Mullah Omar, headscarves and bizarre Afghan peace talks
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76E30C20110715
Old 2011-07-15, 10:39   Link #14822
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I apologies. The presentation I got at the local Jewish Community Center presented Zionism as those that wanted a "Greater Isreal" with the pre-1920s borders for Palestine under the British agreement to hand over the whole thing to the Jews should they win the First World War. Before the split that broke it into Palestine and Trans-Jordan.

Perhaps the term "real" should have been "radical" instead?
considering that the original division in the U.N (the 1947 one) was accepted by the Zionist movement even though it included even LESS territory then Israel has now, you need to talk to your local Jewish Community Center and ask them to stop spreading erroneous information.

the people who believe in the idea of "greater Israel" do so for religious rational, while Zionism, at least in its roots, was a secular ideology.
Old 2011-07-15, 11:27   Link #14823
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

As a (non-practicing) jew, I disagree completely with Zionism, and I won't apologise for it.

It is essentially nationalist, and the idea that the jews have some kind of "right" to Israel is as artificial as any other nationalist movement.

I don't think Zionism is any worse then any other nationalist movement, it just shares the same faults all other forms of Nationilism possess, being essentially exclusionary.

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2011-07-15 at 11:44.
Old 2011-07-15, 12:24   Link #14824
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The US arm of the Murdoch empire (Fox) was caught yesterday burying the story of its UK divisions (and possibly other divisions) in the hacking scandal. Fox News has essentially ignored the entire story and their News Media program hosts were captured in public feed deciding not to say anything about it (during a commercial break).

Meanwhile, some folks in the US (e.g. Hugh Grant) are starting to speak up about being hacked and FBI/Congress are starting to ask questions about US operations.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201107100009
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7641IO20110706
Old 2011-07-15, 12:51   Link #14825
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The gas platform that will be the world's biggest 'ship'
Old 2011-07-15, 12:58   Link #14826
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd like to see them build something like this built in orbit...a huge station, maybe with an engine.
Old 2011-07-15, 13:13   Link #14827
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The US arm of the Murdoch empire (Fox) was caught yesterday burying the story of its UK divisions (and possibly other divisions) in the hacking scandal. Fox News has essentially ignored the entire story and their News Media program hosts were captured in public feed deciding not to say anything about it (during a commercial break).

Meanwhile, some folks in the US (e.g. Hugh Grant) are starting to speak up about being hacked and FBI/Congress are starting to ask questions about US operations.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201107100009
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7641IO20110706
I would take this story more seriously if left-wing news outlets like mediamatters didn't make the scandal look tabloid with their ridiculous oversensationalism of it.

A multi-billionaire using their money to bribe officials and manipulate the news?
Shocker!
George Soros does the same thing.
Murdock and Soros are both guilty of this type of nonsense, so why is everyone on the left acting so surprised that Murdock is doing this?

The truth in this matter is that the majority of the media outlets in the world are owned by a handfull of people.
That these people use their influence through the media to push their personal agendas should be no surprise.

This is why I gave up on ALL the major media sources years ago, and use independent/alternative media whenever possible.
Old 2011-07-15, 13:23   Link #14828
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Murdock and Soros are both guilty of this type of nonsense, so why is everyone on the left acting so surprised that Murdock is doing this?
Because there's blood in the water, and the sharks are circling.
Old 2011-07-15, 14:35   Link #14829
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I would take this story more seriously if left-wing news outlets like mediamatters didn't make the scandal look tabloid with their ridiculous oversensationalism of it.

A multi-billionaire using their money to bribe officials and manipulate the news?
Shocker!
George Soros does the same thing.

The truth in this matter is that the majority of the media outlets in the world are owned by a handfull of people.
That these people use their influence through the media to push their personal agendas should be no surprise.

This is why I gave up on ALL the major media sources years ago, and use independent/alternative media whenever possible.
Interesting that you assume everyone noticing this story is "on the left"... (never mind the mis-characterization of mediamatters)
The trans-national corporation stories about the abuses of people and communities aren't "left-right" though it is useful for that handful of people to manipulate it that way.

Besides the *story* is that illegal phone tapping is apparently standard practice for the Murdoch empire and Murdoch's special corporate culture may finally cost him.
Old 2011-07-15, 15:01   Link #14830
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

In the UK, all the media outlets (left and right) are descending on the murdoch empire. About the only people who aren't are other tabloids...

As for the USA, I wouldn't view this as a left vs. right thing either. This scandal has the potential to really inflame conservatives, imagine how they'd feel if Fox News had wiretapped 9/11 victims? Not so Patriotic now are you?
Old 2011-07-15, 15:05   Link #14831
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My question would be...wiretapping for what? What purpose did all this serve? What was the point of it?
Old 2011-07-15, 15:12   Link #14832
flying ^

Quote:
My question would be...wiretapping for what? What purpose did all this serve? What was the point of it?
for the murdered 13 year old girl... it's simple
... to get more messages. the mailbox was full and they listened to all of them so they deleted a few to get more EXCLUSIVE info for the story. EXCLUSIVE story = headlines = $$$

They (NoTW) also hacked the voicemail at Buckingham Palace. That's where they screwed up and Scotland Yard caught on. It was that investigation that led to the murder victim stuff.
Old 2011-07-15, 15:21   Link #14833
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Anyone remember when the news was about reporting information and events?

And no I don't mean the time before sensationalism, because that has been around since before radio was invented.

That time probably never existed, since even in old movies they refer to some newspapers as "rags", probably unfit to burn in a fireplace.
Old 2011-07-15, 17:43   Link #14834
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Scoops.

Information is power.
Old 2011-07-15, 19:57   Link #14835
flying ^

Quote:
Media Matters for America is organized as a tax exempt 501(c)3 organization. Under IRS guidelines, they must abide by several rules to maintain this status. Specifically, 501(c)3 organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office.

i'm going to forward this form so they too can be investigated!

that site nothing more than left wing hit machine, that has abused it tax free status and should loose it!

the type of work they do IS NOT deserving of a tax exempt status!
Old 2011-07-15, 19:58   Link #14836
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
The gas platform that will be the world's biggest 'ship'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13709293

Spoiler:
Old 2011-07-15, 20:43   Link #14837
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Because there's blood money in the water, and the loan sharks are circling.
Fixed for better.

Bottoms up for Murdoch's credit worthiness in his advert space.

Quote:
To make their ad space more noticed with a larger readership, thus commanding a higher premium for ads.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-07-15, 22:06   Link #14838
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Venezuela's Chavez to go to Cuba for chemotherapy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76E6TI20110716
Someone could explain to me why he don't stay in Venezuela for taking his treatement ?
Old 2011-07-15, 22:17   Link #14839
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Because there's blood in the water, and the sharks are circling.
I understand that Solace, which is why I didn't criticize the Reuters article.
Because that one wasn't as over-the-top as the mediamorons one.

Quote:
Interesting that you assume everyone noticing this story is "on the left"... (never mind the mis-characterization of mediamatters)
I didn't say that Vexx.
I said: I would take this story more seriously if left-wing news outlets like mediamatters didn't make the scandal look tabloid with their ridiculous oversensationalism of it.

Most media outlets are damning Murdock to hell over this idiocy, and rightfully so.
However, that said, for mediamatters to start attacking Sly-as-a-Fox news for not reporting it is essentially the pot-calling-the-kettle-black since they don't report on George Soros' shady dealings in the media world.

If they did I'd take them seriously, but since they're one sided I see them as no different then FauxNews.

Quote:
Besides the *story* is that illegal phone tapping is apparently standard practice for the Murdoch empire and Murdoch's special corporate culture may finally cost him.
Mediamorons is using the story to attack FoxNews and nothing more.
FauxNews would do the same thing to Mediamatters is Soros were the one in trouble for the same thing.
They're two-sides of the same corrupt corporate coin.
Old 2011-07-15, 22:55   Link #14840
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13709293

Spoiler:
Sorry, but that story has already been posted.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...26#post3691826

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international