AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-13, 12:27   Link #221
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well clearly that is what the world of fiction needs: Sparkling Zombies.
Trying to imagine Highschool of the Dead with sparkling zombies...hm...should we make them pretty too?
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 17:51   Link #222
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

A
s this was an introductory epsiode nothing much happened . Here are my thoughts on this epsiode .

I was expecting some blood guts or something gruesome in the opening scenes but we introduced to Megumi . Megumi reminds me of another character I can put my finger . And no definitely no moe so don't even go thinking in that direction . Megumi chan's fantasies are funny she is turning out to be an interesting character . Her sense of faux grandeur and shojoish outlook on life is sweet in a silly way ..

The fly squatting on the iris was pretty neat was a breath of fresh air . I also liked the surrealism and the level of detail w.r.p. to corpses . I delighted by that scene as I signed up for horror/mystery and not chronicles from Megumi's life . Though duly noted they are hilarious .

I know this fiction and sense of realism can be overlooked . But isn't a European style castle/mansion bit strange in the Japanese countryside ? . Speaking of countryside the backgrounds and the scenery was breathtaking . With the constant chirping of insects, almost felt like we were being transported into a Quasi Ghibli Universe . Though not a comparison here are some images of countryside in general ( 1 / 2 / 3 )

The other character which I noticed/fascinating were the Ozaki Sensei and the Inn/Eatery Owner . Meanwhile here are some fanarts .

Old 2010-07-13, 18:12   Link #223
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
I know this fiction and sense of realism can be overlooked . But isn't a European style castle/mansion bit strange in the Japanese countryside ? . Speaking of countryside the backgrounds and the scenery was breathtaking . With the constant chirping of insects, almost felt like we were being transported into a Quasi Ghibli Universe . Though not a comparison here are some images of countryside in general ( 1 / 2 / 3 )
I think it is as well and that's why people were commenting on the house and on how strange it was.
Old 2010-07-13, 18:28   Link #224
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think it is as well and that's why people were commenting on the house and on how strange it was.
from my understanding it was also rebuilt like that fairly recently? or at least at some point, don't feel like digging around atm >.>
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 19:25   Link #225
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
from my understanding it was also rebuilt like that fairly recently?
They said it HAD been an old mansion, which was torn down and replaced with the western-style building for the new occupants.
Old 2010-07-14, 10:07   Link #226
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Megumi reminds me of another character I can put my finger

Was reminded of Ame Warashi from XXXHOLiC esp Megumi with an Umbrella . Oh yeah we can always agree to disagree on similarities .

Quote:

Old 2010-07-15, 03:41   Link #227
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

The house is a nod to Akumajo Dracula, Demon Castle Dracula... also know as Castlevania.

Dracula's castle just appears in random places around the world, usually in places where it stands out.

I'd roll on the floor laughing in Yuuki ends up being the reincarnation of the first vampire ever or a dhampir.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 14:39   Link #228
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep2 confirms my feeling that this is the best show of the season. Visually outstanding, with inventive direction and a pace that is not fast, but keeps the plot moving.

Sasaki Nozomi was terrific as the nurse: she has really grown and gained control and flexibility in her voice, without losing her characteristic gentleness.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 15:15   Link #229
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Ep2 confirms my feeling that this is the best show of the season.
Without a doubt, I'm a huge fan of anime based on Ono Fuyumi's work and this one is no exception.
Old 2010-07-15, 16:11   Link #230
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Ep2 confirms my feeling that this is the best show of the season. Visually outstanding, with inventive direction and a pace that is not fast, but keeps the plot moving.
I agree with all of this. Helps that without a doubt, has the best score and music placement of the season.

Spoiler for Episode 02:
Old 2010-07-15, 16:38   Link #231
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 16:48   Link #232
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I wish there was a preview...
I'm pretty glad there isn't, because this is one title where it's quite difficult to tell what's going to happen next, and we can keep that going much longer with there being no preview.
Old 2010-07-15, 17:25   Link #233
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

The fact that I find myself unable to give an opening rating for this show even two episodes in says a lot.

