Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-18, 06:22   Link #101
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Kind of like Monty Python.
What an insult, comparing this absolute dreck to one of the finest comedy troupes ever.

Nothing in the first seven minutes of this show (which was all I could stand before I had to turn it off) even remotely reminded of me of anything Monty Python, which I have watched since it first aired in 1969. Nor did it remind me of Ichigo Mashimaro, which is one of my favorites.

I'd say more, but I've wasted enough of my time on this garbage.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 06:28   Link #102
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Goddamit, I just can't watch the show as I feel it's gonna give me eye cancer. It's like watching digital anime subs back in the early 2000 all over again. Which, granted, is nostalgic, but isn't a time I want to go back to.

Any odds this is gonna see a 'real' release? Because at this rate I might not even finish 1 episode, let alone the 3 I force myself to see of every sub anime.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 06:41   Link #103
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Any odds this is gonna see a 'real' release? Because at this rate I might not even finish 1 episode, let alone the 3 I force myself to see of every sub anime.
Unlikely it's only airing on NicoNico after all I believe. I think I heard SeiZon is going to be the same way too

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 06:54   Link #104
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

SeiZon s2 too? Well !@#$!@#$%T^

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 07:04   Link #105
tsunade666

Is this only aired at the net so they can only do webrip? because the resolution is bad.... and is seizon will be the same as this? THE HELL!
Old 2012-07-18, 07:09   Link #106
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Well...that was a rather super-hero like opening....

I can see from previous comments that this is going to be an anime that's split down the middle between 'like' and 'dislike'.

For me, fan service is fan service, so that's one positive to keep me watching

The comedy is...eh. it puts a small smile on my face but it doesn't give me laughter like Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou did. I like the fact that they made a parody of Saint Seiya, so it makes me wonder if they'll be doing a different parody of an anime each episode.

I especially like Kanamori, she's nice to watch in every way
Old 2012-07-18, 07:29   Link #107
teja208
Critical fanboy

Great start, Saint Seya's theme was hilarious and fitting for the astronomical (?) club. Hopefully, we will get some other anime references later. I'm still not sure what to make of characters as this is just the first episode, but there are things I'm looking forwerd to for the next episode.

1. Noya's reaction after realizing he joined the wrong club. (This should be funny)
2. Other members' reaction when they found out about Noya's real gender. (and how)
3. The thing that prevents Itsuki from leaving the club.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 09:52   Link #108
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, I am happy that someone decided to take up this project, but ... umm ... well. Not really my cup of tea, I guess, but it may get better. Will keep trying for now.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:14   Link #109
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Unlikely it's only airing on NicoNico after all I believe. I think I heard SeiZon is going to be the same way too
Upotte was streaming-only before airing on Japanese TV.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:03   Link #110
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

Wow, Ugh, Blah!

Is Haruhi so old that the time has come to poorly write copy-cat stories? This show is working really hard to be a Haruhi clone and failing badly. It isn't funny, nor cute, nor full of interesting characters who I want to know more about. It takes everything that was great about Haruhi, blends it up with vapid moe, and spits it out through an extreme otaku fan-boy lens.

Surely anime studios could be producing something... else.... What an embarrassment!

Oh, and please don't soil Monty Python by comparing anything in this dreadful show to it.
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:39   Link #111
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecat View Post
Is Haruhi so old that the time has come to poorly write copy-cat stories? This show is working really hard to be a Haruhi clone and failing badly. It isn't funny, nor cute, nor full of interesting characters who I want to know more about. It takes everything that was great about Haruhi, blends it up with vapid moe, and spits it out through an extreme otaku fan-boy lens.

Surely anime studios could be producing something... else.... What an embarrassment!

Oh, and please don't soil Monty Python by comparing anything in this dreadful show to it.
How is this a Haruhi clone? I don't really see anything in it that reminds me of that.

It's more reminiscent of Seitokai no Ichizon, which makes sense, since the art for both Sni and Ebiten are done by the same guy.
Old 2012-07-18, 13:18   Link #112
Lukeman1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecat View Post

I.......don't really see the resemblance to Haruhi. Care to clarify?
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 14:09   Link #113
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
How is this a Haruhi clone? I don't really see anything in it that reminds me of that.
One of the character from both series have the same name but that's about it.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 15:24   Link #114
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
What an insult, comparing this absolute dreck to one of the finest comedy troupes ever. Nothing in the first seven minutes of this show (which was all I could stand before I had to turn it off) even remotely reminded of me of anything Monty Python, which I have watched since it first aired in 1969. Nor did it remind me of Ichigo Mashimaro, which is one of my favorites. I'd say more, but I've wasted enough of my time on this garbage.
Why such strong feelings? When the world "insult" appears, clearly more is involved than just reason. But you do make me question my own taste. So I will be watching even more closely as the series progresses.

In fact, I did rewatch the first seven minutes closely, and continue to see lots of amusing stuff in a style of humour I regard as subtle and deep, for all the broadness involved. Then I rewatched some Monty Python sketches. The settings are different. The direct relation to society and politics is different. But the style of humour seems similar to me: set up a situation in which certain things are expectable, then completely trash the expectations with absurdity, blaring forth human folly and weakness in a way that lets us sympathize rather than condemn. This show has its nasty elements, but perhaps nasty doesn't bother me as much as it does others?

Anyway, thanks for being provocative (or provoked?).
Spoiler for things I liked in the first seven minutes:

By the way, one of my favorite Monty Python sketches is The Architect Sketch, where (as you know) an architect played by John Cleese appears in front of a board to pitch his design for a new apartment building.
Spoiler for punch line:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-07-18 at 15:45.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 15:24   Link #115
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'm wondering how enjoyable this could possibly be to anyone not familiar with Saint Saya considering a good portion of the episode was a parody of it (how appropriate considering the fujoshi crowd behind it!) special mention to the reverbed voice overs.

It feels like I've lost a few braincells watching it though,so not sure I'll keep going,we'll see.

edit: Monty Python always liked to include a nice dose of social critics that are completely absent here,they don't do absurd just for the sake of it there's generally something deeper behind it.If (i 'd like to insist on the "if" part) there's a show somewhat similar to monty python this season it's Jinrui,not this one.
Old 2012-07-18, 15:30   Link #116
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I guess it goes to show that comedy really is a hit or miss proposition. Didn't have many chuckles if any while watching the first episode. Think using Seitokai no Ichizon's opening music for the trailer forced some comparisons and on that note don't think Ebiten came anywhere close. Though it's only one episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
SeiZon s2 too? Well !@#$!@#$%T^
That's the worst news I've heard all day. Let's hope that's completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
I.......don't really see the resemblance to Haruhi. Care to clarify?
About the only thing I could pick out was the forced stripping of a female club member.
Old 2012-07-18, 15:48   Link #117
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm wondering how enjoyable this could possibly be to anyone not familiar with Saint Saya considering a good portion of the episode was a parody of it (how appropriate considering the fujoshi crowd behind it!) special mention to the reverbed voice overs. It feels like I've lost a few braincells watching it though,so not sure I'll keep going,we'll see.

edit: Monty Python always liked to include a nice dose of social critics that are completely absent here,they don't do absurd just for the sake of it there's generally something deeper behind it.If (i 'd like to insist on the "if" part) there's a show somewhat similar to monty python this season it's Jinrui,not this one.
1. I'm not particularly familiar with Saint Seiya. Just watched parts of a couple of episodes. The contrast between the overblown grandeur of the characters and the silliness of the real students is there whether you know the original or not.

2. The idea that that piece of crap Jinrui is anything like Monty Python seems utterly mistaken to me. Lol. Anyway, I think that surface things like social criticism do not necessarily constitute "depth." Human emotions and psychology are deeper. In any case, I can see at least one bit of social criticism here, in the way our babe in the woods accepts the violence around him.

No two people have the same sense of humour, as FlareKnight suggests.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 16:28   Link #118
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
The idea that that piece of crap Jinrui is anything like Monty Python seems utterly mistaken to me. Lol. Anyway, I think that surface things like social criticism do not necessarily constitute "depth." Human emotions and psychology are deeper. In any case, I can see at least one bit of social criticism here, in the way our babe in the woods accepts the violence around him.
I didn't mean to say that because something has social criticism is automaticly better than something that doesn't,sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Quote:
No two people have the same sense of humour, as FlareKnight suggests.
Well of course,I just want to make it clear that just because I don't really see any monty python in this it doesn't mean consider Ebiten trash.
Old 2012-07-18, 17:40   Link #119
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't see anything remotely Monty Python in this, but I also don't consider it trash. I think for many (including myself) MP is such an icon that it can be quite personal to see it compared to something we actively dislike. That's not the case for me here, but I can understand it.

Comedy is indeed the most personal of all tastes in anime. For me Jinrui is so far and away the best show in this season of formula romances, cute girls shows and mindless sex comedies that it's hard to imagine how anyone could feel differently. Yet feel differently they do, and when it comes to comedy there's n accounting for tastes.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 17:50   Link #120
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
2. The idea that that piece of crap Jinrui is anything like Monty Python seems utterly mistaken to me. Lol. Anyway, I think that surface things like social criticism do not necessarily constitute "depth." Human emotions and psychology are deeper. In any case, I can see at least one bit of social criticism here, in the way our babe in the woods accepts the violence around him.
Hey now! Why such strong feelings? And as neutral as I like to stay, you're wrong about Jinrui. I like giving things credit where they earn it. Try as I might, my opinion will remain subjective, let's get that out of the way. But, Jinrui is a good show and indeed more similar to Monty Python than the show this thread is about.

Tags
romantic comedy, seinen