Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-06, 19:15   Link #221
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
King Kong was WAY too long. That was certainly two movie's worth; an action movie squeeze into an old school fable.

Watching this, I feel the film is in safe hands. Though I am amazed that in the end, two people including Jackson just finish the final cut of the film on an ordinary desktop in an ordinary room (that looks like it could fit into any normal household). Guess that's what happened with the digital age.
This is why LoTR movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SW pre's.

the whole studio are a bunch of nice people and the director isn't a huge ass.
Old 2012-12-07, 01:10   Link #222
Xagzan

So, anyone else enjoy Colbert's Hobbit week? I swear, I didn't anticipate just how big of a Tolkien fanatic that guy is. Even my 12 year old self feels inadequate now
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 18:23   Link #223
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
So, anyone else enjoy Colbert's Hobbit week? I swear, I didn't anticipate just how big of a Tolkien fanatic that guy is. Even my 12 year old self feels inadequate now
Hehe, I've watched it too and I originally thought he was exaggerating. After this week, I had to retract that though. The man knows his stuff. But funnily enough, I think it's hard to be an expert on everything Tolkien, so I still think I'd beat him in a Kin-Strife quizz.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 16:13   Link #224
willx
Nyaaan~~

So I'm definitely not getting an advance screening of "The Hobbit" anymore .. but a law firm has invited me to a screening on the Saturday morning after release. So maybe I'll go to that ..

Outlook remains uncertain
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 16:40   Link #225
kyp275
Meh

hmm....debating if i want to go for the midnight showing, or later when it's not as crowded (and no lines to wait in)
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 18:01   Link #226
sukidanica

Found this gem and picked it up the second I saw it.

I couldn't find any more ipad mini cases with the Hobbit on it besides that one
sukidanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 10:36   Link #227
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Oh kids.

Old 2012-12-11, 11:25   Link #228
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I don’t know guys, but I’m a bit worried about this movie. Many critics (if not most) said that the story in this 1st movie is stretched out to unbelievable level it messes up the pacing. There’s also complain about the VFX (which is A LOT in this, according to critics) being underwhelming and as detached from real environment as Star Wars prequels’ VFX. Now that one sounds bad to me. I mean, I don’t mind it in movie like Speed Racer since it was intended and fits the nature of the movie, but (assuming those critics are spot on) a TLOTR prequel with VFX as bad as SW prequel is really discouraging to me (even ignoring the whole “48 fps makes all look fake and cheap” issue). I might not want to spend my cash on the tickets and just see it when it hits BD or online. Still, I’ll be waiting for reviews from people here to get some more input before deciding .
Old 2012-12-11, 13:34   Link #229
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am going to make a comment that might sound like an insult, but no, I am being dead serious; if you are worried about the high frame rate making the movie look bad, you just have to wear a pair of eyeglasses with no prescription.

The extra layer of glass should degrade the video quality to your liking.

No, I am dead serious. There are 101 ways to make your film blurry. If you WANT blurry, you are free to give yourself a handicap. I don't know why you would want to, but that seems to be what you are after.
Old 2012-12-11, 13:52   Link #230
flying ^

word is that extra frame rates will only apply to 3D version.

3D to me is unwatchable with the 90+ yr old Hollywood standard 24p frame rate. 3D 48p frame rate is a necessity and imo should be The Standard.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 18:38   Link #231
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The soundtrack was released today, and through iTunes, I got myself an early Christmas gift The music is fantastic, to say the least, and I can't wait until release date! =^.^=
Old 2012-12-11, 19:51   Link #232
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Extra frame rate will only apply to the 3D version. If you don't want to worry about the VFX, then don't see it in 3D.

