AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku!! (2nd Season) - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 20 40.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 38.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 10.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 6.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-23, 16:02   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Hayate no Gotoku!! (2nd Season) - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hayate no Gotoku!! (2nd Season), Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-04-24, 00:06   Link #2
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Can't wait to see this episode :x
If I remember correctly, this episode is the Valentine's arc, right ?

Old 2009-04-24, 04:34   Link #3
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
If I remember correctly, this episode is the Valentine's arc, right ?
Yup, according to the preview over at http://hayatenogotoku.com/jikai/index.html , we'll finally get to see the Valentine's arc being animated
Old 2009-04-24, 09:59   Link #4
Mentar
Banned

Well, the main importance of the Valentine Day arc is that it's a vital prerequisite which lays the groundwork for the later main arcs: The Lost Kitten arc with Hayate and Hamster, and the one all Hina-fans are waiting for, the Hina Birthday arc.

1) Finally Hina and Ayumu meet and get to know each other (key!)

2) Hina starts helping Ayumu in her pursuit of Hayate (fateful!)
Old 2009-04-24, 12:05   Link #5
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

awesome episode. having read the manga, it's nice to see this part come to (animated) life, at last. definitely my favorite of the four eps so far.

Spoiler for my notes on this episode:
Old 2009-04-24, 13:21   Link #6
xellos2099

I assume they skipped the part where :
Spoiler for scene:
Old 2009-04-24, 14:16   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I always loved this part of the manga for a bit more focus on Maria, especially in the love department. She's absolutely adorable when she acts like this, and because it's such a rare sight makes it all the more special. Shame i'm the only one who's mentioned about her so far. No Maria love.

Next episode starts what we manga readers want to see. Can't wait.
Old 2009-04-24, 14:30   Link #8
xellos2099

I just finish the raw too, it is a carbon copy of the original, so it is excellent. I was sooo looking forward to Maria's Phoenix chocolate lol.
Spoiler for scene:

Another thing, do anything think the small chocolate that Hina has in her pocket was intended for Hayate? The one whewre she say it is bitter.

AS for preview,
Spoiler for scene:
Old 2009-04-24, 14:43   Link #9
Fandal

Spoiler:
Old 2009-04-24, 14:43   Link #10
Mentar
Banned

Okay, this time I'll have to pull the 9 (a rating I'm very stingy with). Everything fit together perfectly well. I said it before, but I'll repeat it again: All earlier pre-season bitching notwithstanding, J.C.Staff is doing a _great_ job converting the manga source.

A 9 since it was a good episode with _alot_ of meat and lasting impact. We get important character development for Ayumu, Hina, Miki, Maria AND Hayate. The Hayate-Ayumu and Hina-Ayumu scenes were golden and pretty touching, and the whole second half with Maria was totally hilarious. I found it very refreshing to see particularly the mature and controlled Maria totally shaken out of her usual routine ^_^

The foundation is laid. Finally Hina and Hamster meet, and it's been a nice way to start their friendship. Ayumu scores some major points with me for trying, and trying hard. Hina scores points by her willingness to help and also to step back in order not to dilute Ayumu's efforts (think the small chocolate she obviously picked for Hayate, 'scuse me, Ayasaki-kun, in my eyes a peace offering). We're even being treated to a bit of cute development in the Miki-Hina department. And heck, the way they animated Hina terrorizing 3 boys in the past was just too cute for words.

Finally Maria. This episode officially raises her flag in the Hayate competition, and it did so both in a fairly instructive way (Maria's prodigy life DID stunt her emotional growth in the love area) as also in a very hilarious choco competition.

Was the whole episode screaming funny? No. But we're seeing how finally relationships are built and refined in a way which does NOT forget everything at the end of the episode. Things are progressing and moving in a direction, they're not pointlessly flippering around like in S1. Which is why in my opinion, S2 continues to be vastly superior.

PS: Based on the preview frames, they will now go through one Nagi episode, which is the gateway to the Lost Kitten arc, again centered around Hina (and then, Ayumu). Nice pace!
Old 2009-04-24, 15:04   Link #11
xellos2099

Even a perfect maid like Maria wish to be loved as well.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:05   Link #12
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Maria.

Not much to else to add...As a Maria fan I was throughly satisfied with the episode.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-04-24, 17:00   Link #13
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Stupid MozillaFireFox.......................
---------------

You know, to be honest, I'm perfectly fine with Ayumu x... Let's go with + Hinagiku. They're the main reason I continue reading the manga anyways.
Hayate?...Let him be alone for the res-.......Anyways...

Spoiler for ep4:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-04-24, 17:24   Link #14
Mentar
Banned

No need for spoilers, this is an episode thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Hmm? Weren't Ayumu and Hinagiku shown together at the end of the 1st season?...
I thought this was a continuation with a new studio, but it's actually more of a remake...?
You're talking about episode 52 from S1. The thing is: This episode was a "recap in the future" - S1 totally messed up the timeline already, but even the manga is making crazy time jumps here.

This is gonna get a bit confusing now, but I can't help it. Currently the anime has just finished manga chapter 67. Episode 52/S1 contained manga chapter 85, BUT this was a special episode out of the real timeline. Seen in the "real" timeline, episode 52/S1 happens around manga chapter 213.

Since I may not post future spoilers here, I'll take the rest to PM.
Old 2009-04-24, 18:25   Link #15
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
No need for spoilers, this is an episode thread...
I know, but used to it, so I tend to put them under tags anyways...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-04-24, 20:42   Link #16
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
LOL is "Ayasaki-kun" permanent now
Now I know why Hina keeps Miki in the student council... she has the best insight of her and Hina KNOWS it

Think this was the best episode so far for me this season, mainly coz the second half of the ep was given to Maria-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos2099 View Post
I assume they skipped the part where :
Spoiler for scene:
Aww sh*t, didn't see anything like this . I guess it was skipped then. Might have to pick up the manga now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
She's absolutely adorable when she acts like this, and because it's such a rare sight makes it all the more special. Shame i'm the only one who's mentioned about her so far. No Maria love.
I love seeing her like this. It was adorable AND hilarious.
And don't worry, you're not on you're own. Maria-san has been may fav since day 1
... and I'm the one who's been bitching and moaning these past 2 years during Saimoe, coz Maria's been block-shafted TWO YEARS IN A ROW! Hopefully she'll have better block-luck this year.
But yeah, I agree we're hearing all the Maria love a bit too late

Quote:
- Hina's "bittersweet" comment
Lucky she mumbled, wonder what would've happened if a black guy happened to walk pass

禁則事項です
Old 2009-04-25, 11:22   Link #17
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Is it just me, or are they adding more variations to the music ? I don't think I have heard the beginning background music, where Hayate is asking Maria about the sign on the kitchen's door. .

Spoiler:

Quote:
1) Finally Hina and Ayumu meet and get to know each other (key!)
I thought they have met each other b4 in season 1 ? Oh wait, the timeline is kinda messed up because of the randomness in season 1 ;_;

Last edited by Von Himmel; 2009-04-25 at 11:35.
Old 2009-04-25, 14:45   Link #18
chinaboat

This was my least favorite of the four. I know that it follows the manga very closely but to me it appears as a descent into "hi-skul hijinxs": (Announcer) "Tonight on Hayate the Combat Butler: While Hina and Ayumu stay strictly in character offering no suprises, Nagi, who has no practical skills whatsoever, tries to make Valentine chocolate for Hayate - general hilarity ensues. That's tonight on Hayate no Gotoku."

What has been referred to as "filler material" from S1 appeared to me as the almost always funny and occasionally brilliant use of the anime form to create anime parodies, over 50% of which I know I'm not getting, that weren't possible to do in the print medium of a manga. I mean "In the name of money, I will punish you!" could not possibly be as funny in the manga as it was in the anime nor could any of the full color versions of the mecha or the hidden anime studio.

For a Valentine show I was expecting something along the lines of a anime style death match between Nagi, Hinagiku, and Ayumu over who would give Hayate chocolate, since they all know of the others' fondness for him - or Tama eating all chocolate in evidence or at least stealing Hayate's and giving them to Klaus.

Based on precedents from S1 I would expect the ever cool Chiharu to explain to Hina about the chocolates from other girls or, better, the Student Council Trio to first tease her about them then harass her about having to eat them all but still keep an eye on her almost non-existent figure - instead, inexplicably, there was Miki in expository solo appearance. (Of course that eliminates the cost of two voices, but we won't think about that.)

feh

Leave the storyline to the manga, get rid of that ending song which was cute - once - but now is rapidly becoming annoying, and bring on the talking tigers, lame villains, and the outrageous anime, game and manga references even if I don't get them!

Last edited by chinaboat; 2009-04-25 at 15:17. Reason: clarity - grammar
Old 2009-04-25, 15:07   Link #19
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboat View Post
This was my least favorite of the four. I know that it follows the manga very closely but to me it appears as a descent into "hi-skul hijinxs". What has been referred to as "filler material" to me is brilliant use of the anime form to create anime parodies, 50% of which I know I'm not getting, that were impossible to do in the print medium of a manga.
One man's garbage is the other man's treasure.

Quote:
For a Valentine show I was expecting something along the lines of a anime style death match between Nagi, Hinagiku, and Ayumu over who would give Hayate chocolate, since they all know of the others fondness for him - or Tama stealing Hayate's chocolates and give them to Klaus.
And this in _my_ opinion is exactly the kind of chaff which is funny as an exception, but not as the rule. Thank god that THIS is over.

We'll still get enough funny parts, see the second half with Maria. But I am SO fed up with having mere caricatures of the true Hayate characters jump around like energizer bunnies creating exactly the kind of ballyhoo you seem to love.

Quote:
Leave the storyline to the manga, get rid of that ending song which was cute - once - but now is rapidly becoming annoying, and bring on the talking tigers, lame villains, and the outrageous anime, game and manga references even if I don't get them!
I have bad news for you, then: Won't happen, the way they're sticking close to the original source. Get used to it or find greener pastures. Or rewatch S1.
Old 2009-04-25, 15:58   Link #20
chinaboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
One man's garbage is the other man's treasure.

And this in _my_ opinion is exactly the kind of chaff which is funny as an exception, but not as the rule. Thank god that THIS is over.

I have bad news for you, then: Won't happen, the way they're sticking close to the original source. Get used to it or find greener pastures. Or rewatch S1.
My mistake, I believe, was to start reading the manga. I've never done that before if a highly recommended anime existed. If I hadn't read it then this would have been fresh and new. As a man once said about yesterday's newspaper, "If I haven't read it yet, it's still news to me."

But was HnG the anime created to ape a "slice of life" manga already in existence or to parody manga, anime and games? If it was the second then it would naturally follow that OAV, or CHAFF, would have to be created for parodies that couldn't be done on the printed page. It would seem the success of the original 52 episodes, filler and all, was somewhat crucial in obtaining the financing for these next 13 so they must have done something right.

Obviously, for whatever reason, JC Staff followed the manga. Equally obviously the two sides of comedy versus story issue can't agree. So, I'll just finish out the 13 'cause I do like the characters. But I'm not anticipating any more after this run is over - hope I'm wrong.
Closed Thread