AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Old 2012-03-11, 13:25   Link #261
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kaji Yuuki as the MC is never an interesting choice.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 17:50   Link #262
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I liken having Yuki Kaji as the MC as to having a Billy Talent/Simple Plan/Green Day song for the opening. As long as he doesn't make that horribly sound though I'll probably survive though.

In all seriousness though I just don't think this guy is cut out as a leading voice even though the industry seems to be trying to foist him on us quite agressively of late. He just lacks presence and charisma and if it weren't for the whole constantly being cast as the whimpering loser "hero" I'd say there's not much that defines his roles as a voice actor or makes them memorable in any way. He's fine as a supporting voice actor like say in Gundam AGE where he plays Asemu's dorky whimpering loser friend that stays in the background for the most part, but look what happens when you place him as a lead in say Aquarion or Guilty Crown. The former I'm not sure he even registers as a thing to care about to most viewers and the later is legendary in the amount of hatred the character has garnered.

If this sudden surge in Yuki Kaji roles has been an experiment to see how well he tests with audiences I'd say it's failed pretty miserably.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 18:11   Link #263
leokiko

Really? I think he is doing an pretty great job as Issei.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 19:49   Link #264
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
If this sudden surge in Yuki Kaji roles has been an experiment to see how well he tests with audiences I'd say it's failed pretty miserably.
Ignoring his increasing number of lead and supporting roles in anime he has:
  • Won the 3rd Annual Seiyuu Awards for Best Male Newcomer (2009)
  • Had his own short online tv program (2009), amongst other appearances in the usual programs frequented by seiyuu
  • Lead role in a live action movie about voice actors (2011)
  • The 6th most followed Japanese voice actor on twitter (2012)
  • Debut single reached 11th place on Oricon charts (2012)
Yup, his career sure isn't taking off.

His vocal range has not been particularly wide but I personally think he a enough presence as a male lead. Shu would've gained the same amount of resentment regardless because that's just how he's written.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 20:10   Link #265
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kaji was mediocre long before Guilty Crown was ever on anyone's mind.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 20:26   Link #266
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Kaji was mediocre long before Guilty Crown was ever on anyone's mind.
Heh, different strokes and all that. That's fine.

Fact is his current prominence isn't as "That medicore guy no one likes but is being pushed in our faces" but rather actual positive reception in Japan. As his fan I'll keep enjoying this Kaji boom until it inevitably dies down. I'll stop right here before the topic goes off any further.
Old 2012-03-11, 20:34   Link #267
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Arakawa Under the Bridge 2Fact is his current prominence isn't as "That medicore guy no one likes but is being pushed in our faces" but rather actual positive reception in Japan. As his fan I'll keep enjoying this Kaji boom until it inevitably dies down.
I really have nothing against the guy personnaly but I really wonder what makes him so popular.

Maybe he's got a real nice charisma in real life that for some reason I've never seen come across in his acting.
Old 2012-03-11, 20:35   Link #268
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I liken having Yuki Kaji as the MC as to having a Billy Talent/Simple Plan/Green Day song for the opening. As long as he doesn't make that horribly sound though I'll probably survive though.

In all seriousness though I just don't think this guy is cut out as a leading voice even though the industry seems to be trying to foist him on us quite agressively of late. He just lacks presence and charisma and if it weren't for the whole constantly being cast as the whimpering loser "hero" I'd say there's not much that defines his roles as a voice actor or makes them memorable in any way. He's fine as a supporting voice actor like say in Gundam AGE where he plays Asemu's dorky whimpering loser friend that stays in the background for the most part, but look what happens when you place him as a lead in say Aquarion or Guilty Crown. The former I'm not sure he even registers as a thing to care about to most viewers and the later is legendary in the amount of hatred the character has garnered.

I really liked his Shu.
Old 2012-03-11, 20:40   Link #269
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I really have nothing against the guy personnaly but I really wonder what makes him so popular.

Maybe he's got a real nice charisma in real life that for some reason I've never seen come across in his acting.
From what I've seen of him outside of anime he's a real fun guy. It's also one of the reason I like him so much. In fact, a lot of seiyuu are really enjoyable be it on radio, live events or variety programs.
Old 2012-03-11, 22:12   Link #270
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I really liked his Shu.
I hate it honestly. I have a hard time watching anything that sounds like Shu because it reminds me of the character. Not his voices fault of course.
Old 2012-03-11, 22:52   Link #271
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
My god, Yoshino as writer and Kaji Yuuki again?

Another budged thingy?

No.6 was the first impact of someone with that annoying voice in a budgeted animu, Guilty Crown is second impact, and this... well.... I think we're fucked. *

It's an adaptation though so there's hope. And it's not a dig at the VA himself; he just gets pigeonholed into terrible roles often-- just like Rie Kugimiya.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 23:05   Link #272
Miraluka
Banned

There is far more hope since Sunrise is not used to allow ass pull things from its writers, the director gives me that feel at least.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2012-03-11 at 23:16.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 23:14   Link #273
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Hmm, really?

Well, the female lead looks nice... might give it a shot.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-03-11, 23:19   Link #274
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
There is far more hope since Sunrise is not used to allow ass pull things from its writers, the director gives me that feel at least.
Haven't seen it but I've always heard My-hime had an ass pull ending,have I heard wrong?
Old 2012-03-11, 23:33   Link #275
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Haven't seen it but I've always heard My-hime had an ass pull ending,have I heard wrong?
It did (And haha, it's the same writer this time too) But at least it was good at to that point. I can't say the same for some his other work (Otome, *cough-*)

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-03-12, 06:06   Link #276
Undertaker

I don't get it, what is this hate with Yoshino and Kaji Yuuki coming from?

Both have been prominent with a career that are filled with more success than failure and somehow they got blasted?

It anything, both are highly regarded in the only market that matters and proven then can get the job done more often than not.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:24   Link #277
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Quote:
I guess what I meant by "interesting" would be how he would fit into voicing this character. I don't see how his usual voices from his most recent roles would work for this MC (wimpy, loser protagonist vibes aside).

I was kind of surprised to find him cast, to be honest.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 06:35   Link #278
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post

Both have been prominent with a career that are filled with more success than failure and somehow they got blasted?

It anything, both are highly regarded in the only market that matters and proven then can get the job done more often than not.
Yoshino - Crashed and burned Mai Hime franchise in Mai Otome. Crashed and burned Code Geass franchise in Code Geass R2. Crashed and burned Guilty Crown. Wrote that vile Sequion no Qwaser manga. Wrote that bad Macross anime that I dare not speak its name. Contributed to Gundam Seed, the worst Gundam esries in existence. A bunch of other forgettable titles too. No reason to hate? This guy's a menace on the anime industry!

Kaji Yuuki - He lacks range. When he tries to do an emotional scene it just sounds really bad. He only ever seems to strike one role, the sentimental getting down on himself male lead. He's not terrible, but has played some terribly written characters honestly. There's definitely better out there, so that's why he's simply mediocre. Not a menace like Yoshino by any means,
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 06:40   Link #279
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yoshino - Crashed and burned Mai Hime franchise in Mai Otome. Crashed and burned Code Geass franchise in Code Geass R2. Crashed and burned Guilty Crown. Wrote that vile Sequion no Qwaser manga. Wrote that bad Macross anime that I dare not speak its name. Contributed to Gundam Seed, the worst Gundam esries in existence. A bunch of other forgettable titles too. No reason to hate? This guy's a menace on the anime industry!

Kaji Yuuki - He lacks range. When he tries to do an emotional scene it just sounds really bad. He only ever seems to strike one role, the sentimental getting down on himself male lead. He's not terrible, but has played some terribly written characters honestly. There's definitely better out there, so that's why he's simply mediocre. Not a menace like Yoshino by any means,
Please don't call Qwaser the vilest manga created by Yoshino ! It looks better than the anime adaptation. And don't call Macross F and Gundam Seed as worst animes ever, they're considered by many people as the best animes ever ! Plus, I never understand why Yoshino is hated !

As for Yuuki Kaji, most of his roles are wimpy protagonist-type. He's even able to voice very feminine-looking characters, such as Nile from Goulart Knights. Now in Accel World, this is the first time I see Kaji handling his role as the fat-looking protagonist.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 06:51   Link #280
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
For me personaly Yuuki Kaiji's acting does nothing for me 95% of the time.I know that's subjective. It doesn't mean I hate the guy,there's plenty of VAs that do nothing for me,it's just that the others don't keep getting big roles in anime I watch.
I'm trying hard to appreciate what he has to offer because I see he's not going anywhere,but right now I have a hard time doing it.

I've got nothing against Yoshino though,I forgave Araki for GC,might as well forgive Yoshino as well,and I'm just not that familiar with his other works,if anything I find Sora no Woto underated.

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, sci-fi, shounen