AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-05-28, 02:54   Link #61
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
Wait a second, Human Failure most definitely is not a psychopath.
He is actually the more normal one when compared to Defective Product.
Human Failure cannot relate to others due to learned behaviors, unlike Defective Product who's personality is internally screwed up.
Zerozaki was well received, so he had to be "herofied" in the latter books, but in the second book essentially he was someone who killed 12 people. He got the glib empty talk of a psychopath, as well as the lack of nervousness. There is also something mentioned in the latter books that could be used to argue he is indeed a psychopath, though in the end the series was not meant to be that consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Spoiler for Ii-chan:
Spoiler for Ii-chan:
Quote:
As he puts it, he's a wolf in sheep's clothing.
I think the original word was 偽善者, which literally means "person who feigns goodness", usually translated with "hypocrite". "Wolf" gives it an aggressive nuance, which maybe was not necessarily intended by the author.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 03:32   Link #62
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Zerozaki was well received, so he had to be "herofied" in the latter books, but in the second book essentially he was someone who killed 12 people. He got the glib empty talk of a psychopath, as well as the lack of nervousness. There is also something mentioned in the latter books that could be used to argue he is indeed a psychopath, though in the end the series was not meant to be that consistent.
I would not agree with this either.
Even though I would say he is the more normal one between the too, I also had no doubt he is a sorrier excuse of a human being then Defective Product.

Spoiler:
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 03:39   Link #63
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Spoiler for Ii-chan:
Spoiler for interpretation:

Quote:
I think the original word was 偽善者, which literally means "person who feigns goodness", usually translated with "hypocrite". "Wolf" gives it an aggressive nuance, which maybe was not necessarily intended by the author.
That's how Del Rey translated it, though I didn't intend to use it in that context. I just meant that he consciously uses his aloof, apathetic exterior to hide something much more terrible.
Old 2012-05-28, 07:23   Link #64
Shikijin

Quote:
Spoiler:
I can't comment until I have read that part, but as I said, he is a psychopath.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for interpretation:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-28, 08:05   Link #65
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for more interpretations:

Last edited by Qilin; 2012-05-28 at 08:22.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 13:33   Link #66
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
I can't comment until I have read that part, but as I said, he is a psychopath.
Spoiler:
Spoiler for future volumes:
Old 2012-05-28, 20:44   Link #67
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Spoiler for interpretation of Ikkun:
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 20:57   Link #68
Qilin
Romanticist

^ The fact that so many interpretations of a single character can coexist makes me glad I read this book.

Spoiler for :
Old 2012-05-28, 21:50   Link #69
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Spoiler for Ii-chan:
Old 2012-05-28, 22:30   Link #70
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Spoiler for Ii-chan:
Spoiler for :
Old 2012-09-10, 19:59   Link #71
orangejuicetang

Does anybody know what happened to the website that was slowly translating Zaregoto volume 3?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 12:16   Link #72
Cruor

As far as Ii-chan's psychology I think he might've been intending for a bit more then we think simply because of how quickly he switched gears to eating the evidence and terrorizing Atemiya. But yeah, staying cool in those kinda of situations could easily be the kind of stuff he picked up from his past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Does anybody know what happened to the website that was slowly translating Zaregoto volume 3?
The translator said he was going to remake it (or rather something about how he would actually get back to work) in August. And then at the end of August, well, that happened. So yeah, I can only assume he's either finishing it and wanted to put it in a different format or he gave up but was being sly about it. Considering he said he was going to update it in August I'm leaning on the former hopefully.

Also I believe a second project started up for the novel.
Cruor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 15:50   Link #73
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
Also I believe a second project started up for the novel.
Tell me more

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2012-09-25, 15:34   Link #74
Cruor

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to it? Well, I've seen threads link to BT and Del Ray kinda went under so maybe?

Here.
Cruor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 22:03   Link #75
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
this is actually the funniest comment I've ever heard in months (even if it's an old one). wwwwwwwwww
In my defense, I didn't specify how many people were translating. However, after some experience in translating I realized the time of the process is quite disproportional to the time it takes to consume the translated material. So I was naive, and I admit it now but "wwwwwwww" was definitely unnecessary! sad face :V
Old 2012-11-11, 17:40   Link #76
orangejuicetang

Spoiler for volume 3, act 5:

Oh my, ii-chan.

Old 2012-12-14, 07:06   Link #77
Sol Falling

Picked up the third novel translation by the second translator group...just one chapter (the epilogue) remaining, so I gave into temptation. Was freakin' awesome, and I feel at this point as if we've started to really have a good idea of what Ii-kun's character is. Not only that, but unexpectedly this volume still threw in the (perhaps somewhat meaninglessly) obligatory murder mystery as well. It was pretty satisfying to guess the culprit correctly, I guess that Nishio might have set that up. The climax/reveal was, as always, non-stop awesome.

Reading through some of the more light-hearted sections, there were times where Ii-kun's personality really felt like Araragi, lol. And I guess a lot of the more philosophical stuff about things like strength and relativity reminded me strongly of themes brought up again in Medaka Box. These are pretty fascinating catches, and although I guess Nishio could possibly be criticized for reusing so many character types or themes in his own works, I'm grateful because I really feel like getting access to Zaregoto also helps me gain insight Nishio's other series.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 08:58   Link #78
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Picked up the third novel translation by the second translator group...just one chapter (the epilogue) remaining, so I gave into temptation. Was freakin' awesome, and I feel at this point as if we've started to really have a good idea of what Ii-kun's character is. Not only that, but unexpectedly this volume still threw in the (perhaps somewhat meaninglessly) obligatory murder mystery as well. It was pretty satisfying to guess the culprit correctly, I guess that Nishio might have set that up. The climax/reveal was, as always, non-stop awesome.
Did you figure out the closed room trick (the answer is in the epilogue)?
Spoiler for spoiler:
The solution is pretty simple now that I've read ... quite a few closed room cases, but when I first started reading mysteries I thought it's brilliant (partly because he managed to distract me from even focusing on the trick until the very end). The epilogue is actually the most fun of every single arc imo.

This will probably be surprising to you but Shiogi is actually Nishio's favorite character for this series! During 2007's popularity, she poll ranked 8th out of 100 or so Nishio characters. You won't find out all her story unless you read Ningen series too. She appears for so little in this volume but ...
Spoiler for spoiler:
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 10:21   Link #79
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Did you figure out the closed room trick (the answer is in the epilogue)?
Spoiler for spoiler:
The solution is pretty simple now that I've read ... quite a few closed room cases, but when I first started reading mysteries I thought it's brilliant (partly because he managed to distract me from even focusing on the trick until the very end). The epilogue is actually the most fun of every single arc imo.
Haha, no, I didn't think too much about the trick either, although now that you've suggested it I may give it a try. I haven't read too many murder mysteries myself but I guess the point you mention about distraction is pretty relevant because with regards to the culprit part I felt like Nishio deliberately brought it up and revealed quite a few clues early on which is I went and made a guess. In terms of logically deducing the escape/murder method itself I've got pretty little experience or skills.

Spoiler for couple guesses:

Quote:
This will probably be surprising to you but Shiogi is actually Nishio's favorite character for this series! During 2007's popularity, she poll ranked 8th out of 100 or so Nishio characters. You won't find out all her story unless you read Ningen series too. She appears for so little in this volume but ...
Spoiler for spoiler:
Haha, so Shiogi is Nishio's favourite. That poll rank is pretty impressive/interesting; so aside from Ningen series, does she show up again in Zaregoto's main books at all?
Spoiler:

Hmm, so I wonder if Shiogi is the only "strategist" character in the series, or if her entire family is. If she is the only strategist character, that could be an interesting reason for understanding why she's Nishio's favourite, particularly considering the way her concept contrasted with Ii-kun, the "scammer" main character.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 12:13   Link #80
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Reading through some of the more light-hearted sections, there were times where Ii-kun's personality really felt like Araragi, lol.
Yeah, and Hime-chan is a bit like Hachikuji.