Myself, however, plan on giving my eyes some eye-candy.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 20:00   Link #233
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll probably see it both ways, just to compare the tech. However, in the US - it can be a challenge to find a theater that has set the projectors up correctly (hint: requires trained staff who might want more salary).
Old 2012-12-11, 22:01   Link #234
Blaat

Just came back from the midnight showing Imax 3D and the projector gave out 2/3 into the film, they couldn't fix it so I have not finished the movie. -_-
Old 2012-12-11, 23:21   Link #235
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I don’t know guys, but I’m a bit worried about this movie. Many critics (if not most) said that the story in this 1st movie is stretched out to unbelievable level it messes up the pacing. There’s also complain about the VFX (which is A LOT in this, according to critics) being underwhelming and as detached from real environment as Star Wars prequels’ VFX. Now that one sounds bad to me. I mean, I don’t mind it in movie like Speed Racer since it was intended and fits the nature of the movie, but (assuming those critics are spot on) a TLOTR prequel with VFX as bad as SW prequel is really discouraging to me (even ignoring the whole “48 fps makes all look fake and cheap” issue). I might not want to spend my cash on the tickets and just see it when it hits BD or online. Still, I’ll be waiting for reviews from people here to get some more input before deciding .
The length stretching being a problem is not something that surprises me, and if its that noticeable they should have kept it at 2 movies, stupid greedy studios. /sigh. Maybe they have enough to make 3 movies, but they should have started from scratch like that and not changed halfway through. Although in retrospect, the first Hobbit movie will be the same as the Fellowship, it kinda went nowhere, and I know I heard quite a few people go "that it?" when I saw it.

Oh well, won't stop me going to see it, but bugger 3d, stupid gimmick that it is.

Only thing I've had a quibble with is Bombur (I think) in some of the shots, I cant decide if he looks like an oiled up fat man or plastic. Probably depends on the lighting.
Old 2012-12-12, 00:18   Link #236
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am going to make a comment that might sound like an insult, but no, I am being dead serious; if you are worried about the high frame rate making the movie look bad, you just have to wear a pair of eyeglasses with no prescription.

The extra layer of glass should degrade the video quality to your liking.

No, I am dead serious. There are 101 ways to make your film blurry. If you WANT blurry, you are free to give yourself a handicap. I don't know why you would want to, but that seems to be what you are after.
Dude, did you not read my post? I did add this, right?:
Quote:
(even ignoring the whole “48 fps makes all look fake and cheap” issue).
If that's not clear enough, let me rephrase it:
"I don't have a problem with the 48 fps."

You clearly misinterpret my whole post by addressing something I don't have a problem with. My point was: even without 48 fps 3D, many critics said that the VFX isn't impressive coz it doesn't blend well with the real environment/characters.
Old 2012-12-15, 10:46   Link #237
james0246

What a horrendously bloated and overwrought film. Ridiculously padded and hideously paced (at times), Unexpected Journey is like the car ride on a bad family vacation - endless, boring, with a few decent sights but ultimately you are filled with nothing but loathing at the end. What a disappointing film and a very inauspicious start to a new trilogy (hopefully, Jackson will edit out all the useless dwarf crap, and really all the unneeded non-Hobbit crap, and just give us one more film that actually ends the story instead of two more ludicrous entries more padded than an insane asylum). 60/100.

edit: a brief caveat, I came to The Hobbit mostly for the 9-minute Star Trek segment...which was very good .

Last edited by james0246; 2012-12-15 at 11:17.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 10:59   Link #238
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ah, nice input James-san. I was waiting for comments from those who have watched the movie to help me decide. I guess your post has strengthen my fear that this movie’s pacing (and padding?) is all over the place. Btw, how about the visuals?
Old 2012-12-15, 11:16   Link #239
james0246

Quote:
Ah, nice input James-san. I was waiting for comments from those who have watched the movie to help me decide. I guess your post has strengthen my fear that this movie’s pacing (and padding?) is all over the place. Btw, how about the visuals?
I did like the visuals. The 48fps wasn't bad (after the first few minutes), in fact I could see this being a standard for action films (once they iron out the tech a little more). In fact, some of the earlier scenes was like watching a live performance, and the later action scenes, while a little chaotic, were still quite beautiful. The 3D was pretty flawless (I saw the film in IMAX HFR 3D), though it wasn't as fully immersive as I would have liked.

Overall, strictly from a technical side, the film is fairly good (it represents the majority of my grade). If the story wasn't so problematic this could have been a damn fun film and a great start to a new segment of the franchise.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-12-15 at 12:58.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 11:38   Link #240
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The Rotten Tomato seem to suggest that Professional Critics don't like it, but that the general public think it is fine.

This suggests that when it come time for me to watch this film, that I should turn off the analysis.

Tags
movie