1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-11, 14:35   Link #161
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Let me get this straight.
People don't have problem with Alto literally dodging autocannon shells in his Ex-Gear or generally mech pilots bullet timing with their machines and performing other impossible maneuvers yet when the girls start to do some acrobatics that's suddenly BS?

Come on, it's fiction. If you'd watch shows with a bit more open eye you'd notice that superhuman showings are pretty common in almost any of them.
May the Rule of Cool be with ya!
I've got two issues with it:
- the look of it. If they wore Metal Hero style armor, maybe I'd find it vaguely more tolerable, but as magical girls, it just looks silly.
- nobody ever said going into a furball in Ex-Gear was a good idea. It's something you do when there's no other choice. But here, it's basically plan A.

I'm all for Rule of Cool. It's just a matter of what we find "cool".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 17:19   Link #162
Tenzen12

It doesn't really matter what you find cool, what is matter is Zentrandi opinions. It's show, it's concert and it has to be obvious on first sight.
Old 2016-04-11, 17:22   Link #163
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
It doesn't really matter what you find cool, what is matter is Zentrandi opinions. It's show, it's concert and it has to be obvious on first sight.
Rule of Cool is meta-reasoning. It's buying suspension of disbelief with coolness. So, yes, what matters is the opinion of the viewers, not the characters.
Old 2016-04-11, 18:08   Link #164
MartianMage

Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that these girls seem to be happy at the fact that the city has been turned to a battlefield? I mean I'm not saying that they should be frowning while singing but Mikumo in particular seems to be happy at the idea with her going "finally there's some action" with all the death and destruction in front of her <_<
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 18:29   Link #165
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that these girls seem to be happy at the fact that the city has been turned to a battlefield? I mean I'm not saying that they should be frowning while singing but Mikumo in particular seems to be happy at the idea with her going "finally there's some action" with all the death and destruction in front of her <_<
Thats hardly unusual. Soldiers engaged in battle long enough will eventually filter out perceived information. That and this is hardly the first time the Walkure had been doing this. They are veterans of battle in more ways than one.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 03:46   Link #166
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Rule of Cool is meta-reasoning. It's buying suspension of disbelief with coolness. So, yes, what matters is the opinion of the viewers, not the characters.
It's not meta if you need calm down raged zentrandi, it's necessity.
Old 2016-04-12, 05:25   Link #167
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It's not meta if you need calm down raged zentrandi, it's necessity.
You say that like Zentradi and their ailments aren't completely imaginary to start with.
Old 2016-04-12, 06:10   Link #168
Tenzen12

Yeah, I do say that like they aren't. There is no problem with that.
Old 2016-04-12, 13:03   Link #169
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Yeah, I do say that like they aren't. There is no problem with that.
No, but it does mean we aren't talking about the same things at all.
Old 2016-04-12, 13:49   Link #170
wissenschaft

Quote:
I've got two issues with it:
- the look of it. If they wore Metal Hero style armor, maybe I'd find it vaguely more tolerable, but as magical girls, it just looks silly.
- nobody ever said going into a furball in Ex-Gear was a good idea. It's something you do when there's no other choice. But here, it's basically plan A.

I'm all for Rule of Cool. It's just a matter of what we find "cool".
So in short, this is just a pet peave. Some people will share it and others wont care.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 14:11   Link #171
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
So in short, this is just a pet peave. Some people will share it and others wont care.
It's a work of fiction for entertainment. It's never going to be more important than that.
Old 2016-04-12, 14:14   Link #172
Tenzen12

Quote:
No, but it does mean we aren't talking about the same things at all.
It means you just completely disregard Watsonian reasons just to complain about Doyliat ones. Even thought they are inseparable in this case.
Old 2016-04-12, 15:04   Link #173
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It means you just completely disregard Watsonian reasons just to complain about Doyliat ones. Even thought they are inseparable in this case.
And on what grounds are they inseparable? Why do you think you can dismiss Doylist concerns with Watsonian reasoning?

There isn't a weighty, preexisting lore that forced the existence of magical girls dancing on giant mechs in Macross. They could have written a story without them, but chose not to. That's all there is to it. And having chosen to write about techno magical girls sharing a battlefield with giant mechs, they came up with in-story reasons for them to "make sense". As is normal. But - again - they could have chosen otherwise, and, rather than needing reasons for the absence of magical girls, we'd never have questioned it.
Old 2016-04-12, 15:39   Link #174
Tenzen12

Yes, there is weighty preexisting lore that forced existence of dancing magical girls on giant mechs. It exist more than 30 years already.
Old 2016-04-13, 04:27   Link #175
Shikijin

Quote:
There isn't a weighty, preexisting lore that forced the existence of magical girls dancing on giant mechs in Macross.
Except the fact that they are not magical. They use holograms, drones and fold waves to achieve what they do. All tech established in the previous Macross series.
Quote:
They could have written a story without them, but chose not to. That's all there is to it. And having chosen to write about techno magical girls sharing a battlefield with giant mechs, they came up with in-story reasons for them to "make sense". As is normal. But - again - they could have chosen otherwise, and, rather than needing reasons for the absence of magical girls, we'd never have questioned it.
They could also have chosen not to have giant robots, not to have a teen lead, and many other things that makes a show fun. They could have chosen to have a technological stagnation, like in Star Wars.

They made wise choices.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 09:17   Link #176
Liddo-kun
is this so?

This is one of the best Macross first episodes I've seen. Glaug battlepods rampaging in a burning city, nostalgia hit me a lot ... reminded so much of season one when the Zentran first arrived on earth.

Mikumo so beautiful.

And hmm, so the singers now literally run around the combat zone. And costume transformations too. Somehow reminds me of AKB0048 - ok, I like AKB... a fan of both the anime and AKB live performances (it's in my sig, Cool Japan 2015). Getting AKB vibes and Macross all in one anime is just great.

10/10 for the first ep.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2017-06-18 at 09:57.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-19, 02:18   Link #177
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

It goes down hill after this...
Old 2017-06-19, 14:17   Link #178
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
It goes down hill after this...
More like a free-fall.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote