5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 8.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.78%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-03-26, 15:34   Link #81
Rias

Overall the series isn't bad, but just confirmed once again that Hanada-Sensei is awesome at everyday/slice-of-life stories, but horrible at serious scenarios. Also refer to xenoglossia and Vividred.

Problems with the shows includes:
-Admiral logging off to go to work so he can buy points to get some buckets and spend on LSC for Taihou. (No explanations, story-wise)
-Kisaragi getting killed twice. (Or you could argue that it's not wo-class isn't Kisaragi, but then all of that foreshadowing goes down the drain)
-Execution of episode 12. Melee action? Seriously?

I think they should just concentrate more on the everyday/slice-of-life stories in 2nd season, since it's doubtful they will remake this. Actually, it's not that bad that warrants a remake anyway. I don't even care about using elements from fan fiction/doujin that much to begin with.
Old 2015-03-26, 16:43   Link #82
Wandering Soul

RIP Kisaragi.. again.

The battle was dissapointing and anti climatic. But the series was good for the most part and it is really just the last few episodes that fell short. Overall I do not regret watching and I would watch a second season.
Old 2015-03-26, 16:55   Link #83
DerGilga
Banned

Nagato and Mutsu didn't have CG-models. Did they run out of money or were they to lazy to make them?
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 16:57   Link #84
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That's the opposite: they "tried" to put more resources on this episode hence there is a little more 2D than 3D, although not by much.
Old 2015-03-26, 17:26   Link #85
DerGilga
Banned

Don't know. If you look at some group shots where they mixed 2D and 3D I think they were just lazy.
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 17:27   Link #86
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Problems with the shows includes:
-Admiral logging off to go to work so he can buy points to get some buckets and spend on LSC for Taihou. (No explanations, story-wise)
-Kisaragi getting killed twice. (Or you could argue that it's not wo-class isn't Kisaragi, but then all of that foreshadowing goes down the drain)
-Execution of episode 12. Melee action? Seriously?
I think Taiho existed prior to that and was just in another navel district. At least Nagato and Mutsu seemed to be aware of her existance.
--------

Lol @ Ooi throwing the wale lol

--------

As expected, the damaged carrier was supposed to replace Enterprise in the events.
Next time we see it its probably gonna be as Carrier Princess.

-----
Not sure the admiral coming back was really good for the story.
Having him had died and Nagato just concealing it could have opened up space for an actually visible Admiral for the sequel.
------
Kiseragi's hair ornament was wasted too, it would have had more impact if Fubuki had actually found it.
------
Yamato's feeling is kinda random in my opinion.
No matter the odds her fate wouldn't have been sealed at Midway, so her being the one feeling that presence feels kind astrange considering how ships that were actually there apparently didn't feel it.

Yamato also indeed looked a bit annoyed when Nagato appeared, probably because she just lost the flagship position.
Or, that danborou fanfic is true, the fleetgirls being actually abyssals and Yamato being the only one in the know

Or... She is just sulking because Nagato didn't let her sortie until now.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 17:29   Link #87
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGilga View Post
Don't know. If you look at some group shots where they mixed 2D and 3D I think they were just lazy.
When 2D and 3D are mixed, it is because the scene is too heavy for the animators and they need the 3D team to alleviate the workload.
That's why 3D sequences are only present for sequences when you see several kanmusu + their gear and the planes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Yamato also indeed looked a bit annoyed when Nagato appeared, probably because she just lost the flagship position.
Or, that danborou fanfic is true, the fleetgirls being actually abyssals and Yamato being the only one in the know

Or... She is just sulking because Nagato didn't let her sortie until now.
That glare bothered me the very moment it was shown, and it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Yamato was already taking orders from Akagi before Nagato showed up, and it isn't like she wanted to lead a fleet, but rather fight with everyone.
Also, it is very weird for her to keep a grudge on Nagato despite she also acknowledges the reasons why she has to be kept hidden.
Old 2015-03-26, 17:39   Link #88
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That glare bothered me the very moment it was shown, and it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Yamato was already taking orders from Akagi before Nagato showed up, and it isn't like she wanted to lead a fleet, but rather fight with everyone.
Also, it is very weird for her to keep a grudge on Nagato despite she also acknowledges the reasons why she has to be kept hidden.
Yamato is actually an Abyssal spy that was trying to make things go wrong without letting the others notice!

Jokes aside it may just be they not drawing properly or trying to make her have a serious face but not noticing how it made her look like she was angry/bothered by Nagato arrival. If it's just a mistake, it may be corrected in the BD.
Old 2015-03-26, 17:55   Link #89
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post

Well historically she was supposed to be the IJN's Flagship.
Her glare might have a deeper meaning we won't understand until season 2 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
Yamato is actually an Abyssal spy that was trying to make things go wrong without letting the others notice!
Funny you say that because I'd personally really like to see an anime version of this story line

Quoting myself from the image thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Images
Fan comic I found on danbooru a while ago
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Author: https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1681072?pool_id=8235
But yeah it would be nice if something like that was actually the reason for her glaring at Nagato.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 17:59   Link #90
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'll just leave this here, but suffice to say I thought that the episode was a mess.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2015-03-26 at 18:00. Reason: Please use images tag for such large picture...
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 18:02   Link #91
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This isn't the only quality issue there. If anything, it is just the tip of the iceberg. All of these + wo kai sinking offscreen made me think that something failed big time during the production and they had to redo stuff in a rush.
Old 2015-03-26, 18:23   Link #92
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I'll just leave this here, but suffice to say I thought that the episode was a mess.
goes back to the episode and checks

Holy crap, that really happened, and they left it in. The Photoshop propagandists for authoritarian regimes would be shot for that sort of goof.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 18:25   Link #93
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kirishima was being cool, so I didn't notice.
Old 2015-03-26, 18:56   Link #94
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well in the end I'd say that was pretty darn average.

This really just turned into a war of Fate vs. Plot. With Akagi whining about fate while the fact that the writers were on her side literally saved her life. So much so that they actually retconned the cliffhanger from last week . Or maybe they actually forgot how the previous episode ended, I put nothing behind the writing staff on this show . I know that sometimes shows do that kind of thing, but I still think that's utter bs. Create drama, sure. But actually follow through with it.

Plus even Kitakami survived!? Really!? That was sigh worthy enough, but the long scene that followed in yuri mode was just goofy. "No please feel free to have your moment, we the enemies that are terrible will just sit here and wait for you to kill us."

Plus sinking the super Wo offscreen was just....wasn't that supposed to be a big foe? Was that enemy really so unimportant that we couldn't see it sink?

The episode wasn't a total waste....Kongou was still in it . Yamato got her chance to shine finally and was pretty awesome at blowing things up. There was some fun little moments in there. And I guess it's nice that the admiral came back...from wherever....with a message they already knew .

I just think this is a really easy episode to find the negatives in.
Old 2015-03-26, 19:02   Link #95
Enternal

Overall, there's a ton of mixed feelings about the entire show. It seems the production team does not know exactly what they want to do or they keep changing their minds every episode.

On the other hand, it seems everyone does enjoy it a lot for the things it does right? Right? Well at least to me and I do see quite a lot of people here who really enjoyed all the moments that are not battle related. All the slice-of-life like episodes are great!

How are the Japanese fans responding? It's pretty mixed too isn't it? I hope that the production team is able to read all those comments and sort it out for the next season. Although honestly I still would like it more if they can somehow handle the comedy and slice-of-life with some plot like Strike Witches did...
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 19:32   Link #96
chaosprophet

Thinking back, maybe it would been better to introduce that fate force around the middle of the story, have they trying everything but still not being able to go against it resulting in someone sinking around episode 8, and then in the finale they finally being able to beat it.
Old 2015-03-26, 19:38   Link #97
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, it seems that they decided to go for an explosive and pretty straightforward Total Happy end.

The pros to that was some nice character moments, and a good end for almost all the characters, including the ones I was particularly fond of.

The cons is that it made the Abyssals look a bit worse (Flower's point on the Kitakami and Oi big moment definitely applies ), and it cheapens the series slightly, given its military premise. Only slightly, though, as the show only very lightly flirted with "dark" and "serious". I can certainly think of some anime shows that had its own Total Happy end that felt more out of left field than this one did.

Aside from that, it did have some QUALITY issues, but I'm inclined to largely let them slide since it can't be easy to animate an episode of almost non-stop combat action.

It was a largely pleasing episode, so taking the negatives into account, I give this one 8/10.

On the whole, Kancolle was a good simple entertainment watch with a likeable cast and a decent but not fantastic plot. A mostly strong central character arc for Fubuki, and a good mix of entertainment and substance from other major characters (especially Kongou), makes Kancolle's simple plot work as well as it possibly could.
Old 2015-03-26, 19:47   Link #98
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Techically Fate showed its ugly head in episode 3. Kiseragi sinking at Island W was just that, fate. That is where she sank before and thus were she sank again. The tossing in of the historical allusion that early on was the start of the fight against Fate. At that point, the worry about, "will they do Midway? Will they sink the carriers?" started to show up. We were not sure what would happen, but they had already used a allusion to an actual World War II event...and thus the stage was set for more drama to happen. The plot didn't even need to be written, it happened in reality. All they needed to do was read a history book, then decide were to fight Fate.

That place, the place to fight Fate, was Midway.
Old 2015-03-26, 19:51   Link #99
chaosprophet

I agree about that, Ithekro. I also liked that how it worked did connect with Kisaragi's sinking and also with that light carrier getting on fire (and possibly sink too?). But I think it would have been more interesting if the characters got aware of that earlier, lose to it once, are able to raise themselves up again in what seems to be a hopeless situation and then beat it.
Old 2015-03-26, 20:25   Link #100
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Aside from that, it did have some QUALITY issues, but I'm inclined to largely let them slide since it can't be easy to animate an episode of almost non-stop combat action.
Understatement of the season right here.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote