AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 140 25.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 154 28.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 133 24.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 82 15.07%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 4.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.18%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.18%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.37%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-03, 05:36   Link #441
haegar
mangaviking

I can relate to some of the points you raised D, but give it a couple of months ... so far I still trust Yagi to pull this back into the original feeling/mood sooner or later...albeit surely in an excitingly new and different way XD ... there is a lot of characters who could be in for major changes rather soon, don't forget that ...
Old 2010-04-03, 06:02   Link #442
zato_1one

I feel that it is in a transition period of the plot. That's why it is not the same as the first part. The Abyssal Era is already end. And after that it should be clearer about what the plot will lead to.
Old 2010-04-03, 09:46   Link #443
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=158

I can understand your frustration totally Weird D - more and more, the story seems to be gearing more towards action, at the expense of story. I second what Zato and Haeger said about the story returning to the original mood sooner or later....preferably sooner.
Old 2010-04-03, 10:24   Link #444
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I feel that it is in a transition period of the plot. That's why it is not the same as the first part. The Abyssal Era is already end. And after that it should be clearer about what the plot will lead to.
Agreed.

Yagi just brought the ghost out of hiding as the transition period was about to go into full swing, not after the world has changed. We had almost 20 chapters with all but no fighting. Sure there was Isley vs Luciela's fight but that was way to short and underdone mostly banter, 3 ABs beating up 4 warriors and then the ghost saved the day between panels, 3+5 vs Riful... how one sided can you get, Agatha (mostly dialog with some real fighting), Clare's group vs 1AB vs 3 warriors and MiB... even more one sided, Dietrich getting her butt saved, and final Isley's death (mostly Isley's final thoughts and explanations of the AFs. So when you get down to it, it was mostly dialog with some fighting every now and then, however now were having a run that is so far 10 chapters of fighting with very few bits of real dialog.

Starting with the introduction of the AFs the world of Claymore started to introduce us to a brave new world. I'm not saying the transition has been perfect but we've all seen the end of the Abyssal Era for some time. The next big three appear to be Priscilla, The Destroyer, and Raki () but we will see with the later entry since after all they just might use him to make the next big 3. We should start to see Clare, Miria, Miata, and maybe a few others starting to reach the level of a number one warrior soon (or have it revealed that they were already at that level). However the discrepancy in terms of power is just as vast, if not greater, as it was when Clare first learned of the Abyssal Ones. Lets face it since the AOs didn't gain a more powers during the seven years and ghosts were training everyday to get strong enough to have a chance against them (even though they didn't seem quite there yet). Point being if the Era hadn't changed the ghosts would have had hope so Yagi is just pulling the rug out from under the protagonists to remove any chance of hope they might have seemingly had.

I'm I sad that the era of the Abyssals is over... no. I'm I sad to see them gone, kinda. Was Riful a very developed character who died, yes. Could Isley have been more developed, YES... and so could have Flora, Undine, Veronica, Rigardo, Teresa, Irene, Sophia, Noel, Jean, Riful, etc (you get the point)...Every one of them had lots of plot potential still left in there character but still dying just when you think that character is about to become important is what make Claymore so awesome, death can come at any time to anyone. It's just the way it is in Claymore. It's not glorified and in the end death comes to all.

Riful made many, many mistakes that lead to her death and so did Isley. Isley got soft like Teresa and Riful put to much faith in her plan while focusing on it to the exclusion of the events around her. I personally will miss both of them especially since I'm not sure Priscilla is as cool of a villain as them (especially since the Destroyer is just a mindless monster who has a built in expiration date). However only time will tell what yagi does with her... I personally want Priscilla to be less bad ass all the time and have some more of the girl she was shine through at time. In other words, I want the scent Clare has to effect Priscilla soon... after all she's the bloody source so why Priscilla acting like she's not affected by it now. Priscilla can be as bad ass as she wants away from Raki and Clare but near them she should act more human. Thus adding to her character and showing us why she is so hell bent on chasing either them down... she just wants to feel human again. However Raki is about to become something new thus likely terminating the relationship she had with him and Clare will always try to kill Priscilla thus making Priscilla tortured by the knowledge that she knows who can help her but knowing it will never happen. Going down that route will really add tons of depth to Priscilla. I just hope yagi has something awesome planned with her... badass is fine but even our last 2 major badasses, Teresa and Isley, had other sides. I just want the same to be true for Priscilla.
Old 2010-04-06, 11:42   Link #445
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Personally, I'm still waiting to see more of Raki. We saw like half a chapter of him then he just kinda... disappeared? In any case, I am waiting patiently... I know Yagi will get to him eventually.
Old 2010-04-06, 11:48   Link #446
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Personally, I'm still waiting to see more of Raki. We saw like half a chapter of him then he just kinda... disappeared? In any case, I am waiting patiently... I know Yagi will get to him eventually.
This is to talk about the anime. If you want to know what happens after the end of the anime, read the manga and go to a manga topic to talk about it.
Old 2010-06-05, 19:43   Link #447
Bananawaffles

A lot of people have already written some pretty good reviews, some I like and some I don't quite agree with, so I'm going to keep it short and sweet.

I did NOT read the mange nor do I know anything about what happens in it or how the show deviates from it. This is from a purely anime point of view.

Overall I gave this show a 9/10. The OP was great and near the end of the show, when I finally listened to it (I usually skip OP and ED) I got hooked and had it stuck in my head for days. The rest of the music in the show was good and it did fit the period the show was set in, but it was way overused.

The best part of this show for me was the fact that it didn't use all the cliches from other animes. For instance, most shows have the protagonist as the most powerful or as having some secret power just waiting to be released, Claymore follows the worst one out of all 47. They also kill a lot of characters off, whether you want them to or not , which throws you for a loop the first few times it happens.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I thought episode 1-26 were all great... yes I enjoyed 20-26. The way people talk about it, I was expecting it to be terrible. It really isn't as bad as people say it is, it's an average ending.

If you want to see a show where girls finally kick some serious ass then this is a 100% must watch. Don't go in expecting it to be true to the manga in the end because you will be disappointed, just take it as its own show and enjoy.
Old 2010-06-06, 01:04   Link #448
Vantek
Asleep Being

Quote:
The best part of this show for me was the fact that it didn't use all the cliches from other animes. For instance, most shows have the protagonist as the most powerful or as having some secret power just waiting to be released, Claymore follows the worst one out of all 47. They also kill a lot of characters off, whether you want them to or not , which throws you for a loop the first few times it happens.
Hahaa, I know what you mean! I'm watching Bleach right now and I think 200 episodes in they still haven't killed A SINGLE good guy!!! Even the enemies are usually just beaten up badly and then they change their ways! Sheesh! Claymore was so good...
Old 2010-06-06, 17:00   Link #449
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

What was great is that you didn't learn that Clare was 47 until later on. You always thought she was the strongest and all. It just boggled your mind at just how strong other Claymores could be.
Old 2010-06-10, 06:38   Link #450
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantek View Post
Hahaa, I know what you mean! I'm watching Bleach right now and I think 200 episodes in they still haven't killed A SINGLE good guy!!! Even the enemies are usually just beaten up badly and then they change their ways! Sheesh! Claymore was so good...
Don't even mention it, actually now all bad guys have fallen dead like rain while goodies are alive dispite missing half of body or something -_-
Hack, even powerhouse Aizen who is almost same Priscila, had killed no one! Makes you appricate Priscila more, despite being the most disliked character by me in series.

Characters constant deaths was the main thing that immediately got my attention and the fact that you can't predict who will die. Take same North War, who would have thought that Yuma who had lost her hand in first fight and was all messed up would be the one to survive. I bet that a lot of peolple had even forgotten her name some time later in that arc, because I did... feel bad for that since now she is one of my favorites

It was a long time sinc someone died in manga so far, wonder when Yagi will start another mascar attack on goodies.
Old 2010-08-26, 17:18   Link #451
alucard13mm

7.. mainly because they botched the ending so much.. will there be a 2nd season? if there is, i guess the ending is ok. if there isnt.. BOO.

btw.. has anyone noticed that claire's handler, Rubel, has similar glasses as Alucard from Hellsing? XD
Old 2010-09-06, 05:05   Link #452
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Claymore is like Berserk, with more boobs and less context. That is how I see this series. And in case you haven’t watched Berserk because the animation is bad, well, it’s your loss.

Claymore’s strong point is not its story, which to be frank is linear, straight-forward and ends in a rather open way. The basic premise is about fighting fire with fire and thus the monsters that plague humanity in this series are to be dealt by humans possessing monster abilities. It sounds interesting to build something around it but that only happens in terms of characterization amongst the cast and not in terms of world-building. So yeah, we have monsters and monster hunters and a Medieval-like world. If you expect anything more to it, you won’t get much. There will be very little info about why the world is as such. Where did the Yoma come from, where are the rest of the Claymores mentioned, what about the other organizations that are mentioned? The pacing of the story can easily be divided into short arc with each one having its own set of monsters and settings. Each one adds something to the whole, but as I said, it only does it in terms of characterization and not world-building.

In all, the story is average and ends openly (it even deviates from the manga it is based on) thus it gets less than the base (4).

Characters on the other hand are the meat of the series, as most of the selling point is their psychoanalysis and interaction with one another. Claire, the main heroine, begins as a heatless killing machine and along the way we get to see a lot about her which make her far more than a robot without will, following orders and going around killing things just because she was ordered to do it. The same can be said about most other main characters, such as the rest of the Claymores and that annoying sidekick Raki.

A thing to notice is that this series reverses gender roles. The Claymores are all women yet behave as brute males, while Raki is a guy and is a spineless idiot who is better fit as a daddy’s girl. Feels weird but it is not negative.
What does feel negative is the adversaries, the Yoma, who to the most part are just mooks that exist to be killed or generic bosses. And as I said we get very little about where do they come from. Not only that, but they don’t really feel like monsters most of the time. Rather they are shape shifting cannibals with too human behavior for the gruesome creatures they are supposed to be. Makes them look stupid.

But who cares about them, the story is about the Claymores, whose worst enemy ends up being their own selves, as they slowly all turn to Yoma themselves. Yes, nice idea to build something around it but since the story ends openly, it kinda ruins it. Plus Raki is an extremely annoying character, unable to be sympathetic to anyone. He is supposed to be the guy who reminds Claire that she is still human and make her have cozy feelings and such but ends up being a burden who the only thing he does is nagging, making unrealistic remarks, standing in the way, and generally causing more trouble than help. Supposed, that is what it means to be human but come on; monsters are eating alive people everyday and he wanted everybody to be a big happy family. This stops being humane and ends up being utter bullshit. If humans are so naive, then hail to the cunning cannibalistic Yoma.

In all, the main cast is interesting and gets lots of immersion but at the same time it is left without complete catharsis, the enemies outside the frenzied Claymores are cardboards, and Raki is an ass. Thus, they are a bit above average (6).

The art is very good as far as shapes and backgrounds go. High on detail with lots of filters and dark palette colors to transmit the feeling of a grim world overrun with dread and death.

I found the character figures rather unappealing, as the way the faces were drawn felt weird. Plus, all Claymores look too much alike because of their identical uniforms, weapons, hair color and eye color. Also the common Yoma are drawn too simplistic and human-like and it’s easy to see them just like brawn-skinned bandits with fangs.

Action scenes are also not that great. Although there is a lot of gore going around, most of it is limbs flying and fountains of blood gushing all over the place. Internal organ anatomy is way off. Most battles don’t last much either. Also, there practically very little actual animation to the fights as most slashes are nothing but frozen pictures with a silver line followed by over the top amounts of blood.

In all, the aesthetics are great but character figures are kinda identical and simple and there is very little actual animation going around for such a heavy on action series. Art gets the base (5).

Music themes are very good and fit with the mood of the series. The dialogues are also ok as long as they are about mission information and character immersion. All the rest are a mess. Just like in any retarded shounen, the characters will be talking for 10 minutes during battles, revealing all sorts of information their opponent would have no reason to know, especially when all they plan to do is just kill him. The Yoma again talk like simple bandits, the illiterate kind, and hardly have any filter to make them sound like the monsters they are supposed to be. Also, Paki’s moral speeches are unbearable, as he keeps saying the most out of place things all the time. He is not the voice or reason or the good angel sitting on the right side of the brutal Claymores. He is a retard with zero understanding of reality and that makes him sound unbearable.

In all, the music score is great but the dialogues are not. Sound gets the base (5).

I don’t find much replay value in this series, since the story is too linear, simple, ends openly and has Raki inside it. (3)
My enjoyment is also low (4), as the negatives outnumber the positives.

Average: 4.5/10
If this series had more animation, less retarded dialogues, a more complete world-building, and Raki would be dead from the first episode, then I would give it a 10.

SUGGESTION LIST
Berserk (same thing; only better)
12 Kingdoms (great world building)
Serei no Moribito (great characterization)
Sword of the Stranger (great fluent animation in battles)
Guin Saga (generic but has its charm)
Old 2010-09-08, 00:14   Link #453
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I'd give this series a 6/10. I enjoyed the action, Teresa, and more Teresa, but it finished way too early and some of the dialogue was rather grating.
Old 2010-09-21, 23:26   Link #454
Janbustamante

Send a message via Yahoo to Janbustamante
One of the best series ever. Though some says that it wasn't faithful to the manga series but still, Claymore is one of the best.

I love the musical score, the characters, the storyline is superb

Hope they will make a new season for Claymore.
Old 2010-09-22, 00:07   Link #455
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janbustamante View Post
One of the best series ever. Though some says that it wasn't faithful to the manga series but still, Claymore is one of the best.

I love the musical score, the characters, the storyline is superb

Hope they will make a new season for Claymore.
I love it when I don't have to explain to people the anime wasn't faithful to the manga.

I think we all want a season 2 that is faithful to the manga or else what's the point... It should also fix the end of season 1 I should stop at that before I get considered too greedy and inadvertently prevent a season 2 from happening

Looking forward to seeing you on the chapter threads and welcome to AS
Old 2010-12-07, 06:31   Link #456
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Since the anime is what first sparked my interest in everything Claymore, I give it a sound 10. Granted, many gripe about the way it deviates from the manga from episodes 20 on, and especially in the final 2 episodes, but just having the chance to see the characters from the manga animated and in color... leaves me in a forgiving mood.

Since having read the manga, instead of the anime growing tiresome to re-watch, I find it quite the opposite instead. I now notice more minute details I missed upon my first viewing, and can fully admire the character portrayals (excluding Raki, of course. )

My only regret is that due to the ending, the chances of a season two are pretty much nil.
Old 2010-12-10, 06:46   Link #457
Full Metal Paladin

Send a message via MSN to Full Metal Paladin
I loved the anime to pieces 10/10 from me i just got right into it has to be in my top 3
Old 2010-12-10, 10:25   Link #458
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Paladin View Post
I loved the anime to pieces 10/10 from me i just got right into it has to be in my top 3
Glad to hear it (voted 10 myself too ages back)! Have you considered reading the manga though... since no season 2 has been announced it's as close as you'll get to getting it.

If you want get into the manga fast I'd start with ch 50-54. Chapter 50 being the start of Pieta where the anime started to really diverge from the manga and chapter 54 being right after the first 3 ABs where the first major change happens in the fight (note there where little ones before it). Anyways the arc ends with ch 61 and is currently on ch 110... doing the math that means where at least 2 years ways from having enough material for season 2 and that doesn't included time to make it. Just a heads up the last 2 episodes never happened in the manga... so Clare never meet Priscilla in Pieta and Raki didn't find his way back to Clare there either (won't ruin the surprise if either happens in the manga at a later point).

Anyways I'd recommend you start from the beginning since as loyal as the anime was for the most part they cut tons of important detail and edited some important stuff. So it's still rewarding to read the manga (I'm and Anime>manga kinda guy myself and saw Claymore anime first too but with the Claymore the manga I just had to read it and wasn't disappointed even when I was reading what the anime already covered ). For example Irene better explains why she gave Clare the arm, Teresa mentions how she became a Claymore, Rubel doesn't explain to Raki about Claymore's becoming yoma, and best yet Raki isn't as much of a cry baby... there's other big changes too but I can't ruin all the surprises.

Please note the art work in the first 30 chapters was ok (up to end of Teresa's arc) and though it clearly got better with every chapter it wasn't until some where between Ophelia and Pieta that the art work just became amazing. So while there are even better drawn mangas out there Claymore is still one of the best so you're in for some amazing panels to feast your eyes on along with getting more story.
Old 2010-12-14, 10:40   Link #459
tomhaverford

I would probably give the manga series (so far) a solid 7.6 and the anime series a 6.5 (for obvious reasons). For the manga though i think they need to stop introducing so many new Claymores. I understand that there was that 7 year gap but man! they all dont need a role in the series, it just gets confusing with the numbering system and names etc. since most of them all look the same anyway (besides their haircuts). If it were me id just have the original lineup from Pieta going through and busting up the organization. Obviously Clare cant do too much right now, but my call is in the end they will end up destroying the organization and basically everyone will probably die except clare and raki, kind of like in Blue Gender.
Closed Thread