AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-26, 06:24   Link #1061
Kirarakim

Glad the flashback is over. I didn't necessarily dislike it but it was on the predictable side.

It also didnt explain how Vince grew up to be so insufferable.
Old 2013-05-26, 11:55   Link #1062
Gravitas Free Zone

People can have odd epiphanies, I suppose. I can construct a mental path for Vince to go from seeing his dead friend and deciding that there's no time to waste to how he is now, it just leaves some peculiar gaps along the way.

Would early Vince be immediately set to "don't waste time?" enough to immediately leave town by enlisting in the Air Force? He would need a sponsor to get into the Academy normally. Then to become a pilot he would have to swing through Officer Training School. I can see the whole "don't waste time" mentality brewing quietly in his early years, but it would be beat right out of him if he enlisted carrying that attitude so obviously. Once he gets a commission there's more room to be his particular odd way without it having negative effects on him, as long as he didn't *too* egregiously endanger anyone's life and limb with his antics.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 12:33   Link #1063
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
It also didnt explain how Vince grew up to be so insufferable.
He probably roomed with Pico in college. Four years living in a room full of dried boogers and flatulence drove him over the edge.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 15:32   Link #1064
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Once he gets a commission there's more room to be his particular odd way without it having negative effects on him, as long as he didn't *too* egregiously endanger anyone's life and limb with his antics.
What the fuck are you talking about?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 15:59   Link #1065
Gravitas Free Zone

Just speculating into the large gap we've got in Vincent's past. I don't recall it being mentioned that he was ever actually a pilot, but his testing of people with his driving brings to mind that Air Force pilots, who are officers, can get away with a lot of things... as long as they don't die.

While Vincent may be confident enough in his own abilities, the driving stunt is still putting unusual risks on himself, limited-supply astronaut candidates, and random other drivers.

And anyway, again, the last couple of episodes explained an incident in Vincent and Pico's past, but was not as directly relevant to their current situation as previous character flashback episodes have been. Alternatively, it was done for the October Sky reference without entirely fitting it to the characters.
Old 2013-06-01, 10:36   Link #1066
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for 60:
Old 2013-06-01, 12:08   Link #1067
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Somehow I knew it would be him as soon as he asked to speak to Mutta.

Nice to see the story moving forward again. It did get a bit preachy about engineers in the middle, but this show has always had a didactic aspect when it comes to space travel.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 13:03   Link #1068
Utsuro no Hako

That hotel really needs to clean out its lost and found. I don't think Lego's made minifigs like that since the '80s.
Old 2013-06-01, 13:28   Link #1069
Gravitas Free Zone

I still have a few intact red-suited Lego minifig astronauts with that helmet... plastic doesn't die easily.

The Lego astronaut was rendered faithfully enough that I was expecting it to be censored for trademark somehow.

So their rover likely would have made it to the goal if the mud wasn't there, plus having to add silicone to the tires, which increased the weight even more. I'm wondering how well that would really work.

Anyway, nice to have the story moving again.
Old 2013-06-01, 13:41   Link #1070
ookamigirl

Wet problems for the Mutta team.
They sure spent a lot of time panicking.
Looking at other teams failures, team E seems the smartest.
With all the problems they experienced, they did rather well.
This anime is getting pretty stretched.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 15:29   Link #1071
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have a couple of Harry Potters and some other iconic Lego figures from my daughter's sets. Those were from the late 1990s and early 2000s. Here's what a current Lego astronaut looks like. He's got a white spacesuit and a big helment. The Shuttle crew wear similar outfits.
Old 2013-06-01, 21:07   Link #1072
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Somehow I knew it would be him as soon as he asked to speak to Mutta.
Same here. I like that we haven't totally lost focus on him as a character.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 11:30   Link #1073
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Nice to see this show back on track with a well-paced episode full of touching moments.

Spoiler for Olivia:
Old 2013-06-08, 11:42   Link #1074
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 03:43   Link #1075
cyth
Banned

I'm just glad they didn't stretch out Hibito's reentry to the next episode.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 07:07   Link #1076
Tenzen12

But man... Even though it's just Routine, it was scary like hell.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 09:19   Link #1077
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I'm just glad they didn't stretch out Hibito's reentry to the next episode.
Me, too. I was afraid we wouldn't see the parachutes released until next week. That's one reason why I thought this episode was refreshingly well-paced.
Old 2013-06-09, 10:08   Link #1078
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Yay! The Nanbas are back! Mama and Papa always crack me up.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-06-15, 09:41   Link #1079
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I wondered where Ellington Field was located since the two main commercial airports in Houston are Bush and Hobby. Turns out that Ellington was established in 1917 as a training site for American airmen fighting in World War I. Being that old, it was not named after famous jazz composer and orchestra leader Duke Ellington, but after an Army pilot who had died in a crash a few years before.

Ellington is in fact where NASA houses its training craft. You'll notice in the Japanese track that Mutta refers to it as "Ellington Field" rather than "Ellington Airport," which is the name assigned to the commercial part of the airfield. Last year Houston's aviation director proposed constructing a "spaceport" at Ellington to support low-earth orbital flights that would supply the ISS and future space stations.

The business with Amanti's prediction annoyed me, not only for the repeated characterization of her as the mystical Indian, but as a dramatic device as well.

Spoiler for prediction:

Do you think they will still be flying T-38s another two decades from now? It is certainly possible given that they have already been in service for fifty years!

Serika's reaction to the phone call was hilariously cute.
Old 2013-06-15, 10:06   Link #1080
Utsuro no Hako

I don't know which is worse -- the mystical Indian plotline, the fact that Mutta takes it seriously, or that we as the audience are supposed to take it seriously.

Poor Sharon, done in by a hackneyed plot contrivance. Still, for a few minutes in the middle of the episode, I was afraid Apo would be the one to get sick -- sorry Sharon, but as much as I'd hate to see you go, better you than the dog.

Tags
science fiction, seinen