AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-01, 23:17   Link #1
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Turks and Caicos moves to join Canada.

I was browsing a number of Canadian news sites today and came across an article of particular interest. What makes it so distinct is it's subject matter, a small nation of tropical islands is interested in becoming part of Canada. More so, while it has seen some set backs, the effort to do so has been an ongoing endevour for roughly the last 100 years.

http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/article_676.html

Personally, while I have concerns over a possible union (taxes, more financial scandels, etc.) the idea of being a Canadian and having an accessable tropical destination to vacation at is quite appealing. A union between our two countries has been looked at before and almost happened in the late '80s. Unfortunately in 1988 after an election and change of government, the proposal was rejected by the Turks and Caicos islands. Now, 16 years later, the proposal has come up again.

Some information about the islands:
CIA data - http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/tk.html
Turks and Caicos Tourism site* - http://www.turksandcaicostourism.com/
*I recommend watching the QuickTime video linked to at the bottom of the site.

So, what are people's thoughts on Canada gaining an eleventh province or a fourth territory in the Bahamas?

Last edited by Mr_Paper; 2004-08-02 at 00:22. Reason: Accursed typos...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 23:23   Link #2
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I don't really mind... I think it's going to be nice to have tropical islands part of Canada... now people can't diss us about not having any nice beaches... it's going to interesting if this does happen...
Old 2004-08-02, 01:16   Link #3
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Canada has already too much land, but it would be nice if they had another island to add to its huge collection.
Would canada be bigger if they add the island ??! would it be bigger than Russia ?!

WOW the island looks so pretty ...I wish they gave me one of those unhabited islands full of naked girls for xmas
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 02:31   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
Canada has already too much land, but it would be nice if they had another island to add to its huge collection. Would canada be bigger if they add the island ??! would it be bigger than Russia ?!
Land Area of Canada: 9,093,507 sq km
Land Area of Turks and Caicos Islands: 430 sq km

Land Area Combined = 9,093,937 sq km
Land Area of Russia = 16,995,800 sq km

They still have us beat as far as surface area is concerned although our total coastline is more than six times their's.

Quote:
WOW the island looks so pretty ...I wish they gave me one of those unhabited islands full of naked girls for xmas
Of the thirty some odd uninhabited islands I'm sure they wouldn't just give one away.
Old 2004-08-02, 09:07   Link #5
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Why not the US!? Is Canada that appealing? Happy to ear that
Maybe i'm retarded or something but i always thought that Canada had a reputation of a loser country (maybe it's because of an overdose of american movies...)
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 09:20   Link #6
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
Of the thirty some odd uninhabited islands I'm sure they wouldn't just give one away.
Oh I don't know about that... if you can actually find an uninhabited island that is inhabited by lots of naked girls I don't think anyone is going to mind you keeping it...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 09:55   Link #7
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
an uninhabited island that is inhabited by lots of naked girl
Now that's what you call a contradiction in terms

Anyway... eventhough my country (Netherlands) is pretty tiny compared to Canada,
we're pretty lucky when it comes to tropical islands:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/aa.html
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/nt.html
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 10:24   Link #8
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
Why not the US!? Is Canada that appealing? Happy to ear that
Maybe i'm retarded or something but i always thought that Canada had a reputation of a loser country (maybe it's because of an overdose of american movies...)
*cofs*

You have Puerto Rico, American Virgin Islands, etc...

/me prefers Madeira and Azores... way more beautiful
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 14:07   Link #9
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Would it become an actual part of Canada? or would it be like a commonwealth (Guam, Puerto Rico, etc....) or do you think it would become a real province (like Hawaii).
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 15:17   Link #10
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
*cofs*
You have Puerto Rico, American Virgin Islands, etc...

I'm Canadian and proud to be. I'm just suprised that they choose Canada instead of USA because of my overdose of "USA is so great, other country sucks" and "God bless America".

But it would be great to have carabean island part of Canada. But Canada is not really a country, in my history class we learn that Canada is still a UK propriety, the fact is that we don't have a president but a prime minister. Or maybe the alliance will be only to annexe the island to Canada not to be owned by Canada.
i'm confuse now
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 16:28   Link #11
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
I'm Canadian and proud to be. I'm just suprised that they choose Canada instead of USA because of my overdose of "USA is so great, other country sucks" and "God bless America".

But it would be great to have carabean island part of Canada. But Canada is not really a country, in my history class we learn that Canada is still a UK propriety, the fact is that we don't have a president but a prime minister. Or maybe the alliance will be only to annexe the island to Canada not to be owned by Canada.
i'm confuse now

Haha, your History teacher is a stupid, The Prime Minister is the exact same as a President, just different name. We have a parliament to make discitions, and also a senate (which shouldn't even exist) We are no way, governmentally, influenced by any european country. We became an official "Country" in 1867, the Queen has absolutely NO govt power here, only parliament, and the senate(damn I wish the senators would just die, they are all a bunch of rich snobs)

but back on topic, I think that would be cool to have the islands part of us, although that means more taxes They would probably become a territory, instead of a province.

Note: I really hate people who think that we aren't really a country, so that is why my post is not very well written, and yogo pogo, i wasn't referring to you as stupid, just your teacher.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 17:58   Link #12
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills
Would it become an actual part of Canada? or would it be like a commonwealth (Guam, Puerto Rico, etc....) or do you think it would become a real province (like Hawaii).
The islands of Turks and Caicos are a British territory right now, so they are technically part of the commonwealth. The commonwealth is constituted of current colonies and territories and former territories and colonies (basically any country currently or formerly under British rule). If they did become part of Canada they would most likely do so as a province/state. This would allow them to basically maintain self government unlike if they joined as a territory they'd forfiet all self government and would be under direct control of the federal government.

Quote:
i'm confuse now
Your history teacher is a complete idiot.

In 1867 the Constitution of Canada was drafted. Under this constitution the Dominion of Canada became an official country under British rule. Under the BNA Act the Legislative and Executive bodies of the government were established entitling the country to limited self rule. This alone means that Canada is a real country, everything that follows only enforces this. In 1982 The Government of Canada repatriated the constitution from Britian making Canada a completely independant nation under self rule and direction. This also made Canada the only colony or territory to achieve indepence through peaceful means.

Aside from a President being basically the same as a Prime Minister, Canada follows the British parlimentary model of government (this is a given since we were once under British rule). Our only ties with the British government is that Queen Elizabeth is our representitive of state (a purely figure head position). Don't assume that just because we don't use the American system of government that we aren't a real country.

Umm... If we annex the Turk and Caicos Islands we'll own them out right. To annex a country or land is literally to purchase it and if we own them then they are definitely part of the country.
Old 2004-08-02, 17:59   Link #13
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Well America isn't too popular these days, for obvious reasons. I think its cool that some Carribean islands want to become a part of Canada. I support it, eh?
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote