AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-02-21, 16:57   Link #2601
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Reminds me of Hyouka but for the actual book/game. Nope, not familiar with it.
Hyouka has 100 years of torture ? /jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
I have, but despite loving NT9, psychological horror isn't my thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
It isn't mine either, but I was happy for learning about the connection.
Loosely connected I suppose, but there are some similarities in the setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post
Well I did hear about it, I'm in fact surprised that it didn't come to mind when I read NT9.

Must be because there is more than one victim.
It came to my mind because I was watching the "Two Best Friends" playthrough of it which happened recently.

Although A.M. became more like Kakine than Othnius, at least mentally.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 18:17   Link #2602
omega253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...Right, so I take it that NONE of you have heard of "I have no mouth and I must scream"
Now there's a name I haven't seen in a while. Truthfully, all I know about it was what I read off the Wikipedia article.

I also know the reason why the game has that title.
omega253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 18:25   Link #2603
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Hyouka has 100 years of torture ? /jk

Loosely connected I suppose, but there are some similarities in the setting.

It came to my mind because I was watching the "Two Best Friends" playthrough of it which happened recently.

Although A.M. became more like Kakine than Othnius, at least mentally.
I also just read the wikipedia summary. After I read the ending I was like, holy ****!

From reading the summary, I don't really see strong similarities because of the characters' differing personalities and motivations, but I find the comparison at least interesting because of the few basic similarities.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 19:07   Link #2604
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega253 View Post
Now there's a name I haven't seen in a while. Truthfully, all I know about it was what I read off the Wikipedia article.

I also know the reason why the game has that title.
Interestingly enough I didn't put two and two together until it was almost spelled out for me

Go watch the playthrough by two best friends

Quote:
I also just read the wikipedia summary. After I read the ending I was like, holy ****!

From reading the summary, I don't really see strong similarities because of the characters' differing personalities and motivations, but I find the comparison at least interesting because of the few basic similarities.
Yeah the setting is somewhat similar; God-like being destroys the whole world all except for 5 humans (1 in Kamijou's case) which it puts them through physical and mental torture for years, and decides to play a 'game' with them to see if they would break.

The characters... Not so much.

The god-like being is also different from Othinus in general motives, except for one main point- They're both almighty, yet powerless to accomplish what they want the most, so they take it out on the characters.
Old 2014-02-21, 19:12   Link #2605
leukrota

Quote:
...Right, so I take it that NONE of you have heard of "I have no mouth and I must scream"
I love sci-fi but I haven't heard that one till now.

Sounds interesting though, especially knowing that NT9 seems to have borrowed from it.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 19:15   Link #2606
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Fun fact, the writer for "I have no mouth and I must scream" wrote that entire 200 page short story in a single night.

So we know he at least have similar writing speeds and smoke the same weed as Kamachi lol.
Old 2014-02-21, 19:57   Link #2607
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Fun fact, the writer for "I have no mouth and I must scream" wrote that entire 200 page short story in a single night.

So we know he at least have similar writing speeds and smoke the same weed as Kamachi lol.
Wait what the hell lol. They must smoke the same weed. That must be answer.
Old 2014-02-21, 23:16   Link #2608
dragon1412

Not really, i read that before, but "i have no mouth and I must scream" is portraited human reaction when in despair and when the novel start, all of them pretty much giving in already, only one claim he have yet to, but at the very end, he himself could somehow be treated as surrender. And being killed and revived is different from being tortured while immortal.
If Touma was there, there would be something along the lines of jumping at the computer no matter how many times he's tortured or how mutilated he is and ultimately, the computer would fall for him.

Last edited by dragon1412; 2014-02-21 at 23:40.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 02:37   Link #2609
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
Not really, i read that before, but "i have no mouth and I must scream" is portraited human reaction when in despair and when the novel start, all of them pretty much giving in already, only one claim he have yet to, but at the very end, he himself could somehow be treated as surrender. And being killed and revived is different from being tortured while immortal.
If Touma was there, there would be something along the lines of jumping at the computer no matter how many times he's tortured or how mutilated he is and ultimately, the computer would fall for him.
See with the game I get a different feel of the story, especially if the player is going for the good moral route, then it becomes a story of facing your inner demons and for some characters, a story of redemption.

But I agree that outside of the basic premise the two stories have different motives for the madness.

In the 'good' ending to the game, the characters did something that Kamijou did to Othinus as well.
Old 2014-02-22, 03:37   Link #2610
dragon1412

Quote:
See with the game I get a different feel of the story, especially if the player is going for the good moral route, then it becomes a story of facing your inner demons and for some characters, a story of redemption.

But I agree that outside of the basic premise the two stories have different motives for the madness.

In the 'good' ending to the game, the characters did something that Kamijou did to Othinus as well.
well the game was different from the original story if i remember correctly but from what you said, i should i try out the game.
Old 2014-02-22, 03:48   Link #2611
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Just note that this game was made like decades ago lol, so there were a lot very old design choices

I've never played it myself, opting to just follow a playthrough.
Old 2014-02-23, 20:38   Link #2612
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Apparently, Odin's bow was actually named Ichaival according to Wikipedia (really doubt the legitimity of the claim).
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 21:09   Link #2613
dragon1412

Quote:
Apparently, Odin's bow was actually named Ichaival according to Wikipedia (really doubt the legitimity of the claim).
you could believe that, it was mentioned in Prose Edda, but it was mentioned very briefly and it is questionable if Ichaival was actually it's real name but the bow indeed exist.
Old 2014-02-23, 21:33   Link #2614
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
you could believe that, it was mentioned in Prose Edda, but it was mentioned very briefly and it is questionable if Ichaival was actually it's real name but the bow indeed exist.
How do you all find access to these sources and impressed.
Old 2014-02-23, 22:00   Link #2615
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
How do you all find access to these sources and impressed.
Google.

Or Wikisource. Thank God for Wikisource.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 22:16   Link #2616
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Google.

Thanks, I'll check this out. This should be useful...

Also, I can't believe I hadn't noticed until I wrote a character analysis about Touma for this earlier.

But anyway...

Touma's decision to save Othinus is analogous to Will-san's decision to save Touma.

What I didn't notice before is that Touma didn't help Othinus this time just because of his normal I need to help individuals rather than concepts, but rather Othinus was in the same position he had been in one chapter before.

Touma's world is as fake to Othinus as Version Omega's world was fake to Touma. Not only did Touma ultimately decide to try to destroy the "fake" world in the same way that Othinus destroyed the "fake" world that Touma lived in originally, but the reason he identified so much with her was because of Chapter 7.

Touma helped her partly because he was guilty of what he did in version Omega and wanted to have someone blame him for what he did just like Mikoto during the famous bridge scene of the Sisters arc. He also helped her because he would have also tried to reclaim his world even under her circumstances.

Moreover, Touma wanted to help her because she essentially sacrificed herself to bring back the "fake" world that had Touma, which is what he was going to do himself except with the other fake version of version Omega in chapter 7. He was going to sacrifice himself to preserve a world that had justice, and people would probably be heralding the death as a justice, and they would cheer as they committed that act of murder because it would lead to the advancement of humankind (end of chapter 6).

This is why when all of Touma's friends and the entire world go to give Othinus her just desserts and try to make her suffer, and she wants it to happen so that they don't have to worry about her continued existence, he helps her and plays the role of Will-san. I never noticed this comparison/analogy before...

Last edited by dniv; 2014-02-23 at 22:28.
Old 2014-02-23, 23:05   Link #2617
dragon1412

Quote:
Google.

Actually, i have the book, back when i still like myth stories, i bought a lot of them poetic edda too.
Old 2014-02-24, 00:28   Link #2618
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Google.

It'd be funny if you also said Baidu... it honestly has a lot more than google... too bad I can't read Chinese... My roommate and my Chinese friends just keep on using it and finding everything in their language with better video players, audio quality, and ... Urrgh...

Google's great, but too bad it mostly does legal things... (notice I didn't say ethical )
Old 2014-02-26, 12:04   Link #2619
WiliamZ0

Guess only me who using Yahoo all this time. Well Google and Baidu, I sometimes use them, but I used Yahoo more often

Back to NT9, I rather curious about how Touma's allies gonna react and how Kamijou Faction finally showed it physical self :3
WiliamZ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 12:28   Link #2620
LG-MAX

I'm curious is to the answers that Kamijou will give when asked why he is protecting a villain. the level of alienation of Kamijou should now be similar to a fairy tale character who discovered that his life is a fairy tale, this creates many interesting possibilities.
LG-MAX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite hell