AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana III (Final) - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 37 32.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 14.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 21.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 16.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 13.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.88%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-08, 00:12   Link #41
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Better to just make a thread for speculations for 1st time anime viewers instead of posting them here.
Base on my experience, adaptations rarely use their speculation threads...
Old 2011-10-08, 00:19   Link #42
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
*snip*
Well, guess what? I rewatched the Sabrac and the Statue of Pride arcs just before watching the Third Season and did not see anything wrong with how they handled the first episode.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-10-08, 00:24   Link #43
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Well, guess what? I rewatched the Sabrac and the Statue of Pride arcs just before watching the Third Season and did not see anything wrong with how they handled the first episode.
It's all good and all to you know, have a differing opinion than I have... But presenting an opinion without anything to back up your claim is a bit pointless.

So OK! You disagree! Omg!

Wait, opinions should be backed up by stuff to make them hold any weight? Woah!!!
Old 2011-10-08, 00:44   Link #44
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
So, I'm just going to ask:
Since it looks like JC Staff is ignoring what transpired in the second season...I can just skip to this, right? Or, is there anything from the previous anime that I should watch?

EDIT: Alright then. Thanks.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-10-08, 00:45   Link #45
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Since it looks like JC Staff is ignoring what transpired in the second season...I can just skip to this, right? Or, is there anything from the previous anime that I should watch?
Watch some of the middle arcs, and uh, skim the ending and you're good.
Old 2011-10-08, 00:47   Link #46
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Season 2 has a fair amount of episodes that contain novel material that you might want to look (for example, the battle with Sabrac). I also think that J.C. Staff did a fair job in getting rid of everything Anime Original from season 2 with destroying the Statue of Pride. While getting rid of Silver (???) as well as the Hecate clone. Things seem perfectly set in my view, unless I'm missing something?
Old 2011-10-08, 00:54   Link #47
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The Silver was not destroyed. One of the pair of flames that contacted Yuji has the color silver in it.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2011-10-08, 00:58   Link #48
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Ah, so that explains why I saw a piece of silver around the Reiji Maigo (now I forgot how to spell it )
Old 2011-10-08, 01:06   Link #49
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Let me try to convey, in as clear a manner as possible, why some of us find the transition from the end of Season 2 to the start of Season 3 jarring...

End of Shana Season 2

Sakai Yuji (looks lovingly at Shana): I just kicked Bal Masque's collective asses with the help of my hot girlfriend in the ultimate romantic coming together. What a rocking Christmas Eve! Time to celebrate!

Start of Shana Season 3 (i.e. right after the end of Shana 2, in-anime canon)

Sakai Yuji: Time for me to go Aizen-style! I'm going to enjoy leading Bal Masque from my badass throne! Forget Shana, I'm enjoying this power trip. Boo Yah!

Basically, it would have been nice to get at least some inkling for what's causing Yuji's apparent and drastic change of heart.
Old 2011-10-08, 01:08   Link #50
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post

EDIT: Alright then. Thanks.
You never even watched the 2nd season and somehow you think that it is ignoring it...?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2011-10-08, 01:16   Link #51
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
You never even watched the 2nd season and somehow you think that it is ignoring it...?
From what I'm understanding it basically looks like there's no sense of continuity between the two seasons. Of course, other 2nd series that started off like this usually come up with an explanation after no more than a few episodes so there's hope for this yet.

However, unless I hear word about said changes being justified, I'm probably going to cherry pick stuff from the second season before heading into this.

Now, I don't want to derail the thread any more than I already might have, so I'll leave this alone. Thanks to everyone for the answers, but I'll hold off and stake out the reactions for now.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-10-08, 01:19   Link #52
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Shana is hot.

This episode was not.

So we find out Yuji's decison. For once and for all, we could place this romantic resolution to the end without any cockblock.

And so Yuji decides.... on getting a new douchey hairstyle! What? *Sigh* I'll be honest; I hate his new look. It makes me want to slap him.

So we find out that poor Yuji has vanished, but they believe he is still there, so it goes on with the series theme of remembering those that have departed. Sadly, I still can't take Kazumi seriously, so it just kinda falls flat.

Then stuff just keeps happening, and there's lots of exposition. But I'm just gaining so little from this and am like how did we end up here? I just feel left out.

OP was incredibly meh, very disappointing, because I've loved every Shana OP/ED to date.

It gets a 6/10. I really don't know where this is going, how we got here, and have a lack of concern. On the other hand, I love seeing Wilhelmina and Margery Daw, so I can't ditch the show, if just for their sake.

Also, when Keiskau smiles, a kitten dies.

Shana's new outfit at the start of the episode was great. Looking good as always. I'll have to stick around to see what comes of this.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-08, 01:21   Link #53
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Of course, other 2nd series that started off like this usually come up with an explanation after no more than a few episodes so there's hope for this yet.
Not to mention the last episode of the Second Season (let's exclude Shana S for now) was first released three years ago.

Old 2011-10-08, 01:34   Link #54
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Ok, this is the most I can come up with explanations. It's supposed to leave everyone in the dark on the whole purpose of why Yuji has the new look, and why Yuji suddenly turned to Bal Masque. Remember the very beginning with Yuji and Shana about to throw-down before the opening? He said that he would "Change her fate" that in itself is a very important quote in my personal opinion to think over.

Why was he talking inside the Reiji Maigo with this anonymous figure in the first place about what he can do to be helpful? Why has Sakai Yuji completely disappeared from everyone's memories besides those in the Flame Haze business, but not the letters? Why does Alastor sound like he has a new voice actor?

These questions should be the main core of concern before any bashing should commence. The anime original that brought down season 2 for everyone has already passed away, they dealt with the Statue of Pride. Hecate now experienced what being human is like and the clone is gone now. Silver still remains a mystery to people at the moment, and there must be a reason why Bal Masque would ally themselves with Yuji when they just got bat-handed by him in the first place.

For now it's just question-time and pondering before more episodes release which reveals more into the plot. Where I can give more in-depth explanation on situations after it passes checkpoints.
Old 2011-10-08, 01:42   Link #55
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

My only question is: WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?

1. Yuji has disappeared, and most people outside of the main characters have forgotten him.
2. He's got a douchy new look and is apparently leading the bad guys now, and..
3. Not even most of the main characters know whats going on.

So... Yuji has become Kurt Angle from the WCW/ECW invasion. And Hecate is bowing before him too, but maybe she just wants to get in his pants some more. Somehow, unless we start getting some more explanation for this, and we get more Shana and Wilhelmina epic ass-kickings, this season of Shana is shaping up to be disappointing, and its only been one episode.
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
Old 2011-10-08, 01:48   Link #56
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Okay, first off: I haven't watched the episode yet, waiting for the subs (well, waiting to find out who's going to bother doing the subs).

That said, I'm seeing that so far... a number of the reviews are negative, and for completely stupid reasons. So you don't know what's going on right away, and thus, you call the episode and, in some people's cases, the season an utter disappointment.

Whatever happened to waiting to find out what's going on? Whatever happened to the good old days where people gave something a chance? A lot of you I'm going to end up as writing off as fans of the new trend of bashing everything the moment they get the chance.

Remember: A story that spoon feeds you every detail as soon as possible is not a good story. It doesn't give you the chance to witness some intrigue or mystery--give it a chance to build up some steam before you write the whole thing off as a failure. If you have to be spoon-fed every little detail just so you won't feel disappointed, then I implore you to go elsewhere and find far more simpler shows to watch.

As it stands, it looks like I'm going to be scarce with my postings for this series--I'm not disappointed with Shana. But right now, Shana's fans are shaping up to leave something desired. By all means, prove me wrong for once.
Old 2011-10-08, 01:49   Link #57
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Okay, first off: I haven't watched the episode yet, waiting for the subs (well, waiting to find out who's going to bother doing the subs).
Subs are already out though.

Quote:
That said, I'm seeing that so far... a number of the reviews are negative, and for completely stupid reasons. So you don't know what's going on right away, and thus, you call the episode and, in some people's cases, the season an utter disappointment.

Whatever happened to waiting to find out what's going on? Whatever happened to the good old days where people gave something a chance? A lot of you I'm going to end up as writing off as fans of the new trend of bashing everything the moment they get the chance.

Remember: A story that spoon feeds you every detail as soon as possible is not a good story. It doesn't give you the chance to witness some intrigue or mystery--give it a chance to build up some steam before you write the whole thing off as a failure. If you have to be spoon-fed every little detail just so you won't feel disappointed, then I implore you to go elsewhere and find far more simpler shows to watch.
Thank you Rising Dragon But it's sorta hard to convince people who get a first shot at this and go "Whats with this sudden transition!!". From a good guy like Yuji who acts like Touma in terms of kindness, suddenly pulling an "Aizen" on them.

Last edited by Hooves; 2011-10-08 at 02:41.
Old 2011-10-08, 01:51   Link #58
AdamEndless9
Straight-Edge Dragon Hero

I voted 10 because I really liked this episode. It's great to see Shana again after a long time waiting for season 3! The OP and ED are awesome, I also liked each character's scenes. So to me, this was a great start! I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with the story in the next episode.
Old 2011-10-08, 01:53   Link #59
MegamiMiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
[*]Yuiji disappears for some reason with a complete and utter lack of foreshadowing.
They showed the scene of the footprints disappearing at the very end of season 2, that seems like foreshadowing to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Basically, it would have been nice to get at least some inkling for what's causing Yuji's apparent and drastic change of heart.
To be fair, there were some hints. Like Hooves said, we have what Yuji said to Shana in the beginning as well as his talks with the voice inside the Reiji Maigo. I'm sure more will be explained as things progress, but they did give us a place to start.
Old 2011-10-08, 01:58   Link #60
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's like Gundam. Rarely you get to see the Gundam go all out in the first episode. You have to wait a little bit before things really get going.