AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 7 10.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 26.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 14.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 14.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 6.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-28, 20:02   Link #61
broken270
Defying gravity

While I did get a sense of a "filler" vibe from this episode, I wonder if one can treat the first episode of each arc, this case being "Little Birds can Remember," as a preface for what may come as the arc progresses. Or, I am probably over-thinking this?
Old 2012-05-29, 02:53   Link #62
Gohan78
Awakened One

Well, after the brilliant conclusion to the first arc, this episode was a big disappointment for me.
The mistery was even duller than the first episode's and sometimes Eru can be really annoying.
The saving grace of this show, as usual, are the visuals. Really liked Angel Chitanda and the mini-Chitandas swarming Houtaro. I also like the creativeness of KyoAni in depicting the clues, in this case using crash-test dummies.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2012-05-29, 03:54   Link #63
Qilin
Romanticist

For anyone who was drawn to the show's previous mystery arc, this episode would surely be a huge disappointment.

After all, this is probably one of the pointless mysteries we've had yet. Most would just attribute the "mystery" to forgetfulness and move on with their lives, but they had to attach an elaborate explanation for something so trivial.

On the other hand, I'd also say the mystery wasn't the episode's real focus. In fact, the episode focused more on the show's slice-of-life elements by emphasizing character interaction, which is fine. I think it's good to have a few breather episodes every once in a while with the characters just talking to each other, so we can get a better feel of their personalities. For instance, it was nice to witness different sides to Houtarou and Eru in this episode.

And finally, Eru's persistent invasion of Houtaou's personal space never ceases to be entertaining (ki ni narimasu ).
Old 2012-05-29, 06:46   Link #64
Jarmel

Welp that was another waste.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:08   Link #65
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I found this episode very impressive. It had such a tiny, insignificant and dull mystery, but still managed to be watchable and interesting based on other factors. This series is really good at providing a feeling of atmosphere and making the characters have depth.

Chitanda's "I'm curious!" is getting really annoying now. But, judging by the little scary Chitandas that were crawling over Houtarou, he knows it too.

I loved the bit where Chitanda said she didn't like to waste energy getting angry and Houtarou thought for a moment that he'd met his soulmate.
Old 2012-05-29, 09:11   Link #66
Utsuro no Hako

Was this episode supposed to be self-parody?

Chitanda: I never get mad!

Oreki: Weren't you mad, like, two hours ago when you were yelling in class?

Chitanda: That's right, Oreki-san! I wanted to ask you about that -- why was I mad?

Oreki: How the hell should I know?

Chitanda: But I'm curious! Tell me why I was mad.

Oreki: Maybe you should consult your doctor about these memory problems.

Heaven forbid they ever get romantic. "Oreki-san, last night when I went home after kissing you, I found there was something wrong with my panties! Even though I never went near water, they were damp! I'm curious, Oreki-san, what could've caused it?"
Old 2012-05-29, 09:28   Link #67
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post

Chitanda: That's right, Oreki-san! I wanted to ask you about that -- why was I mad?

Heaven forbid they ever get romantic. "Oreki-san, last night when I went home after kissing you, I found there was something wrong with my panties! Even though I never went near water, they were damp! I'm curious, Oreki-san, what could've caused it?"
You win the internet for that bit of comedy gold. Well done!

But I'm pretty sure the writer of this realizes that Chitanda isn't quite normal, lol.
Old 2012-05-29, 13:32   Link #68
alarmadadna hadi

The first episode half had me chuckling all the way, it was entertaining to learn these little tidbits about the characters, and I actually wish if Eru followed the "Let's make satoshi angry" line of thought, I wonder what that would be like?

But yeah, that type of subtle humor is my cup of chai, and the progression of their conversation felt so natural without being bogged down by forced witty-ness.
Old 2012-05-29, 14:25   Link #69
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

I was actually hoping Houtarou would resist further and see how salacious Eru can get on the table.

Cheers.
Old 2012-05-29, 18:06   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I was actually hoping Houtarou would resist further and see how salacious Eru can get on the table.

Cheers.
Maybe next time if we're lucky .
Old 2012-05-29, 18:10   Link #71
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'd draw out the situation just so she'd keep staring at me with those amethyst eyes.
Old 2012-05-29, 19:10   Link #72
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just rewatched the episode for the second (i.e., third) time. Gets even more enjoyable, for me. The delicacy of everything is outstanding.

And I don't know about anyone else, but if I were jotting it down in a hurry, I could easily write my small "a" and "d" so that I couldn't quite tell the difference when I came back to look at them. And I'm a native English speaker with a fair amount of education. Just not much manual dexterity, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-05-29, 20:33   Link #73
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And I don't know about anyone else, but if I were jotting it down in a hurry, I could easily write my small "a" and "d" so that I couldn't quite tell the difference when I came back to look at them. And I'm a native English speaker with a fair amount of education. Just not much manual dexterity, lol.
In any other circumstance you'd be entirely correct. However, think of how every single Japanese school categorized their room numbers: 1-A, 2-C, 3-B, etc.

They don't write it like 1-a, 2-c, 3-b, and it was shown in Chitanda's explanation as well. A teacher especially should be privy, nay, ATTACHED to this standard.

Don't get me wrong though, I could really care less if it's 100% accurate or not. It was still a fun mystery and there's nothing to nitpick about the episode itself.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:26   Link #74
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:

Now now, I doubt that mere kissing would be enough to get a girl wet unless if there were some heavy petting along to go with it. But I do get your point
Old 2012-05-30, 06:29   Link #75
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

This episode was boring. The teacher & the maths was meh.
Well , there was a little development for Chitanda & Houtarou but that's it.

Next , fanservice?

Quote:

Thanks for the good laugh
Old 2012-05-30, 12:35   Link #76
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
In any other circumstance you'd be entirely correct. However, think of how every single Japanese school categorized their room numbers: 1-A, 2-C, 3-B, etc.

They don't write it like 1-a, 2-c, 3-b, and it was shown in Chitanda's explanation as well. A teacher especially should be privy, nay, ATTACHED to this standard.

Don't get me wrong though, I could really care less if it's 100% accurate or not. It was still a fun mystery and there's nothing to nitpick about the episode itself.
It was explicitly stated in the episode that he wrote the letters in lowercase because he was a Math teacher, and variables are commonly written in lowercase. One gets accustomed to it after decades of doing it.

And Eru didn't ask "why was I mad?" in the literal sense of the word. Don't take everything at face value, especially if you don't really know the connotations of it in the original language (I don't know them either, just throwing that out). What she was curious about was more along the lines of "why would I get mad over such a tiny slip?" She didn't get her feelings, a thing I'd say happens very frequently to any human being.

And one last thing. People still think this show is about the "mysteries"? It's obviously an almost pure slice of life with Iyashikei elements, the riddles are just a secondary device for easier characterization and to give direction to the episodes. Instead of "the soothing adventures of the Classics Club" you get "the soothing mystery-solving Classics Club", but the overall feeling and purpose of the show would be the same in both cases.
Old 2012-05-30, 13:52   Link #77
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post

And one last thing. People still think this show is about the "mysteries"?
Why shouldn't people think that?

1) There's been at least one mystery comprehensively explored in each and every episode so far. This would be akin to K-On having at least one insert song per episode... So at the very least, Hyouka takes its mysteries more seriously than K-On took its music.

2) The mystery surrounding Chitanda's Uncle was actually very good, on its own merits. It was a very good mystery that was spread out over a few episodes. It contributed greatly to the quality of Episodes 4 and 5.

Now, if a show bills itself as a Mystery show, has mysteries in every episode, has an actually good multi-episode mystery for 3 of its first 5 episodes, then I think viewers have a right to take it as a Mystery show and to expect more mysteries (hopefully good ones).
Old 2012-05-30, 15:07   Link #78
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
It was explicitly stated in the episode that he wrote the letters in lowercase because he was a Math teacher, and variables are commonly written in lowercase. One gets accustomed to it after decades of doing it.
Math teacher or not, I'm questioning the action itself. Think of it this way: I am a Science teacher and must teach from a Chemistry textbook written in proper English. When describing chemicals in an everyday sentence, do you say "these bananas contain K" because you're a Science teacher? No, you say "these bananas contain potassium".

Same idea here. Even if you're a math teacher, Japanese schools use capital letters for categorizing their rooms, and a teacher (who goes through AT LEAST 2 years of rigorous study of this setting) would undoubtedly have the basic skills needed to separate his variables from his notes. I take it most of us here aren't certified teachers, and we can all do this.

But y'know, once again I'm not letting this get to me as the episode was nice. It's just something that I did find odd. I even consulted my Japanese teacher about it, and she said there's no way a teacher would make a mistake like that. Maybe it was intentional portrayed this way to show how easily the teacher could fly off the handle?

Quote:
And one last thing. People still think this show is about the "mysteries"? It's obviously an almost pure slice of life with Iyashikei elements, the riddles are just a secondary device for easier characterization and to give direction to the episodes. Instead of "the soothing adventures of the Classics Club" you get "the soothing mystery-solving Classics Club", but the overall feeling and purpose of the show would be the same in both cases.
I definitely see what you're saying, but there's plenty of reason for people to think that. It's the main drawing point aside from Chitanda's eyes and overall stunning visuals. It's been advertised to death as a "mystery" series. It's centered around a group that seems to nothing more than gather and try solving mysteries. Even when they're out of school in casual wear, they're sitting in Chitanda's ridiculously large settlement and solving a mystery.

Your point does make good sense though. On the whole, it kind of feels like a less over-the-top Haruhi setting at times, and that certainly wasn't sold as a "mystery" series. So in the case of characterization and everything else that happens outside of the mystery solving (which honestly does take up over half of each episode), I can see how it can be classified differently.
Old 2012-05-30, 19:35   Link #79
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
But y'know, once again I'm not letting this get to me as the episode was nice. It's just something that I did find odd. I even consulted my Japanese teacher about it, and she said there's no way a teacher would make a mistake like that. Maybe it was intentional portrayed this way to show how easily the teacher could fly off the handle?
As said above, the solution might not be the correct one, but one that Houtaro think can satisfy Eru the most.
Old 2012-05-30, 20:01   Link #80
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I disagree completely with the idea that it would be so highly unlikely that the teacher would make such a mistake. Teachers are human beings. They can forget whom they have taught things to, and they can write sloppily, especially when they are writing a foreign language.

And for a math teacher to use the small letters he is more used to in this informal situation is perfectly reasonable. If he were writing it for others to see, he might be more careful to use capital letters and write them more clearly.

But it is also quite true that this doesn't have to be true, just reasonable enough for Eru to accept it, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Closed Thread