AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 32 22.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 29.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 20.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 7.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 6.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-27, 09:49   Link #121
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The other major issue is the ridiculousness of the deaths. There were so many of them in these two episodes and they were so unbelievable they became downright comical. It's hard to take a horror story seriously when you laugh at each deaths. It didn't bother me too much last week as I thought it was merely a hiccup, but what took place in this episode was the final straw. The pillar death for example was way too hilarious...
To be honest I stopped seeing those deaths as disturbing right after the teacher suicide incident so in the end I was mostly viewing these deaths as perversely entertaining and probably would've done so even if they hadn't brought in psycho grandma.

Overall, it's a pretty typical ending. In the end I didn't feel like I finished watching a clever horror mystery. It felt like I finished watching an exciting blood sport...
Old 2012-03-27, 09:55   Link #122
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
That was it I hoped for so much more from the ending

But otherwise it was a pretty good show with some awesome moments (creepy dolls and that mid-show nightmare ), but unfortunately again teenagers either catatonic or overreacting. They could have used the time to develop the cast, but that have given away more meta-clues about who was an-other

They could also make the heads a tad bit smaller, the character designs looked too lolified
Old 2012-03-27, 10:00   Link #123
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNeko View Post
May i know who is this? @.@
Spoiler for :
That was Arita (see the tally board/summary thread stickied here).
Old 2012-03-27, 10:32   Link #124
Viridian

Shouldn't Mei's memory of witnessing Mikami's death have been deleted when Reiko became the Another?
Old 2012-03-27, 10:39   Link #125
bartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
Shouldn't Mei's memory of witnessing Mikami's death have been deleted when Reiko became the Another?
I was thinking the same, but I read somewhere that the novel and manga didn't have that explanation right there so maybe this was how the anime tried to explain her dead
Old 2012-03-27, 10:43   Link #126
Solafighter
Hige

Is it now realy over? Or did Mei just troll us all.
Old 2012-03-27, 10:54   Link #127
inisipis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Is it now realy over? Or did Mei just troll us all.
I'll miss it too, and yes she does.

Mei: "I know who is the Another."

Kouichi: "Really, how so?"

Mei: "I have this magical doll's eye that makes me see the undead... Oh wait, I actually did saw her get stabbed by a psycho then fall and drowned in the river. Useless Magical eye."

It is still quite a satisfying series. Love the atmosphere the characters. Very amusing to watch each episode, even though some go way over. Overall I still find it an entertaining show.
Old 2012-03-27, 10:58   Link #128
Goggen

Quote:
It was. Remember, she didn't know who the Another was until she looked for it with her magical eye. Most likely, the memory came back to her once she knew.
Old 2012-03-27, 11:07   Link #129
inisipis

Quote:

In the novel she didn't witness the murder. I guess the Anime uses the moment to reveal how she really died, in a more definitive way for the audience.
Old 2012-03-27, 13:33   Link #130
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post

They could also make the heads a tad bit smaller, the character designs looked too lolified
I don't know I kinda liked the face design in this show. Maybe I didn't look at body parts together but faces were really nice.
Mikami really looked adult with makeup, you couldn't say that she's Reiko, or you could but still it could go both ways.
Old 2012-03-27, 14:17   Link #131
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think my biggest gripe is the big reveal. I think we should have seen Kou's shock face and then get all of the flashbacks to let us, the viewer, piece it all together before they finally showed Reiko's face. The dramatic effect just wasn't there for me. Maybe I was numb because of losing Izumi like that... I wanted to cry when she died but the anime didn't make it sad enough - and they really could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The other major issue is the ridiculousness of the deaths. There were so many of them in these two episodes and they were so unbelievable they became downright comical. It's hard to take a horror story seriously when you laugh at each deaths. It didn't bother me too much last week as I thought it was merely a hiccup, but what took place in this episode was the final straw. The pillar death for example was way too hilarious...
The way they all died did lose value. The creativeness was gone and the lead up that made all the others so painful was eliminated. I'm all for the shit hitting the fan, but they let things stray too far from what we were enjoying. Plus, all the time spent showing the other kids took away from the main characters. Should have focused on them more.

Quote:
Despite some bad choices from the anime staff, I can still say I very much enjoyed this series as a whole. I haven't had so much fun speculating about an anime in ages. 2 bad episodes don't erase 10 excellent ones. The journey is truly what mattered most for me in this case, and that journey was wonderful.
That is true. I need to keep this in mind more. I thoroughly enjoyed the first ten episodes but it's just so frustrating to have an ending that doesn't satisfy you... agghh!!
Old 2012-03-27, 14:22   Link #132
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNeko View Post
May i know who is this? @.@
Spoiler for :
She is Arita Matsuko, who was room mates with Kakinuma Sayuri. I'm kind of surprised no one else mentioned her because of her apparently being immune to explosions!

Seriously she wanders in a daze into a room, the whole damn room promptly explodes and next time we see her she wake ups in front of the building and runs off like someone who was just not thrown though a wall via a giant fire ball. Apparently they wanted to make doubly sure you know it was the same student because out of the whole class, she is the only one not dressed in the school uniform, but a bright yellow top and shorts.

They also wanted to make very sure that you knew Sayuri got even though she got trapped under the chandelier too. Either the librarian pulled her out when he went back in side, or she managed to get herself free.

Both Matsuko and Sayuri were shown clearly surviving, which out much harm, the overly complicated death traps Another started throwing in. Either P.A. Works really took a liking to those two, or there is something bigger going on.

Also to make it clear, I am really glad Sayuri and Matsuko survived! There were the only ones sadly out of a number of the background character I wanted to survive, that did.

Last edited by Stevie_Nix; 2012-03-27 at 15:43.
Old 2012-03-27, 14:29   Link #133
X207
Gamyūsa

i was also desensitized to the deaths but the last 2 eps were just brutal, much more so ep12. ive enjoyed the series so far.i wouldnt rank it as high as Higurashi or Ookami Kakushi but its just 1 step lower as there were a few more mysteries in those 2 series. its was just sadistically funny to see the guy get out under the fallen chandelier only to get hit by a falling pillar. did Akazawa die from the glass debris?
Old 2012-03-27, 14:38   Link #134
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
did Akazawa die from the glass debris?
Well yes, she suffered a massive blood loss because of the injuries, and thus died.
Old 2012-03-27, 14:40   Link #135
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

So one of my guesses were right! Although I never thought Reiko and Ms. Mikami were the same person - couldn't have known since the anime deliberately hid that info until the end. But I guess if that info was revealed, it would have been even easier to have guessed.

Although I was a bit suspicious of Reiko since Kouichi's father said in the first ep "say hi to your grandparents for me"...but he didn't mention saying "hi" to Reiko...which he would have if she was alive. But since there wasn't info connecting Reiko and Ms. Mikami, I dismissed Reiko.

It was a bit sad that Kouichi had to kill Reiko. She was his aunt after all.

It was rather convenient and interesting that the librarian decided to turn around and help the students. I didn't notice but did that asthma kid survive? From the look of it, I'm guessing Kazami also died?

So I guess all this may start again when school starts next year for the next unfortunate class 3-3 students. I guess there really is no permanent solution to end this curse. Maybe Akazawa will come back as the Another next year. I wonder if Kouichi and Mei left a similar tape to help the future class? Or better yet, the school should hire Mei as the Another detector at the beginning of each school year!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2012-03-27, 14:48   Link #136
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

A little late to the ending episode party.

I have to admit I was getting a bit desensitized to the deaths myself. Although, my heart did leap a bit when twin-braid+glasses girl (Kukinuma) was hit by the chandelier.

Spoiler for I know it was revealed a couple pages ago, but just in case.:

As a father in real life, I can't help but feel some empathy for the parents of those kids in Class 3-3. One family lost both of their children. I'm glad it's over...for now. What will happen next year? I'm assuming that the curse has not been eliminated permanently.

Endless "Not twin-braid+glasses girl!" Soul

Last edited by Endless Soul; 2012-03-27 at 14:53. Reason: Getting the name right
Old 2012-03-27, 14:50   Link #137
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
I wonder if Kouichi and Mei left a similar tape to help the future class?
Have you watched the last portion, after the ending credits? Mochizuki and Teshigawara do provide the tape for future generations.
Old 2012-03-27, 14:51   Link #138
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Spoiler for Another Ep 12 ending:
Old 2012-03-27, 16:22   Link #139
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
To be honest I stopped seeing those deaths as disturbing right after the teacher suicide incident...
Yeah, that's the exact same death that made me realize that these deaths were probably going to be visually overdone and hard to take seriously.

Truth be told, Another was at least as much classic-style Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street Slasher/Horror fare as it was a true Mystery show. You see this by how often butcher knives were used when these mysterious contraptions named "guns" would have been much more effective and less painful (for suicide victims).

In fact, Jason or Freddy would have fit in better in Another than Sherlock Holmes or the character in haguruma's avatar.

My viewing Another that way going into its finale is probably why I liked it more than a fair number of other people did.

The finale certainly isn't without its weaknesses, but almost all the students collectively losing their marbles wasn't one of them, imo, with one exception. And that exception is Izumi. I was a bit disappointed that she didn't keep her wits about her. That being said, she had the best death scene by far, imo.

8/10 is what I give this episode, and that's probably what I'll give the anime overall as well.
Old 2012-03-27, 16:51   Link #140
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, that's the exact same death that made me realize that these deaths were probably going to be visually overdone and hard to take seriously.
Heck, the umbrella-spike-through-the-neck told me that. Gory visuals and dramatic effects for the sake of "unrated content" for the DVD/BD sales, natch.

Quote:
Truth be told, Another was at least as much classic-style Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street Slasher/Horror fare as it was a true Mystery show. You see this by how often butcher knives were used when these mysterious contraptions named "guns" would have been much more effective and less painful (for suicide victims).
Actually, Japanese gun control laws make it much more likely that "random people going nuts spontaneously" would not have access to firearms. A justified trope for the use of slasher weapons!

Quote:
My viewing Another that way going into its finale is probably why I liked it more than a fair number of other people did.

The finale certainly isn't without its weaknesses, but almost all the students collectively losing their marbles wasn't one of them, imo, with one exception. And that exception is Izumi. I was a bit disappointed that she didn't keep her wits about her. That being said, she had the best death scene by far, imo.
Well...I think it's a little more complicated than that. After all, when every episode after the first two features at least one overdone death scene, it's pretty clear that things are Not Going To End Well. To me, it's not the sudden orgy of violence, but that a good chunk of the sudden orgy of violence consisted of "environmental deaths." Now, those were effective early on in establishing the horror of the situation, where the calamity would come in out of the blue and pluck away another person or two for that month's death toll. Psycho granny, falling chandelier, pillar drop, dining room insta-bake backdraft explosion...these are the things that generate black-comedy laughs rather than suspense and terror. The kids going crazy was almost an inevitability when the tape became public, caused suspense and emotional tension about the violence ("But I like Character A! I don't want her to kill Character B! And I don't want her to get killed by Character B either!"), and played out some of the themes that had been being developed over the course of the series.

Or in other words, the final couple of episodes turned what had up until then been a suspenseful and atmospheric slasher-film story into an over-the-top bloodfest that drew laughter and eyes-crossed "Whafuck?" comments as often as it did scares and tension, and I think that's part of the reason why the final revelation of the Another's identity (combined with there not quite being enough scenes to establish Sakakibara's close relationship with her in earlier episodes) didn't have the emotional impact on virtually everyone who's commented here that it was supposed to.
Closed Thread