Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-10-17, 10:11   Link #61
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ranma 1/2 has a similar structure but it’s quite a bit cleverer and subtler (relatively speaking) than UY in my view. Rumiko was 10 years older and it showed in her writing.
Yes and no. Ranma 1/2 started as a kind of serious (wit some wacky elements) romcom, with a lot of vibes from Maison Ikkoku. But as the anime 1st season had poor ratings and the animation budget was considerably lowered, the manga went down the wacky route.

Sadly I doubt we will see a reboot of Ranma 1/2, because Rumiko invented the harem genre, but tried to put the genie back in the box by giving romantic interests to the rest of the cast (except the Kunos).

But who knows, if the UY reboot is successful, maybe they will also do a selective story arcs reboot of Ranma 1/2.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-19, 01:53   Link #62
belatkuro
Kuro-chan

The only episode I remember that I caught once was
Spoiler:
That somehow stuck to me all these years and all I remember of it so I wanted to get into this remake.

It really is a product of its time and kudos to the studio for somehow sticking to the feel of the series from the 80s. It's going to be an acquired taste to tolerate and like the show but I found it enjoyable.
It does beg the question why Ataru isn't attracted to Lum. Is it coz she's an alien? Aside from the horns and the flight and the electric powers, she's no different from a normal human. He even perved out when he took her top away. Sure he has Shinobu but he does look at other women. Yet he doesn't find Lum attractive and accept her advances. Or maybe coz they started as the invaders of the world that he has that against her. Or maybe he doesn't like being pursued and wants to be the pursuer so he's turned off by her approach.

I'm thinking too deeply on this old classic show so I'm just gonna enjoy it.
belatkuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-19, 09:24   Link #63
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by belatkuro View Post
The only episode I remember that I caught once was
Spoiler:
That somehow stuck to me all these years and all I remember of it so I wanted to get into this remake.

It really is a product of its time and kudos to the studio for somehow sticking to the feel of the series from the 80s. It's going to be an acquired taste to tolerate and like the show but I found it enjoyable.
It does beg the question why Ataru isn't attracted to Lum. Is it coz she's an alien? Aside from the horns and the flight and the electric powers, she's no different from a normal human. He even perved out when he took her top away. Sure he has Shinobu but he does look at other women. Yet he doesn't find Lum attractive and accept her advances. Or maybe coz they started as the invaders of the world that he has that against her. Or maybe he doesn't like being pursued and wants to be the pursuer so he's turned off by her approach.

I'm thinking too deeply on this old classic show so I'm just gonna enjoy it.
I think that might be it. Also that Lum basically killed his seeming last chance at getting hitched to Shinobu.
Old 2022-10-19, 09:43   Link #64
SidVicious
Anime addict

I can't wait to see if they adapt the episode with Lum "gone" and the one with the killer potato.

Edit: Well now...

The Urusei Yatsura All Stars Twitter account posted a video that revealed the 22 chapters that are going to be in the first cour of Season 1.

Young Love on the Run (First chapter - 001)
Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Bermuda Triangle chapter - 005)
Trouble Rains Down (Mendou Introduction - 022)
Cultural Festival Close Call (Sanshiro Sugata play with Ran - 056)
The Glove of Love and Conflict (Boxing gloves - 216)
Farewell Party Close Call (Ran invites Lum and Ataru to hear home - 058)
Parents' Day Horrors (Lum's Mom Introduction - 051)
Studying Mayhem (Rei comes to class with Mendou shocked - 110)
Home Is Where You Find It (The little sea creature in the Pool with his tea stand - 086)
Marine Garbage Disposal (Same little sea creature - 091)
The Yellow Ribbon of Happiness (The Yellow Ribbon - 015)
Sealed with a Kiss! (Mendou and Kurama - 137)
Mendo Siblings (Ryoko's introduction - 121/122)
Amazed in a Maze (Cave and we learn Mendou's fear of the dark - 030)
Since Your Parting (Ataru cries like a bitch when she "leaves" him with only a Lum doll left - 034)
How I've Waited for You (Fake love letter / Valentine's Day chapter - 026)
Good Day for a Departure (The first Setsubun and Benten introduction - 008)
To Kill with Love (Rei's introduction - 006)
Present for You (Sakura's introduction - 004)
Oyuki (Guess who's introduction? - 010)
Ataru Retires (Ataru "Retires" - 061)
Forget-the-Year Party! / A Strange New Year at the Mendo Estate (Roleplay with the class as Mendou is Sherlock and Ataru as Zenigata + Festival at Mendou estate - 113/114)

Sources:

https://twitter.com/uy_allstars/stat...95424462778368

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2052426

Last edited by SidVicious; 2022-10-19 at 11:22.
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-19, 20:58   Link #65
agaric1

I was super excited to see this remake. They did a pretty good job and did not deviate much. I liked the old images in the OP but did not like Lum portrayed as pop idol too much.
agaric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-20, 15:36   Link #66
Dop
Mmmm....

I have to admit I do quite like the way they keep using a few bars of the original anime series OP as a musical leitmotif.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-20, 15:46   Link #67
Frontier

Was that Tetsu Inada as Ataru's teacher doing Engrish? Can this show just stop flexing it's seiyuu budget already .

I guess it's no surprise Lum followed him to school...which turns the girls against him because it comes off like he's mocking Shinobu, and the boys turn against him when they see Lum straddling him and planting a big kiss on his lips. Ataru just can't win .

Hey, at least Lum apologized! Not that Ataru is quite in the mood...

Ataru straight up runs away! I don't know what's better, his two girlfriends competing in pleading with him to come back, his mother pleading with funeral food, or that Cherry just can't leave him alone. And then they have a completely accurate rendering of him in the exact same mask and outfit he's wearing. It's hilarious .

A wild Miyuki Sawashiro has appeared! And Ataru immediately cops a feel! Sakura (who is Cherry's niece) is wise to the ways of people and their auras, what with being a shrine maiden, and she won't bore any trouble from a letch like Ataru...but she will try to cure him of his demons, even if she seems more worried about her own demons. But Miyuki Sawashiro hamming it up is always a treat .

Holy crud, the grim reaper legit killed Ataru! Although the sight of a beautiful nurse is enough to stir him up, and even the grim reaper can't stand against Lum's jealous rage .

Figures Ataru would think the quickest solution is de-powering Lum and tricking her with an accessory courtesy of Cherry, but Lum without her powers was actually kind of cute .

Some random supporting characters appear and suddenly become involved with the plot because they become horny for Lum! As if Ataru didn't have enough problems .

What Ataru didn't plan for was that, even powerless, Lum would still want to be with him and with nowhere else to go she would just stick with him no problem. And then his attempt to re-power her exposes the whole thing and just ends with her beating him up...without power! Of course the actual shocks come back as the cherry on top .

Speaking of Cherry, man realizes he's in trouble and immediately hightails it back to his sister and niece to protect him from Lum's wrath .

They even got Mamoru Miyano showing up with some engrish and rich kid flexing to add to this insane plot .
Old 2022-10-20, 17:14   Link #68
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Ok, I'm starting to really enjoy Lum. Things did get a bit dicey near the end with her powered down. When she can't immediately go into shock mode she does have some cute moments and is understandably sticking close by to the one person she does like on that planet . I'd say carrying a communication device for her ship/people would be a good idea, but most of the time she would be too OP to need it.

At least Ataru is so flawed that you don't have to feel too bad for his life going utterly insane. Not that his situation would be easy even if he suddenly changed his tune. But he definitely doesn't do himself any favours.

Will definitely enjoy keeping up with this one .
Old 2022-10-20, 18:00   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Miyuki Sawashiro did a great job as Sakura, as expected. Good thing she looks nothing like her mother and uncle.

I did not remember Lum casually kissing Ataru. It feels like Ataru's life would be way easier if he just gave in. Half the population would still hate him (jealous men) but it's better than the entire world hating him. And we've seen in this episode that he talks a big game, but the prospect of a powerless Lum sleeping with him in his bed made him freak out. A real pervert would have taken advantage.
Old 2022-10-20, 18:16   Link #70
grecefar

Fun chapter.

I see that even if ataru has bad luck he got that charm to attract girls to him, and there has to be a reason why shinobu and lum keep coming back to him.

That was quite the entrace from shutaro.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-25, 20:33   Link #71
agaric1

Cannot believe he would take off the ribbon. Well, I have seen old series but still cannot believe it.
agaric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-27, 15:12   Link #72
Frontier

Okay, there's rich, and there's having a Japanese style mansion section in your ridiculously huge airship to carry you to and from school level of rich .

Mamoru Miyano is like the perfect person to play Mendo. Just capturing that cool guy and ladies man vibes while turning into hysterics and absolute hammines at the drop of a hat. And I love how his obviously ailing grandfather is sending him off and Mendo just throws him away like he's nothing .

Ah a classic school morning with Shinobu throwing desks at Ataru and Lum in a jealous rage...but it does lead to a fateful encounter of her own as she throws it at Mendo and he inexplicably survives and charms every lady in the class, especially Shinobu, although he has his eyes on a very special kind of girl named Lum .

Mendo's fully ready to be a taskmaster and cruelly torture Ataru...I mean, all the boys in the class to whip them into shape while leaving the girls alone, but the boys pin all their hopes on Ataru because he's their (back-handed) best shot at beating him. And Ataru just wants to use it as an excuse to pick up chicks .

I don't know what's funnier, the cannon duel or Ataru running away from the glove slap. I think that's the first time I've ever seen that .

Well, if Mendo is prepared to be a proper love interest for Lum, he better be ready to get zapped and fried. Also, Sumire Uesaka's "Zap Zap Zap Zap Zap" chant is adorable .

Ataru trying to get Shinobu alone to confirm her feelings and it seems like she's 100% moved on from him and hopped onto the Mendo-train. To be honest, on paper, I can't blame her. At least she doesn't have to worry about Ataru and Lum beyond getting in the way of her crush on Mendo .

Casual clothes Lum! Ponytail Lum! Lum wearing actual clothes! And she looks amazing !

I think that's a first time I've seen a love rectangle enter into a cave and every one has their own individual plan for clinging on to someone in the dark, which of course inevitably goes wrong in comedic fashion. And Mendo turns into a whining baby whenever women aren't looking at him, although it doesn't seem like the girls have quite realized that yet .

Ah, so they just released a rocket ship carrying a hot babe in a skimpy outfit...can't wait to meet her .
Old 2022-10-27, 17:41   Link #73
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Ok, I kind of love this guy. Mendo definitely adds some spice to the show. There's only so long the exact same formula with just the main love triangle could hold up. But mixing in other characters adds to the fun. Just throwing this guy into the mix makes it more interesting. Now you've got interests split up a bit more. Lum is after Ataru, who is after Shinobu, who has mostly shifted her focus to Mendo, and Mendo is interested in Lum. Nice and chaotic .

This show is such a classic that it's refreshing. The cave was full of entertainment. It was fun having all parties with their plans and seeing them play out in unexpected ways.

And I will say Lum in casual clothes works extremely well .
Old 2022-10-27, 17:48   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Mendou is as funny as I remembered. Shinobu moved on from Ataru pretty damn fast, but I don't blame her. Mendou is like the superior version of Ataru. Still a womanizer, but handsome and ridiculously rich. Of course she'd jump ship, especially with Lum getting in the way all the time. Too bad Lum is still indirectly going to get in the way with Mendou having fallen for her.

Lum is the real winner here, no need to worry about Shinobu anymore.
Old 2022-10-27, 19:19   Link #75
ryllharu

This episode was dumb slapstick shenanigans, and I was laughing throughout.

Simple stuff, well executed. What I really enjoy about the Takahashi's classic works.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-28, 14:38   Link #76
grecefar

I agree that mendo was a really good adition and with him now shinobu can move on from ataru and lum. Like kanon said, I don't blame her for moving on either even if it was pretty quick lol.

New girl next chapter, this has been really fun.
Old 2022-10-29, 14:52   Link #77
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
This show is such a classic that it's refreshing.
Very much this. It feels weirdly refreshing going back to the over the top ridiculous rom com with slapstick violence and romantic rectangles. Anime did this for decades but it's been gone from fashion for just enough time for it to feel distinct again. Really enjoying this (and yes casual clothes Lum gets the nod of approval from me as well)
Old 2022-11-03, 18:34   Link #78
grecefar

kurama is beautiful and I can't blame the guys to fall for her but it's getting annoying how they can change their feelings so quickly, I know is a gag but it will get tiresome.

Lum is the only loyal here and we get to see the worst side of ataru, he was pretty annoying and scummy this chapter.
Old 2022-11-03, 18:44   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Lum is the only loyal here and we get to see the worst side of ataru, he was pretty annoying and scummy this chapter.
That's how he's going to be every time a pretty girl shows up.
Old 2022-11-03, 23:26   Link #80
Frontier

Tennis! Which means tennis skirts! And Lum and Shinobu both look great! Especially Lum and her legs !

Gotta be honest, was not expecting to see crow aliens. Let alone frikkin’ Nana Mizuki playing a horny alien space babe with a body to die for and a skimpy outfit to show it off trying to get into Mamoru Miyano’s pants .

Ataru has surprisingly good luck at kissing hot alien princesses. Now, actually banging said alien princesses…

Oh yeah, no one in this cast is qualified to discuss proper etiquette between girls and boys .

I admire the female classmates holding their own against Kurama. No one steals their Mendo-kun !

I was honestly not expecting Lum to help build an alien love nest pod right next to the school and in broad daylight but all the better to get Mendo laid! He just needs to be bolder .

Don’t you just hate it when you find out that your peoples ancient traditions came up through a sappy and inconsequential backstory that prevents you from banging a studmuffin ?

I guess Ataru won in the end in the sense of dispelling Kurama’s notion that Mendo was actually cool, thus robbing him of hot alien sex, but I think Kurama won in the sense that she’s finally free to pursue her perfect, ideal, man. Although knowing this show, she’ll probably never find him .

(Also pay those poor birds overtime!)