AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-02, 14:49   Link #201
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I thought that it was the season 2. But no , just a mere fast remake , i found it useless. Just make the S2 already...
Btw the OP is terrible. ED is ok.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 14:59   Link #202
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
My main problem is that this is episode one and its moving a bit too quickly, because it doesn't give us any time to take in the world, before it throws us into the story. As for the other secret look at Kurapica's eyes in the remake's opening.
I actually think that this anime does a better job of creating a mysterious world than the first series did. I'm getting a very distinct "One Piece" vibe from the first episode. The introduction did a great job of introducing the world of Hunter x Hunter.

Quote:
So was Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and yet its anime was aimed at an even younger audience than that, which caused problems when the series tried to adapt the later material, that is what I'm worried about. Its not the violence I'm worried about.
Tsubasa Chronicle aired on Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. It's a primetime slot, and it's not geared necessarily to children or adults--it's sort of mid-range. I think that the adaptation was a shame, but I'm not sure that it was due to demographic. Bee Train just did what they typically do--slowed down the pace to a snail's crawl, dulled down the colors, and made it boring.

Quote:
But those poll results are very deceptive as they say the same thing about One Piece and yet we know that's not true. If its selling that much then it means that kids are reading it too.
One Piece is still very much present in Japanese media though. There are theme parks, tons of merchandise, and it comes on every weekend in the mornings. It's the Japanese equivalent to a Saturday morning cartoon. Hunter x Hunter could potentially reach a level of popularity similar to that. Despite the frequent hiatuses, the books still sell nearly a million copies each--something that 90% of other series struggle with.

Quote:
Well Kurapica's chest is flat from the sides and are shaped like a males, so I take that to assume that he is a dude (even though the manga lampshades his ambiguity).
I was just throwing out a theory based on that scene in the anime (and one that takes place in the Yorknew City arc).
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter manga spoilers:

I'm not saying that it's for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was suddenly revealed. Then again, I only started thinking about this after watching the episode
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:33   Link #203
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kawashiro was the one voice that stuck out as wrong to me, not having watched the original. Way, way too girly as Kurapica.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:50   Link #204
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'd like to remind everyone that what you call "originally three episodes" is actually "originally two manga chapters". Much of those three eps were actually what would today be the oft decried "filler".

They only skipped three elements of background, from the first chapter:
Spoiler for manga:
That fits the rumors posted by chiryu a few weeks ago. I'll give this remake a pass.
Old 2011-10-02, 15:56   Link #205
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
I actually think that this anime does a better job of creating a mysterious world than the first series did. I'm getting a very distinct "One Piece" vibe from the first episode. The introduction did a great job of introducing the world of Hunter x Hunter.
Well I think that's because they kept in the prologue from the manga, which basically explains the world, but still I would have loved to be shown some of the world instead of it just being told to me.

Quote:
Tsubasa Chronicle aired on Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. It's a primetime slot, and it's not geared necessarily to children or adults--it's sort of mid-range. I think that the adaptation was a shame, but I'm not sure that it was due to demographic. Bee Train just did what they typically do--slowed down the pace to a snail's crawl, dulled down the colors, and made it boring.
Funy thing that it actually wasn't Bee-Train's fault, it was the fault of the channel airing the show; NHK, as they forced Bee-Train to put the show in a category for younger audience than the series was originally intended. This was also why the Acid Tokyo arc was avoided like a plague. This much was admitted by the staff involved with the anime.

Quote:
One Piece is still very much present in Japanese media though. There are theme parks, tons of merchandise, and it comes on every weekend in the mornings. It's the Japanese equivalent to a Saturday morning cartoon. Hunter x Hunter could potentially reach a level of popularity similar to that. Despite the frequent hiatuses, the books still sell nearly a million copies each--something that 90% of other series struggle with.
Hunter x Hunter has what it takes to be one of the top selling manga along with One Piece, but Togashi....

If only, If only...

Quote:
I was just throwing out a theory based on that scene in the anime (and one that takes place in the Yorknew City arc).
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter manga spoilers:

I'm not saying that it's for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was suddenly revealed. Then again, I only started thinking about this after watching the episode
I think it was in the guide book.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 17:38   Link #206
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I never saw the original so this all new to me, but i liked what i saw. So is Mito not his mom, was just wondering why Gon called her by her first name. Like how the captain was the examiner. Interesting that he knew Gon's father. Wonder if he;ll tell him anything. Glad the other 2 saved him, they don't seem bad.
Old 2011-10-02, 17:46   Link #207
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
I never saw the original so this all new to me, but i liked what i saw. So is Mito not his mom, was just wondering why Gon called her by her first name. Like how the captain was the examiner. Interesting that he knew Gon's father. Wonder if he;ll tell him anything. Glad the other 2 saved him, they don't seem bad.
You might consider watching the original, the graphics aren't bad, the only thing the new one has over the old one is the sharpness.
Old 2011-10-02, 23:45   Link #208
Sabinswe

The first Hunter X Hunter was the second animé i ever saw after Ginga Nageroboshi Gin(Silver fang).

And after Silver fang it´s my favourite show ever, just watched the first ep of the new one and i liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capped View Post
I agree that the all the first episode did was a make me want to watch the original over again. There was alot of early character development and subtle storyline structuring that was left out. Like Gon's affinity with animals, his unusual agility and use of the fishing pole, etc. I also disliked some of the VA's. Mito-san sounds way to old, Kurapika doesn't have a hard enough edge, etc. Gon and Leorio both sound ok though.
They showed all that when he caught the fish, the animals around him for example whilst sitting in the tree, the way caught the fish jumping around the tree with the fishing pole.

And also on the boat they showed both his agility and affinity with animals, first when he said that the seagulls told him that a storm was coming and his agility was shown when he jumped up that net.

Were we even watching the same show?

Last edited by Sabinswe; 2011-10-02 at 23:58.
Sabinswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 00:48   Link #209
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I skimmed through the first episode, and it was okay. Obviously not as "detailed" as the original(if what Anh_Minh says is true), but did a decent job moving through the story with the most important bits. It is kinda sad that it loses the melancholy of the original anime though, which felt more as if they were telling the day-to-day life of Gon rather than Gon searching for his father(which is the ambiance of this new adaptation).

Oh, and Hisoka glowing crotch shot is f*kn AWESOME =03!
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 03:22   Link #210
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I've never seen Hunter x Hunter, but it's the same author as YYH. Yay! Not a bad opening episode at all, will reserve judgement for later.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 05:05   Link #211
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That fits the rumors posted by chiryu a few weeks ago. I'll give this remake a pass.
Yeah. My expectations were lower after i heard the rumors, but i still ended up disappointed. First episode was rushed, badly directed and had no emotion behind it. There was something seriously off.

Regarding Kurapica's voice...well, that's how Miyuki Sawashiro is. She voices boys and girls using the same tone. I didn't like her performances as Toto (Deadman Wonderland) and Lag Seeing (Tegami Bachi), so i'm sure this will be annoying too.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 06:52   Link #212
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
First episode was rushed, badly directed and had no emotion behind it. There was something seriously off.
That's going a bit far. I just read the chapters that were animated in this first episode, and i don't see any form of bad directing or rushed pacing.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:30   Link #213
chiryu

Everyone else notice Biske, Knuckle and Morau's sihoulette? Greed Island is a given, but do you think the Ant arc will have a chance to be animated as well? (although I personally wouldn't be able to take it seriously with the new animation style)
chiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 11:11   Link #214
Shinmaru

Send a message via AIM to Shinmaru Send a message via MSN to Shinmaru Send a message via Yahoo to Shinmaru
I recently watched the original series, and personally it didn't grab me until the second or third round of the Hunter Exam (despite being fairly well directed from the start), so I honestly don't mind that the first episode seems to speed through a few things. There's plenty of time to develop relationships, background, the world, etc. I'm eager for the series to get to the meatier stuff and see if Madhouse puts its mark on it like the original series did so well.
Old 2011-10-03, 15:33   Link #215
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Kawashiro was the one voice that stuck out as wrong to me, not having watched the original. Way, way too girly as Kurapica.
OH MY GOD -- are they making Kurapica sound GIRLISH?!
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 15:59   Link #216
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
I wonder if they're changing his origin into a girl? This way Leo gets some straight action through doujins, instead of yaoi.

To bad they couldn't get the voice actor for Naruto to come back.
Old 2011-10-03, 16:57   Link #217
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
To bad they couldn't get the voice actor for Naruto to come back.
I'm sure they could, but that's not the point. Fresh start means new voice cast.
Old 2011-10-03, 18:51   Link #218
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiryu View Post
Everyone else notice Biske, Knuckle and Morau's sihoulette? Greed Island is a given, but do you think the Ant arc will have a chance to be animated as well? (although I personally wouldn't be able to take it seriously with the new animation style)
I noticed! What I like about the new animation style is that it matches Togashi's. Togashi intentionally disarms the reader with his "cutesy" style. He'll occasionally throw in disturbingly graphic depictions of violence and shift into extremely realistic drawings of characters; it serves to show the gravity of the situation (and the brutality surrounding the lives of Hunters--especially considering that Gon is an eleven-year-old competing against adults for this profession).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinmaru View Post
I recently watched the original series, and personally it didn't grab me until the second or third round of the Hunter Exam (despite being fairly well directed from the start), so I honestly don't mind that the first episode seems to speed through a few things. There's plenty of time to develop relationships, background, the world, etc. I'm eager for the series to get to the meatier stuff and see if Madhouse puts its mark on it like the original series did so well.
I agree. Although many fans look back fondly upon the series, a significant portion of the first set of episodes are weak in some aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzpJLNB_8A

Go to 3:28. It's nearly just as high in pitch. But the new actress' voice is actually better at acting.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 21:32   Link #219
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I'll watch more once a dozen or so episodes are out, but I just don't see the need for this...If it was drastically different like FMA: Brotherhood that's one thing, but no way will this ever be better than the original first series...The feel of that series, the hand drawings, the mid-90's gritty backgrounds; they were l33t back when l33t was actually a cool word...

Now I'll give Madhouse credit for not drawing it ridiculously clean and pretty like the slightly disappointing Yugioh Card season, but it's hard (atleast for me) to get hype over something that was already done extraordinarily well...How can I not judge it harshly with that in mind?
Old 2011-10-03, 22:40   Link #220
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzpJLNB_8A

Go to 3:28. It's nearly just as high in pitch. But the new actress' voice is actually better at acting.
Yeah, I think Rick nailed it on its head. Kurapica sounds younger in the original version, so the high pitch and feminine feature in his voice is more androgynous. This Kurapica sounds like an attractive woman in her 20's to 30's.

It's boggling me a little bit. Having fully recognized Kurapica as a man and ingrained it in my mind in the original version, my fundamental understanding of Kurapica's gender is shaken in just a few lines. If that's what the director is shooting for in the new version, bravo. It's perturbing how well it's worked.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen