a faraway dream that mankind dreams of but will never achieve.
Old 2008-12-31, 02:51   Link #1216
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
You got a good point.

In the world of war and politics, there is no such thing as holidays. Whether it be Xmas or New Year's Day, the battle continues..
Old 2008-12-31, 05:32   Link #1217
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Tourists harass Japan's geisha
Quote:
Kyoto (Dec 30, 08): Japan's famous geisha have reportedly complained of harassment from tourists, prompting local residents to patrol the area to protect them. Geisha claim they have been pursued by visitors grabbing at their sleeves and wanting to take their photographs.

Residents and local business owners in Gion, the Kyoto district where most geisha live, have now volunteered to guard the streets to stop any trouble.

Nearly 50 million people visited Kyoto last year, more than any previous year. For many tourists, catching sight of a white-faced geisha in her beautifully embroidered kimono on the streets of Gion is one of the highlights of a trip to Japan.

But geisha are an increasingly rare sight; where once there were more than 80,000 across Japan, there are now just 1,000. Wearing their traditional silk kimonos and high wooden sandals, the geisha that remain do not welcome being pursued as they travel between teahouses carrying out their daily tasks.

- BBC NEWS
Old 2008-12-31, 11:33   Link #1218
Tiberium Wolf

I guess that's the price of just being 1k in number.
Old 2008-12-31, 13:34   Link #1219
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Great... more "gaijin being baka" news. Makes it harder for those of us who bother to actually try to be considerate of the locals when we travel.
Old 2008-12-31, 13:49   Link #1220
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It appears that the tourists have mistaken Gion as a theme park or a tourist site where the geisha and maiko walking on the streets are considered as some sort of performance. However, this belief is ridiculous to begin with. Hopefully, the local government would come up with some sort of measure when they decide to promote tourism in the area next time. There will also be patrolling from now on because the geisha and maiko will be in a troublesome position if they show up late at their respective teahouses which may upset their customers and cause trouble to both their careers and the teahouses. Inconsiderate tourists should be punished. (>_<)
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international