AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-11, 11:30   Link #2941
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

When your deprived of sleep you don't have the drunkenness symptom, though your reflexes and movements are weird because of the stress and your ability to focus is not all that great you are not what I would call drunk (more or less your just slow and your dexterity is pathetic); you would pass the average alcohol cop test for example. When you're drunk you are just edgy (at worst), no stress etc (well you do get it afterwards usually).

I do not see how I can confuse it with a placebo seeing as there is nothing there I could fool myself with.
If anything I think the people in your (controlled?) study are more likely then us.
Old 2009-07-12, 02:16   Link #2942
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I suspect the main reason there are is such a variety of socks, leggings and stocking drawn in manga / anime is so that it's easier for the viewer to distinguish between the characters. Same reason we have such outlandish hair styles and hair colour.
Stockings, knee socks, and whatever garments used in their stead all carry varying degrees of sexiness, innocence, attachment to a particular age/profession (adult vs. child, student vs. teacher, etc.), and I'm sure this is taken into account as part of the overall personality of the character. Or sometimes it's just what the artist wanted the school's female uniform to be, but I don't think socks/leggings are usually standardized by the school.

Imagine the difference between a garter on a mature woman and stripped panties on a (relatively) younger girl, and I think the difference is somewhat along those lines.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 14:32   Link #2943
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its not necessarily an "acquired" taste.. just because *you* find it unlikeable doesn't mean others agree or can't taste the difference. Since you're saying that such wildly different tastes as beer, sake, and wine "all taste alike" --- all I can say is you've saved yourself a lot of money to spend on other things. Those things taste *nothing* alike to many people.
To me, they all have different flavors of disgusting.

I don't dislike the feeling of sleep-deprivation. Unfortunately, alcohol just gives me headache and makes me sleepy.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 16:10   Link #2944
mg1942

Can I buy California IOUs?

I heard that CA IOU's carry a 3.7% TAX FREE interest rate.
Somebody with a pocketful of cash will make a killing on these things. They'll buy them at 90 cents on the dollar and then cash them in for the profit AND save tax money.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 16:24   Link #2945
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
I heard that CA IOU's carry a 3.7% TAX FREE interest rate.
Somebody with a pocketful of cash will make a killing on these things. They'll buy them at 90 cents on the dollar and then cash them in for the profit AND save tax money.
One of those "unintended consequences" things.... apparently vultures are swooping in to buy offering pennies on the dollar preying on people who need cash *now* -- so the state and feds are investigating criminal charges.

I know Arnold asked banks to honor the IOUs right now (in which case the banks would collect the interest on them later)... but I haven't heard if any banks stepped up to the plate on that request.
Old 2009-07-14, 23:18   Link #2946
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Does anyone know why currency like Won(Korea) and Yen(Japan) are weak or a very inflated compare to currency in the west?
Old 2009-07-15, 02:05   Link #2947
Clarste
Human

I'm not sure if this is a complete reason, but one reason is that dollars and pounds (and euros, apparently) are divided into even smaller units (cents for dollars and euros, pence for pounds). If you think of currency in terms of cents, the difference isn't nearly as exaggerated. Western countries just happen to have a word for "one hundred cents."
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 13:24   Link #2948
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I'm not sure if this is a complete reason, but one reason is that dollars and pounds (and euros, apparently) are divided into even smaller units (cents for dollars and euros, pence for pounds). If you think of currency in terms of cents, the difference isn't nearly as exaggerated. Western countries just happen to have a word for "one hundred cents."
Not it at all, there are huge differences between currencies that use the same system, be it cent or otherwise even ones that bare similar names. The reason is because they lost value at some point (usually a war or some other political event can be largely to blame). The market simply compensated with 1 of other currency equals XXX of said currency (it goes both ways). Eventually it stabilized but the inflated numbers due to re-balancing remain.
Old 2009-07-15, 14:47   Link #2949
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Last year at this time, 1 US dollar got you about 120 yen. Since the start of this year, it has ranged between 90-95 yen. That's a painful hit for people who buy Japanese-made products (like CDs, figures, etc).

The reason has to do with the money markets where currency is bought and speculated on. The US dollar is simply weak against those asian currencies right now because of the results from the massive Ponzi scheme Wall Street and associates played with the mortgage/loan system, eight years of accelerating govt debt and shady accounting, lack of infrastructure investment, and just a general observation that the US corporate+govt is not only doing a lousy job but looting the cookie jar in a manner not seen since the robber baron period of the 19th/early20th C.

Increase confidence that corporate officers are actually doing their job instead of enriching themselves and that the US Govt (both parties) are not bought and paid for to enrich a few corporates but to regulate a reliable system of commerce... and the dollar may rise in value again.
Old 2009-07-15, 16:23   Link #2950
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Or the Asian markets could crash. That'd work too, and which do you think is more likely?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 16:31   Link #2951
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I was reading Klash's thread earlier. And he goes about saying how he wanted to do a very wide signature, but couldn't, because of the constraints of the forum. Now I think that's strange, since the forum rules doesn't tell you how to make your signature or how it should look just how it should behave as, no?

Q1. I have a signature which is comprised of two images positioned next to each other on the same line, both are 500x80 pixels in dimension. Is the signature legit? =P

If its hard to understand lets pretend for a sec Vexx's current is not 100px but 80px (for the sake of the question), the signature would look like this:

Q2. If the answer to the previous question is negative then why is it not legit?
Old 2009-07-16, 01:45   Link #2952
Kudryavka

What does Natto Taste Like??

What the heck does natto taste like?!
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 11:57   Link #2953
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to genryou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I have tried it once and I never appreciated the taste.

Kinda like puke + rotten egg, and i,m not exaggerating
genryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 00:26   Link #2954
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Fermented goodness.

Slightly salty taste with a bitter after taste, and feels like the edible bacteria are swimming off your tongue with the gooeyness. It's really good.

Fermented foods are things you usually grow up with (acquired taste). My home town in China is well known for some of its stinkier dishes, so anything fermented makes my stomach growl in hunger.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 11:46   Link #2955
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I was reading Klash's thread earlier. And he goes about saying how he wanted to do a very wide signature, but couldn't, because of the constraints of the forum. Now I think that's strange, since the forum rules doesn't tell you how to make your signature or how it should look just how it should behave as, no?

Q1. I have a signature which is comprised of two images positioned next to each other on the same line, both are 500x80 pixels in dimension. Is the signature legit? =P

If its hard to understand lets pretend for a sec Vexx's current is not 100px but 80px (for the sake of the question), the signature would look like this:

Q2. If the answer to the previous question is negative then why is it not legit?
For the 1st question, i think you can't. Because place 2 signature next to each other will make it 80x1000 instead, while the rule is 160x500....
I knows they have same area, but in this case the signature is restricted by size and the two dimensions. Just like how they restrict your bag when you get on an air plane (except it's 3 dimensions there)

The reason behind this (as i think) are
- firstly, to prevent any signature longer than the normal screen that most ppl used.
- secondly, i visited several forum without the "restricted dimension" signature, and i don't know the actual reasons, but it's really hard to see where a post end and another posts started when the whole page is crammed with signatures. While i hate the size restriction is animesuki (especially when my desired avatar or signature was just 10 inches longer or 0.1 kb bigger). But i admit comparing to other site the dimensions restriction does make the whole site looks neater
Old 2009-07-18, 09:02   Link #2956
monster

If I use a desktop email client, it will have to sign in to my email account(s) in order to retrieve my mails, right? So will that satisfy the active account requirements for (free versions of) aol/aim mail, gmail, windows live/hotmail, and yahoo or do i still have to manually sign in with a web browser?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 17:24   Link #2957
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
If I use a desktop email client, it will have to sign in to my email account(s) in order to retrieve my mails, right? So will that satisfy the active account requirements for (free versions of) aol/aim mail, gmail, windows live/hotmail, and yahoo or do i still have to manually sign in with a web browser?
do you mean like outlook express?
My mom uses outlook express, cause she doesn't know anything else, what I know about is that you can access the emails you've received even when you have no internet, only bad thing of course is that you don't receive anything new and it is accessible by other people quite easily, my mom has it passworded but I had it several times that I would ignore that message and I could still browse through her email (ont he same pc ofc), but I must add that she has outlook registered to her email and never uses it for any other email, I think that if you try that then you'd have to *internet required* problem to retrieve everything each time

but then again I'm no big fan of outlook or any desktop email D:
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 17:29   Link #2958
Dreamtale
Recursion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Customize the client (outlook, bat etc.), fill the login and password where it's necessary (in "options" or something) and you'll havent to log every time manually. Launch the program and you'll get mail automaticaly.
Dreamtale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 18:25   Link #2959
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Maybe this should have been put on the General Anime section but I don't feel like creating another thread..

So, I just watched Gantz. I actually looked up this anime like 1,5 years ago, but I didn't bother checking it out because Wikipedia, Anidb and so on, listed it as mecha. So now I watched it, and I ask : Where is the mecha ? O.o

Makes me wonder if I've missed any other good series just because they're mistakenly tagged...
Old 2009-07-18, 20:30   Link #2960
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
do you mean like outlook express?
I'm actually using windows live mail, never really cared for either outlook or outlook express.
Quote:
My mom uses outlook express, cause she doesn't know anything else, what I know about is that you can access the emails you've received even when you have no internet, only bad thing of course is that you don't receive anything new and it is accessible by other people quite easily, my mom has it passworded but I had it several times that I would ignore that message and I could still browse through her email (ont he same pc ofc), but I must add that she has outlook registered to her email and never uses it for any other email, I think that if you try that then you'd have to *internet required* problem to retrieve everything each time

but then again I'm no big fan of outlook or any desktop email D:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamtale View Post
Customize the client (outlook, bat etc.), fill the login and password where it's necessary (in "options" or something) and you'll havent to log every time manually. Launch the program and you'll get mail automaticaly.
I'm not really worried about getting my emails. I'm doing fine with my current client, and it's very convenient to just open up one client, with automatic login, and have access to emails from all of my email accounts (except those from yahoo since I don't have the plus account).

The problem is that I don't want to suddenly find out my email accounts have gone dormant or closed because I've just been using the client and not actually logging in at the respective email website for 3 months, 9 months, or however much time apart I am required to login.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious