Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-06-29, 10:08   Link #1
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Good series from this year/past year?

So....I finished Crime Edge and Maou-sama, my two favorite shows this season.........and now I am sad. So I would love for a few of you to state what your best current or recent series are/were this year....so I can start some new ones.

I like cutesy shows and I like romance (A LOT) and comedy...but I also like dramatic, dark angsty stuff as well. (if all that is combined, fantastic!) Fanservice isn't a big problem (but it can't carry the series alone) Pretty artwork is a big plus. I tend to shy away from sci-fi themes or mech...because it's really hard for me to follow what is going on. (I'm just very stupid when it comes to that stuff
Anything with a rape scene is a no. Though I guess I can fast-forward it if it's not crucial to the plot.

I particularly get attached to character-driven shows-a good plot is only a bonus.

Anime I already watched/following/plan to try:

InuxBoku SS (excited for this!)
Red Data Girl
Tonari No Kaibutsu-kun
Yahari Ore No Seishun (Romantic Youth Comedy)
Oreimo
Little Busters!
Amnesia (it failed.
AKB0048 Second Stage
Sword Art Online
Chihayafuru

Thanks. :3
Old 2013-06-29, 11:18   Link #2
Bern-san

- Kamisama Hajimemashita
- Hiiro no Kakera (although the first season is a bit boring I liked the romance in the second one, surprising since it's an otome adaptation)
- Zetsuen no Tempest (the romance part is more prominent on the second half and it has angst and drama with bits of comedy)
- Sukitte ii na yo (although the manga is way better the anime isn't bad)
- Uta no Prince-sama (has a lot of comedy and it's reverse-harem)
- Tsuritama (the only romance is seen with two secondary characters but the anime is one of my favs from last year)
- Hyouka (KyoAni anime with stunning visuals, not sure if you can consider it romance but give it a try)

Inu x Boku SS is totally recommended even if they adapted so little of the manga. You could check out her previous mangas, especially "dear" (which is the sequel of her other 2-volume manga Watashi no Ookami-san).

Last edited by Bern-san; 2013-06-29 at 11:33. Reason: realized you watched Maou-sama
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 14:09   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 17:16   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I second Kamisama Hajimemashita and strongly urge you to watch Chihayafuru if it's still in your "plan to try" category.

Along with tsuritama, which I also recommend, you also might try the show it was paired with on noitaminA, Sakamichi no Apollon.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 17:23   Link #5
Dawnstorm

Hi, part one of my post is commenting on what you've seen, so you can gauge my taste.

Crime Edge: My favourite show this year (with one possible exception, see below). Love just about everything about it.

Hataraku Maou-sama: Great when in comes to the slice-of-life comedy and still good when it comes to the plot. Very funny. Among my favourites this season.

InuxBoku SS: I think you'll like this. Not all episodes are great, but the characters are likable. Watch out for Roromiya/Watanuki. They're adorable together.

Red Data Girl: When it's good it's very good, but it sort-of lacks... something. I liked it, but couldn't shake the feeling of wasted potential.

Tonari No Kaibutsu-kun: One of my favourites of last year; very strong on the character front.

Yahari Ore No Seishun (Romantic Youth Comedy): Very uneven in the beginning; better in the second half. That may be because the show is pretty subtle and I missed stuff early on. It's possible that the show gets better on re-watching. Some of the episodes are very strong (I loved the camp-arc, for example.)

Oreimo: Kuroneko makes the show for me. First season's better than the second one.

Little Busters! - Liked it. I thought it wasn't very good with the darker aspects, either overdoing the drama or not capturing the despair. The show's strength I think is the portrayal of friendship. It's very good at that.

Amnesia: Awful. A one-note protagonist who annoyed me more and more. And. That. Creepy. I don't even... No. Sorry. If you've seen it you know.

AKB0048 Second Stage: Good fun. Funghi episode is my favourite.

Sword Art Online: I think Alfheim Online should be abbreviated, AHO. The show was decently entertaining, but nothing too special for me. (Your avatar disagrees.)

Chihayafuru: I loved the first season and still liked the second, but there were diminishing returns. Still, at it's best it's excellent and worth sitting through any number of lesser episodes.

Now, for my recommendations:

Nazo no Kanojo X: Share emotions by sharing saliva. Great visuals and music.

Sakamichi no Appollon: Jazz in sixties Japan. Good moodpiece; wonderful characters.

Kotoura San: Fun romp through mind-reading clichés. The first episode's the best, some of the comedy gets repetitive, and sometimes it's downright silly. But the show simply has charm.

Sankarea: Very strong in the beginning, until it turns into a another fanservice show (though still one of the better ones). Definitely worth a look.

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia: Ghost love story. Very atmospheric.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: A postapocalyptic pastoral with faeries. Hard to describe.

Shinsekai Yori: A dystopia, but the alternative is arguably worse. Very imaginative.

Last edited by Dawnstorm; 2013-06-29 at 17:41.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 04:19   Link #6
Tenzen12

I will put MAL ratings in braces

Moretsu Pirates: I am not into unevenly big female cast if it isn't romance but this was decent sci-fi. (7,3/10)

Acchi Kocchi: Incredible cute and funny show (7,76)

Uchuu Kyoudai: ongoing Slice-of-life about astronautics. Incredible stuff (8,28)

Daily life of High school boys: One of most crazy comedies I know, any teenage guy should unconditonaly watch it (8,33)

Kokoro Connect: What happen if supernatural entity start mess with group of friends. Great drama, romance and comedy (exactly as you like) with awesome cast. One of my personal top 10 (8,08)

Jormungand: Pesonaly didn't finished but I will one day, overaly people like it (8,00)

Jinrui wa suitai shimashita: Great satiric show, a bit creepy a bit mindscrewing and LOT of great fun. (8,01)

Sakurasou no pet na kanojo: with Kokoro connect and Oregairu best romances of this and last year. (8,38)

Kotoura: After excelent start but it goes down, but nothing is perfect and it fits both cutesy and drama (7,45)

I guess that's it. From currently airing there are Gargantia, Majestic prince, Maou-sama, Oregairu/Snafu worthy of mentioning.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-06-30 at 05:19.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 04:57   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Highly second Sakurasou no pet na kanojo it has beautiful art and it is really good drama, comedy, and romance.

As well Tonari No Kaibutsu-kun wasn't quite as good as Sakurasou but was very enjoyable with great characters.

Quote:
I like cutesy shows and I like romance (A LOT) and comedy...but I also like dramatic, dark angsty stuff as well. (if all that is combined, fantastic!)
In that case, I'll also suggest Shin Sekai Yori (it's dark dystopia series for the most part, but does have romance element to it) was in top 3 series for last year with me up with Sakurasou. (Oh just noticed someone else suggested it too )
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote