AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 9 15.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 27.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 28.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 20.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-28, 01:03   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Eden of the East - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Eden of the East, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-05-28, 11:13   Link #2
Weils

Spoiler for Episode 8 spoilers:
Old 2009-05-28, 11:19   Link #3
hyperviper

wow I can't wait for this. 4 more episodes! And then
Old 2009-05-28, 12:33   Link #4
~BC~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weils View Post
Spoiler for Episode 8 spoilers:
Interesting....

Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-28, 12:46   Link #5
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
Interesting....

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-28, 13:07   Link #6
~BC~

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-28, 13:31   Link #7
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode spoilers follow:

As golthin says, Saki will certainly stick with Akira, although I anticipate that there may be a moment of doubt sometime. I certainly hope the romance flourishes. Oosugi would be a fate worse than death for her, much as he loves her. The reverse is also true. He's conventional; she breaks the bounds, in her majime way. They would make each other's lives pretty uncomfortable. But Akira really is dangerous: he's too determined and good-hearted, and plays in a dangerous league.

It was interesting that (as I heard it) when Akira woke up and asked Saki if anyone else had been there in the apartment when she arrived, she hesitantly said no, probably wanting not to trouble him. But the scene she had witnessed must still oppress her, even if it doesn't affect her feeling for Akira.

Oosugi really is concerned for her, as you say. He was shown as utterly uncool in the first part of the episode, but his concern -- based on insufficient but real information -- shows at the end. Mixed with sharp jealousy, and inner joy that something may be wrong with Akira, of course.

It's another point in Saki's favor that it was she who came up with the idea of going to see the super-programmer Pantsu in Kyoto. She appears to often be the one who finds a way forward for the club.

Those who find the extreme capabilities of the various systems in this show off-putting will be further alienated by the Eden system's ability to identify anyone by just looking at them. Connected to the government's passport records? But with godly ability to recognize people from behind, lol.

By the way, Hayami Saori (Saki's seiyuu) turns 18 today (it's already Friday in Japan). This episode and her recent radio shows and songs confirm my opinion that she has the most beautiful voice in anime. Pick me up off the floor, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-28, 20:33   Link #8
Katsumara
The cake eater.

Agreed about Hayami Saori. She's has a gorgeous voice, and certainly fits Saki's character to a T.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-28, 20:45   Link #9
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Episode spoilers follow:

It was interesting that (as I heard it) when Akira woke up and asked Saki if anyone else had been there in the apartment when she arrived, she hesitantly said no, probably wanting not to trouble him. But the scene she had witnessed must still oppress her, even if it doesn't affect her feeling for Akira.
i have noticed that Saki lies a lot, she is not a very honest girl. I also doubt if Saki actually told the Gang all the details of how she met Akira. somebody mentioned that Oosugi might be concerned about Saki for what she told them, I am more inclined to believe he is more concerned about her for a LACK of information.
Old 2009-05-28, 20:46   Link #10
sikvod00

The writers are really piling on Ohsugi's character. As has already been said, the smart, NORMAL thing to do would be for him to dust himself off and move on, but that's also the boring thing to do, and it would totally remove him from the couple's world. I really want to know why they are doing this to him. Plot device maybe?

Last edited by sikvod00; 2009-05-28 at 20:56.
Old 2009-05-28, 20:51   Link #11
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
The writers are really piling on Ohsugi's character. As has already been said, the smart, NORMAL thing to do would be for him to dust himself off and move on, but that's also boring thing to do, and it would totally remove him from the couple's world. I really want to know why they are doing this to him. Plot device maybe?
somebody has to present Saki with the truth about Akira. she is blindly following the guy around like a lost dog. that is why Oosugi is digging information about Akira. Saki could have done the same thing that Oosugi is doing.
Old 2009-05-28, 21:02   Link #12
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
The writers are really piling on Ohsugi's character. As has already been said, the smart, NORMAL thing to do would be for him to dust himself off and move on, but that's also the boring thing to do, and it would totally remove him from the couple's world. I really want to know why they are doing this to him. Plot device maybe?
What are you talking about? The normal thing is to give his blessing and move on?
It is only a day or two after he discovered the newcomer. Is it normal to gives up a girl so easily? If he does so, probably he didn't care about her at all from the beginning.
Old 2009-05-28, 21:04   Link #13
~BC~

Quote:
i have noticed that Saki lies a lot, she is not a very honest girl. I also doubt if Saki actually told the Gang all the details of how she met Akira. somebody mentioned that Oosugi might be concerned about Saki for what she told them, I am more inclined to believe he is more concerned about her for a LACK of information.
Going by the dialogue in episode 6 I'd say she told them everything she knows. Hirasawa mentions about his nudity and memory loss and Onee makes a joke referring to Akira's penis as a .44 magnum (though that last part could be coincidental). She does seem to lie a little too easily though. I wonder if she's always been like that or if it's something she's only started since meeting Akira.
Old 2009-05-28, 21:11   Link #14
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
What are you talking about? The normal thing is to give his blessing and move on?
It is only a day or two after he discovered the newcomer. Is it normal to gives up a girl so easily? If he does so, probably he didn't care about her at all from the beginning.
It's not about Ohsugi giving Akira his blessings, it's about him realizing that Saki has absolutely NO romantic interest in him, to the point of almost not being aware of his existence unless they think he's about to get his Johnny cut off. It should be obvious to anyone by now how infatuated she is with her prince. Continually pursuing her after the fact would not only be an annoyance, it would be a disservice to him.

The story has also hinted that this unrequited love has been going on for a while, so I don't think it's fair to say he'd be giving up so easily. On the contrary, he's been trying way too hard.

Now I can understand him spying on them as friend, because Akira really is still a complete mystery, but that's a very awkward\dangerous position to put himself in; it's too easy to be being accused of jealousy. It would've been better if someone else did a check up.

EDIT: A comment overt at the RC blog reminded me of something. What makes Ohsugi's behavior this episode really bad is that Akira spent 1.5 billion and got injured trying to save him. Yes, Ohsugi has no way of knowing that but it still makes him appear ungrateful in the eyes of people who know...like Saki. Maybe that's what will set her off.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2009-05-28 at 21:22.
Old 2009-05-28, 21:21   Link #15
golthin

Quote:
^ It's not about Ohsugi giving Akira his blessings, it's about him realizing that Saki has absolutely NO romantic interest in him, to the point of almost not being aware of his existence unless they think he's about to get his Johnny cut off. It should be obvious to anyone by now how infatuated she is with her prince.
i wonder if Oosugi has yet asked her to go out with him or if he is expecting to crawl in her heart and eventually become a couple. I am more inclined to believe he has never asked Saki to become his girlfriend or properly tell her his in love with her, thus never giving Saki the chance to properly reject him. Saki doesn't seem to be the girl to come out bluntly and tell the guy that she doesn't have any romantic interest on him. I think that is why he was so shocked, because until know Saki had not been involved with any guy, so he thought he had time. Oosugi and the gang doesn't seem to know that the reason she has not had a boyfriend is because of her crush for her brother in law.
Old 2009-05-28, 21:27   Link #16
sikvod00

Quote:
Saki doesn't seem to be the girl to come out bluntly and tell the guy that she doesn't have any romantic interest on him. I think that is why he was so shocked, because until know Saki had not been involved with any guy, so he thought he had time.
That's a noob move, IMHO. It's always a mistake to assume that you have enough time with someone you like. Taking the initiative, male or female, is very important. Yeah, you may get rejected and yes, it may hurt like hell, but I think it generally spare you a lot of unnecessary grief and heartache in the end.
Old 2009-05-28, 22:17   Link #17
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
I would never use the word "lying" for what she does. I think of it as normal East Asian social courtesy, caring for the mental comfort of others. Of course, a certain amount of self-interested information control is involved in that, too. I have often noticed people referring to things like this in anime as "lying," when it seems pretty normal, and even praiseworthy, to me.

Your later phrase "lost dog" is also quite inaccurate, to me. He is a very attractive and interesting character. Is she not allowed to fall a bit in love? Do you have to compare her to a dog? She is just embarking on adult life and is very uncertain what to do: she doesn't like the paths that are available for her, and he offers promise of something better, for her and for others. Seems like an intelligent choice for her to stick with him and see what he does. You seem to me to be blind to all the things of strength and interest in her character. We shall see what develops in the next three episodes. Maybe I'm right about her, maybe I'm wrong.

She has known him for less than a week, and he has done nothing but be an exciting and gentlemanly companion. She might get around to investigating his past, but at the moment she doesn't have to, because that's what he is doing himself.

And it's clear that she and he told them quite a bit about their time together, as ~BC~ says. Maybe not everything, but more than I expected them to. There is something open and innocent about Akira, it seems to me. At least about Akira as he is now.

I find Oosugi, as his name implies, is really "too much." He's kind of over the top, both in his actions and in how the script is "piling on" him. But I don't blame him. Too bad he didn't take the hint earlier, but she could easily have been pretty indirect in rejecting him, trying to save his feelings. And since he feels such enmity for Akira, and sees that he could easily be a pretty shady character, it's reasonable for him to do all he can to find about him and avert any possible danger. In the end, I think it will just estrange him further from Saki, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-28, 23:15   Link #18
Tale

The young gang around Akira see him with hope and doubts: is he our messiah (prince?) or false one?, which is well represented by the contrast between Oasis song and the texts at the opening.

Related with this, Saki is not only following him but also with the intention of watching him. Saki talks to herself before entering the "nest" of Itazu after Micchon passed to her the instruction from Hirosawa, "Checking mail is not enough, I have to check out what the cell phone should be."

Overall, I think relationship among characters and their motives are well presented till this episode, including very likely doubts to "Akira" from Oosugi, who seems to respect sensibility over dream/romanticism, with which Saki doesn't seem to be happy. I guess I agree with Kaoru Chujo, here.
Old 2009-05-29, 06:27   Link #19
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

when I was rewatching episode 3 a few days ago, I had a hunch Akira took Kondo's phone at his death-scene.

Otherwise I've found it a bit odd, Akira dreamed about Diana having wings and flying out with a "hostage", despite that in the "reality" he was unconscious at the time it was happening, so he shouldn't have been influenced by such an event.
Going to wait on the subtitles now to understand everything.
Old 2009-05-29, 07:53   Link #20
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

I wish Oosugi had his Johnny cut off. Waste of a person. As people said before, he is just to conventional for Saki. He follows the rules while she doesn't really know what to do...

I hope he gets killed off by a Selaceo for some reason...