AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 25 Rating
Perfect 10 133 39.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 81 24.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 8.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 2.99%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.90%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 32 9.58%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-29, 21:26   Link #1041
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I can't be more clearer than this...When you watch a series and it ends and you have that feeling of fulfillment and satisfaction, you can't do much better than that...Yeah the Love Triangle didn't get resolved fully but I think the truth of Alto's feeling were definatley humanized....The artistry of the fighting to the sonic elegance of the music was all great things to behold...They didn't try to give every little side character a personified ending to cater to everyone *code cough geass cough*, they just all did their parts and the story ended without having to sacrifice itself for them...But again what's important is that at the end of the road I thought MacF was great and felt like I was better off for having given it a shot...As Alto wisked around in his solo-flyer to meet the 2 hotties in his life, somehow it just felt right...
Old 2008-09-29, 21:29   Link #1042
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
snip.....

The good was pretty much the rest of the episode, the best being somewhere around the combination of songs sung in the later half whilst Macross Quarter and Battle Frontier duke it out with Battle Galaxy, and Macross Quarter rips Battle Galaxy several thousand new ones. That scene was fantastic. I loved it, and I'd watch it again.

snip.....
That was a very AWESOME seen indeed. Been re-watching 10 times already.

Mini-Daedalus Attack & NMC-sized Falcon Punch FTW!!!!
Old 2008-09-29, 21:33   Link #1043
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I can't be more clearer than this...When you watch a series and it ends and you have that feeling of fulfillment and satisfaction, you can't do much better than that...Yeah the Love Triangle didn't get resolved fully but I think the truth of Alto's feeling were definatley humanized....The artistry of the fighting to the sonic elegance of the music was all great things to behold...They didn't try to give every little side character a personified ending to cater to everyone *code cough geass cough*, they just all did their parts and the story ended without having to sacrifice itself for them...But again what's important is that at the end of the road I thought MacF was great and felt like I was better off for having given it a shot...As Alto wisked around in his solo-flyer to meet the 2 hotties in his life, somehow it just felt right...
See, I agree with you here. This series ended with so much booms and bangs that it really does the show total injustice by simply looking only at the triangle (and yes, I am aware I have made this similar mistake).

I think my brain orgasmed many times during this episode, it was pretty much everything I could hope for in a Macross episode. Large fleet battles (biggest I have yet seen), awesome dogfights, capitalship slugfest, with the absolute most awesome soundtrack in anime history up-to-date playing in the background like a form of marching music. That said, the end result is a mecha fanboy's dream come true, and something that will be utterly difficult to top in years to come.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was watching an expensive MTV broadcast.

On the other hand, Code Geass ended. Quite frankly though, the ending sucked hard. The allocated death(s) were pretty pointless. Quite a disappointment, especially after the awesomeness that is season I.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-29, 21:40   Link #1044
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I'm glad some people were satisfied. I however, was not. Not one aspect of this show ended in a satisfactory way for me. I've never been so underwhelmed by an ending episode to a season in my life.
Old 2008-09-29, 21:43   Link #1045
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I'm glad some people were satisfied. I however, was not. Not one aspect of this show ended in a satisfactory way for me. I've never been so underwhelmed by an ending episode to a season in my life.
*Shrug* I left with enough reasons to believe that Sheryl had won and Ranka is way behind. With that said, why bother having the official materials show us Alto x Sheryl mating sessions when there are overwhelming fan arts to cover that subject?

That said, yeah, I admit I am a bit let down, but not completely. When Ranka looked at Sheryl lacking confidence, declaring that she will challenge her, I think its more than obvious who won, and who is behind.

Besides, after vouching for the triangle so much, I had almost forgotten that the original purpose of Macross is... dogfights, missiles and gigantic space battles!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-29, 21:44   Link #1046
Seifall

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
Which I most likely did not read, so my bad for the clone.
You're pretty honest here
Don't worry, I'm used to it now

Quote:
I think when "homage" was first used into context, it was because people were referring to homage to HikaruxMisa (or if you want to extrapolate the past-past) and NOT the recent past (i.e. ranka). Now if your definition of homage does not share such context then that pretty much explains why you're not getting the attention you want for the "yo", yo.
Yes, I did it on purpose.
The homage with Alto and the salute which is like Hikaru's one is indeed pretty intense for most of people here since directly pointed towards the original serie.
The comparison here, is to be done since Sheryl since the beginning was compared to Misa by the major part of people, even Kawamori and Alto is a pilot like Hikaru...
But what bother me here, is that, why at the final episode , when the characters are supposed to find their own way, we still have this parallel between Misa/Sheryl and Alto/Hikaru ?
People talked about Hikaru and Misa's love which was directly showed throught this salute and how Hikaru confessed after that.
Some are making the link, in saying it will happen for Alto and Sheryl on the movie
OK, until here it works, but WHY did Kawamori do this homage with Alto and Ranka ?

Why I'm talking about an homage evn though it wasn't that much in the past ?!
Because this is a tribute to their real charcater without the need to put Minmei /Hikaru in .
We got to see Alto's sign , the same to the one in the 10 where he just blushed when Sheryl asked him to come say a word to Ranka because of the movie.
So in the final episode , he did it in the same way with the same meaning.
Encouraging her, saying he will be alright, saying he is there for her, or it's just a "yo" and thats all ( pretty unlikely since it's the same as the one in the 10 )... everybody can interpret it as they want but the fact is this isn't a parallel to THE past (SDF Macross, Misa/Hikaru) but to THEIR past (Frontier Alto/Ranka).
And I also talked about an EPIC HOMAGE because it was unnoticed...
Kawamori obviously did it on purpose since it was fast, and the thing with the screens and the ships was tacitly made for an explicit meaning.
This is why we were being tricked with this unresolved triangle.....
Which homage is stronger ?! The one which centers to the original serie or the one who focuses on the actual serie..

THAT'S THE QUESTION HERE ....
Old 2008-09-29, 22:12   Link #1047
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Gah. Please stop downplaying the Salute scene. Accept that Alto was saluting Sheryl. Considering how Alto's VF came over to Sheryl, I find it impossible how Ranka could see it from her distance, unless of course she has really good eyesight.

But *sigh* of course you won't listen.

@forgottendiary: Guess who this is?
Old 2008-09-29, 22:17   Link #1048
zalem

WTF? Considering Ranka's position I don't see how on earth it was a salute to her. I don't think she even saw it. Sheryl, on the other hand, clearly saw it and recognized it.
Old 2008-09-29, 22:18   Link #1049
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

MAN! WHat a tempest in a teapot!

That whole scene was clear and didn't declare any winner, but if y'all can't take off your respective goggles, then you'll see whatever those goggles show and nothing is stronger than an image coupled with a memory...

Alto had just said his goodbye to Ranka and before racing off to battle obviously felt the need to check in with Sheryl TO BALANCE OUT THE TRIANGLE, not to favor one over the other! So he flies over to Battle 25 and does the salute as a Kawamori homage to DYRL, but not explicitly to say Sheryl IS Misa. In doing so, they take "Artistic Liscense" and put the Mac 1/4 bridge in the background so that Ranka would be INCLUDED in the scene and it would be BALANCED.... but clearly, even WITH the artistic positioning of the 1/4's bridge in a place and at a size it couldn't have actually been in, they show Sheryl responding to show she'd SEEN it and was acknowledging Alto, but NO Ranka, having JUST seen Alto off and having a job to do, did not see the salute...

So Alto rockets off to do his deed on Grace, and the triangle is left behind in a fair even state, as a foreshadowing to the fact that Alto's going to troll us all and not make a choice.

Fair? Hell ya! Fun much? Hell hell ya! Digging this as one of the coolest interwoven homages to a show from over 2 decades ago? It doesn't get any better.... So stop bitchin' about it, and LOVE it peeps!
Old 2008-09-29, 22:20   Link #1050
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

@Seifall: Is it just me or are you digging up a canyon on the "greeting" to Ranka from Alto (episode 10), just so it could compete with the DYRL homage salute?
Old 2008-09-29, 22:20   Link #1051
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

@Seifall the "yo" homage you oh so conveniently pulled out of desperation to troll us is merely that, trolling material. All direct homages we've seen thus far have been within the same context as its predecessors. Given that, the fact that Alto was neither in a Valkyrie or heading off to battle in Ep 10... makes your "homage" nothing more than a half-arsed two fingered wave.

To further this I did comparisons.

How you can compare img1 to img2 and still say that img1 is a salute and homage is beyond me.

tbc...

Edit: Well considering its pointless to continue due to the mass majority of non ships putting down Seifall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
so basically the salute thing is all bacause Sheryl and Ranka screens are placed in opposite spots.
Sheryl's screen is facing space while Ranka's screen is facing toward the ship. Wow you are pretty observant Saifall. You could have saved a lot of if you had said that. I also missed the "yo" homage to Ranka. He only uses that for Ranka! Kawamori is a damn genius! the animators could have made it a little more obvious though. It takes a pretty observant person. I wonder why sheryl's fan didn't catch the "yo" homage to ranka, hmmmm!
If you're so quick use Seifall's logic as your own, I'm not surprised as to why people have trolled you in the past, I mean you're jumping the bandwagon again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
what we got here is a snafu in animation. not the first time it happens! you know, I don't hear a lot of comments about the "yo".
The animation team did mess up big time with the depth perception... and you didn't hear comments about the "yo" because it was nothing more than a mere greeting.

