AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-07-10, 04:15   Link #81
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's a generic light novel in every sense of the word; it's just that the main heroine is a chuunibyou character. Think Kuroneko from OreImo or Rintarou from Steins;Gate.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 04:38   Link #82
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Well from the summary and your description of the character i would say this is oreshura 1.5.
Old 2012-07-10, 20:26   Link #83
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

From the official anime homepage Heres what series writer Jukki Hanada has to say about the anime, in which you can kind of see how Chuunibyou people talk:

Quote:
What's this?! I've been noticed? It seems you're an ability user too...
As for me, you already know who I am don't you? Yes, I am The Dark Scribe("Schwarz Schreiben"), Hanada Jukki.

I am the architect of this epic tale.
As to the meaning of that...kukuku...you already know, don't you?
This bothersome wind? This foreboding atmosphere? Yes...they all point towards the inevitable...
Commoners! From here onwards immediately, pay attention! All of it! Perceive it!
Be surprised! Be Angry! Laughing! Then you will cryyyy!
What? My Ri-Right hand? Could this be the compelling powers of the "Devil Eye of Truth"?!
Noo! What did I just sayyyy!!
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 20:41   Link #84
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
From the official anime homepage Heres what series writer Jukki Hanada has to say about the anime, in which you can kind of see how Chuunibyou people talk:
Here's a translation of the others. I translated it before going back to sleep and gave it a once-over, so it's not bad, but not my best work either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishihara
When I was a middle schooler, the phrase "chuunibyou" (8th grade sickness) wasn't around. At the same time, those same feelings were felt amongst us.

When I recall my own middle school experience.... ha, all I can do is laugh at myself. I didn't personally write this story, but it feels like something I would tell.

Of course, when you reach "middle age," things like chuunibyou become a bit trite. It's what happens to you when you're in puberty.

If I were to handle this work seriously, it would become a dark tale. However, this story isn't like that, so I tried to make it comedical.

I thought I had said "good-bye" to that middle schooler me, but I'm having to say "hello" once more. I think I can paint that radiant lifestyle again in the present day.
"Story" and "Character Bios":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story
After many many years, the Dark Ages have finally ended. Yuuta looked forward to having peaceful days ahead of him. But one day, his right arm began to act strangely. The Dark Flame Dragon that was sealed inside began to thrash around. The only explanation: it was resonating with the Devilish Truth Stare.

"The contract binding you to me is complete."

Yuuta came into contact with a girl. It was her Devilish Truth Stare that resonated with everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character Bios
Yuuta Togashi:
The Dark Flame Master. Before resonating, he sealed the Dark Flame Dragon within him. He has been forced into a contract with the user of the Devilish Truth Stare, Rikka Takanashi.

Rikka Takanashi:
The user of the Devilish Truth Stare. After many years had passed, she is finally reunited with the Dark Flame Master.
I translate 邪王真眼 as "Devilish Truth Stare" to give it a better flow in English, so that's the reason why ours differ.

Spoiler:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 21:03   Link #85
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
"Story" and "Character Bios":
I have a feeling a lot of people on the Western side of the anime fandom will be confused. Like, "isn't this synopsis totally an action story?"

Couple that with the general sentiment among Western fans that they've been hankering for Kyoani to animate something that "deserves" good animation...this may not go down well.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2012-07-10, 21:09   Link #86
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
I have a feeling a lot of people on the Western side of the anime fandom will be confused. Like, "isn't this synopsis totally an action story?"

Couple that with the general sentiment among Western fans that they've been hankering for Kyoani to animate something that "deserves" good animation...this may not go down well.
It's already going poorly with Western fans. I've seen people blaming it for KyoAni not animating Little Busters to saying the designs are ripping off Another. Haters are going to hate regardless. The same thing happened with previous KyoAni shows, especially Hyouka.

Spoiler for ANN's mistake leading to confusion already (NOVEL SPOILERS:

Old 2012-07-10, 21:35   Link #87
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
It's already going poorly with Western fans. I've seen people blaming it for KyoAni not animating Little Busters to saying the designs are ripping off Another. Haters are going to hate regardless. The same thing happened with previous KyoAni shows, especially Hyouka.

You have my thanks for what you do for the the Western anime fandom, especially regarding Haruhi and other Kyoani works.

Yeah, and Kyoani as of late have always been animating shows that can only be aptly identified under a Japanese literary classification system and for the most part appealing to Japanese pathos, largely unknown to the Western anime fans. There's K-On! being a Kuuki-kei, Hyouka belonging to a "Seishun/Nichijou mystery" genre, and here is the concept of "Chuunibyou". Little bits of confusion really is inevitable.
       /
      / \|
    /

Last edited by winhlp32; 2012-07-10 at 21:47. Reason: Got rid of "loaded" vocabulary.
Old 2012-07-10, 22:38   Link #88
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:

So I supposed Japanese fans react better than Western then. Is the source material well recieved in Japan?

Spoiler for Novel:

Still looking forward to see how it turns out it but wasn’t expecting much anyway.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 22:57   Link #89
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
So I supposed Japanese fans react better than Western then. Is the source material well recieved in Japan?

Spoiler for Novel:

Still looking forward to see how it turns out it but wasn’t expecting much anyway.
Most Japanese fans haven't read the novels either. Outside of KyoAni's own shops, the novels can only be bought at 23/19 bookstores all throughout Japan. None of the major retailers carry them. A lot of the ones who have read them are looking forward to it. As for the work itself, the reviews I've seen are aligned with my own (writing style: poor, concept/dialogue: very interesting). There's also a fair amount of "KyoAni's in a downward spiral" comments along the non-reader fanbase there too.

Personally, I feel they're trying to get their novel lines into more bookstores and bigger name ones. Seriously, there are two stores in all of Tokyo that are selling these novels. By creating higher demand, you can get more purchasers.

Spoiler:

I read this to see how it could be made into an anime and why they chose it specifically to animate. I'm trying to be more upbeat given the doom and gloom people are saying, , but I don't want to give any misinterpretations of the work. All I ask is that you (and everyone reading) give it a shot. For a lot of people, I think they'll enjoy it. For some, I don't think they'll like it at all. For those who blame it for something and/or think KyoAni's going downhill, it won't change your opinions. But that's no different than any other show. Just go in expecting to have fun! It's a romantic comedy and I laughed a fair amount of times reading it.

Old 2012-07-11, 00:14   Link #90
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Most Japanese fans haven't read the novels either. Outside of KyoAni's own shops, the novels can only be bought at 23/19 bookstores all throughout Japan. None of the major retailers carry them. A lot of the ones who have read them are looking forward to it. As for the work itself, the reviews I've seen are aligned with my own (writing style: poor, concept/dialogue: very interesting). There's also a fair amount of "KyoAni's in a downward spiral" comments along the non-reader fanbase there too.

Personally, I feel they're trying to get their novel lines into more bookstores and bigger name ones. Seriously, there are two stores in all of Tokyo that are selling these novels. By creating higher demand, you can get more purchasers.

Spoiler:

I read this to see how it could be made into an anime and why they chose it specifically to animate. I'm trying to be more upbeat given the doom and gloom people are saying, , but I don't want to give any misinterpretations of the work. All I ask is that you (and everyone reading) give it a shot. For a lot of people, I think they'll enjoy it. For some, I don't think they'll like it at all. For those who blame it for something and/or think KyoAni's going downhill, it won't change your opinions. But that's no different than any other show. Just go in expecting to have fun! It's a romantic comedy and I laughed a fair amount of times reading it.
Spoiler for :

One more thing, I actually prefer Kyoani's sypnosis over actual one and from the looks of it, the author of the novel himself is so into this as well. If they manage to turn c2b up to the eleven and made characters likable it might actually work for me as a comedy. If they choose to tone things down and turn this into a regular SOL then I might not remain here for long. I'm not expecting much on romance since this is just the first novel.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 00:21   Link #91
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So we are in for a surprise then.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:17   Link #92
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

I find this quote quite interesting.

Quote:
If I were to handle this work seriously, it would become a dark tale. However, this story isn't like that, so I tried to make it comedical.
Since he is quite versed in handling adaptations that mixes both highs and lows, it will be interesting to see how he handles the comic timings.

Cheers.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:21   Link #93
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:

i can be considered one of the people dissapointed in kyoani latest ventures, but i wouldnt blame kyoani for not animating LB! if something key is the one who went to work with another studio first, probably not relevant to why they choose not to do it but still, i found people saying it looks like another absurd if something it looks like a midway between kanon and clannad designs, the girl from the images reminds me a lot of mai kawasumi, and hyoka i really havent seen many haters, at least not around here in animesuki.

anyway, i would really appreciate if someone tells me in what genre this fills in.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:28   Link #94
leokiko

Kyoto Animation animes are generally good (with exception of K-ON) but I hate how they make great animes, but take ages to release a sequel for it. From the look of it, this one will be good too. I'm still expecting a sequel for FMP though. Well, I kinda am...mostly gave up already.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 17:53   Link #95
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Spoiler for scans:
Old 2012-07-17, 02:37   Link #96
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i hope they use this palette, i havent been a fan of the sepia palette in their past 2 works, and i dont know a lot about little busters(only the 4 koma), but surely the ones behind the girl with the eyepatch look like riki and rin, not trying to make a controversy, but even the uniforms look similar.
Old 2012-07-17, 02:50   Link #97
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

No, both have completly different hairstyles and the uniforms aren't that alike either. Blaser + tartan skirt is an extremly common combination anyway, though not seen in anime that often since the pattern is hard to animate.
Old 2012-07-17, 15:42   Link #98
Warm Mist

I find myself looking forward to the animation of this show. Based on the synopsis, there are probably a lot of chuunibyou moments where the character(s) start acting as though they were in an action/fantasy show. I expect KyoAni to deliver in these scenes, since they tend to be pretty creative when it comes to depicting thoughts or imagination. At least Takemoto has demonstrated so in Hyouka and that scene of Disappearance.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 15:58   Link #99
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
I find myself looking forward to the animation of this show. Based on the synopsis, there are probably a lot of chuunibyou moments where the character(s) start acting as though they were in an action/fantasy show. I expect KyoAni to deliver in these scenes, since they tend to be pretty creative when it comes to depicting thoughts or imagination. At least Takemoto has demonstrated so in Hyouka and that scene of Disappearance.
the haruhi tv series had enough of that, specially the sagittarious game, and clannad had final hitode tsukai.
Old 2012-07-17, 17:31   Link #100
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
anyway, i would really appreciate if someone tells me in what genre this fills in.
It's a highschool romcom.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen