AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-18, 22:29   Link #1
JShaggy
I like CRABS!!

Send a message via AIM to JShaggy Send a message via Yahoo to JShaggy
Solty Rei, anime from GONZO

Since the old thread got erased, we'll start again with a new one.

We're up to episode 11 right now, and here's what I can say about this episode.

Spoiler for episode 11:

JShaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 22:54   Link #2
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

JShaggy you beated me on reopening this thread and giving the summary for this week's episode.

In effect, this episode dealt about a madman that specializes in sophisticated bombs.
Spoiler:

One thing that you forgot to mention in your summary was....
Spoiler:

With that revelation it starts to build up questions upon the audience about Rose.

Now this episode is what the previous ones should had been. Lots of action, plot, and twists coming.

And it quite reminded me of both movies "Die Hard: With a Vengeance" and the first "Speed".
Because both play the theme of a madman that terrorizes the city with bombs.

By the way, the madman is voiced none other than by Houchu Otsuka. Best remembered by voicing Jiraiya in Naruto or better yet, he voiced the psychotic Gates from Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 05:17   Link #3
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
too bad the show got licensed... how am I suppose to watch it now ><

Quote:

By the way, the madman is voiced none other than by Houchu Otsuka. Best remembered by voicing Jiraiya in Naruto or better yet, he voiced the psychotic Gates from Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid.

hmm.. this is even better.. i miss that Gates

gotta wait for the DVD.. this sux
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 08:53   Link #4
DEvok

Solty Rei, anime from GONZO

is Soltey rei been licensed?
DEvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 09:01   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEvok
is Soltey rei been licensed?
I don't know about Soltey rei, but Solty Rei is
(hints, Series Discussion Index and How Many Episodes: Answered here!)

Recovered cache of original lost thread
Quote:
2005-10-06, 22:58
Guido

I've realized this show has already premiered in Japan.

I want to know from those who have seen the first episode what are your thoughts and impressions about the content & quality of this anime?

Is it worth viewing interest and attention?

The official website possesses some nice stuff.
http://www.solty.net/

Would be able to pull through a perfectly designed, story?

or like recent previous Gonzo releases, would it fall flat upon viewer's expectations?
---
2005-10-06, 23:10
Fighter Volk

It all comes down to story, methinks. Gonzo series tend to be really stylish, with amazing animation and a very interesting premise, and usually interesting characters, but whether Solty Rei will have a good story or not will be the determining factor of whether Solty becomes another Bakuten, or another Kiddy Grade.

And indeed, I too would love to hear some opinions from the raw-watching club. Was the first episode any good?
---
2005-10-07, 18:24
Freakman

The setting isn't that original, and most characters give deja vu (between the hard boiled and cynic bounty hunter, the female living weapon and others), but the first episode was definitely watchable.
Despite not being too original, it's at least more coherent than Cluster Fuck... erm Cluster Edge. And it does have some potential.
Also the main character is voiced by Gankutsuou, who definitely rocks :3
---
2005-10-07, 20:37
Fighter Volk

Originally Posted by Freakman
Also the main character is voiced by Gankutsuou, who definitely rocks :3

Haha! That's great! I can't wait to hear him. I love Gankutsuou's VA

Good to hear that you got a mostly positive vibe from the first episode.
---
2005-10-08, 00:40
Catgirls

Hmmm...well, despite some GONZO/anime stereotypes (...that bummed out middle aged loner with nothing to live for…banality…a bit maybe), I fully enjoyed the first episode. Somewhat derivative, yet a cross between their work on Speed Grapher and a dash of...something else (not Eva)...I think this is a series that I'll enjoy as a guilty pleasure (ie., Stephen King and not Leo Tolstoy).

The low voiced, iconoclastic Jose Wales (I think the Japanese must love Clint Eastwood) guy that doesn't even believe in his own beliefs and the machine girl of pleasure that pulled her dress right out of a garbage can, is right up my nihilist alley.

Episode 1: Two Thumbs
---
2005-10-08, 04:10
Kaoru Chujo

I agree with everyone else who's reported on the raw: lots of echoes of other things, some cliches, and yet highly watchable. I enjoyed it, as I do Speed Grapher. The characters definitely have some possibilities. We'll see how the story shapes up.
---
2005-10-08, 13:22
soraryu

This anime looks promising. A mysterious green haired girl with super-human abilities (doesn't look like she's a cyborg), a bounty hunter that cannot get over his grief, an ominous aorura web in the sky makes for an interesting anime (if they do it right).

The use of CGs seems to blend in pretty good. The world of Solty Rei is intrigueing. I'll continue to watch this anime.
---
2005-10-08, 13:52
chison

http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=56765744zd.jpg
super-woman...i love this type of female chara~~lol
---
2005-10-08, 20:21
Fighter Volk

Originally Posted by chison
super-woman...i love this type of female chara~~lol

Very nice-looking screenshots! I love the character designs, especially the main male character and the green-haired girl (Solty, I assume).
---
2005-10-09, 07:56
dreamless

the first episode reminds me of Kiddy Grade + Bakuten + Speed Grapher... looks somewhat mediocre...
---
2005-10-12, 16:53
ForeverGoNe

Alot of promising titles for the fall line-up, this being one of them definitely. Why hasn't this thread been moved to fansubs yet? I thought shinsen was picking this one up.
---
2005-10-12, 17:22
Nyu

Ehh, I think the characters look pretty cool, but the animation really is'nt my style, not to mention im not the biggest fan of anime that take place in large cities, or perhaps im assuming things from the city like background? I prefer small rural atmospheres .
---
2005-10-13, 14:20
cyberbeing

I saw the premiere live streamed from japan over peercast last week.
Just finished watching episode 2 live over peercast.

Its not just this anime. I saw the Blood+ permiere, and watch the new Speed Grapher episodes, and some other stuff that the guy does.

You have to have a fast connection to sync well to the other people in japan as it is a p2p streaming program.
---
2005-10-14, 18:24
Sonhex

I agree with Dreamless that at first glance this show seems a tad mediocre. The Blade Runner and Leon influences are pretty obvious. Unfortunately the second episode doesn't inspire confidence, which is disappointing.

However, something about Solty Rei intrigues me, I think it's the potential of the relationship between Roy and Solty. I'll keep watching just in case Gonzo delivers on this aspect. And the animation is pretty solid, if a little dull.

But the green Henry Moore sculpture on Solty's head may well be a new low for anime hair :P
---
2005-10-14, 22:35
Fighter Volk

Originally Posted by Sonhex
I agree with Dreamless that at first glance this show seems a tad mediocre. The Blade Runner and Leon influences are pretty obvious. Unfortunately the second episode doesn't inspire confidence, which is disappointing.

Ah, that's not good... but hey, Kiddy Grade didn't get going for a while, right? Then again, Bakuten started out slow and, uh... never got going.

We'll see. I'll definitely give it a few episodes, though (once it's fansubbed, of course).
---
2005-10-15, 06:22
dreamless

yup the setting is somewhat reminiscent of Blade Runner/Bubblegum Crisis, personally I actually find the second episode very enjoyable, but that's mainly because of more screen time for Karsha. Have to say Karsha-chan is simply soooooo cute She has fantastic voice acting too, I demand more Karsha-chan
---
2005-10-20, 18:46
Kouryuu9

Personally, I like Solty Rei a lot. Why hasn't anyone tried to pick it up yet?

Art is done by Range Murata, Music Toshiyuki Omori, and the Director was in charge of Vandred and Kaleido Star.
---
2005-10-21, 17:39
Fighter Volk

Originally Posted by Kouryuu9
Personally, I like Solty Rei a lot. Why hasn't anyone tried to pick it up yet?

Art is done by Range Murata, Music Toshiyuki Omori, and the Director was in charge of Vandred and Kaleido Star.

I'm waiting for a fansub, too... kinda sucks that everyone is subbing Black Cat but no one is subbing Solty :-/ I mean, Black Cat is good, too, but right now four different groups have released their versions of it and a fifth announced that it, too, plans to do so. But Solty has no on! Nooo oneee~

Oh well.

Oh, and yeah! 1000th post XD XD XD
---
2005-10-21, 19:04
Catgirls

Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
I'm waiting for a fansub, too... kinda sucks that everyone is subbing Black Cat but no one is subbing Solty :-/

I'd like to see Solty Rei subbed as well. Maybe a group like shinsen-subs would consider picking it up. They seem to like/enjoy Gonzo shows. I'm watching the show RAW and for some odd reason, I'm able to understand the basic plot and what-not. Obviously, I'm missing the more salient spoken parts (I know maybe 3 Japanese words) and a huge script chage right now would probably throw me.

A couple of the character designs remind me of Gad Guard.
---
2005-10-21, 21:46
ZODDGUTS

Well I'm interested in this series mostly due to Kenichi Sonoda who made Gunsmith Cats and has done the character designs for anime like Bubble Gum, Otaku no Video and Gall Force though he is only doing the conceptual design for this series.

Hope this series this fansub soon.

Last edited by xris; 2005-12-26 at 09:14.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 09:07   Link #6
DEvok

coz i cant find it in the anime list anymore :/
DEvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 09:16   Link #7
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEvok
coz i cant find it in the anime list anymore :/
Then don't you understand what it means when we conisder it licensed? If not, then please read our Forum Rules and the Licensed Anime page.

And we do list it as licensed in the Licensed Database, but under the name of Origin

Last edited by xris; 2005-12-26 at 10:24.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 16:56   Link #8
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

lol I was wondering what happened to this, then I went to the database and hit S-Z section and didn't see it so I was a little confused, but when I did an actual search of the database, sure enough, there it was.

Oh well, this is a cute series, I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD
deathsvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 21:33   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsvengeance
lol I was wondering what happened to this, then I went to the database and hit S-Z section and didn't see it so I was a little confused, but when I did an actual search of the database, sure enough, there it was.

Oh well, this is a cute series, I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD
Yeah, it is rather confusing when they change a name completely for its R1 release.

I really wish I was going to a convention this month so that I could ask the Funimation rep there, "Is it now your policy to announce your new licenses with Cease & Desist letters? Why don't you think we deserve to hear it from you directly, at conventions?"

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 16:34   Link #10
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

lol that's a good question, I'd love to hear them try to answer it. I don't like Funimation anyway
deathsvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 16:40   Link #11
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Yeah, it is rather confusing when they change a name completely for its R1 release.

I really wish I was going to a convention this month so that I could ask the Funimation rep there, "Is it now your policy to announce your new licenses with Cease & Desist letters? Why don't you think we deserve to hear it from you directly, at conventions?"

I don't think the FUNimation reps would be able to withstand the legendary sarcasm and bluntness of the famed animesuki mod NoSanninWa.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 18:16   Link #12
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor
I don't think the FUNimation reps would be able to withstand the legendary sarcasm and bluntness of the famed animesuki mod NoSanninWa.
So, is anyone going to a convention soon to ask this question? By the time I go to Otakon in August it just won't be topical anymore.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 19:27   Link #13
nubby

eps 12 hasnt come out yet and its been a while. what's going on?
nubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 19:58   Link #14
JShaggy
I like CRABS!!

Send a message via AIM to JShaggy Send a message via Yahoo to JShaggy
UPDATED 01/13/06:

Episode 12 has finally aired. I'll spare the long summary, but I will point out two major spoilers in this episode.
Spoiler for Episode 12 (MAJOR SPOILER):
Adding on to what Guido said earlier:
Spoiler for Episode 12 (not so major):
That's about as much as I get out of this episode.

Last edited by JShaggy; 2006-01-26 at 00:00. Reason: Made a minor goof on one of the spoilers.
JShaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 02:04   Link #15
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This is confirmed true to what JShaggy had previously posted, as I witnessed it myself.

I speculated my suspicions about Roze since the tenth episode when taught Solty that humming song.

Spoiler:

Roy's unexpected reunion serves to close this arc, and Solty Rei is moving towards the second arc which likely will answer all questions fans had formulated about Solty's origins.
Spoiler:

Well, I expect the next arc will display everything about who is Solty for real.
Old 2006-01-19, 03:11   Link #16
BloodRavyne

is episode 13 the last episode? because in the ending credits for next episode they said something about coming to an end.
BloodRavyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 18:11   Link #17
KoroshiyaX
X

Ep 13.....

Spoiler:
KoroshiyaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 00:00   Link #18
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoroshiyaX
Ep 13.....

Spoiler:
On this.

Spoiler:

The more I watch this show the more the Die Hard series comes to mind
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 01:00   Link #19
KoroshiyaX
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
On this.

Spoiler:

The more I watch this show the more the Die Hard series comes to mind
True, but then again, next ep title is something along the line of "Darkness covering our heart... Farewell...", when spoken by Solty.
KoroshiyaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 02:41   Link #20
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

And at last the story goes steady.

Theories that I previously posted were swayed away regarding Solty.

Spoiler:

I don't much appreciate the last minute twists the script writers have been throwing at.
Spoiler:

Anyways, I applaud the solid direction that the thirteenth episode took off and hope some hints point about RUC true intentions and Solty's real identity.

For anyone interested about the song played:
"Return to Love" by Janice Winston.