AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-19, 17:39   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

AnimeSuki Banner Contest 2009 - Entry Thread

Welcome to the 2009....
AnimeSuki Banner Contest!

Our banner contests always have a theme and in recent times we've given you the option of sticking to it or including our mascot in the entry. You will have the same options this time: the theme for this contest will be "Friendship/Family". In other words, your banner must: convey "Friendship/Family" to us, contain actual images or elements from anime/manga that relate to friends/family in some way, or include depictions of Kairin our mascot.

I'm going to ask that everyone submits (up to three) banners using the supplied gradient. In other words, one gradient for all, just as we have in past contests.

As usual, banners may contain anime artwork from any source, including your own art. They must be anime related and appropriate for our forum though. Feel free to use your imagination, but I will invalidate anything that I think doesn't fit the theme, unless it contains an image of Kairin of course! Hopefully we'll see lots of original artwork of our lovely mascot. Lastly, as NoSanninWa has said in the other contests:
Many people use fanarts in their banners and while we encourage you to ask the artist for permission many times this is just not possible even with the best googling skills. Consequently we wish all artists to know, if you see a banner that contains your fan-art and you haven’t given prior permission for its submission and would like its removal, please contact us.
If you want to know more about the previous contests, please look them up in the General Chat Thread Index.

Good Luck!

What happens next?
  • Submission Stage
    This will be the longest part of the contest. First, you will need to post your submissions in this thread, which is to be used for entries ONLY. The official start date is the opening of this thread. The closing date for submissions will be February 14th, 2009 (Midnight, UTC).
    Note: Any nominations in this thread will be ignored. However, you can (and we suggest you do) discuss with each other which banners you like, what works and what doesn't.

• Nomination Stage
    After this thread closes, a new thread will be created in which everyone will nominate their favorite banners. Nominations will run for another week, i.e. until February 21st, 2009 (Midnight, UTC) at which time the nomination thread will be closed.

• Vote Stage
    The 10 most popular banners will be selected from the Nomination Stage and put to a poll. Everyone who joined the forum before the contest started will be eligible to vote. The poll will close on February 28th (Midnight, UTC), after a week of voting.
    Note: Each contestant will only be listed once regardless of how many banners entered. Also, be aware that polls close automatically, so please check the poll for information concerning when it will close in your time-zone.

• Announcement of the Winners
    The three most popular banners will be put in a priority rotation at the top of our forum.

Terms and Conditions
  1. All entries must have Kairin or a Friends/Family theme.
  2. Banners are 760x100 and a maximum of 60KB in size.
  3. Banners must blend into the supplied gradient as it will form the background of the whole top bar.
  4. Entries must be static and in GIF, PNG or JPG format.
    No animations will be accepted in this contest.
  5. Each member may submit a maximum of 3 banners.
    If you submit more than three, you must specify which banners are to be used or we shall select the last three posted. Don't confuse me!
  6. Members will only have until February 14th, 2009 (Midnight, UTC) to create banners in this stage.
    You can also check World Time Server or Time Zone Converter to help you work out what time this is near you.
  7. We may disqualify any banner deemed to be offensive or inappropriate and as such reserve the right to veto any entry.
  8. All banners submitted shall become property of AnimeSuki and may be used now or in future years without asking your permission.

The Gradient -

A broader explanation of the Theme -

Since this theme might be confusing to some initially, I wanted to offer a more in depth commentary on it.

Essentially, the theme is about common bonds between family and friends. We're not looking for romantic love, instead we're looking for emotions like comfort, warmth, togetherness, that sort of thing. Love isn't discouraged, but it should be demonstrated in a way that can't be taken as romantic interest. Think of things like a parent and child hugging, a family picture, etc.

If there are any questions about if your source is acceptable or not, please feel free to post it here in the thread or ask me privately.

Keep in mind that I am trying to keep this theme very open. I will likely allow most sources as long as the entry doesn't require a leap of imagination to demonstrate the theme.

Two final notes -

This contest will be heavily moderated. Any attempts to stir up trouble will not be tolerated.

Also, I am fairly lenient on start and end dates (with the exception of poll ending dates of course). That being said, I will post a warning before closing each phase. I encourage anyone interested in competing to not wait until the last minute to submit entries. You will only increase your chances of not being allowed to progress to the Nomination Stage.

