AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 86 38.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 65 29.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 49 22.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 4.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 4.07%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-28, 14:24   Link #41
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Spice and Wolf, you were so close to a 10 for me...but your inconclusive ending begs for a sequel, and until that happens you have to remain in the 9 rating. But I still loved you.
Old 2008-09-26, 23:38   Link #42
chief

Send a message via MSN to chief
Spice and Wolf... ahhh such a good anime, full of lots of story and character build up.... Loved it.

I say 9/10.... never given 10 outa 10...

But hell... there better be a season 2
Old 2008-10-05, 08:30   Link #43
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

7/10

The economic aspect may confuse and bore some, but I managed to follow the plot fairly well. The main selling point is the interaction between Lawrence and Horo, which provides the most humourous moments in the series. I like how they merely kept it to flirting, rather than developing it into a fullblown romance which overwhelms the greater plot of merchanting. The series is divided into two unrelated arcs, which makes the series feel even shorter. I adore the epic OP, and the ED was Engrish bliss.

I look forward to the second season.
Old 2008-10-14, 20:30   Link #44
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

9/10

It pleases me that there is a series out there that doesn't have the 'yeah, let's hook up in the series' thing, but they're still obviously in love. Horo is just pure win, and Lawrence is the stupidest, yet smartest merchant ever. And luckiest: how often does a goddess (literally) falls for you? I like how the author actually did research about the economics of the Medieval Times, but that coin stuff...I would take Horo's route and just sleep.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2008-10-15, 22:42   Link #45
Langknow

Spice and Wolf reminded me so much of Kino's Tabi.

What really made this anime a good an enjoyable anime was the interactions between Horo and Lawrence.

Horo probably the most enjoyable character, she's cute , intelligent, and I really like how Lawrence and Horo's relationship developed.

The economics part of the story was interesting, and it's refreshing to see a plot that doesn't involve fighting with swords, or magic (all the time).

So I recommend this to all who haven't watched it yet. (It will leave a good feeling your stomach)

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Old 2008-10-15, 22:52   Link #46
Langknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post

**Too bad he wasn't replaced with some good-looking-youthfull-rare-vampire-that-is-a-flower-but-is-crimson-underneath-that-tries
to-live-with-humanity-while-have-experienced-long-generations-of-tragedy-and-angst. Now that will really teach us lessons and fit into the fantasy theme along with it. Who wouldn't want a dirtily evil, attractive "hero(?)" such as Lelouch in Code Geass? (I'm going to start a fanfic :P)

(7/10 originally but my love for Horo gave the score +2 points) XDDD Alright, maybe I'm way too kind to this particular anime...
Lol, when I read this paragraph of yours, I was assuming you were talking about Edward Cullen from the New York Best Seller Novel : Twilight.

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Old 2008-10-15, 23:07   Link #47
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langknow View Post
The economics part of the story was interesting, and it's refreshing to see a plot that doesn't involve fighting with swords, or magic (all the time).
Agreed, and the setting was well researched too. I liked the music, as it suited the theme and setting of the series .

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2008-10-18, 13:21   Link #48
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

I gotta say, I didn't have high expectations given the title of the series but boy was I BLOWN AWAY! ... this is quite a masterful animation. The foreign exchange patterns and trading behaviors between merchants and business people is dead on (I am a business major and do Forex for a living so I was able to fully appreciate to all the money talk..not too complex but..simply fascinating)

Horo is definitively one of the best (if not the best) female/wolf leads I've seen in a good while, she has an awesome personality, speaks her mind, sharp, intelligent, cunning and OMG is she precious! HAIL TO THE TAIL!!!!!

Lawrence was a good character as well but too nice ... lol I am anxiously awaiting for the second season, in the mean time I'll re-watch this series which is something I don't do very often with anime series (yeah it was THAT good!)

I give it a 9 ....

PS... has anyone started a Horo fan club???
Old 2008-10-19, 02:44   Link #49
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
PS... has anyone started a Horo fan club???
You're looking at it.
Old 2008-10-19, 23:20   Link #50
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Main Characters:

Lawrence - 7/10. I agree with Horo. He's too much of a nice guy.

Horo - 10/10. A delightful character. Witty, greedy, cute and sulky. I agree with the previous posters. She's a breath of relief compared to other heroines I've seen so far. Reminds me of Arcueid. Except that I've come to like Horo better.

Music:

Tabi no Tochuu - a very beautiful and haunting song. loved it on first hearing. 10/10.

Ringo Hiyori - couldn't stand it at first, but something about it made me listen to it more. It's catchy, at least. I did and now I love it. Make sure to listen to the full song. 9/10

ambiance music in the anime - I liked the little pauses. But it wasn't outstanding. 7.5/10.

Storyline:

First arc - It was so so. 7/10.

Second arc - Intriguing. 9/10.

Overall, the first season left me wanting more. So I can't say that it satisfied me enough to warrant it a 10. I gave it a 9/10 for enjoyment.
Old 2008-10-23, 22:01   Link #51
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I still haven't rated it yet....
Old 2008-12-09, 06:19   Link #52
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

Now that I think about it.. neither have I ^_^
Old 2008-12-09, 22:07   Link #53
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

haha ^_^

last exam today
Old 2009-07-04, 18:57   Link #54
otaku_trev

I really enjoyed watching Spice and Wolf. It isn't often that I find a anime that breaks the "thats typical" barrier. I give this anime a 10. And I really think it desrves this rating because of the splendid work done not only by the voice actors but also by the wonderful job the creators of the show did with such low budget.

They kept the story very interesting and the dialogue between Horo and Lawrence is to date the best that I have ever seen in an anime. There were many enjoyable scenes that I just have to watch over and over.

I am in love with Horo! She is my favorite female anime character, and I love her clever speech and her very wise demeanor. She breaks the moe barrier, which I felt really added a lot to the show, while at the same time was also a big risk to the creators of the show, due to the popularity of moe female leads. Horo's character is combined with Lawrence's makes for the most mature relationship I've ever seen in anime. The love story between the two is very interesting and it will be interesting to see if the two will finally be able to be together as more than just traveling companions. Lawrence is also another big surprise for me in the series. He is, like Horo, not your typical male main character. He is smart, clever and has no fighting skills what-so-ever. He isn't a warrior, doesn't know martial arts, or magic. He's a merchant. Even Horo in the anime was surprised that Lawrence didn't come running to save her with weapon drawn. He instead uses his best asset: his experience as a merchant. He is a gentleman and he is a character I really enjoyed watching in the show.

The music....ah yes the music. I watch the beginning and ending every time I watch an episode. And that is rare for me to do in an anime. The only other anime I will do that for is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 1. The first time I heard the ending song I was like "huh?!" but then it started to grow on me, because of it's uniqueness. The opening song is very good and the person who sings it deserves an award.

Animation quality was so-so, and wasn't the best I've ever seen, but it wasn't the worst either. For me, the animation isn't terribly essential to the anime being on my great list. The Story is what matters most. The animation sytle just makes it more enjoyable to watch.

I would highly recommend this series to anyone!
Hail the Tail!
Old 2010-09-13, 15:04   Link #55
Akka

I just spent a delicious moment watching this serie. It just drips of good taste, intelligent-but-not-pretentious setting and script, delightful banter and the highest concentrated dose of kawai and moe I ever saw in an anime - K-on should take some lessons, because THAT is how you make character adorable without making them tasting like saccharine.

The story is quite original (it's more about trade than magic, despite the premices), flows naturally and is logical. The characters are downright loveable, and their discussions are the big highlight. The setting is rather generic, but that's not particularly a problem.
The only bad points are the quite low production value (the animation is fugly and the drawing is not that good), and Lawrence being a bit too nice to the people who try to kill hime. Ok, and the ending song, though it can be seen as "so bad it's funny", but anyway you can just skip it (which is what I did after I heard about three seconds of atrociously maimed engrish).

There is nothing that is ground-breaking in the serie (though it's definitely quite original), but it's pleasantly humble and it's simply a true pleasure to follow the adventures and back-and-forth banters of the cast. And to spent half the episodes going "Aaaawwwww they are so cute !".
Definitely a winner

Last edited by Akka; 2010-09-13 at 16:51.
Old 2010-09-13, 15:24   Link #56
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

While I agree with your commentary on Holo, I must disagree on your assessment of the animation. On the whole, the second season is not as well drawn as the first (different staff in part). But, the backgrounds and vistas are beautiful... and of course Holo... well... her looks are flawless.

As for Lawrence being "too nice", that does carry over from the LNs... he is quite atypical for a merchant of his day and note is made of that, but when he does show his fangs... look out. I guess I like his character a lot also because it is easy for me to relate to him.

But, I am glad you were able to find a lot of what you did like about it.

Now that this thread is resurrected, maybe other people (new and old) will comment on it if they feel the need.
Old 2010-09-13, 17:05   Link #57
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Now that this thread is resurrected, maybe other people (new and old) will comment on it if they feel the need.
I may as well, I havn't conversed in here in a long time (strange since it's one of my favorite series).
e

I've always been a sucker for character driven shows so this was an automatic turn on for me. The characters are some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of seeing interact in any show, and Lawrence and Holo are both very fun to watch and have a certain old fashioned quality to their characters that I rather like. These characters both have such realism to them it is striking.

Now art wise most seemed to complain, but I found it rather charming and it had it's own flare (even though you could tell the budget was low). It looks fine for what it is and at the very least the backgrounds are amazing.

What else to say other than it has amazing music; the second season OP may be my favorite anime OP.

All ends of this show intrigue me and I've come to place this show as being of my favorite series (animated or not).
Old 2010-09-13, 17:11   Link #58
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

What can I say, my own opinions on the property in general are fairly well documented

PS Rajura I do still look at the artbook for a 'top up' sometimes haha
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2010-09-14, 07:46   Link #59
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
On the whole, the second season is not as well drawn as the first (different staff in part). But, the backgrounds and vistas are beautiful... and of course Holo... well... her looks are flawless.
Well, actually I found the second season much better drawn and animated than the first. It seemed to me that the budget was superior (or the team more competent). I found a lot less irregularities and the drawing was much more clear-cut. Maybe just a question of style and preferences.

And God, the author is a master at making endearing female character. Every girl in the sery is just plainly adorable.
Old 2010-09-14, 09:17   Link #60
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Well, actually I found the second season much better drawn and animated than the first. It seemed to me that the budget was superior (or the team more competent). I found a lot less irregularities and the drawing was much more clear-cut. Maybe just a question of style and preferences.
Both studios did a respectable job, but Studio Bihou who did the background art in both seasons probably deserves the most credit.

I feel Imagin's character designs in season one had a more unique feel that the second season kinda lost (it's not as distinctive). Imagin's lines weren't as sharp, but the characters were more animated. Maybe that's why people noticed it going off-model more often - I noticed both going off-model from time to time, mostly bodies (especially horses) in season one and faces in season two.

Brains Base seemed to cut as many corners as they could production-wise, but that's ok. They were more in line with modern animation and character design trends in anime, but the character models weren't very dynamic or animated - hair, for instance, looked the same throughout even in the rain, and barely moved at all. I also don't remember them being very creative with the storyboard or camera angles, being too often reduced to less interesting close-ups of talking faces. But they made up for that by having more insert shots of background art during conversations.

So it's entirely down to personal preference, I'd say, except for the often-impressive background art. Both Imagin and Brains Base did a good job overall, and I can't rank one over the other because this isn't a series I judge by it's animation quality. I'm actually happy they focused more on screenplay writing and voice acting.. it really made a noticeable difference, and if they hadn't then both seasons would be a mess that no one could understand (especially season two).
Closed Thread