AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-18, 19:27   Link #441
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Um, my apologies to any who might be reading this, but midgets?
lol, I was thinking that people with loud voices might be naturally gifted, but midgets might work as well.

Now that you have brought up the subject, I want midget bobsledding, midget diving, and midget races. True a few events would still be out of reach, but we could easily have a well intended (non-hurtful/non-discriminatory) midget Olympics. I really want to know who the fastest midget on Earth is...

Last edited by james0246; 2008-08-18 at 19:37.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 19:50   Link #442
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Normal Olympics, Paralympics and Midget Olympics?
Old 2008-08-18, 20:10   Link #443
james0246

Quote:
Normal Olympics, Paralympics and Midget Olympics?

I don’t see why not. I actually do watch the Senior Citizens Olympics, the Special Olympics, and the "Normal" (if you can consider some of these athletes as being 'normal') Olympics. While I certainly have a preference between the various Olympics that does not mean that I do not encourage the spread and participation of the various athletes as well as an overall support for the various games and events. So, a Dwarf Olympics could be very interesting.
Old 2008-08-18, 22:29   Link #444
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
All I have to say is wtf at the uneven bars tie break rule.
Old 2008-08-18, 22:38   Link #445
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

I was otherwise occupied at the time so I missed that, anyone care to enlighten me on the tiebreak rule?

Edit: Well I did some searching and losing a gold medal based on a complicated breakdown of averages relating to points awarded for execution must be a terrible feeling.
Old 2008-08-18, 22:43   Link #446
james0246

Quote:
I was otherwise occupied at the time so I missed that, anyone care to enlighten me on the tiebreak rule?
If the score is tied, then the individual judges scores are studied, and the judges will take away the highest and lowest score. Then, if the scores are still tied (which they were in this case) the lowest score is taken away. After the lowest score is taken away, the individual with the largest amount of high scores is considered the winner. Nastia Liukin had one less high score, so she lost the Gold...I think. It is a little confusing.

I am with Bela, let them share the Gold.
Old 2008-08-18, 22:43   Link #447
Sokar

When the scores are tied, the one with the higher technical/execution score wins.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 22:48   Link #448
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
If the score is tied, then the individual judges scores are studied, and the judges will take away the highest and lowest score. Then, if the scores are still tied (which they were in this case) the lowest score is taken away. After the lowest score is taken away, the individual with the largest amount of high scores is considered the winner. Nastia Liukin had one less high score, so she lost the Gold...I think. It is a little confusing.

I am with Bela, let them share the Gold.
Yeah, it just seems rather silly when every other event shares medals. Would like see them get rid of the tiebreak and the 16 years old rule, but yeah...
Old 2008-08-18, 22:49   Link #449
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

So the He had a lower lowest score than Liukin but more big scores so that the total worked out to be the same, and upon removing the lowest score He had more?

I think...

Doesn't that mean Liukin lost the gold based on more even judging than He?

I gotta be getting this wrong somehow, that just seems bad.
Old 2008-08-18, 22:53   Link #450
Xellos
There will be no miracle

They tossed out the lowest and highest scores from the 6 judges for their execution score. Since it was tied, they tossed out the lowest execution score and whoever had the most highest scores won. Basically after tossing out the scores, He had 2 9.1s and Nastia had 1 9.1.
Old 2008-08-18, 22:58   Link #451
james0246

Quote:
So the He had a lower lowest score than Liukin but more big scores so that the total worked out to be the same, and upon removing the lowest score He had more?

I think...

Doesn't that mean Liukin lost the gold based on more even judging than He?
That is more or less correct. The majority of Lukin's scores were 9.0, while He had a greater range in her scores (from 8.8 - 9.3) with a greater number of 9.1 scores. It literally came down to three scores, a 9.1 and two 9.0s for Lukin, and two 9.1s and a 9.0 for He. So, He won the tie-breaker.

edit: Xellos got to your question before I could.

I am actually fine with He getting the Gold. This was all in the rules, and is part of the game. I was more upset by last nights blantant failure of judging at the Women's Vault.
Old 2008-08-18, 23:00   Link #452
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

While I love watching sports like Gymnastics and Diving etc, I hate non empirical measured events.

Things like this can just make them feel 'dirty' somehow.
Old 2008-08-18, 23:00   Link #453
Sokar

Here's a webpage that explains the process: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/oly...l?hpid=topnews
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 23:05   Link #454
Cox
BEETLEJUICE!

and basically the person that screwed it for Liukin was the unexperienced judge from Aussy land.. I think. Basically the top judges cant judge when competitors from there country are in the finals. So the Judges from US, Romania, Russia, China, etc couldnt be there in that final.
Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 23:08   Link #455
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
Here's a webpage that explains the process: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/oly...l?hpid=topnews
Well thankyou, pictures are good! Rep inc to the three of you who helped me.
Old 2008-08-19, 01:34   Link #456
Hage-bai
Banned

These kiddie subjective sports are ridiculous. The IOC is a joke. Lets revamp a scoring system and make it worse than it was before....good job.

To make it worse, those useless buffoons would rather kill softball and baseball then address these issues in all their subjective scoring sports.
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 01:48   Link #457
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So I read an article in the newspaper today that basically said the same thing about Phelps as some people talked about last night. Basically it's fair enough to call him the greatest Olympic swimmer of all time, but not the greatest Olympian of all time because swimming has more events and thus more medals to win. The article also made special mention of Carl Lewis who won his medals across a couple of event types that demanded very different skills and talents from the competitors. Despite this apparently NBC is trying to start a story for more ratings about how he is apparently the greatest Olympian ever.

Then again this is the same network that apparently also failed to show the Usain Bolt World Record. If what Cloak and Dagger says is true then I'm once again grateful that I have CBC's coverage with the legendary Ron Maclean keeping tabs on the events. Still that's just sad. I imagine it going a little something like this:

NBC Executive 1: "Guys, this could be the greatest 100m event the world has ever seen! We should definitely cover it "

NBC Executive 2: "No way. The run has no American, it'll never fly with the people."

NBC Executive 1: "But this Bolt guy, they say he could break the World Record!"

NBC Executive 3: "You just don't get it do you."

NBC Executive 4:

Network President: "Then we are in agreement gentleman. Cut to a story about what Michael Phelps ate for breakfast this morning and make sure to get the box in full view. We're going to earn that advertising deal if it kills us! "

NBC Executive 3: "Don't forget to get a shot of his mom!"
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 02:17   Link #458
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

NBC has shown over and over and over that it just doesn't *get* it when it comes to covering the olympics. I think that's pretty much a given.
Old 2008-08-19, 02:35   Link #459
Ermes Marana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

NBC Executive 2: "No way. The run has no American, it'll never fly with the people."

The bronze medal in that race was won by an American.

Personally I think NBC has by far the best coverage in the world for the olympics, as long as you have cable.

They have at least 5 channels (NBC, USA, CNBC, MSNBC, Oxygen) with olympic coverage.

No single channel can compete with that.

I'm currently watching a table tennis match between an Indian player and a Spanish player on the USA network.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 03:01   Link #460
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
NBC has shown over and over and over that it just doesn't *get* it when it comes to covering the olympics. I think that's pretty much a given.
Trust me: NBC isn't all that bad. CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) has the worst broadcast of the Games, ever.

I woke up at 5am to watch the opening ceremony, and I get crappy commenting. They obviously did no research whatsoever, and started talking about political issues within China while the opening ceremony was going on. Talk about being disrespectful!

Also, in the Parade of Nations, they ignored all the little countries and made us listen to the many variations of Canadian athletes saying, "Hey mom! I'm in the Olympics!"

*sigh*

/end rant

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics