AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-08, 05:36   Link #301
Sides

Stuff Nintendo did not showed during their conference, but brought to E3 and was playable on the show-floor

Spoiler for Nintendo's Game & Wario:

Spoiler for Platinum games' Project P-100":

Spoiler for Namco bandai's "tank! tank! tank!":

Spoiler for Frozenbyte's Trine 2 DC:
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 02:23   Link #302
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

New details from a Nintendo Direct:

16:00 The presentation has begun! Iwata is behind a podium. This will be 20 min. Launch details. First, going over hardware details again.
16:02 Wii U supports full HD 1080p, uses a "GPGPU." Main mem: 1 GB. System: 1 GB. Total: 2GB.
16:03 Games use only 1 GB of main memory. System memory is for OS. Game discs 25 GB, 22.5 MB/s.
16:03 The Wii U consumes up to 75 watts of electricity. Typical power usage is 45 watts. Wii accessories can be used, as can Wii games.
16:04 You can import your Virtual Console and Wii Ware games from the Wii.
16:05 Reiterating the controller specifications now. Headphone jack is still on top. Why there?
16:07 You can play games, watch video on the Wii U GamePad. It features smooth, low latency.
16:08 In other words: you won't feel any lag on the controller's screen. Wii U has sold 96m units LTD.
16:09 Over 80% of Wii systems are in living rooms, causing conflicts over TV usage.
16:10 You can do multiplayer using a GamePad and several Wii remotes. Dual-screen play possible.
16:11 On controller screen: menus, maps, communication interface. Play without the TV possible. Miiverse is the system-level social network interface. You aren't the only one playing.
16:12 Miiverse is the system-level social network interface. You aren't the only one playing. Wii U software will be showcased at 11 pm Japan Time tonight. Now: NSMBU and NintendoLand.
16:13 NSMBU is the 1st Mario game to launch with a Nintendo system since N64. NSMBU is the 1st Mario game to launch with a Nintendo system since N64.
16:14 NSMBU and NintendoLand to go on sale on launch day, for ~6000 and ~5000 yen, respectively. Vertical stand, GamePad stand set to be available.
16:15 13,440 yen for Wii U GamePad when sold separately.
16:17 Black 32GB Premium Set, White 8GB Basic Set. Nintendo Network Premium provides points for purchases, 10% back on digital purchases. Runs through 12/2014.
16:18 Nintendo Network Premium runs through 12/2014. Premium includes controller stands. Wii accessories to NOT be included with the Wii U. Remote + nunchuk + bar set sold separately.
16:19 12/8 Premium: 31,500 yen. Basic: 26,250 yen.

NCL has announced an additional presentation by Satoru Iwata for Sep. 13th at 11 pm in Japan, covering the 1st and 3rd-party Wii U software lineup.

We are looking at $399.99 for the premium system, about $329.99 for the basic system, and $169.99 for a controller itself (guesses based on yen to USD conversions).
Old 2012-09-13, 02:34   Link #303
Westlo
Lets be reality

16:11 On controller screen: menus, maps, communication interface. Play without the TV possible.

That's pretty much my entire beef with this setup, they want to push the on controller screen as being such a unique feature (look @ the press for the Wii U AC3+ Darksiders 2...) but the moment you play without the TV it's all gone. Basically one of their strengths is diminished the moment you go to their other one.

Where is the incentive for 3rd parties to do something great with the additional screen when Nintendo push the "You don't need a TV" angle so much? It just conflicts imo. And seriously... most households that get a Wii U the first few years I'm sure have multiple tvs anyway..
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 03:05   Link #304
Sides

So I reckon that retail games for the incoming console generation will see a slight price increase, seeing how NSMBU is priced.

Surprise to me is probably the usage/push of GPGPU and that the system OS hogs up 1GB of memory. Looks like the rumours are right and that all next generation console engines will be more optimised for GPGPU.
Old 2012-09-13, 06:59   Link #305
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And seriously... most households that get a Wii U the first few years I'm sure have multiple tvs anyway..
I don't think so, especially in Japan. Most people live in small houses or apartments and prefer things that take little space. So they're unlikely to have room for two TVs.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:42   Link #306
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
LOL, Bayonetta 2 exclusive to Wii U.

Probably will stay exclusive, since Nintendo's publishing the game.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 10:12   Link #307
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

8 GB Wii U model will be $299.99 in the U.S. and the 32 GB Wii U model will be $349.99.

Nintendo has a new thing called Nintendo TVii ("Nintendo TV") and it looks pretty good. Allows you to choose TV shows, movies, and sports and watch them on TV. You can choose from your TV channels, Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video, as well as material from your DVR, and you can record content via Nintendo TVii.

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is coming to Wii U this November.
Old 2012-09-13, 10:27   Link #308
Sides

OMG, it comes with hdmi cable!
Old 2012-09-13, 10:28   Link #309
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post

Best news of the day imho.
It also comes with an HDMI cable, so like this is great. My old one broke, so I guess I'll just wait for this.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 10:34   Link #310
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Damn, it's gonna be a day 1 purchase for me now =03. I'm gonna need to save a hell of a lot of money for this one though =02.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 10:37   Link #311
Sides

So 2 wii u gamepads will be supported.
Monster Hunter 3U is probably a neat surprise, it is even coming out in europe! Hopefully MonHun 4 will follow soon.

Last edited by Sides; 2012-09-13 at 11:04.
Old 2012-09-13, 10:52   Link #312
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:

Crap, how much does a WiiU cost? Nintendo has forced my hands into looking into it now. This came out of left field to me.
Old 2012-09-13, 11:02   Link #313
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Regular Bundle: $300, premium bundle: $350
Most likely the same damn price for europe retailer, but in €...

I guess Nintendo will just dominate christmas period in Japan, considering MH bundle.
Old 2012-09-13, 11:07   Link #314
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Crap, how much does a WiiU cost? Nintendo has forced my hands into looking into it now. This came out of left field to me.

8 GB model (white) for $299.99. 32 GB model (black) for $349.99. These are U.S. prices. You can take a USB 2.0 external hard drive and use it with the Wii U for storage, btw.

I read on the Neogaf forums that you can boot games off of an external hard drive for Wii U. Does anyone know if this is true? Is it possible to boot games off of an external hard drive (USB 2.0) for PC?
Old 2012-09-13, 11:20   Link #315
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I read on the Neogaf forums that you can boot games off of an external hard drive for Wii U. Does anyone know if this is true? Is it possible to boot games off of an external hard drive (USB 2.0) for PC?
Well you can do that with steam, by installing the steam client on an external HDD, if that is what you are asking. But you should use a HDD with high transfer rate liken a7200rpm drive instead of the common storage solutions, that tend to feature 5400rpm drives.
But one thing is, Wii U might uses an own filesystem, see Dragons Quest X on the Wii.
Old 2012-09-13, 11:27   Link #316
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Well you can do that with steam, by installing the steam client on an external HDD, if that is what you are asking. But you should use a HDD with high transfer rate liken a7200rpm drive instead of the common storage solutions, that tend to feature 5400rpm drives.
But one thing is, Wii U might uses an own filesystem, see Dragons Quest X on the Wii.
So with 7200 RPM USB 2.0 hard drives, we should be able to play games on the Wii U off external hard drives? That is likely?
Old 2012-09-13, 11:55   Link #317
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
So with 7200 RPM USB 2.0 hard drives, we should be able to play games on the Wii U off external hard drives? That is likely?
No one can answered that at the moment, except for nintendo engineers.
Apparently the Wii U disc drive has a transfer speed of 22.5 MB/s, so I reckon if your HDD using usb2.0 can provide this kind of speed it should be fine. However i would advise people to wait for more information, before buying a drive specifically for the Wii U.
IIRC the Wii U, like the 3DS, will be able to run of eshop games from the SD slot as well.
Old 2012-09-13, 13:35   Link #318
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I just hope that Nintendo made it so that you can run modern games (Wii U, GCN HD releases) off of 7200 RPM external HDDs and SD cards with no lag and no stuttering. Play them as smoothly as if they were on the internal storage.

I expect Crunchyroll to go on Wii U. I hope it arrives sooner than later.
Old 2012-09-13, 14:13   Link #319
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

That's disappointing. The Wii U is looking better than the Wii ever did but still not good enough for me to consider one for now.

Btw does anyone know if the U will play Wii games? I'm guessing gamecube games are obviously out though.
Old 2012-09-13, 14:15   Link #320
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The compatibility has been confirmed before and during the conferences. No word for GC games.

Tags
nintendo