Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-12-24, 21:11   Link #521
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Yes, I fooled with this all last night before posting my probs looking for that last second desperate help today...

Nvidia GeForce 6150Se nForce 430 is my card however that helps...
see the post above ................
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 21:17   Link #522
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^I got some Xmas $hit to do so I'll be back in a few to do the nividia thing, but this pic for the hell of it...

Old 2009-12-24, 21:17   Link #523
Zetsubo
著述遮断

I installed BSD player... granted I use ATI hardware exclusively so I can't duplicate your exact problem to help you further and bsplayer plays well. This is deff a hardware + driver issue I am curious about though.

Sorry.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 21:20   Link #524
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Merry XPmas dude...Thanx for your efforts...

Edit: Congrats on that second rep-dot, a Xmas miracle!!^^
Old 2009-12-25, 03:57   Link #525
Panic

I currently have three Windows OS: XP, Vista, and 7.

I use XP for my main computer, 7 for my school work and Vista only for minor net browsing.

I am very happy with XP and I wouldn't exchange it for 7 (on my main computer). Although, 7 does prove to be better than Vista. Vista is full of security holes and within days of me getting my Vista copy, I was invaded by evil BSODs and trojans. Also, for Vista to even function half as good as XP, you'd have to have a pretty damned good computer for that. And yes I had antivirus (paid avira).
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 14:47   Link #526
Alchemist007
*Author

Upgraded from RC to Ultimate full. Same goodness.
Old 2009-12-26, 13:19   Link #527
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
After this computer goes away, I really can't use XP anymore, since it can't recognize over 3GB of RAM.
Old 2009-12-26, 23:43   Link #528
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

You still can, there's a 64-bit version of it still available.
Old 2009-12-26, 23:57   Link #529
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlumina View Post
You still can, there's a 64-bit version of it still available.
64-bit is only useful if you have a 64-bit processor and most earlier computers will have missing drivers since most manufacturers don't support 64-bit for older devices and you can't just use 32-bit driver on a 64-bit system...

Not to mention, some 32-bit programs may not run on 64-bit windows because of compatibility problems, but most cases, this is uncommon.
Old 2009-12-27, 00:42   Link #530
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Games seem to have the most problems with 64 bit OSes... mostly because there seems to be little/no testing of them in a 64 bit space. At the moment, I'd caution using a 64 bit OS if you play a lot of games -- or at least check the ones you play for compatibility.

Like I've said before... there's less and less excuse for this amongst software developers with the commonality of 64 bit machines - especially among the gaming community who tend towards high power machines.
Old 2009-12-27, 03:38   Link #531
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Games seem to have the most problems with 64 bit OSes... mostly because there seems to be little/no testing of them in a 64 bit space. At the moment, I'd caution using a 64 bit OS if you play a lot of games -- or at least check the ones you play for compatibility.
I think this will change quite quickly and that most recent games should work fine on 64-bit. New PCs (and notebooks) with 4 GB RAM (or more) are very quickly becoming standard - and game developers will have to adapt to those kinds of PCs being loaded with 64-bit Windows.

Hell, I just visited the Dell homepage and the cheapest Inspiron PCs they list come with 64-bit Windows 7 according to the specs, even though those minimal spec PCs don't come with more than 3 GB RAM.

About the only game I play on PC (Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance) works better on 64-bit because you don't have to hack the Windows boot.ini file to allow it to address more than 2GB per application (and yes, with many units on screen I've hit that limit).

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend XP 64-bit because undoubtly the driver support for it will be pretty bad. For Windows 7 this is not an issue.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 14:35   Link #532
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Sighs, can't believe I'm dealing with this $hit again...One of the main reasons I switched to 7 from Vista was that firefox would completely disable all my internet connections if I upgraded from the 3.05...Everytime I tried to update it would no longer work and none of my other browsers would have connectivity either...So I figure that problem would be solved on 7 and I upgraded firefox, but same thing every browser has stopped working and I've done everything I know how (Going to tools in IE, selecting Mozilla in firewall, etc.) and nothing has worked...Usually when this has happened in the past I would system restore to my last best setting, but this time I forgot to make a restore point and I had to undo a setting yesterday because of a driver issue so I have nothing that I can revert back to...Any knowledge on how to fix my connectivity? I use a verizon wireless usb connector and after I activate it it gives me all of green bars denoting it's fine, but no connectivity for my browser...I'm using my GFs CPU now and it's working fine so it has to be some zany Vista//7 compatibility thing (And I even reverted firefox and verizon wireless back to Xp2 and still no connections..

ANy help would be awesome and rep will be awarded since that's the only bargaining chip I got, please help....
Old 2010-01-01, 08:04   Link #533
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
I tried windows 7 x64 on vmware on a Vista 32bit host (it's possible if you have hardware virtualisation). In many ways, it was more stable to use and i find the interface much simpler and intuitive. Vista's been on my pc for about a year and a bit, and it already looks like it'll throw in the towel soon. If it does, I'll go grab a copy of Windows 7 and upgrade.
Old 2010-01-01, 13:16   Link #534
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

More Windows 7 problems with Bluetooth and my Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000. It's ironic since when I re-pair the mouse on my bootcamp partition on my Macbook Pro, it pairs it successfully, but it fails to install the drivers until I unpair the mouse on the other computer and restart the computer. This is ridiculous. Why do you need to reboot the computer just to make a bluetooth mouse to work on Windows 7? On Vista, it works fine... it works fine in Mac OS X without any problems and Linux, so why not Windows 7?

Well yeah... Windows is still Windows after all... same old headaches...
Old 2010-01-01, 13:20   Link #535
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Sighs, can't believe I'm dealing with this $hit again...One of the main reasons I switched to 7 from Vista was that firefox would completely disable all my internet connections if I upgraded from the 3.05...Everytime I tried to update it would no longer work and none of my other browsers would have connectivity either...So I figure that problem would be solved on 7 and I upgraded firefox, but same thing every browser has stopped working and I've done everything I know how (Going to tools in IE, selecting Mozilla in firewall, etc.) and nothing has worked...Usually when this has happened in the past I would system restore to my last best setting, but this time I forgot to make a restore point and I had to undo a setting yesterday because of a driver issue so I have nothing that I can revert back to...Any knowledge on how to fix my connectivity? I use a verizon wireless usb connector and after I activate it it gives me all of green bars denoting it's fine, but no connectivity for my browser...I'm using my GFs CPU now and it's working fine so it has to be some zany Vista//7 compatibility thing (And I even reverted firefox and verizon wireless back to Xp2 and still no connections..

ANy help would be awesome and rep will be awarded since that's the only bargaining chip I got, please help....
Many of us use firefox and all other browsers just fine in Win7 or Vista, etc. Since you're changed your OS ... I have to wonder if the problem resides either in your NIC (network jack, either the driver or the hardware) or your router. Does your Network Center page show that you're connected to the network? Do other net applications work (games, etc)?

I see a LOT of problems with connectivity from USB NICs... that'd be the first thing I'd get rid of... o wait, do you mean you have one of those cellular Verizon wireless units? Does the Device Manager show it as "working properly"?

Try using the Verizon device on another computer and see if it works there.

A lot of diagnosis is just swapping things out one at a time or trying pieces on other equipment.
Old 2010-01-01, 16:08   Link #536
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i kept getting blue screens from time to time after i switch, anyway to fix that
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 17:42   Link #537
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
To the person having trouble with Verizon's GSM dongle:

Go download the Windows 7 drivers for the doohickey.
Old 2010-01-01, 17:48   Link #538
Farix

I received the Family Pack for Christmas and upgrade an old Dell Dimension 4700 running XP 32 and a HP Pavilion laptop running Vista 64. I choose the "custom" installation for both of them and have been happy with the results. My bluetooth mouse worked without installing any additional bluetooth drivers like I had to under Vista, though I still had to install the mouse driver. And getting the two computers to talk to each other was a no-brainer. The only real issue I had is that the quickplay driver on the HP caused Win7 to bluescreen, but I never used the quickplay button to begin with.

One thing I will note is that the "custom install" isn't as destructive as we've been lead to believe. The install program will make a copy of your old Windows/, Documents and Settings/, and Program Files/ directories and place them under the Windows.old/ directory. While you will still have to reinstall your applications, your documents and settings and original program files can still be retrieved.

Now I've ordered a third computer to replace a 10 year old Dell Dimension that my dad has been using. It's currently running Win2K and it is really showing it's age.
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 19:37   Link #539
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, the Release Candidate did that as well. I appreciated it but was a bit aggravated because I spent several hours extracting/backingup everything unnecessarily.

The Family Pack is one of those "duh, brilliant" moments of packaging - I've been asking for household licenses for years on OSes and applications. Too bad it doesn't cover Win2K boxes though...
Old 2010-01-01, 20:37   Link #540
Farix

I don't know if I would have preferred a complete wipe of the disk before the upgraded or not. The XP box had a lot of files that the upgrade agent didn't touch and I had to manually delete. But at the same time, the laptop had some Vista drivers and programs that I needed, but didn't know that they were on the hard drive until after the upgrade. Had I known, I could have saved $200 on a 1T network storage device that I really didn't need. Oh well, I can use it to store my fansubs and share them between all the computers in the network.

As for my Win2K box, it needs to be replace no matter how you look at it. It's already struggling under Win2K and I hate to see how it would have coped with Win7.
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote