AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-14, 06:10   Link #61
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
So I just watched this and... wtf did I just watch?
Something glorious
Old 2012-04-14, 10:44   Link #62
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Something glorious
Yuppers.

I worry this will be overshadowed by the more accessible and brilliant Sakamichi, but I hope viewers give it a chance. For me it was every bit as great.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 12:19   Link #63
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Something glorious
Quite something, indeed !
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 13:39   Link #64
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be brutally honest Haru pissed the hell out of me...

Other than that it was pretty funny. Really loved the shit-faces Yuki would make. XD
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 15:38   Link #65
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

OK, here's my first effort at making sense of this after watching it for the second time.

I'm guessing that Haru and Yuki are somehow connected to the princess and the dragon at the opening of the show. Haru clearly recognizes Yuki, perhaps because of this mystical bond. Yuki's red hair suggests a connection to the dragon as does his experience of being submerged. Haru is, of course, an alien like the princess. Why she doesn't inhabit the body of a girl is left for future analysis (though see below).

It seems like Haru's squirt gun mystically transports its target. Every time someone is squirted there's a temporal disconnect between scenes. The first time Yuki comes to and discovers himself dancing alongside Haru. The next time, when he is squirted at the station, they suddenly find themselves at the fishing tackle store. When Natsuki is squirted, they next appear on the dock. By the way, that's some pretty expensive gear these boys are sporting given the price tags at that store.

It took me a bit of research to figure out where the Oba-san is working. The script on the English words was hard to read, but it turns out to be the Enoshima Samuel Cocking Garden, a small botanical garden named after an Englishman from the 19th century. It's not very apparent why she and Yuki move so often; maybe she's just a happy-go-lucky type that changes jobs and locations all the time?

Or maybe she's connected to the princess, and Haru really is an alien?

I really like the score for this show, particularly the music behind the fishing sequence at the dock.

For another fun look at fishing, I recommend the Specials from the Sky Girls series. They are parodies of the conflict scenes in the actual series where the enemies ("WORMs") are replaced by fish. The use of the epic-sounding background music from the series while Ichijou is fishing enhances the humor of these scenes.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-04-14 at 21:47.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:29   Link #66
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well its not to bad but why does the guy have a duck
Old 2012-04-14, 21:53   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Why does Haru carry a fish bowl on his head? Really I don't think there are rational answers to questions like these, at least based on what we know now.
Old 2012-04-14, 22:13   Link #68
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Why does Haru carry a fish bowl on his head?
What else is he supposed to carry his Onee-san in?
Old 2012-04-16, 01:49   Link #69
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i think we need a new genre, lets see, a bunch of cute boys doing cute things, but i don't know whats so cute about fishing, hmmmm......
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 06:11   Link #70
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It seems like Haru's squirt gun mystically transports its target. Every time someone is squirted there's a temporal disconnect between scenes.
I thought it was a mind control device, the character loses their consciousness (literally falling asleep) and while unconscious they end up doing something they wouldn't normally do at that time (dance, going fishing)
Old 2012-04-16, 08:34   Link #71
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I thought it was a mind control device, the character loses their consciousness (literally falling asleep) and while unconscious they end up doing something they wouldn't normally do at that time (dance, going fishing)
I agree. I think the water gun has some sort of hypnosis ability. Able to rob the person of his senses without disabling his physical abilities. (Because I doubt Haru dragged two unconscious boys bigger than himself to the fishing pier. )

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 09:10   Link #72
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That makes sense to me, too. I guess it's a good thing that Haru seems like such a happy-go-lucky character. Giving someone with dark motives that kind of power over others would be very dangerous.

Of course, we don't really know if Haru is benign or malign yet, though the guys with the turbans seem more menacing than he does. From past experience with Nakamura's works, though, he's certainly quite capable of, and seemingly interested in, portrayals of the darker side of life.
Old 2012-04-18, 15:17   Link #73
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... been a while before I have been online here, but this is one of the last Spring 2012 series I was planning to check out, so I thought I would say something at least, fully knowing I am extremely late to the party.

To be honest, the first ep of Tsuritama as a whole left me feeling somewhat ... well ... hmm ... with an unpleasantly disheveled feeling. It is kind of hard to describe, because I felt there were a lot of individual elements to the ep that were pretty good, but the mixture of them all somehow left an odd (in the negative sense of the word) feel in my mouth. (And btw I am with Haak - Haru grated on my nerves the entire ep.)

I have a feeling that some of the odd feeling could be due to it being a "first episode" and trying to do too many things at once to attract a wider audience, maybe? We'll see. I am definitely not giving up on the series, by any means! I feel that there are a lot of elements that could work very well in it ... if only the first ep did not remind me of a patisserie who had drunk too much coffee in the morning and frenetically tried to create something new only to come out with something weird.
Old 2012-04-18, 15:21   Link #74
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Admit it, Flower - you just wanted the four leads to be girls, didn't ya?
Old 2012-04-18, 15:28   Link #75
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Admit it, Flower - you just wanted the four leads to be girls, didn't ya?

Not at all!

I actually kinda liked the other three male leads (other than Haru). And btw Girls as leads is not always a guarantee with me ... atm Natsuiro Kiseki is an example of that. Hopefully that one will get better too....

IN all seriousness though - I have a feeling that the show will "calm down" a little, once the "espresso effect" wears off, I mean.
Old 2012-04-18, 15:35   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It helps me in sorting through the very busy nature of this show to envision it as a metaphor for adolescent male anxiety. And remember that Yuki is the MC, not Haru.

I thought this was every bit the equal of Apollon, in its way.
Old 2012-04-18, 15:38   Link #77
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It helps me in sorting through the very busy nature of this show to envision it as a metaphor for adolescent male anxiety. And remember that Yuki is the MC, not Haru.

I thought this was every bit the equal of Apollon, in its way.
Oh really? Equal to Sakamichi eh? Personal taste wise it'd be hard for me to agree with that atm....

Personally I enjoyed Sakamichi much more ... but hey, folks have different tastes and all.
Old 2012-04-18, 15:54   Link #78
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Sentai Licenses Tsuritama

That was quick and rather unexpected.
Old 2012-04-18, 17:05   Link #79
LKK

What does the word "tsuritama" mean?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 17:09   Link #80
FireChick

Well 'tsuri' means fishing, and 'tama' can translate to marble, soul, ball, or egg. The English title could be Fishing Soul (I like this one) or Fishing Egg.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing, friendship, noitamina