Notices

Old 2006-01-04, 02:34   Link #21
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 青和紙
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Hmm...sucks to be Europe. Well I guess that's what happens when they use PAL instead of NTSC.
Canada too. Freeloaders...
/me is very confused... Canadians use the exact same NTSC TVs as you do... perhaps a misquote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Why would it suck to be us? All newer european TV sets are supporting the frequency the NTSC signal is outputted at now for a long time. It's just a matter of DVD or in this case, Blu-Ray region decoding by players. However, with DRM coming up in Blu-Ray I really am kind of scared if they'll be able to restrict production of "region-free" Blu-Ray players.
Well, yeah, I assume he was alluding to the fact that the most likely/probably reason for the seperate region coding for Europe is because the standard is still PAL (even if newer TVs support NTSC as well). A European region disc would be PAL and the region code will tell it apart.

Anyway, I'd be quite pleased if North America and Japan end up in the same region. If only they could do it retroactively...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 06:17   Link #22
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Well, yeah, I assume he was alluding to the fact that the most likely/probably reason for the seperate region coding for Europe is because the standard is still PAL (even if newer TVs support NTSC as well). A European region disc would be PAL and the region code will tell it apart.
Yeah it does seem more logical for Japan to be in the same region as the US, especially because both countries uses the dated NTSC. Mind you only four countries outside of the Americas uses NTSC system and Japan is one of them

Mind you NTSC-J is slightly different from the NTSC used in USA, the signal used for blanking and black in Japan is the same used for PAL. Not sure if that will cause any problems for US TVs as all of them are not compatible with PAL signals.
While with PAL TVs its the complete opposite, although that's because its always easier goign from a higher resolution (PAL) to a lower one (NTSC).

Anyway this will change nothing for Europe, people will still import from whatever region and destroy the local market
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 11:47   Link #23
DaFool
Resident devil

Has there been a DVD set that's both NTSC and PAL?

Though I doubt it, I'd personally would like to see an all-standard H264 / Region 0 Blu-Ray anime disc. I know Central Park Media has been releasing old obscure series as Region 0 NTSC DVDs. Oh yes, Philippines is another [un]lucky country to be using NTSC - exactly same as US.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 20:11   Link #24
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Has there been a DVD set that's both NTSC and PAL?
Huh? My Pioneer DVD player I bought almost seven years ago play both NTSC and PAL, as does my tv, with standard factory settings. Did I misunderstand the question? Because I was so suprised I had to comment on it.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 20:46   Link #25
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Why would it suck to be us? All newer european TV sets are supporting the frequency the NTSC signal is outputted at now for a long time. It's just a matter of DVD or in this case, Blu-Ray region decoding by players. However, with DRM coming up in Blu-Ray I really am kind of scared if they'll be able to restrict production of "region-free" Blu-Ray players.
They'll have to make some for countries in which region restrictions are illegal. Though I don't see why anyone would want to buy anything in a format which had effective DRM anyway.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 23:29   Link #26
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
They'll have to make some for countries in which region restrictions are illegal.
Australia has that law if my memory is correct.

One of my VCR I bought in Hong Kong supports dual format.

And NTSC is not that inferior compared to PAL. It is quite useful in Asia as you can put different language dubs in different channels (left/right).
Old 2006-01-30, 13:14   Link #27
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Can American consumers actually buy Japanese DVDs in the future and play them in their DVD players right away, no region hacking necessary?
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 14:31   Link #28
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
And NTSC is not that inferior compared to PAL. It is quite useful in Asia as you can put different language dubs in different channels (left/right).
And PAL can't do that? I'm fairly sure we've had dual language broadcasts (fin/swe) for as far as I can remember.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 15:50   Link #29
ShikaShika
無罪

I might be completely crazy, but does the sound even have anything to do with PAL and NTSC? From what I've understood, the difference between PAL and NTSC is simply fps and screen resolution.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 16:15   Link #30
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

NTSC has an higher fps like 30 I think. Pal is 25. Most people can't see the diffrence between the 2. Atleast if they see it, it prolly wont annoy them much.

Pal has an higher resolution, but because most great stuff come from USA/Japan it isnt always better. USA/Japan makes their products for their own region. So there basicly is no diffrence in image quality, because it isn't optimised for it. However when they do optimise it for then Pal wins.

I don't really care though wont be long till there are methodes to make PS3/blue ray players region free.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 12:44   Link #31
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon
Pal has an higher resolution, but because most great stuff come from USA/Japan it isnt always better.
In what possible area does American television excel in? Japan does the best animation, and Britain does the best live-action, cultural and informational television. As I understand it, American television has a system in place which systematically crushes almost all major innovation, and is basically centred around advertising.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 13:14   Link #32
Swann

To my understanding the whole NTSC, PAL problem will become moot on most HDTVs - at least my projector plays either feed. Of course PAL/NTSC TVs have always been available in Europe.

I have doubts that Japan and USA will be on the same region code for movies. But if it is true, ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME. Sony has always been stupid - brilliant technology, incompetent ownership - so its rather doubtful.

And by the way, region encoding has nothing, and never has had anything, to do with piracy. The basic practice of selling a product at one price to a specific group of people, lets say blacks, but denying them that same identical product at a price you sell to another group, lets say whites, is illegal in most countries including the US. This has always accounted for the great deal legal difficulty Sony and M$ have had, in less plutocratic countries, in stopping mod chips.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote