AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 07
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 35 23.33%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 32.67%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 37 24.67%
7 out of 10: Good... 14 9.33%
6 out of 10: Average... 5 3.33%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 2 1.33%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.33%
3 out of 10: Bad... 2 1.33%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 0.67%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 3 2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-18, 17:57   Link #61
MrPopo

I'm also fine with Kirito. If anything, I find it kind of tragic that he's only a "Marty Stu" within the confines of Aincrad; I'm sure he's far from perfect in real life. In fact, his "Marty Stu"-ness might be a set up for an interesting conflict down the line. What if he decides he no longer wants to clear the game because he likes his perfect life in Aincrad? I would love it if the show goes in that direction because I think escapism makes perfect sense as the primary theme when it comes to an MMO setting.

I can just feel the LN crowd snickering at how right/wrong my hopes are
MrPopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:04   Link #62
Lycodrake

...I'd like it to be explained to me how Kirito is a Marty Stu. Attracting 4 girls, one of which is killed because of his usual loner style of play biting him back, does not even count as a reason.
Old 2012-08-18, 18:22   Link #63
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
I notice you cherry-picked my statement - run the numbers again for "cute" girls.
Next time you decide to throw out a percentage like that, make sure you can back it up. ;p

Quote:
Out of the named characters so far, that Kirito actually interacts with, we have the following:

Guys: Agil, Diabel, Klein, Keita, Kains, Schmitt, Grimlock, and Kibaou.
Girls: Asuna, Lizbeth, Silica, Sachi, Rosalia, Yoruko.

Hmm, that's one more cute girl than all the male characters combined!
I fixed that for ya. It's now 8 males and 6 females. There are more characters (both male and female) that Kirito has interacted with, but they haven't been named for whatever reason, so I won't bother adding them to the list incase they get named later on.

Quote:
A better way to look at it though, is to ask ourselves, who was the deuteragonist of each episode?

Ep1: Klein
Ep 2: Asuna/Diabel
Ep 3: Sachi
Ep 4: Silica
Ep 5: Yoruko/Asuna
Ep 6: Asuna
Ep 7: Lizbeth.
Now, if you only phrased your initial argument like so, I wouldn't have had any qualms with it. Even if the list is arguably somewhat wrong, but debating that is pretty pointless as the anime hasn't even reached the halfway point.

Last edited by Ray; 2012-08-18 at 18:38. Reason: grammar, blah
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:26   Link #64
MrPopo

I have no strong feelings towards the whole Marty Stu debate (hence the quotation marks in my previous post). I do think that the more important thing is being able to empathize with the character, which I've had no problem doing so far.

Although I have to say that the "girl of the week" thing is kinda annoying, since it chips away at my suspension of disbelief (MMOs being historically populated by mostly guys). For that reason, Liz annoyed me since I'm kind of burnt out from all the girls.

That being said, I did find it interesting that Liz commented on the warmth of Kirito's hand being a result of "virtual data", yet at the end she contradicts herself by saying that it was "something real". Seems she's having trouble discerning fake from reality, or she simply doesn't care anymore. Either way, it's an interesting thing for the show to build upon.
MrPopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:41   Link #65
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
...I'd like it to be explained to me how Kirito is a Marty Stu. Attracting 4 girls, one of which is killed because of his usual loner style of play biting him back, does not even count as a reason.
These days it seems that being smart, competent, and charismatic is enough to get labeled as a Marty Stu unless they're also given some horribly exaggerated flaw, or are regularly beaten over something stupid.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:42   Link #66
popsiclestix

I like this adaptation. The source material is short and making it 2 episodes would of dragged it out. Have to feel bad for Liz. You can see it in her eyes when she realizes she has no chance. It was also cool that Kirito understood what Liz was saying about him coming back every day. Most male main characters are too dense to get subtle hints.
popsiclestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:49   Link #67
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Great episode. I liked interaction between Kirito and Liz. I find it hilarious that Kirito broke one Liz's swords for testing. Ah, the most precious material=poop gag. Reminds of Luna Silver Star Story.

Next episode's title seems to reference the two swords that Kirito has in his possession.
Old 2012-08-18, 18:51   Link #68
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
What a cute sacred blacksmith. That blacksmith forged a sword weaker then the one Kirito currently uses. Although the one Kirito is using doesn't have + anything on it the one Lizbeth forged has +0 so I'm guessing it can be upgraded and the one Kirito currently use can't.
Old 2012-08-18, 18:58   Link #69
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
April (beginning of the mystery arc) to the end of June, we've probably moved from the 59th to nearly the 70th floor now, going off the notion of 8-10 days per floor.

Minor payoff on the item durability and items exploding when they're destroyed from last ep, also from Asuna's friend list... for those who insist the last arc didn't add anything to the show.
I knew someone would try to bait me in this thread.
Unless you think reverse foreshadowing is relevant or I couldn't figure out tracking friends is possible from this episode alone, you missed my point(s) in the previous thread, but that's no longer or or there.

Anyway, Kirito must really be into Asuna now, since he didn't deny anything to Lizbeth.
Looks like he didn't want to hurt Lizbeth's feelings because he's still got his old weapon equipped (it must've been still been crappier than his current weapon, lol).

Also, I'm no longer participating in this sub-forum anymore so you can all rejoice.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:07   Link #70
HandofFate

The blacksmith falling in love with Kirito was really quick.
I mean, she literally spent only a day with him.

Kirito pheromones are indeed strong.
Old 2012-08-18, 19:10   Link #71
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
April (beginning of the mystery arc) to the end of June, we've probably moved from the 59th to nearly the 70th floor now, going off the notion of 8-10 days per floor.

Minor payoff on the item durability and items exploding when they're destroyed from last ep, also from Asuna's friend list... for those who insist the last arc didn't add anything to the show.
8-10 days per floor? its been like over a year and a half and they only on floor 70 lolz. First floor took like months to clear or was it a single month.
Old 2012-08-18, 19:19   Link #72
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Alright, let's go with that. If 10% (10% of 1,000 is 100) of the players in the first episode were girls, and we've met less than 10 girls in the first 7 episodes. And while we're at it, let's say that half of those 100 died. We have around 50 left, then. Yeah, that's completely laughable to think that Kirito has run into, what, 5? 7? girls?
You missed a digit. There are 10,000 players, not 1,000. So he's run into 7 girls out of 500. It's pretty unlikely, but not absurdly unlikely. Must be his charisma stat.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:19   Link #73
karuroso

Spoiler for Comparison to the novel:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-18 at 19:26. Reason: Please use spoiler tags for comparisons
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:22   Link #74
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
You missed a digit. There are 10,000 players, not 1,000. So he's run into 7 girls out of 500. It's pretty unlikely, but not absurdly unlikely. Must be his charisma stat.
Opps. That was my allocated brainfart for the week. And that is precisely why one should never neglect the charisma stat in any RPG. P:
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:24   Link #75
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
These days it seems that being smart, competent, and charismatic is enough to get labeled as a Marty Stu unless they're also given some horribly exaggerated flaw, or are regularly beaten over something stupid.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsiclestix View Post
I like this adaptation. The source material is short and making it 2 episodes would of dragged it out. Have to feel bad for Liz. You can see it in her eyes when she realizes she has no chance. It was also cool that Kirito understood what Liz was saying about him coming back every day. Most male main characters are too dense to get subtle hints.
Many authors enjoy going with the cliche too much. I'm personally glad that he isn't the "usual dense protagonist" and that he can tell what she meant, especially with how she's struggling so hard to say it.
Old 2012-08-18, 19:25   Link #76
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
8-10 days per floor? its been like over a year and a half and they only on floor 70 lolz. First floor took like months to clear or was it a single month.
First floor took a single month to clear. Later floors have obviously gone faster as people survived, gained experience playing, and stopped having to compete for resources with 10000 other people doing stuff like clearing almost all monsters in an area in a day by themselves, then dying to the last few.

Still I'm pretty sure the average time is supposed to be longer than 8-10 days to clear a floor.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:27   Link #77
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopo View Post
I have no strong feelings towards the whole Marty Stu debate (hence the quotation marks in my previous post). I do think that the more important thing is being able to empathize with the character, which I've had no problem doing so far.
Yeah, the Marty Stu label might be unhelpful. I agree with you as to the importance of being able to empathize with a character, but I really can't do that with Kirito. Every episode (or rather "story") basically hits the reset button on Kirito. It's difficult to feel for Kirito's past pain and hardships when Kirito doesn't act like he experienced those tragedies.

You can take the Kirito from the beginning of Ep 1, Ep 2, Ep 3, Ep 4, Ep 5, and Ep 7 and they are essentially the same character: skilled SAO player but kind of a loner, slightly socially awkward, but willing to help others.

Another lulz-worthy moment from this episode though: apparently falling a few hundred feet into a dragon's nest will almost kill you, but falling thousands of feet off the side of the mountain gets you warmly embraced by a pink-haired cutie and a transition to her forge before you hit the ground and go splat.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:35   Link #78
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
God, Kirito, you lucky boy!!!! He really has the moves to get and break a girl's heart...

Yeah, about the earrings.... what was it?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:35   Link #79
bludvein

Well I can't say for sure, but we can assume they used their teleport crystals long before they hit the ground. They were clear of the dungeon/trap, so no reason they couldn't.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:45   Link #80
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
What's unlikely is not that he ran into girls but rather that he ran into the few cute ones. I am sure that the majority of the female population of Aincrad is not on the level of Asuna & co. They are geek gamers after all. You can probably count the pretty ones on one hand (though you might have to use binary notation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
First floor was one month. I haven't really been keeping track of the timeline on an episode by episode basis but if we go with 16 months for the other 69 floors or so we'd end up with 16*30/69=6.9 days per floor. So that estimate seems pretty accurate.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion