AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-02-19, 07:04   Link #141
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Shouldn't the child be Gonzo and not GDH, actually?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 07:14   Link #142
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Shouldn't the child be Gonzo and not GDH, actually?
Well technically, yes, but in a way the anime part gave birth to its own parent when they tried expanding their output.

Basically history is:

Gonzo is formed (from a bunch of ex-gainax employees if I recall), starts making anime.
Then they create GDH as a holding company and call "Gonzo" the part of GDH that makes anime, with other parts like "GDH games/interactive" (or whatever it was called) handling other things like their online gaming unit.
And now they are reverting back to their original form of just one company called Gonzo that mainly makes anime.

So whiile Gonzo is a sub-company of GDH, Gonzo isn't really the "child" chronologically.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 08:45   Link #143
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Ah, okay. Pretty convoluted history, the poor fellas have, eh?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 10:30   Link #144
jsieczkar

1992: GONZO Inc established -->1999: GONZO K.K.
1996: Digimation K.K
2000: GONZO Digimation Holding established -->2004: GDH
2000: Creators.com K.K. established -->2004: G-creators K.K.
2002: GONZO K.K. and Digimation K.K units merged to become GONZO Digimation K.K --> 2004: GONZO K.K
2003: Future Vision Music K.K. established
2005: GONZINO K.K. established
2005: Warp Gate Online K.K. becomes subsidiary --> GONZO Rosso Online K.K.
2005: GDH CAPITAL K.K. established
2006: GK Entertainment K.K. established
2007: GONZO Rosso Online K.K. and G-creators K.K. merge --> GONZO Rosso K.K
2008: GDH CAPITAL K.K. spun off.
In the end GDH had 3 animation studios a video game studio and a company to manage the music for the 4 studios, anyone see a bit of redundancy? It took GM and GE decades to do what GDH has done in just over a decade.

GK Entertainment K.K. based in Korea has put out a total of three titles
GONZINO K.K. makes children's titles and has had four shows since it started.
jsieczkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 13:14   Link #145
Shadow Kira01

As long as the name "GONZO" stays, its all good.

Spoiler:
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 20:22   Link #146
MINAMI KOTARO
what? who am i?

man~ i'm a big GONZO fanboy...i know i don't really understand their problem...
but i hope they'll be ok
MINAMI KOTARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 05:04   Link #147
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I just noticed that there was one Gonzo show in winter and three more are starting in spring, just as last year. Hasn't it been said Gonzo would reduce their output in 2009 by 50 percent?
Old 2009-03-19, 07:06   Link #148
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I just noticed that there was one Gonzo show in winter and three more are starting in spring, just as last year. Hasn't it been said Gonzo would reduce their output in 2009 by 50 percent?
Good observation. I would be extremely fearful of these shows being extremely poorly animated or even not finishing.

The people working on them have likely been fired and are working as contractors or are expecting to be fired sooner or later...

The question for me is really, will Gonzo stick all their remaining resources on say, 1 or 2 shows and completely shaft the other two, or will they just do all of them equally crappily?
I don't like to say things suck before they are even made, but money = quality in this business and gonzo is lacking in the left hand side of that equation.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-03-19, 10:19   Link #149
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I would be extremely fearful of these shows being extremely poorly animated or even not finishing.
Wouldn't it be better for (what is left of) Gonzo's reputation and financially not to produce that many shows in the first place?
Old 2009-03-20, 03:37   Link #150
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better for (what is left of) Gonzo's reputation and financially not to produce that many shows in the first place?
They are likely not the sole members of the production committee and therefore have no choice but to continue with these particular shows, unless they'd like to get sued into oblivion by the other companies involved in financing.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-03-20, 07:42   Link #151
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Ah, so these projects were already agreed on in better days, I understand.

Well, now I'm wondering if their lawyer gave them wrong advice or if they really knew and meant what they said with "50 percent reduction". Which would mean that there won't be any Gonzo production at all in the second half of 2009. Doing grunt work for other studios then?
Old 2009-03-21, 00:23   Link #152
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Reading this really worries me a bit about the industry as a whole. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of Gonzo's work, I'd heard the name.

With the crazy Bestbuy half price sale and less being produced, maybe we won't see stuff as much over seas. I found an online manga firesale that was selling volumes of manga for like .99 cents per...that's crazy even if it was a mishmash of different series and often not all the volumes. Is anime/manga bottom line not profitable here at all? Will this hurt the industry further--will the studios cut back their diversity and there be less selection? Makes me a bit nervous.
Telmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 05:02   Link #153
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Well, looks like FUNimation will be releasing all future Gonzo titles, from the sounds of this press release:

Quote:
Flower Mound, Texas – March 20, 2008 -- FUNimation® Entertainment and Japanese producer GDH have entered into an agreement to broadcast GDH's current and future hit series via online media distribution and to collaborate on each series DVD launch in the US.
The strategic alliance will begin Friday, March 20 with the action fantasy anime series "The Tower of Druaga" and the action horror series "Blassreiter".
The collaboration will showcase English subtitled versions of GDH properties streamed via FUNimation's website (www.funimation.com) as well as through GDH's key video-sharing partners.

In addition, FUNimation will offer a download-to-own option for these episodes through www.funimation.com and other sites at $1.99 per episode.

“Our eventual goal is to simulcast these series online in tandem with the Japanese broadcast debut,” said Gen Fukunaga, president and CEO of FUNimation Entertainment. “We will also be working much more closely with GDH on the U.S. DVD release of the dubbed series. This coordination will enhance the success of these series in the U.S.”

”We are very excited about this strategic alliance, which enables us to deliver GDH content to US audiences much more effectively in multiple media platforms such as growing online media and traditional packaged media,” said Shinichiro Ishikawa, Executive Vice President of GDH.
You can read the press release on their site and AnimeNewsNetwork.

I figured it'd be worth posting here. I wonder if this has anything to do with their financial trouble or not.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 11:41   Link #154
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
Well, looks like FUNimation will be releasing all future Gonzo titles, from the sounds of this press release:

You can read the press release on their site and AnimeNewsNetwork.

I figured it'd be worth posting here. I wonder if this has anything to do with their financial trouble or not.
Prob. A huge chunk of money prob changed hands for exclusivity rights. They are basically giving up on any extra money generated from bidding wars for a set price with FUNi imo and prob a share of their download profits.

It's a safe, conservative thing to do.
Old 2009-03-24, 02:08   Link #155
rg4619

Quote:
Ah, so these projects were already agreed on in better days, I understand.

Well, now I'm wondering if their lawyer gave them wrong advice or if they really knew and meant what they said with "50 percent reduction". Which would mean that there won't be any Gonzo production at all in the second half of 2009. Doing grunt work for other studios then?
Well, the announcement seems a bit ambiguous.

During next fiscal year, Gonzo intends to reduce the number of projects from eight to four. However, the question is whether this immediately affects series already slated for 2009 or the ones that come after (achieved by downsizing and collapsing teams as existing projects finish up). In the latter case, restructuring is still happening within FY2009, but the outcome won't become apparent until later.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 12:19   Link #156
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Prob. A huge chunk of money prob changed hands for exclusivity rights. They are basically giving up on any extra money generated from bidding wars for a set price with FUNi imo and prob a share of their download profits.

It's a safe, conservative thing to do.
The news didn't say anything about exclusivity except perhaps with DVD rights. But that doesn't cost them anything anymore anyway, since none of the other players left in the R1 market have any money to license anything anyway.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-03-26, 12:07   Link #157
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It would for the better titles in GONZO's future release schedule. There prob would have been a skirmish over Shangri-la.

Edit: And some of those titles would have stayed in Japan gathering dust. DVD rights prob benefits GONZO more for the less than stellar titles that FUNi has to take to get to the better ones. Future streaming coordination benefits both FUNi and GONZO.

Last edited by orion; 2009-03-26 at 12:23.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 20:49   Link #158
rg4619

Quote:
It would for the better titles in GONZO's future release schedule. There prob would have been a skirmish over Shangri-la.
Not with the current state of the market. Overseas sales have been so weak that licensors now waive the (once-hefty) advance.

As Quarkboy mentioned, Funimation is the only major distributor in healthy shape, so bidding wars simply won't happen. No one else has money to throw around.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 02:32   Link #159
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:

Edit: And some of those titles would have stayed in Japan gathering dust. DVD rights prob benefits GONZO more for the less than stellar titles that FUNi has to take to get to the better ones. Future streaming coordination benefits both FUNi and GONZO.
Skirmish? Between who? Funi could outbid anyone else easily if they wanted. ADV has no cash and neither does Bandai, and Media Blasters isn't going to invest in a big title again.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-06-29, 08:43   Link #160
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

http://www.tse.or.jp/news/200906/090629_a.html

!!!

Gonzo is dropped from Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonzo, studios