Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-16, 07:46   Link #5061
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Like I said, Yoko Takeo claimed the US government staged 9-11, or at least could have stopped it but allowed it to happen anyway, to get public support to invade Afghanistan because they wanted oil. My point there was the US government didn't need a 9-11 to make this case. They could have just focused on the Taliban's oppression to make a case for an invasion if they really wanted to invade. I was not attempting to provide a point by point discussion of what they would use to sell the war, just mentioning things off the top of my head.
Ah I get it now, so this is not your personal oppinion but what you believe would have been sufficient reasons for the USA to wage a war against Afghanistan. But I doubt sane people would see it that way (because of what I wrote in my postings).
Old 2009-12-16, 07:50   Link #5062
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Perhaps, but the US already had that too, the attack on the USS Cole.
I think these two are too different, by level of destruction, world reaction, and citizen recognition, to substitute each other.
Quote:
9-11 wouldn't have been necessary to sell the American public on a war.
though the greater the effect of a situation on the American public, the better...

how did they exactly calculate the American public's approval rating on this war? Where must it be based on?
Old 2009-12-16, 13:17   Link #5063
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
1. in the US we would have give him a medal not a prison sentence.

2. he should have finish the job before calling the police

3. what happen to being able to defend his life, family and property against vicious criminals?
I went looking for a similar story before making a comment about self defense or taking things too far when it comes to home invaders or robbers.

Houston, Texas US, Late 2007: (rough summary)
2 burglars (allegedely) from a drug gang robs a place down south. Neighbor sees this calls the cops. He's in no immediate danger but he sees the guys taking off. He even told the dispatcher what he was going to do before taking his gun and finishing them off (while they were running away).

The interesting thing here is the businessman was faced with armed robbers and could have been killed along with the family. Self defense here (or more like defend first then attack) cost him 30 months. The other one was just a neighbor who was in no immediate danger and the robbers I believe were unarmed (the case could be made they worked for a drug cartel or any other dangerous syndicate). He got protests from advocates but no prison time.

It could be a case of different country, different sentence. The fact remains, if you stop the robber they run away what happens then? (a) will they run and hide never to be heard from again? (b) will they rob someone else where in a worse case scenario the next victim's family gets killed. In the case of (b) the people could say to the first victim "you should have stopped them" and that person would be labeled the criminal anyway (no win situation).
Old 2009-12-16, 14:25   Link #5064
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Alzheimer's risk linked to level of appetite hormone
Indian sect members vow to marry sex workers
Swiss minaret appeal goes to European Court

The Best News I read today:
Scientists crack 'entire genetic code' of cancer
Old 2009-12-16, 16:50   Link #5065
mg1942

Loud commercials..... LEGISLATED!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...8436#34438436/

This law is too late, Billy Mays is dead.

Last edited by mg1942; 2009-12-16 at 17:12.
Old 2009-12-16, 20:22   Link #5066
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
I went looking for a similar story before making a comment about self defense or taking things too far when it comes to home invaders or robbers.

2 burglars (allegedely) from a drug gang robs a place down south. Neighbor sees this calls the cops. He's in no immediate danger but he sees the guys taking off. He even told the dispatcher what he was going to do before taking his gun and finishing them off (while they were running away).

The interesting thing here is the businessman was faced with armed robbers and could have been killed along with the family. Self defense here (or more like defend first then attack) cost him 30 months. The other one was just a neighbor who was in no immediate danger and the robbers I believe were unarmed (the case could be made they worked for a drug cartel or any other dangerous syndicate). He got protests from advocates but no prison time.

It could be a case of different country, different sentence. The fact remains, if you stop the robber they run away what happens then? (a) will they run and hide never to be heard from again? (b) will they rob someone else where in a worse case scenario the next victim's family gets killed. In the case of (b) the people could say to the first victim "you should have stopped them" and that person would be labeled the criminal anyway (no win situation).
Well, it's Texas =P

Anyways, there was also that case earlier where a student killed an attacker with a Katana, and the Police decided not to press charges.
Old 2009-12-17, 00:23   Link #5067
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
You're being polemic. No, obviously not whatever personality test he is given. Though I'm willing to put more trust into the decision of a psychologist who's looking into the case in 10 years than any layman in front of his TV now.

What if I rape and kill someone. What if you got run over by a bus tomorrow. Risks have to be assessed and evaluated. There is no such thing as a no risk society.
Quote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6959728.ece

His first bride, Margaret Mackintosh, a teenager he married when he was 23, told how he raped her three times and seemed to “enjoy my fear”. When she dared to fight he stabbed her and left her to die. She was rescued by neighbours after her blood dripped through the ceiling. She refused to press charges, but Tobin was later jailed for an unrelated offence.
On his release he met and married Sylvia Jefferies, who later described him as “pure and absolute evil”. She obtained a lifetime restraining order against him after fleeing with their son. In 1989 he married Cathy Wilson, 16. After six months she fled his violent rages, taking their son, Daniel, with her to Portsmouth.

He swapped his council house to move to Margate, Kent. Among the possessions he had crammed into a van to take him on the 500-mile journey were two bin bags containing the two halves of Vicky’s body. When he arrived he buried her remains in the garden.
He then moved to Havant, near Portsmouth, where he raped two 14-year-old girl babysitters after slipping amitriptyline into their drinks. One girl managed to stab him in the leg before he beat her unconscious and raped her. With both girls unconscious he turned on the gas and left them to die. One girl woke up and they escaped. The beaten teenager spent six weeks on a life support machine before recovering.
While working as a handyman at St Patrick’s in Glasgow in 2006, Tobin met Angelika Kluk, a part-time cleaner at the church. The body of the 23-year-old Polish student was later found under the church floor.
Detectives described Tobin as deeply egotistical — he told them to “p*** off” when asked about Vicky’s murder — and someone who enjoys the limelight. In interviews he referred to women in the crudest of terms — “She was a poke, that was it. End of story.”
1. do you feel peter tobin should ever be allow out of prison
2. if a prison pyschologist said Tobin has been reform and should be release, would you ever let him babysit your daughter (if you had one) or near any of your female relatives.

Quote:
Is Charles Manson even in prison or in some mental facility? I though he is mentally ill. In any case, you can answer the question by yourself from what I wrote already.
Manson is in prison and will die in prison. He has been denied prole for the last 30 years and most likely baring a act of god will never be granted prole for the reminder of his life.
Old 2009-12-17, 00:28   Link #5068
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

1. No.
2. No.
And. He should be hanged. And before you oppose the death penalty for him, think: One life for half a dozen broken ones? That's a steal!
Old 2009-12-17, 00:50   Link #5069
mg1942

Obama's Push for Copenhagen Deal Could Violate Constitution
Old 2009-12-17, 01:14   Link #5070
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
"Who will President Obama heed?" Vince Haley, vice president of policy at American Solutions for Winning the Future, wrote in an opinion article published in FoxNews.com. "The American people and our constitutional system of checks and balances, or the collection of dictators, tyrants, and most undemocratic heads of government convened by the United Nations in Copenhagen this week?
Yes, the President is actually in secret talks right now carving up the United States into new territories ruled by North Korea, Iran, and Bin Laden.

Why do people believe this stuff?

Also, American Solutions. Surprise, an organization headed by Newt Gingrich, proud supporters of "Drill Here Drill Now". Who knew it was more than a theme song for the clueless?
Old 2009-12-17, 01:30   Link #5071
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
1. No.
2. No.
And. He should be hanged. And before you oppose the death penalty for him, think: One life for half a dozen broken ones? That's a steal!
those questions were directed at slice of life who somehow feels that anyone can be reform and as long as someone is willing to say they are reform should be let out of prison.

if anyone ever wonder if people can actually be born evil. i think this guy answer that question. if perter tobin ever did anything good in his life it was probably a accident.
Old 2009-12-17, 01:40   Link #5072
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Isn't this similar situation with Wilson and League of Nation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Yes, the President is actually in secret talks right now carving up the United States into new territories ruled by North Korea, Iran, and Bin Laden.

Why do people believe this stuff?

Also, American Solutions. Surprise, an organization headed by Newt Gingrich, proud supporters of "Drill Here Drill Now". Who knew it was more than a theme song for the clueless?
Excellent *in Mr.Burns tone*.
Old 2009-12-17, 02:04   Link #5073
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

North Korea sharply revalues currency to curb inflation

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...021683/1/.html

Spoiler for space:

so what would this mean for North Korea? It seems that people are not happy over this. I am hoping this would mean the regime is on the verge of collapse (well more than they usually are) and some dramatic reform must come in order for them to survive later on.
Old 2009-12-17, 02:17   Link #5074
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post

Texas views things a little bit differently from the rest of the world. You have a right to defend and protect your neighbor's property. Hence why Horn didn't even get a slap on the wrist for killing the robbers.

It's where I plan on moving to should my dad move from California or pass away(he's the only thing keeping me in this state).
Old 2009-12-17, 02:26   Link #5075
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post

so what would this mean for North Korea? It seems that people are not happy over this. I am hoping this would mean the regime is on the verge of collapse (well more than they usually are) and some dramatic reform must come in order for them to survive later on.
Currency revaluations aren't that uncommon. They're usually a bad sign though. Of course look at Zimbabwe's currency and the massive inflation they've had. North Korea doing it once in 17 years with a 100-1 exchange rate isn't nearly bad as Zimbabwe's every few weeks with a 1,000,000 to one exchange rate due to hyper inflation.
Old 2009-12-17, 02:39   Link #5076
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post

It depends. With less reliance on their local currency, the government might even eliminate their currency to minimal domestic use then trade technodollars with China.

At any rate, this could spell disaster for the rest of the world if NK gains a military foothold. They have a capability to conquer SK with sufficient technological advantage.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-12-17, 02:54   Link #5077
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It depends. With less reliance on their local currency, the government might even eliminate their currency to minimal domestic use then trade technodollars with China.

At any rate, this could spell disaster for the rest of the world if NK gains a military foothold. They have a capability to conquer SK with sufficient technological advantage.
No, NK doesn't have the economical capabilities to last very long in a war of aggression. But I am sure FoxNews knows better.
Old 2009-12-17, 03:13   Link #5078
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
No, NK doesn't have the economical capabilities to last very long in a war of aggression. But I am sure FoxNews knows better.
Heheh . But don't forget that China uses NK as an avenue for their black market trade.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-12-17, 06:24   Link #5079
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Heheh . But don't forget that China uses NK as an avenue for their black market trade.
I'm so sure. For comparison, DPRK spends nearly all its budget on the military in the name of Juche, and it isn't even near Singapore, which spends SGD10.6b (USD5.8b) and just 4% of its budget.

For DPRK it's SGD5b AND 95% of budget. Then again their police is Military Police...
Old 2009-12-17, 08:49   Link #5080
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
1. do you feel peter tobin should ever be allow out of prison
2. if a prison pyschologist said Tobin has been reform and should be release, would you ever let him babysit your daughter (if you had one) or near any of your female relatives.
1. No
2. No, and I'd send that psychologist to see a psychologist because you have to be mentally ill or foolishly idealistic and therefore dangerous to other people, to allow that kind of person to go out after all that he has done.

And I'll add

Quote:
3. Would you allow death penalty or at least irrevocable perpetuity (no appeal) to such criminals
3.Yes. And if DP is chosen, bullet in the head + dig a mere hole and put the corpse inside just like that. Cost not must money, and good riddance.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international