AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-03-03, 17:45   Link #1
Chosen_Hero

Ghostbusters (2016)

Do I really have to be the one to create this thread? Damn it, anyways...

Personally, i'm not a fan of this "reboot" (or whatever they want to call it, the trailer makes it seem like a sequel) and personally feel like this could have been done in a better less divisive way.

With that said after watching the trailer I felt it had the same feeling as Pixels and it also felt like the quality was jist like the live-action Scooby-Doo movies, I'll go and see it (if i'm invited) and give it a chance but as i've said, I feel nothing for this movie in particular.

Some of the reactions i've seen for this movie:

Andys face after the trailer ends says a lot.

Another one from someone that isn't a big fan of Ghostbusters but likes it:

Seems like a lot of people arrive at the same conclusion from watching the trailer.
Old 2016-03-03, 20:39   Link #2
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

For all that is almighty.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 21:53   Link #3
Psyco Diver

Feels meh, like the actors are phoning it in for the paycheck. Looks like its going to have a lot of one liner jokes also unlike the original which was serious yet had fun moments

I also don't like how they start with the flash cards in the beginning talking about the original and then completely disregard it as if it never happened, is it the same universe or not? I know the answer but the trailer makes that confusing when it does that kind of stuff.
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 21:57   Link #4
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

For the love of god, please remove that Tyrone douche from your post Chosen. He's a jerk ass.

anyway, thought it was a garbage trailer. Jokes are flat, way too colorful and the actors are like Psyco said, phoning it in.
Old 2016-03-03, 22:18   Link #5
sayde

Quote:
With that said after watching the trailer I felt it had the same feeling as Pixels and it also felt like the quality was jist like the live-action Scooby-Doo movies, I'll go and see it (if i'm invited) and give it a chance but as i've said, I feel nothing for this movie in particular.
In a matter of so few words, I think I agree. Part of me feels like giving it a legitimate chance due purely out of respect for the original 2 movies, but I'm not really feeling it. I think it's the casting for me. I actually like having female ghostbusters. But I'm not sure that making them all females works here.

But putting that aside, I also felt like these 4 were aimed to try to juxtapose traits of their male counterparts to a degree...which IMO, doesn't look like it's works too well here. Part of me feels like if they were going to go with a full female cast, then why not go for broke by making all 4 entirely different from the original cast to create a whole new dynamic that also works rather than trying to loosely repeat the formula that worked before?
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 22:35   Link #6
Guy Incognito
Odd Gentlemen

Looks bad. now that I think of it has there ever bin a good reboot?

- Guy Incognito 2014
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 22:39   Link #7
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post

You freakin nailed it, bravo. Now that I watch it again with that, I does seem like a Scooby-Doo RL Movie.
Old 2016-03-03, 22:44   Link #8
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
Looks bad. now that I think of it has there ever bin a good reboot?
^^A couple comic-based franchises come to mind. Nolan's Batman movies are probably the most notable examples I can think of though.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 22:48   Link #9
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Oh screw you, Chosen_Hero. You just have to remind me about that flick. I still didn't like the twist there, really.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-04, 00:13   Link #10
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
But putting that aside, I also felt like these 4 were aimed to try to juxtapose traits of their male counterparts to a degree...which IMO, doesn't look like it's works too well here. Part of me feels like if they were going to go with a full female cast, then why not go for broke by making all 4 entirely different from the original cast to create a whole new dynamic that also works rather than trying to loosely repeat the formula that worked before?
Both cast had different approaches to comedy, the original had a cast that excelled in deadpan/sarcastic/straight humor, the new cast doesn't really do that style so the dynamic will be very different. I get the feeling the new cast is trying to emulate that deadpan/straight humor but it feels unnatural and the "phoning it in" feeling I wrote earlier
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-04, 01:00   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I just wanna say that Sony really missed the golden opportunity to make Extreme Ghosbusters LA movie from the animated series. That series is perfect for adaptation as I think it has everything to entertain today’s audience (as long as the execution is good).
  • It has diversity:
    a latino wisecracker (Eduardo), a hot goth-girl (Kylie), a competent and active disabled person (Garret), and an intelligent black dude that doesn’t speak rap much (Roland).
  • It will be enjoyable for both old and new/young fans:
    It has young MCs, but it’s a sequel where the old Ghostbusters members can still have important roles as mentors.
  • More action:
    The ghosts/mosters/demons are really spooky & more aggressive if they were to adapt the ones from the animated series.
  • If done right, the movie will be quite funny:
    Especially if they highlight the interaction between Eduardo & Kylie, and they can brring back Annie Potts to play Janine again for more comedic punch. Sadly, we can’t bring back Egon coz no one can replace the late Harold Ramis for the role. But we can still use Dan Aykroyd as Ray.

Oh well, at least the TV series is still there for my enjoyment. And who knows, maybe they’ll decide to adapt Extreme Ghosbusters someday in the future.

As for this newest female ghostbusters, well, I can’t judge it yet coz I haven’ seen the movie. But I hope the franchise can be revived with this. Ghostbusters’ premise is fun and rich with potential that it seems such a waste if the franchise ony have two LA movies from the 80s before this.
Old 2016-03-04, 02:10   Link #12
AntonKutovoi

So far it looks like an unfunny parody, like Meet the Spartans, or something like that.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-04, 03:09   Link #13
Chosen_Hero

This is how messed up the messaging of this movie is, people who are not up to date with the development of the movie think that this is a sequel especially with the trailer acting like it is.

Hey, if they like it and want to see it then it's fine (i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and waiting until after I see it to say whether it's good or bad) but when people are this mixed up from what the movie is doing you know something is wrong and hollywood is taking advantage of that, it's genius move but man if it isn't the lowest thing you can do to the fans.

Also I just asked my brother (who has had no connection or knowhow of this movie until he just saw the trailer) and even he is saying it looks low budget and that it also reminds him of Pixels and Scooby Doo, not even joking he really just said that.
Old 2016-03-04, 09:17   Link #14
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^I agree with the guy in the video. Feels like Bridesmaids with ghosts.

And Obelisk ze Tormentor is right, i would love to see a Live action Extreme Ghostbusters.
Old 2016-03-04, 10:13   Link #15
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I bet no one is going to address the fanservice for women this movie has.

Here is the Original GhostBusters Receptionist http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Janine_Melnitz

Here is the "New" Ghostbusters Receptionist http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/u...-hemsworth.jpg

Bet if it were Black Widow as the Receptionist for the Original or a reboot all male cast, it would have been called Misogynistic.

Let's not forget the pretty racist new black character vs this guy http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Winston_Zeddemore

The ONLY person of this cast that doesn't grind my gears is the I guess "Peter Venkman" recast. The rest look like SNL/Bridesmaids/ScoobyDoo level of casting.
Old 2016-03-05, 13:04   Link #16
B214

This is truly a slap to the face for all ghost films.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-05, 15:12   Link #17
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Let's not forget the pretty racist new black character vs this guy http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Winston_Zeddemore
Pretty much. Wiston was the audience-surrogate. The one to ask for explanations in our stead and he got involved simply because he answered an add. On the reboot the black character is there because she... is street savvy... Stereotype much
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-06, 01:20   Link #18
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Old 2016-03-07, 16:41   Link #19
james0246

I can't say I liked the trailer (the cgi was very simplistic and a little garish - I was reminded of Amazing Spiderman 2 more than anything), but I had no problem with the cast or the comedy. The women here are simply not playing the same parts - Kristen Wiig is not playing Bill Murray, Melissa McCarthy is not playing Dan Aykroyd, Kate McKinnon is not playing Harold Ramis (though she is the one that comes closest to parodying the original) and Leslie Jones is definitely not playing Ernie Hudson (I do agree that the trailer does play her a little too "sassy" which comes across a little racist). Truthfully, there seems to be some hidden drama amongst this new set of characters that simply wasn't present in the original; whether this is good or bad depends entirely on the resulting storyline. Overall I am okay with the trailer mostly because I am at least optimistic about most of the characters (especially Kate McKinnon, though her brand of physical comedy easily pushes all my buttons), even if I find the cgi dated.

One way or another though, I will wait until I see the trailer on the big screen before I am fully ready to decide on the animation.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 21:42   Link #20
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

I liked Spy, so I'm sure this will be at least as-good-as.

But secretly, I'm hoping it'll exceed my expectations
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote