AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-03, 11:41   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Claymore - Speculation & Theories (for first time viewers)

This thread is aimed at first time viewers of Claymore and its purpose is to allow spoiler free speculation and theories to be aired. Having them in a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads. If you are knowledgeable of the manga and wish to speculate or discuss theories, then please do not post in this thread (use the Claymore Manga - English Translated Version , the Claymore Manga - Raw Japanese Version or the [Manga] Spoiler Venting Thread instead) and do not give away any spoilers in this thread!

Acceptable post topics
Personal theories, speculation, guesses and such. No spoiler tags required.
Posting magazine previews (such as from Animage). Spoiler tags required.

Unacceptable post topics
Any form of spoiler from Claymore manga.

Please make sure you use spoiler tags when making posts concerning the second topic above! Also provide where the source of such speculation come from if at all possible (i.e. "Animeage") and identify any spoiler tags with the use of the subject title (see the paragraph below how to do this). Untagged spoilers are risking a ban for the poster as will any unacceptable speculation or facts from the Claymore manga. Please use the Report button if you see any unmarked spoilers. Please be aware that reporting someone doesn't mean that they will be banned instantly. It's only if they repeatedly ignore such reminders several times will they then be banned. Use of the Report button is anonymous and it helps the Mods locate and deal with such problems in the fastest possible way.

If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read the BB Code FAQ.

Spoiler tag examples:

[spoiler] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler:

[spoiler=subject title] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler for subject title:

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous episodes.

Last edited by xris; 2007-05-03 at 14:17.
Old 2007-05-03, 21:42   Link #2
Joojoobees

Thank you for making this thread.

Now my personal theory. Raki will be the one to kill Claire in the end. Note that when a Claymore feels the need to die (because they are in danger of becoming a youma), they submit meekly to the sword of those they most care about. This was demonstrated in episode 2. Episode 4 demonstrated that Claire will ask someone to kill her and accept death as a human, rather than live as a youma.

Raki cannot defeat Claire, but he does not need to, as she will patiently wait for the death blow. In episode 2 it was demonstrated that the Claymore will not fight back. In episode 4 Claire kneeled with her sword in front of her, defenseless. As a result, Raki does not need to defeat Claire.

What Raki needs to do is come to an understanding that, when the time comes, he must kill her. That is what my (uninformed, but eerily accurate) prediction states: The climactic ending will be Raki killing Claire. To get to that ending the show must largely be about Raki's journey to understanding that he must kill Claire when she asks him to do so. Episode 2 showed Raki crying and pleading Claire not to kill her friend. Episode 4 showed Raki prefering to die himself rather than see Claire dead. This is the fundamental story of Claymore. <-- according to somebody who doesn't know.
Old 2007-05-07, 11:23   Link #3
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

They can just as easily die together....or even live on together.

Still, I think that the Claymore Org will put out some kind of order against Raki and Clare will have to defend him for a time against other Claymores. Of course then Raki will be taken away from her anyway...and she'll flip out.
Old 2007-05-07, 16:46   Link #4
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
I think that the Claymore Org will put out some kind of order against Raki and Clare will have to defend him for a time against other Claymores. Of course then Raki will be taken away from her anyway...and she'll flip out.
Hmm... I wouldn't have guessed that, but it does sound plausible. The Org captures Raki, and Claire has to rescue him from some castle.

Do you think the Org is actually trying to manufacture youma? This scenario sounds like they could be trying to push her over the edge.
Old 2007-05-07, 17:36   Link #5
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
They can just as easily die together....or even live on together.

Still, I think that the Claymore Org will put out some kind of order against Raki and Clare will have to defend him for a time against other Claymores. Of course then Raki will be taken away from her anyway...and she'll flip out.
exactally what i was thinking...in situations like this there is always the "righteous organization" with a sinister secret...at first we will see out heros happily smashing the intended target but its just a matter of time til something is dug up which will require them to be silenced by said organization ~ classic plot but im interested on how the whole ordeal is going to be pulled off :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-08, 12:17   Link #6
Anaglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
...but its just a matter of time til something is dug up which will require them to be silenced by said organization ~ classic plot but im interested on how the whole ordeal is going to be pulled off :3
I guess the obvious way would be they discover that the organisation is the one actually creating the yoma. Episode 5 could be taken as implying this.
Old 2007-05-08, 15:40   Link #7
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

When the 'righteous' tries to dabble with/control that which is inherently 'evil', they also become 'evil' by the virtue of they are the ones trying to manipulate they very evil they are suppose to oppose. Of course, all they can manage is manipulating mindless evil...

I'd love to see Raki bust out of whatever prison he gets himself into because of either his love for Clare (romantic or sibiling related) or he gets a sudden 'golden eye' moment, and does ownage on a few Claymores himself. ^^b
Old 2007-05-08, 17:42   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaglyph View Post
I guess the obvious way would be they discover that the organisation is the one actually creating the yoma. Episode 5 could be taken as implying this.
That scene in episode 5 could be taken as implying a lot of things. Creating yoma is only one of the things it might mean.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-09, 00:28   Link #9
Seska

Well, the Claymore's need "Exp Monsters" to gain stronger, don't you think? Even with a Snake at home, you need to buy living creatures to feed her.
Old 2007-05-09, 01:34   Link #10
Anaglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That scene in episode 5 could be taken as implying a lot of things. Creating yoma is only one of the things it might mean.
Indeed. It wasn't meant as a definitive statement or anything; just idle speculation that if they did choose to go that way then it's had foreshadowing. Hopefully things will be a little more subtle than that.

Either way though, I'll be surprised if the organisation isn't complicit in some way with the yoma problem - at the very least they seem to be doing quite well financially out of the situation. Then again, the series has already thrown up a few red herrings and twists so perhaps they have nothing but the noblest intentions. Yeah, right.
Old 2007-05-09, 01:48   Link #11
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Somehow I would be surprised if any large mysterious organization in an anime turned out to be philanthropic and benevolent.

But who knows, perhaps the fees are necessary to cover their operating and training expenses.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-09, 07:45   Link #12
Joojoobees

Quote:
Then again, the series has already thrown up a few red herrings and twists so perhaps they have nothing but the noblest intentions. Yeah, right.
That's a good point, they have subtly hinted that the organization is somewhat sinister, so perhaps that is just to mislead the viewers into thinking that the organization is somehow behind the youma problem, when actually they are putting all their effort into putting an end to them once and for all. They also seem to have implied that the Claymore themselves do not get any of the financial rewards for the work they do. Perhaps that is also a ruse.

Ho, ho! I just thought of this. Perhaps Claire is unique in not accepting the payment. The only other Claymore we have been able to observe, so far, is apparently her mentor. Perhaps Claymore typically get a cut of the money and are much better adjusted mentally than Claire and Theresa? Then it could be that the Organization is much more benign than we think (because we are viewing them mostly from the perspective of Claire).

Maybe most Claymore spend a lot of time back at the Organization's HQ, which has a pool, and brings in theater groups from all over to entertain the girls?
Old 2007-05-10, 11:02   Link #13
Kabitzin
1/3 of the Sea Slugs Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
That's a good point, they have subtly hinted that the organization is somewhat sinister, so perhaps that is just to mislead the viewers into thinking that the organization is somehow behind the youma problem, when actually they are putting all their effort into putting an end to them once and for all. They also seem to have implied that the Claymore themselves do not get any of the financial rewards for the work they do. Perhaps that is also a ruse.

Ho, ho! I just thought of this. Perhaps Claire is unique in not accepting the payment. The only other Claymore we have been able to observe, so far, is apparently her mentor. Perhaps Claymore typically get a cut of the money and are much better adjusted mentally than Claire and Theresa? Then it could be that the Organization is much more benign than we think (because we are viewing them mostly from the perspective of Claire).

Maybe most Claymore spend a lot of time back at the Organization's HQ, which has a pool, and brings in theater groups from all over to entertain the girls?
Several scenes in episode 5 also hint that the organization is not so nice. It seems like Claymore like to mention to the townspeople that if they do not pay the collector, a group of new Yoma will just happen to wander to the non-paying town and turn the town into an all-yoma-can-eat guts buffet. How would the Yoma know that a town didn't pay if the organization never told it?

Also, although the Claymore do not accept any payment directly from the townspeople, surely they get some kind of stipend. In episode 6, Teresa is able to buy a set of new clothing. She tells Clare not to worry since she can afford it. I am assuming that Teresa didn't go and pawn something to buy the outfit.

As for Claymore pool at HQ... it sounds nice in theory, but unless the girls are wearing one-piece bathing suits, it's implied that a pool scene would not be as hot and scandalous as you might like
Old 2007-05-10, 13:10   Link #14
Anaglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabitzin View Post
As for Claymore pool at HQ... it sounds nice in theory, but unless the girls are wearing one-piece bathing suits, it's implied that a pool scene would not be as hot and scandalous as you might like
I've been wondering what it is that could be hideous enough to offend the refined sensibilities of a bunch of bandits intent on rape. It's hard to imagine it being anything other than an anticlimax after this build up. A nasty scar isn't going to cut the mustard at this point.
Old 2007-05-10, 13:55   Link #15
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
I've been wondering what it is that could be hideous enough to offend the refined sensibilities of a bunch of bandits intent on rape. It's hard to imagine it being anything other than an anticlimax after this build up. A nasty scar isn't going to cut the mustard at this point.
Personally, unless she's got some kind of twisted youma face staring up at me from her stomach, I'd probably would have tried to get it on....^^; Granted, if it IS a face... :faints:

Give me a moment, I'll overcome the shock soon.
Old 2007-05-10, 14:53   Link #16
Child_of_Sierra

ah well, when I first encountered that scene I simply thought that maybe she manipulated her body to show a grotesque mish mash of human and yoma flesh or something. Just a trick to fool the bandits and discourage them from going after her without the need to fight. Until it is shown to the audience what a claymore's upperbody looks like I'll stick with my own interpretation.
Old 2007-05-10, 16:47   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Personally, unless she's got some kind of twisted youma face staring up at me from her stomach, I'd probably would have tried to get it on....^^; Granted, if it IS a face... :faints:
Well, that's what I have always imagined.

Old 2007-05-10, 19:36   Link #18
Anaglyph

Quote:
...some kind of twisted youma face staring up at me from her stomach...
Yeah, that'd probably do it. Ironically Clare's appearance just might have been improved by that horrible wound she received near the end of episode one.
Old 2007-05-10, 23:35   Link #19
Joojoobees

I was actually going to post my speculation that it is a youma face, but you guys beat me to it! :P
Old 2007-05-11, 01:21   Link #20
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Or maybe two youma faces. Each of her breast covered by the stretched and distorted face of a youma. Double-Ick.

Okay, now I'm just going for the gross out.

Closed Thread