AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-11-03, 18:59   Link #21
ExShinobi
I Am The Wired.

Pshhhhh Opera....

Actually Mozilla has a new browser in development, its faster than Firefox, Its called Minefeild. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../latest-trunk/
Runs Epicly.
ExShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 21:49   Link #22
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExShinobi View Post
Pshhhhh Opera....

Actually Mozilla has a new browser in development, its faster than Firefox, Its called Minefeild. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../latest-trunk/
Runs Epicly.
This isn't a new browser - it's Mozilla's nightly build of Firefox 3.1. You can in fact praise them for possibly having a much faster Firefox when 3.1 comes out. However, I still frown upon telling the general public to download nightlies, because they are by no means stable.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 21:59   Link #23
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExShinobi View Post
Pshhhhh Opera....

Runs Epicly.
It definitely run faster the FF3 but against Opera, it still lose ^^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 23:26   Link #24
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
Well, optimizing Opera should also include installing its powerful widgets.

A-freakingly-mazing post man.
Pendevous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 23:02   Link #25
nonexistinghero

For firefox what number should i set browser.cache.disk.capacity to? Im thinking a super high number wont be good?
nonexistinghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 08:37   Link #26
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I personally keep disk cache to 0 since loading from the net is faster then from disk, most of the time (if you have bad connection that wont be so). I also have memory cache set to 0 for some time now, since I like opera consuming only betwean 10~40mb. Note that the memory cache works in Opera does not mean "if you close the tab and go back it will reload the entire contents".

(oh noes accidental thread necro)

Here's a simple trick for those like me who hate sorting though addresses.
Opera instructions but other browsers should work similarly...
  • Go to Tools > Advanced > History
  • Set Addresses to 0
  • Tools > Delete private data, and clear the history of typed in addresses;
  • You will need to restart Opera at this point.
Now I can see how people with disorganised bookmarks will have a problem with this but the idea is to bookmark not the sites you like but rather the sites you wish to type in the addressbar time and time again (and preferably as few addresses from the same domain as possible).

Opera checks the booksmarks when you type in the address field so having nice and simple bookmarks you will get perfect simple suggestion each time.

For form field completion you can 1) use wand's field thingy to get fast complete with Ctrl+Enter or 2) add wathever it is you add frequently to notes, you can press DownArraw while in a textfield (not a textarea) to access notes on the fly.

[Automatic Google "I'm feeling lucky" search for misstyped addresses]
Old 2009-04-01, 09:56   Link #27
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Safari 4 Public Beta Hidden Settings
These tweaks only work on the Mac version of Safari 4 on Leopard and Tiger

To use them, open up Terminal.app and copy the code below.

Restore Tabs: This moves the tabs back to it's normal place.
$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

Restore Progress Bar: This restores the progress bar on the Address Bar
$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeToolbarRedesign -bool NO
$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle -bool NO

Disable Autocomplete: Disables Firefox 3 like auto-complete address bar
$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeFancyURLCompletionList -bool NO

Disable Google Autocomplete: Disables the search suggestions in the search box
$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeGoogleSuggest -bool NO

Disable Coverflow: Disables Coverflow in Bookmark view
$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeFlowViewInBookmarksView -bool NO

Disable Dimming on Top Sites: Disables dim view when you load a page from Top Sites
$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TopSitesZoomToPageAnimationDimsSnapsho t -bool NO

Disable Top Sites: Disables Top Sites feature completely
$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeTopSites -bool NO
Old 2009-04-08, 17:16   Link #28
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

This one is a double-edge sword but, if you want to tell Opera not to load its default weekly updated site-fixing scripts; since well you don't visit sites that need them:

opera:config#UserPrefs|BrowserJavaScript

Set it to 0. Documentation: http://www.opera.com/docs/browserjs/
Old 2009-04-08, 18:29   Link #29
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The recent proliferation of threads here with YouTube embeds has made FlashBlock a pretty valuable add-in for Firefox for me.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 01:22   Link #30
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Well, TBH, it wont load until you click the play button on it (at least in Opera), so I dont see whats the problem with it..
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-04-09, 01:32   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

FlashBlock adds an equivalent feature to Firefox. When I visited the recent OP/ED thread, my CPU usage jumped, and the page took quite a while to load. It appears that each embedded player instance has to be decoded. With FlashBlock, each item is overlaid with a play button that activates the Flash content on demand.
Old 2009-04-09, 02:09   Link #32
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm guessing firefox is chocking on that many flash players? In Opera I never had a use for such things but you can: 1) press F12 and Disable Plugins, or 2) use FlashBlock of course (blocks silverlight too).
Old 2009-04-09, 18:46   Link #33
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

OmniWeb Tips
Site Preferences:
You can change the Appearances on "Page Appearence" and you can chose font style, page colors, image settings, and a user defined style sheet.
Ad Blocking:
This setting, you can chose to disable popups, animated images, and enable/disable blocked images.
Other:
You can change the browser identity in this page, how links behave, and download folder settings.

Plugin Settings:
Unlike Safari, you can manage browser plugins on the "Plugin Preferences" page. This page can be accessed under Preferences:

To disable a plugin, uncheck it. To renenable, just recheck the disabled plugin.

Sneaky Peek Builds:
You can download experimental builds by using the "Check for Updates" option. After it check for updates, it will give you the ability to download bleeding edge builds which contains latest Webkit rendering engine and new features/bugfixes... although it may not be stable as the final builds.

Safari
Nightly Builds:
You can download the latest rendering engine at http://webkit.org/. They do not overwrite Safari, but it can be set as your default browser and you can obtain the latest nightly builds without downloading the disk image, but not for the faint of heart.

Blocking Ads:
(Mac OS X only) You can block ads using the SafariBlock addon, which can be downloaded at: http://code.google.com/p/safariblock/
Old 2009-04-09, 21:44   Link #34
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
FlashBlock adds an equivalent feature to Firefox. When I visited the recent OP/ED thread, my CPU usage jumped, and the page took quite a while to load. It appears that each embedded player instance has to be decoded. With FlashBlock, each item is overlaid with a play button that activates the Flash content on demand.
Yey .. +1 to -1 @ Firefox. I'm almost exclusively on Opera, so I never face that problem
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-04-16, 15:01   Link #35
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Google Chrome is very "free" with sending information; so if you don't like it there is this alternative version that can be used, its called Iron and is created by a german company. Effectively, Chrome striped of all the information abuse.

Iron: http://www.srware.net/software_srware_iron_download.php
Old 2009-04-19, 12:58   Link #36
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Thanks for introducing this. With the latest version of Webkit engine and with useless query functions stripped off, it is even faster than Chrome.

For Firefox users, apart from all the optimizing techniques introduced in the previous posts, disabling IPv6 at about:config may also be helpful.

Quote:
network.dns.disableIPv6=true
If you notice that it takes a long period of time to go pass the "Waiting for response..." stage before the actual download of page content, chances are that Firefox has spent too much time querying an non-existing IPv6 address. However great IPv6 technically is, as of today very few websites actually use it. Ironically you may get better performance by simply switching off the IPv6 function.

Btw currently I'm using Firefox+Vimperator as my main browser. Firefox may not be the fastest browser on earth in terms of startup and rendering, but the extra speed, efficiency and screen estate I can gain from a command-line browser environment outweigh all its shortcomings.

Don't get freaked out by the Vi/Vim technical mumbo jumbo. Just like me, you don't need any Vim background to enjoy the speed and benefits of 100% mouseless browsing. Print a cheat sheet out and stick it on your desk for a day. On the next day you gain full command of your browser at your fingertips, as well as an extra piece of scrap paper.

These are the Vimperator plugins I am using, btw. To maximize screen estate (screencap example), I recommend installing autoHideStatusbar for firefox as well.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2009-04-19 at 14:33. Reason: Added images
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 13:47   Link #37
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
Btw currently I'm using Firefox+Vimperator as my main browser.
You may be interested in Ubiquity from Mozzila labs (there is a Opera equivalent for anyone interested).

Which reminds me, for more Opera js fun check out this thread on their forum.
Old 2009-04-19, 14:49   Link #38
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You may be interested in Ubiquity from Mozzila labs (there is a Opera equivalent for anyone interested).
I have tried fiddling with it for a few days, but found it a bit buggy and crashes the system from time to time. I ended up uninstalling it, and mapped some of the more useful commands to Vimperator .

IMO the greatest thing of ubiquity is its simplicity as a command-line tool which even the mouse-loving crowd can very easily get used to (unlike Vimperator ). The community-based nature also allows infinite expansion of its commands. Somehow I feel that it will be bundled with the next generation of Mozilla browser.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2009-04-19 at 14:59.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 09:16   Link #39
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Rather than start another thread, this seemed as good a place as any to mention today's report about updating to Internet Explorer 8. Those crafty folks at Microsoft have included an additional "feature" if you elect to install the IE8 update; it makes IE the default browser even if you have another one like Firefox or Opera selected.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16412...xplorer_8.html
Old 2009-05-04, 00:41   Link #40
mechabao

Eh, people are blowing that whole IE8 thing out of proportion. It's not like it stops you from choosing another browser as default anyway.
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browsers, firefox, ie8, opera