AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-10, 17:49   Link #21
IPv6
blastos.com

that's on my rental queue right now ... at 138 spot.

I can get about 24 dvds in a month if I rush watching everything or maybe 32 if I really really push it ... i will get it in about 2 months lol.
IPv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 17:26   Link #22
forwhomthebelltolls

why to watch the movie

If you don't watch The End of Evangelion, you'll be missing out. For me the movie was the best part of the series. First off, I never watched the entire series, I picked random episodes and just watched most of the series. It never made sense. But the characters were often very compelling.

The movie makes no sense if you haven't seen part of the series, but it combines the best video and audio parts. Music lovers will appreciate it just for the soundtrack, but the whole thing is pretty artistic. I could do without the long psychological interludes, too, but there are some really great scenes.
forwhomthebelltolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 17:48   Link #23
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwhomthebelltolls
If you don't watch The End of Evangelion, you'll be missing out. For me the movie was the best part of the series. First off, I never watched the entire series, I picked random episodes and just watched most of the series. It never made sense. But the characters were often very compelling.

The movie makes no sense if you haven't seen part of the series, but it combines the best video and audio parts. Music lovers will appreciate it just for the soundtrack, but the whole thing is pretty artistic. I could do without the long psychological interludes, too, but there are some really great scenes.
If you didn't watch the series, how is the movie the best part? Did you really expect "random episodes" to add up to a story? Or are you just flipping through waiting for the next battle scene?

The "compelling characters" you speak of go through major changes during the course of the series. The "psychological interludes" you disdain are the scenes in which these changes are taking place. These changes ARE the story, but you missed out.

The series is also self-contained - not everyone likes the ending but the series does end with episode 26. The movies used to be shown with a recap feature (Death & Rebirth) because they are not self-contained.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 22:25   Link #24
Gundam Master

Send a message via AIM to Gundam Master
Which episode was it that EVA 01 went into Beserk Mode for the second time?
That was one of those eps you can't miss IMO
Gundam Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 01:21   Link #25
Advent<VII>
Child

Send a message via AIM to Advent<VII> Send a message via MSN to Advent<VII>
Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Im watching the series for the first time.

First Question: How many episodes are there in the series, as in like TV series or whatever, before the movies. 28?

Second question: What order do you watch the movies in? Does it go "End Of evangelion" first and then "death and re-birth"? or wha? is there also another movie to the series?

Kinda confused because me and a friend are watching them and we both done know....
Advent<VII> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 01:30   Link #26
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Wrong place to post, but I'll be nice:

I do not know how it is released in your country, but the DVD-Box that I own (http://www.evangelion.co.jp/) is in the following order:

Disc 1: Ep. 1-4
Disc 2: Ep. 5-8
Disc 3: Ep. 9-12
Disc 4: Ep. 13-16
Disc 5: Ep. 17-20
Disc 6: Ep. 21 (TV version), 21' (VHS/LD version), 22 (TV version), 22' (VHS/LD version)
Disc 7: Ep. 23 (TV version), 23' (VHS/LD version), 24 (TV version), 24' (VHS/LD version)
Disc 8: Ep. 25 and Ep. 26
Disc 9: EVANGELION: DEATH(TRUE)^2
Disc 10: THE END OF EVANGELION
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 01:57   Link #27
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Wrong place to post, but I'll be nice:

I do not know how it is released in your country, but the DVD-Box that I own (http://www.evangelion.co.jp/) is in the following order:

Disc 1: Ep. 1-4
Disc 2: Ep. 5-8
Disc 3: Ep. 9-12
Disc 4: Ep. 13-16
Disc 5: Ep. 17-20
Disc 6: Ep. 21 (TV version), 21' (VHS/LD version), 22 (TV version), 22' (VHS/LD version)
Disc 7: Ep. 23 (TV version), 23' (VHS/LD version), 24 (TV version), 24' (VHS/LD version)
Disc 8: Ep. 25 and Ep. 26
Disc 9: EVANGELION: DEATH(TRUE)^2
Disc 10: THE END OF EVANGELION
eva directors cut 24-26
eva directors cut 21-23

rEkKaShInObI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 03:10   Link #28
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

And if you want to get them on DVD, I suggest waiting until the end of July, when
a vastly improved "real" remastered version (way better video and 5.1 sound) will
be released under the name "Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum".
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 12:06   Link #29
TronDD
Team the box!

The series is 26 episodes. End of Evangelion sort of replaces episodes 25 and 26. They do not come after those episodes in the story's timeline but watch them after you see the series.

Death and Rebirth I never saw because everyone says it's just a recap of the series.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 12:21   Link #30
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
The series is 26 episodes. End of Evangelion sort of replaces episodes 25 and 26. They do not come after those episodes in the story's timeline but watch them after you see the series.

Death and Rebirth I never saw because everyone says it's just a recap of the series.
The first half of Death&Rebirth is a recap, which technically is the Rebirth portion.

Death is the first half of End of Evangelion or episode 25, Death. When End of Evangelion came out, the first half of it recieved about 3 minutes additional footage and was renamed Death(true²).
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 16:15   Link #31
7thMethuselah

yes you can just skip death and rebirht since there is nothing in there which isn't in other episodes. Order to watch EVA
1-24

original ending : 25 - 26
alternative ending : end of evangelion

these two can be seen in any sequence, I suggest picking the original ending first it'll mess you up
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 21:40   Link #32
Technovia_EX
o[-_-]o

Watch it the way it was meant to be. 1-26, then EOE. R/D is optional, IMO. Don't replace EOE with 25/26, because it's an alternative ending....
Technovia_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:04   Link #33
Advent<VII>
Child

Send a message via AIM to Advent<VII> Send a message via MSN to Advent<VII>
Man, this is the 2nd time I posted in the wrong place. Im really sorry for that everyone. I guess I really just need to get used to these forums first.

But thanks for your help, that really cleared up everything.

So......I guess I shall watch the rest of Evo. im on episode 21. Late!
Advent<VII> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 18:11   Link #34
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
Neon genesis evangelion questions?! *May contain spoliers*

Ok i just finished watching neon genesis evangelion, and well the ending left me too confused.
Do i need to watch the 2 movies to better understand this anime?

If i need to watch the 2 movies to answer my following questions then please tell me, ok here goes:

1)What were the last couple of episodes about? What was the purpose of those interview type episodes?
2) Why were all those people Shinji knew congratulating him at the end?
3)What will the 2 movies shed any light (if any) on how the series ended?

Any help would be much appreciated! THANKS!

p.s. I really liked the first 3/4 of episodes but when it started getting confusing it just kinda spoiled it for me, and the ending just left me unsatisfied

Last edited by elniro; 2004-12-21 at 18:25.
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 19:31   Link #35
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

1 Its the instrumentality project. All the souls have come together and he's making a decision based of individuality or conformity.
2. He finally made a fucking decision for once in his life
3. Nothing
IntrepidAKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 20:51   Link #36
TronDD
Team the box!

The way I see it, the series ending was inside Shinji and it concluded the story about his personal issues. End of Evangelion (which you should watch) shows you the ending that happens outside, around Shinji. I doesn't clear anything up, but it gives another perspective with more confusion. Enjoy.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 21:17   Link #37
Ebichuman
Ebichu Transform!

Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-21, 22:47   Link #38
Thelastguardian

You know...the true reason of why the end of Eva TV is confusing...is because they ran out of money (budget) at the last few shows Thats why they cut and paste and what have you not to finish this show.
Old 2004-12-22, 06:23   Link #39
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
awww that sucks, they should have waited for more money then released a better ending
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 08:41   Link #40
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I personally thought much of "End of Evangelion" was Anno's way of giving the finger to all the fans who criticised episodes 25 & 26.

I intepreted the movie ending as Shinji choosing to accept life as it is (warts and all) and thus he rejected Third Impact. Since the whole decision was up to him, the giant Rei shattered and everything spewed out. For some obscure reason, he didn't drag the rest of humanity back with him except for Asuka (is it really her? Hmmm) and thus they all stayed as LCL fluid.

He could have created a false world but that would only be for himself (as I understood it). Everyone else would have their own little worlds and there would be utterly no interaction between real people. More people would return from the pool of LCL if they simply rejected the false little perfect worlds that Instrumentality would give them.

As for Asuka... well, I always thought that was a Asuka/Rei hybrid thingy...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote