AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-03, 00:58   Link #101
Crackabad

wait, u mean when shes trying to find a picture of kitamura to lamenate?
i thot that was still a pic of kitamura, not ryuuji.
when they're at ryuuji's house? and she leaves soon after?
Old 2011-02-03, 14:11   Link #102
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second

When she leaves Ryuji's house. It kinda reminded me the tsundere effect, she started to get her real feelings and ran away inmediately after
Old 2011-02-05, 02:41   Link #103
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Again nearly on the deadline but i finally have time to watch it...

Episode 4: "That look you has".

FLUFFY TAIGA CARNIVAL!

Another semi-breather episode but this time focusin more on the realtionship between Taiga and Kitamura, for the most part helps to show in great detail the degree of lovefever Taiga have for Kitamura(which is pretty high, enough to make her even more clumsy than usual xDU). The chapter basically show Taiga's dere side blooming on all it's fluffy glory which is both hilarious and a bit creepy(from saying old TV quotes to slurping over his photos claiming te have a "Kitamura Carnival" o_O). And then, we finally learn the trigger of Taiga's fixation with him that started with Kitamura's confession to her the past year.

Ironically, Taiga rejects him but not out of anger but admittedly she was scarred and confused by the sudden and strange confession(more proof of Kitamura's weird selection of words anytime he wants to say something actually important xDU) and now she's suffering by having lost such a great chance(Ryuuji call her on this, obviously).

Talking about Ryuuji, this chapter also show more and more of his ingreasing over-protective behavior towards Taiga, acting as the mature one when Taiga is ashamed or angry for all this love crazyness xD. By this point i think it's safe to assume that are more hints at Taiga's developing feelings than Ryuuji's, right now he's apparently stuck on his Big Brother/Father stance.

All in all good chapter, i rewatched three times, one to read the subs, another to undestand the plot a bit more and a third one just to watch the parade of Taiga's expressions during the chapter xDDDD!!!

Favourite scenes:

- "Sleepy Taiga" scene(what the hell is she dreaming? also she's pretty volatile on mornings xDU)
- "OHAAA!" scene(so contagious that manage to spawn a nicovideo MAD xD).
- "Taiga VS Sumire Round 1"(everybody here knows where the Roun 2 takes place xDU)
- "Palmtop Tiger" (i like how this chapter make fun of Taiga's height repeatedly xD).

Well, the wait is finally over ...prepare yourselves for Ami-chan xD!

See ya on Chapter 5: "Kawashima Ami".

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-02-05, 10:03   Link #104
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFlames View Post
When she leaves Ryuji's house. It kinda reminded me the tsundere effect, she started to get her real feelings and ran away inmediately after
I thought that was more of her seeing him in a better light, not so much a romantic one. Along the lines of "He's not such a bad dog, after all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Again nearly on the deadline but i finally have time to watch it...

Episode 4: "That look you has".

FLUFFY TAIGA CARNIVAL!

Another semi-breather episode but this time focusin more on the realtionship between Taiga and Kitamura, for the most part helps to show in great detail the degree of lovefever Taiga have for Kitamura(which is pretty high, enough to make her even more clumsy than usual xDU). The chapter basically show Taiga's dere side blooming on all it's fluffy glory which is both hilarious and a bit creepy(from saying old TV quotes to slurping over his photos claiming te have a "Kitamura Carnival" o_O). And then, we finally learn the trigger of Taiga's fixation with him that started with Kitamura's confession to her the past year.

Ironically, Taiga rejects him but not out of anger but admittedly she was scarred and confused by the sudden and strange confession(more proof of Kitamura's weird selection of words anytime he wants to say something actually important xDU) and now she's suffering by having lost such a great chance(Ryuuji call her on this, obviously).
Yes, it is a great example of our klumsy Taiga can be. To reject the guy and then take notice of him and all.

Quote:
- "OHAAA!" scene(so contagious that manage to spawn a nicovideo MAD xD).
Wow... Nico Nico Douga has everything, haha. That is really funny but too long. Couldn't watch it all, lol.

Quote:
Well, the wait is finally over ...prepare yourselves for Ami-chan xD!

See ya on Chapter 5: "Kawashima Ami".
Old 2011-02-05, 11:04   Link #105
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 5.

Lol. I loved Ryuuji's reaction when Ami totally bullshitted to him in the second half and he knew it. Priceless. Minori contunues to be crazy and awesome, as we see in the letter exchange bit.

And anyway, 165cm is not that small. She's only 10cm smaller than I am!
Old 2011-02-05, 21:54   Link #106
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Episode 5 - Kawashima Ami

Awesome, just so awesome. Great laughs through out and Ami is just win. I love her hidden evil smirks, like at Ryuji after their chat near the vending machine. And her true self is so awesome. We had a great set up here for what's going to be a great arc. Oh, and its amazing that Ryuji isn't the least bit embarrassed or awkward with Yasuko. I know he is used to it and all, but some kids still remain embarrassed with that stuff and all.

Novel changes are available upon request. But you really have to read it. The extra descriptions about the characters, like Ami and Yasuko, are wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Episode 5.

Lol. I loved Ryuuji's reaction when Ami totally bullshitted to him in the second half and he knew it. Priceless. Minori contunues to be crazy and awesome, as we see in the letter exchange bit.
Minori is off the wall. What was great was her quick return to her seat before the teacher turned around, lol.

Quote:
And anyway, 165cm is not that small. She's only 10cm smaller than I am!
She was describing Ami.
Old 2011-02-05, 22:50   Link #107
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ohhh Kawashima Ami. You're facade was so damn obvious to Taiga and eventually to Ryuji. After a while you just realize that no one likes that thick mask you put on. Ryuji and I'm sure even Taiga and the audience likes you more when you were brusque, straight-talking and tactless. I mean come on first episode appearance and she already threw off every single mannerism and idiosyncrasies in the book that you HAD to be suspicious.
Old 2011-02-06, 11:12   Link #108
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Minori is off the wall. What was great was her quick return to her seat before the teacher turned around, lol.
She is good at these sorts of things
Old 2011-02-06, 14:25   Link #109
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Ohhh Kawashima Ami. You're facade was so damn obvious to Taiga and eventually to Ryuji. After a while you just realize that no one likes that thick mask you put on. Ryuji and I'm sure even Taiga and the audience likes you more when you were brusque, straight-talking and tactless. I mean come on first episode appearance and she already threw off every single mannerism and idiosyncrasies in the book that you HAD to be suspicious.
It was only obvious to Ryuji after he was told. She had him wrapped around her thumb before Kitamura ruined his dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
She is good at these sorts of things
She has many talents.
Old 2011-02-10, 18:23   Link #110
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Well, this time i manage to post a bit sooner(but still somehow late xDU).

Episode 5: "Kawashima Ami"

Where do i start? this is the introduction ofmy third favourite character of the series after Taiga and Ryuuji and the reasons are ovbvious, Ami is one of the main motor that keep things in motion in Toradora! She isn't as hammy as Minorin but she definetly have her own way to take the scenario for herself, plus she's also a very lovable and entertaining Libby xD. But let's talk abotu the chapter.

I like how the chapter starts because it gives a pretty quick introduction to Ami's character unlike the rest of the main cast that take two episodes to fully introduce themselves, also it gives more hints at the growing trust between Taiga and Ryuuji(Ryuuji deliberately nogotiates a meal at Johnny's in exchange for his services, pretty clever xD) they're so bonded that even Ami was fooled(like everyone else at the beginning) into thinking that they are lovers and thus quickly advance to leave her mark into "Taiga's terrotory"(a "popular girls" thing i guess). I can really understand how Kitamura and Ami can be such good friends, despite his "weitness", Kitamura is a very perceptive and understanging guy who isn't fooles easily by a person's external behavior 9 times out of 10, so it's probably(and heavily implied) that he knows the reasons behind Ami's way to relating with others and being a good firned of hers wants her to be able to be honest with herself. Takasu was initially tricked by Ami-chan's skills but Kitamura wisely snap him out of it rather fast and then, one of my favourite moments of the entire series came into fruition: Ami-chan VS. The Palmtop Tiger.

I just adore the chemistry between Taiga and Ami, is funny, entertaining and heartwarming at some point. Their first encounter is exactly what nearly everyone on the audience was thinking before it happens, Ami reveal her true jerkassness and Taiga properly cuts her crap with a well placed slap, and the guys watched the whole scene. In school the teasing between the two continues, this time with Amy trying to take Ryuuji away from Taiga(which is funny because Ryuuji perfectly knows about her act and even near cracks a little about it xD) and finally taking the upper han(sort of) by finding Taiga's weakness about Kitamura. Minorin gets special mention because unlike everyone(Taiga and Ryuuji included) she isn't fooled by Ami's act in the slightiest, instinctively knowing that she isn't honest about herself(which to those who are already watched the series feels more or less like a lampshading about Minori's own dishonest heart), her response to Ryuuji's question about "airheads" is hammy and funny as hell xD. Ryuuji conforting Taiga after she was crying because of Ami's teasing was also very cute and give more hints of Ryuuji-papa behavior, he thinks Taiga's reaction to this is a bit childish but her response is that as a girl she's more sensitive about those things(the two have valid points, tough), finally they find out that Ami is far away from perfection as she apparently have her own dark secrets which Taiga find pretty amusing, probably thinking in "payback time"(i love her delinquent smile xD).

Well, all of the main characters are finally introduced The chapter makes a pretty great job at introducing Ami's persona but one more chapter will be needed to properly show aspects of her personal life and how she will fit into this bunch. For the moment this chapter i less episodic and more related to the overall plot so here's my favourite scenes:

- "True Ami" scene(Ami knows how to smug someone with style but also proves that the Palmtop Tiger won't receive your bullcrap easily).
- "Scary Minorin" scene(not much to say it just cracks me up xD).
- "Ami-chan's 2nd assault" scene(i feel a bit sorry for Taiga but also for some reason i find watching Ami's smart bullying very entertaining, i really enjoy seeing her being a "Libby" xD).
- "Taiga's suffering" scene(Heartwarming and funny, this apparently become Taiga and Ryuuji's trend for the rest of the series and i like it).

After the Next chapter finally things will start to roll out at a more faster pace so for the moment i'll go back to my homework.

See ya on the apropiately named Chapter 6: "True Self".

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-02-10 at 18:45.
Old 2011-02-10, 18:29   Link #111
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Ami totally stole the show. I did notice the chemistry with Taiga and Ryuji in the beginning as well, they have spent a lot of time together now after all. The best are the Taiga vs. Ami scenes because they have great chemistry. They are opposites in so many ways, but still the same. Well, I look forward to Taiga's revenge. But she's soon to learn that Ami fights back.
Old 2011-02-12, 13:47   Link #112
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ugh.... first of year taxes, financial statements for colleges, and work kept me from doing this much less watch much of any current series. Carry on.
Old 2011-02-13, 02:21   Link #113
Fome

Episode 6: True Self

When Ami assumes her innocent girl act, I actually don't get the impression that she is desperate, insecure, or bears any other negative trait that usually accompanies such behavior. She seems to me, oddly enough, as supremely mature, and perhaps a little bored. Bored enough that playing the seductress or the class idol is not some sort of compensatory measure, but rather just a fun diversion. We'll just have to see how she develops
Old 2011-02-13, 10:16   Link #114
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I actually loved Ep6 for what it was worth. Seeing Ami unleash her true spoiled princess-like self was hilarious, or terrifying if you're on the receiving end of her personality as the stalker would experience first hand.
Old 2011-02-13, 21:20   Link #115
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Ahh... another great episode. The music was great, everything flowed smoothly.

Horie Yui is awesome. Her vocal range is impressive and she makes such a great Minori.

Ami, ah Ami-chan. So much fun when she unleashes her true self. She's slipping up more and more. Leave it to Taiga to push her over the edge though. And boy do they make her look scary.

Taiga was awesome again. I loved how she just nodded to Kitamura. She probably used all of her will power to move her neck, haha.

The club president is so funny. You simply don't find a girl like her, ever.

Oh... can't wait for the next episode. Ami-chan in a one-piece.

Novel changes by request again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
ugh.... first of year taxes, financial statements for colleges, and work kept me from doing this much less watch much of any current series. Carry on.
That's life. It's a long series, you are always welcome to join in later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Episode 6: True Self

When Ami assumes her innocent girl act, I actually don't get the impression that she is desperate, insecure, or bears any other negative trait that usually accompanies such behavior. She seems to me, oddly enough, as supremely mature, and perhaps a little bored. Bored enough that playing the seductress or the class idol is not some sort of compensatory measure, but rather just a fun diversion. We'll just have to see how she develops
The fact that she puts on the act means she is desperate and insecure. What makes it a good act is that you don't see it easily. But she does it so people like her because she is insecure with her true self.

Quote:
I actually loved Ep6 for what it was worth. Seeing Ami unleash her true spoiled princess-like self was hilarious, or terrifying if you're on the receiving end of her personality as the stalker would experience first hand.
She really can go from one extreme to the other.
Old 2011-02-13, 21:27   Link #116
Taufiq91

After watching Episode 5 for the second time, i really don't want Ami to be with ryuji.

With a personality like that, Ami does not deserve anyone. In real-life, she would get slapped and dumped a week after dating.
Old 2011-02-14, 09:14   Link #117
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

When I first watched this episde, it was the first time I had watched a romance where the bitchy girl didn't turn out to be a villian but was accepted as part of the group and encouraged to be bitchy so long as she didn't put on a facade. I still haven't encountered it anywhere else (unless you count tsunderes)
Old 2011-02-15, 17:30   Link #118
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I agree, seeing Ami vent her angry at the stalker was just great definitely best part of the episode , though Taiga convincing Ami to go to her place instead of Ryuji's was pretty amusing too. Also Ami's nickname from Taiga was started this episode .

And I am back on actively rewatching this now, I had gotten distracted for a few weeks .
MAL
Old 2011-02-15, 18:55   Link #119
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
After watching Episode 5 for the second time, i really don't want Ami to be with ryuji.

With a personality like that, Ami does not deserve anyone. In real-life, she would get slapped and dumped a week after dating.
She isn't that big of a bitch though. She has not said or done anything deserving of a slap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
When I first watched this episde, it was the first time I had watched a romance where the bitchy girl didn't turn out to be a villian but was accepted as part of the group and encouraged to be bitchy so long as she didn't put on a facade. I still haven't encountered it anywhere else (unless you count tsunderes)
She isn't encouraged to be a bitch, just be herself. She isn't that mean guys. It's just that what we have seen is when she is angry to she seems and sounds like a bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I agree, seeing Ami vent her angry at the stalker was just great definitely best part of the episode , though Taiga convincing Ami to go to her place instead of Ryuji's was pretty amusing too. Also Ami's nickname from Taiga was started this episode .

And I am back on actively rewatching this now, I had gotten distracted for a few weeks .
Taiga and Ami make such great rivals. I don't really like the Chihuahua nickname since I simply do not care for them. But she the nickname fits. And Chihuahua's in Japan do not look like the fugly Taco Bell one:
Old 2011-02-19, 06:24   Link #120
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's easy to say that episode 7 is just the usual swimsuit episode for the part Ami service (and that Minorin/Taiga if that's your thing). On the other hand, I think it's really the first time we see just how bonded and close Taiga and Ryuuji are. The entire scenes with Taiga's chest issue and Ryuuji's attempt to solve the matter is probably the first real time I realized just how radically different their relationship is from the usual run of the mill stuff we see in the genre.

Beyond the fanservice is, for me, the first real showcase of just how close these two are.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2011-02-19 at 07:11.
Closed Thread

Tags
re-watch, toradora