If it was a normal, predictable show, I could rate my opening impression, but it manages to remain enough of an enigma that I'm unable to predict whether I will like what happens next, or if I will absolutely hate it. Either way, I know I won't stop watching it. Very interesting show. Regardless of my personal enjoyment of it, I'm sure I'll have to give the series a high rating in the end.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 18:40   Link #234
Fawx9

Hmm second episode continues the setup of the series.

I still have no idea who is supposed to be the main character. The doctor perhaps or maybe the friend? Hell this might pull a Baccano and have no MC.

Spoiler for speculation:
Fawx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:12   Link #235
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

The series seems somewhat original. From what I've garnered on the web and with reading a few issues of the graphic novels, there are supposed to be one or two "main" characters but it's pretty much all about the ensemble of characters and the town.

Anyhow, Megumi was quite a sad character. She's got some sort of complex. She wants to be the center of attention and live the life of a Barbie doll, like many teenage girls. Even though she hates the people around her, they all genuinely care about her. The town jumps to action when news got out of her disappearance. Too bad she didn't appreciate it. If she is the victim of some sort of undead curse, I sure hope she'll redeem herself.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 22:37   Link #236
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post

Anyhow, Megumi was quite a sad character. She's got some sort of complex. She wants to be the center of attention and live the life of a Barbie doll, like many teenage girls. Even though she hates the people around her, they all genuinely care about her. The town jumps to action when news got out of her disappearance. Too bad she didn't appreciate it. If she is the victim of some sort of undead curse, I sure hope she'll redeem herself.
But that's what a small town is expected to do. It's what Yuuki said, they assign roles whether it's real or not. Their "role" is to come together and find the missing girl. Their "role" was to go to her funeral even if they didn't like her as you got a hint of their feelings from the comments in the funeral procession.

The girl who thought that she was Megumi's childhood friend thought that Yuuki had feeling for Megumi just from an unmailed postcard from Megumi. You could tell that this girl wasn't on Megumi's top 10 friend list by the way Megumi reacted to her.

The place is rearing it's superficial head.
Old 2010-07-15, 22:44   Link #237
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Anyhow, Megumi was quite a sad character. She's got some sort of complex. She wants to be the center of attention and live the life of a Barbie doll, like many teenage girls.

If she is the victim of some sort of undead curse, I sure hope she'll redeem herself.
Mmm... I don't really think so. She wants to get out of the small town and acts as possible unlike country-people by dressing like that and avoiding stuff related to the town. She wouldn't want to be in the center of attention because she doesn't even want the people in the town to talk to her.

I hope she stalks Natsuno-kun again

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You could tell that this girl wasn't on Megumi's top 10 friend list by the way Megumi reacted to her.
Well, probably she was on the top 10 friends list, but there is a large blank between the title of the list and the names. Since she reacts to almost everything in the village that way, I don't really think she has any friends she considered friends, based on what you say.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 00:12   Link #238
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Definitely blogging this... Though Seikimatsu Occult Gakuen is the standout series of the season thus far for me. This is good, though - the first two eps have been very successful in creating the unsettled and stifling atmosphere of Sotoba. I have a soft spot for shows that present weird occurrences in little mountain villages in Japan. There's some awfully good direction here - interesting visual flair.

It's a bit ponderous for me - the tone slightly one-note (heavy and dark). I haven't really bonded to any of the characters, and with such a huge cast that may continue to be an issue. On balance though I'm quite pleased - this is a genre piece, but so far it looks like a pretty good one.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 00:43   Link #239
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I sympathize with both Megumi and Natsuno. I know how bad it feels to be a teenager living in the last place you ever want to be (in my case, it was the suburbs). I can remember sitting in my room at night looking out at the stars and wishing the aliens would come and get me. It tends to drive you a little crazy. I can understand both of them refusing to be nice to people in that place, since that feels like binding yourself there. It's not the best behavior possible, but it seems pretty human to me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 01:02   Link #240
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

Saw the first two episodes and I though they were good, well I have read the manga so I know the direction this is going but I have to say they are doing a very good job animating this and also setting the mood to let us know that something creepy is going on.

BTW does anybody else get this Macy Gray feeling while hearing the ending?
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, shounen, supernatural, vampire