Let the contest begin!

Last edited by Solace; 2009-01-19 at 18:41. Reason: Clarifying dates
Old 2009-01-19, 17:40   Link #2
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

*****Contest Updates!*****

To help contestants with making sure the sides of their banners match up with the gradient, NightWish has created two pages that are useful for seeing how your banner would work with our two major forum colors: Blue and Default. Hopefully this helps everyone out.

How to test if your entry will fit properly: Just copy the link for your entry and paste it into the section called banner. Hit set and see the results!

Edit: I've changed the default background on the page so you only need to put the banners in now. ~NightWish

Edit: Instructions changed to reflect NightWish's changes to the test site. ~Solace

Last edited by Solace; 2009-01-31 at 07:28.
Old 2009-01-19, 17:41   Link #3
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

**one more reserved, just in case**
Old 2009-01-19, 17:50   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

And here I was getting interested (again) in my Rpg maker project.

Time to look for cute pictures then.
Old 2009-01-19, 19:13   Link #5
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
ooooooooooo, it's been a while since our last one. I definitely have to participate in this one.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2009-01-19, 20:27   Link #6
Vinak
Procrastinator

pretty cool
Old 2009-01-19, 20:27   Link #7
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Cool Okay a 2009 Banner Contest looking forward to it.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
Old 2009-01-19, 20:33   Link #8
Narona
Emotionless White Face

I wanna enter the contest
Old 2009-01-19, 20:39   Link #9
Faeyice
it's animal, unbelievable
*Graphic Designer

Heh, interesting theme to work with. I'm not sure if I'm going to end up entering or not, since I generally don't do well with stock images of more than one person.
Old 2009-01-19, 21:28   Link #10
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
im intrested... this might be tough with the gradiant
Old 2009-01-19, 21:31   Link #11
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Good luck to all participants
Old 2009-01-19, 21:33   Link #12
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Good luck to all participants ! Make some really perfect banners.
Old 2009-01-19, 21:37   Link #13
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Time to recycle another old banner entry!

At least it fits the theme...

Still a work in progress though...
Old 2009-01-19, 21:38   Link #14
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

In for duty .. If Solace still needed an entry collector
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-01-19, 21:51   Link #15
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Mystique, you see that banner at the top of the page?

Well, we're running a contest to design a new one! If you want to join in, or even just see what we might end up using, keep an eye on the Entry Thread in the Forum & Site Feedback forum.
Click the Dismiss on the right hand corner to dismiss this message.
Man... when i saw that, in colours and big sizes and all, I freaked out xD
"I've done nothing wrong!!" *hands up*
I know global messages exist, but wow, that was almost a 'pop-up ad snatching attention' worthy one' x.x

Anyways, the cookietrail led me here. Friendship and family sounds like a sweet theme, I think I'll merely be an observer since this is the first time I've heard Asuki run something like this and check out who Kairin is.
Good luck to the rest of you and have fun

So knowing there's a theme, last years one was of... freedom? Flight?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-01-19, 21:56   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Friendship-Family. That's a nice theme for the site.

Good luck guys!
Old 2009-01-19, 21:57   Link #17
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I know global messages exist, but wow, that was almost a 'pop-up ad snatching attention' worthy one' x.x
Well... The idea was to grab your attention. I guess it worked. Didn't mean to scare you though
Old 2009-01-19, 21:57   Link #18
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Reserving a spot on first page, this ought to be interesting.
Old 2009-01-19, 22:03   Link #19
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

So knowing there's a theme, last years one was of... freedom? Flight?
Almost, it was Sky ^^

Good Luck everyone! Please make us wonderful banners
Old 2009-01-19, 22:11   Link #20
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellychan View Post
Almost, it was Sky ^^

Good Luck everyone! Please make us wonderful banners
Thanks for the link
Think I'm beginning to catch on now.
- One the latest theme was done in 2007 (So Asuki gets a makeover every two years?)
- Two, the gradient this time is to be purple, so soon enough the colour scheme will change here a little too, huh

@ nightwish - well with the message freaking others out or not, it certainly caught our attention, so it did it's job

And the Kairin thread is really interesting, kinda nice to be submerged in talent when checking out some of the artwork there, hope it inspires more shy artists to have a try and show your stuff

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Closed Thread

Tags
banners, contest