Don't become a troll...

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...

Last edited by TwilightHack; 2008-09-29 at 23:05.
Old 2008-09-29, 22:26   Link #1052
Seifall

@ralie , no actually I have to thanks my poor memory who didn't left me when I knew I saw this sign before...
So, if Alto just saluted Sheryl was it necessary to do the "yo" just right after doing so ?!
If Alto just saluted Sheryl, how is it that he did a sign which is prooved was already done before in front of Ranka ?!

And @Twilight I will not enter in this game...
You can take it one,three,four second before or after, the comparison is still here
Old 2008-09-29, 22:27   Link #1053
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Seifall is correct in as much as the salute was executed in the way that suited Alto's character... Whenever a character is created, in order to make them even slightly believable, you need to set up a visual language... ques that tell you you're seeing that person and they are consistent in their mannerisms. The "three fingered salute" was that way because that's how Alto tips his hat to others... its a minor trademark for him. But no, it's not a reference to anything further back in the series other than keeping the character the same from scene to scene.
Old 2008-09-29, 22:29   Link #1054
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
And @Twilight I will not enter in this game...
You can take it one,three,four second before or after, the comparison is still here
And don't play a game you can't keep up with. We all know you're trolling Sheryl ships and others alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Seifall is correct in as much as the salute was executed in the way that suited Alto's character... Whenever a character is created, in order to make them even slightly believable, you need to set up a visual language... ques that tell you you're seeing that person and they are consistent in their mannerisms. The "three fingered salute" was that way because that's how Alto tips his hat to others... its a minor trademark for him. But no, it's not a reference to anything further back in the series other than keeping the character the same from scene to scene.
But comparing the ep 10, peaceful setting, half-asrsed wave to the homage battle scene in a Valkyrie salute? You have got to be kidding me.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-09-29, 22:29   Link #1055
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

@Seifall: Oh boy. You have a classic case of delusional denial. =_=
Ranka got a greeting. It was not a homage. The real homage salute was the salute scene with Alto in a Valkyrie.
Old 2008-09-29, 22:32   Link #1056
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post

Do you not like chicks singing awesomely to mega-meta-physical, celestial-level, high-speed soopa mecha incredibleness?

Oooooooo, Sheryl...Meh, seemed to me like she's the unofficial winner from a realistic standpoint and the fact that Ranka cured her brain rabies gives me a feeling she'll never let Ranka win, but what I found that was interesting for this series is that the cliché' didn't prevail...If Ranka would have won that would have gone totally to script, so I was surprised that even in the end it seemed Sheryl's connection was more fleshed out an ultimately personified with actual moments of intimacy...So in the end I felt like it was a team effort in how they won and the final scene reflected the connection that all 3 of them have for one another, not just with Alto...
Old 2008-09-29, 22:35   Link #1057
Seifall

Before Alto saluted just sheryl and no way he did it with Ranka but now "Ranka got a greeting" ?
And people are now comparing Alto's sign from the 10 and the one from the final episode ?
So he really did salute her now ?!
Old 2008-09-29, 22:37   Link #1058
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
...But comparing the ep 10, peaceful setting, half-asrsed wave to the homage battle scene in a Valkyrie salute? You have got to be kidding me.

Kidding you? I'm often kidding people, but why would I be kidding you here? I just explained what is going on with the character in the scene. What are you questioning? I don't understand if you're confused or being combative... Please clarify.
Old 2008-09-29, 22:39   Link #1059
zalem

Um again, how was that a salute to Ranka when Ranka didn't even see it?

Christ, I even admit that there is no clear winner in the end. Triangular is played at the end for a reason. So no, I don't think Sheryl "won" the LT. But come on, let us recognize the salute at least for what it is. I am really, really shocked that people are not only ignoring the homage to DYRL (this whole damn series was full of them so it's not like it's unexpected) but also now saying the salute was to Ranka? o_O Talk about twisting things....
Old 2008-09-29, 22:40   Link #1060
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

@Seifall:

=_= ...

This is clearly going nowhere. So I'll just leave you alone.
---
Anyways, do you guys think Grace is dead? I for one do not believe it for a second. She is immortal! 8D